'Twilight' series pulled from Deseret Book shelves

Hemidakota

Posted Image

Posted Image
By Ethan Thomas
Deseret News

EXCERPT
: The bookstore chain, which is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, recently confirmed that copies of any of the books in the popular series will no longer be found amongst the merchandise in any of its 38 stores.

ARTICLE LINK: MormonTimes - 'Twilight' series pulled from Deseret Book shelves

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest missingsomething

Good! I haven't read the series cover to cover...but I did scan a copy. Its not a series I would buy a teenager to read.

I was impressed that a young LDS Author was getting the recognition until I read some of the content. Now I'm disappointed.

You should really read before you make a judgement. This series is so much better than 90% of what they could be reading. Infact, its no more sexual than Sense and Sensibility.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

But ya'll

I have read the books, cover to cover. These kids dont drink, smoke or have sex. They dont lie or steal. Its fictional of course - duh with vampires... and its nothing "deep or spiritual" but lets be honest - how many kids want to read "church" books for recreation.

It has gotten a little out of hand with obessions - and perhaps this is the problem... I dont know.

As a writer, a reader, I loved this series!

I thought the first book was boring after a few pages, so I haven't read the rest of them. Edward sounds like an extremely controlling person, and a stalker. That bookstore pulling them and offering them as special order isn't going to affect sales, since people can go elsewhere to get them. My guess is that they're probably cheaper at Target or Wal Mart anyway.

Guest queries

My only problem is with the last book, I found the first chapter full of honeymoon intimacy a bit more than I would have wanted a very young girl to experience. I was teaching the 11 year old girls in primary just before it came out, and I know several of them were reading the series. But monitoring their reading material is their parents' job, not mine. My opinion is that the series is perfectly appropriate for maybe 14 and up, maybe 16 for the last book.

As someone who also read the series (ok..i am a guy) I like them..they had cool cars and stuff jk..they were well written but not something to give to some one under 16 imho. Pooks liked em but thought Bella "was a bit whiney" lol. She isnt on the Band wagon of Team Jake or Team Eddie....

I will say this..these where not as dark as Harry was. If my kids talked back to athority like he did..wizard or not he would get his tookis popped for it and a nice little talk about respecting his elders.

ok..done with rant

As a person who has not read this series, or even the Harry Potter series, I don't know what the big deal here is. This is an LDS-centric bookstore that has decided, for whatever reason, to stop putting a certain book on its shelves. They didn't even stop selling it, you can still order it from them. (I don't know why you would do that if you can walk down the street and buy it at any other store, but it's an option) From the things I read about them here and from what my family who has read the books have said, they don't seem to be too bad, and may actually have good themes in them. But Deseret Book has decided they would rather not stock it on their shelves. Perhaps they are transitioning to becoming a more spritual-based bookstore than what they have been for the past decade or so. It's not the end of the world. I'm sure there are many LDS authors who write decent books, even novels, that Deseret Book does not put on its shelves.

The only "questionable content" the Twilight series contain is the terrible writing and wussification of vampires.

Otherwise, I don't see what the big deal is. You read "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Of Mice and Men" in like, what, the fifth grade? How is the fluff that is Twilight controversial in anyway?

Thank you. When I said I felt vindicated, it was in reference to terrible writing and an unjustifiable craze over the books, not any "controversial" content.

As a person who has not read this series... I don't know what the big deal here is. This is an LDS-centric bookstore that has decided, for whatever reason, to stop putting a certain book on its shelves... From the things I read about them here and from what my family who has read the books have said, they don't seem to be too bad, and may actually have good themes in them. But Deseret Book has decided they would rather not stock it on their shelves. Perhaps they are transitioning to becoming a more spritual-based bookstore than what they have been for the past decade or so. It's not the end of the world. I'm sure there are many LDS authors who write decent books, even novels, that Deseret Book does not put on its shelves.

I've not read the series either. But I do think there is a substantial difficulty, as I discussed recently on Times & Seasons.

The problem is along the lines of what you say in your last line "I'm sure there are many LDS authors who write decent books, even novels, that Deseret Book does not put on its shelves."

Yep. you are right. Many books by LDS authors don't reach DB shelves for equally silly reasons. Those reasons make DB and LDS retailers look like they make silly decisions about what to stock. The result is that many active, faithful LDS Church members (most, from what I can tell), have come to the decision that LDS Bookstores aren't worth visiting, because they won't carry what these members want. They also then believe that there aren't LDS books of interest to them, because they can't find anything they like in Deseret Book and other LDS retailers.

This kind of silly decision is actively discouraging good books from being published for an LDS audience.

Good! I haven't read the series cover to cover...but I did scan a copy. Its not a series I would buy a teenager to read.

I was impressed that a young LDS Author was getting the recognition until I read some of the content. Now I'm disappointed.

Really? What sort of content is innapropriate then? I read a lot, and theres usually some sex or something un-church worthy in the books i read. This has nothing as far as I can tell, Im on the 3rd book. In fact, Edward has old fashioned values and wants to marry Bella before they have sex. You think that is inappropriate??

What sort of books would you buy for a teenager?

I think some people can get a little too caught up with this sort of thing. How on earth do u live in the world if you think the Twilight books are unnacceptable?

I started a thread a while back about how I could not get into Twilight. I read half of the first book and gave up.

Then I saw the movie. I loved it, and I think it's because I didn't know the story. I know that probably drops my IQ 20 points in many people's minds, but it's the truth.

So I went back and read the series, starting with the second book since I already knew what the first one was about. Yes, it is sub-par writing, and I agree Bella's constant whining was grating. Sometimes I skipped over those parts.

But it wasn't meant to be great literature. It is escapism, and with that in mind, I enjoyed them.

(I admit, when I was done I had to find a book with more substance, so I've been reading Wally Lamb's "The Hour I First Believed." Hopefully, that will boost my IQ back up at least 10 points in some of your eyes.)

This series is full of many of the values the Church encourages in its young members. In fact, in the last book she refuses to abort her baby, even when everyone around her is telling her she has to. I would think that would be a great message to LDS teens.

I have no problem, however, with DB pulling it from its stores. Perhaps John is right and it wants to focus on a different genre. I don't know, but it's the company's choice.

But the series is not as bad as the article portrays it to be.

Elphaba

I started a thread a while back about how I could not get into Twilight. I read half of the first book and gave up.

Then I saw the movie. I loved it, and I think it's because I didn't know the story. I know that probably drops my IQ 20 points in many people's minds, but it's the truth.

So I went back and read the series, starting with the second book since I already knew what the first one was about. Yes, it is sub-par writing, and I agree Bella's constant whining was grating. Sometimes I skipped over those parts.

But it wasn't meant to be great literature. It is escapism, and with that in mind, I enjoyed them.

(I admit, when I was done I had to find a book with more substance, so I've been reading Wally Lamb's "The Hour I First Believed." Hopefully, that will boost my IQ back up at least 10 points in some of your eyes.)

This series is full of many of the values the Church encourages in its young members. In fact, in the last book she refuses to abort her baby, even when everyone around her is telling her she has to. I would think that would be a great message to LDS teens.

I have no problem, however, with DB pulling it from its stores. Perhaps John is right and it wants to focus on a different genre. I don't know, but it's the company's choice.

But the series is not as bad as the article portrays it to be.

Elphaba

I haven't read that Wally Lamb book. "She's Come Undone" was amazing. You've gotta let me know how "The First Hour...." turns out. I was debating buying it the other day.

I haven't read that Wally Lamb book. "She's Come Undone" was amazing. You've gotta let me know how "The First Hour...." turns out. I was debating buying it the other day.

It is excellent, but much darker than his other books. The plot is full of violent tragedies, including Columbine, and the horrible consequences for a man and his wife. I haven't finished it yet, but so far, there is no redemption in sight. Given the title, I suspect it's coming, but I'm not sure.

"She's Come Undone," is one of my all-time favorite books--it's even in my favorite books in my profile. Maybe I should read that again, as it's been a while. I'm in a place right now where violence probably isn't the best thing for me to be reading.

If you haven't read it, pick up "I Know This Much is True." I enjoyed that as much as SCU.

Elphaba