Mission, age limit and wanting to serve so badly but maybe can't?

wantstoknowok

Hello I was wondering, my friend has wanted to serve a mission since he was 19 but was made to feel like he couldn't because of mental illness that he had to take medication for. So the last 3 years he has been trying to cope without medication and through therapy and truely living the gospel its only been the last three months that he can function completly normal and stable. He says because of the tremendous things he had to overcome and only by a total reliance on the Lord, he can be a great missionary. He is 25 now and will turn 26 at the beginning of the year, but in the process of getting well without medication he wasn't mentally clear and had physical relations with a girl. He wants to serve a mission so badly but he said he is going to tell his Bishop at the end of this year, he has been doing the repentance process but is there any way he can serve a mission, do you think if the Bishop tells him no, and after he officialy goes through the repentance process, would he be able to get an exception because he will be older then 25 and who would he need to talk to? Please let me know. Thank you.

My understanding why he hasn't talked to his Bishop yet is because he currently goes to BYU and he uses the counseling services tremendously and if he told his Bishop now and was kicked out of school he said he would probably end up homeless cause he really needs the help right now while he is off his medicatoin. He said he has to prove to himself that he is able to function normally. To my knowledge he has been able to handel school without medication but of course mission work it totally different. So he plans to go on a very intensive LDS related activity for four months that has a lot of the demands a mission would, so he can see if he could really handle it without medication. He said he has prayed about it and told me that because he is not a threat to anyone's spiritual progress and is going through the repentance process the Lord through prayer finds this acceptable although he is greatly disappointed in his actions and still needs to tell his Bishop. What should I tell him?