Marriage With[out] the Covenant

Guest Lexish

My wife has been a member of the church all of her life. She was the one that introduced me to the church. We were married before my conversion was complete. I have since had some difficulties with my faith in the church, but that's not because of our marriage. It's because my foundation was weak to begin with.

My mother in law is a member of the church, and my father in law has never been a member. Their marriage has been strong for over 40 years, and their children were raised in the church. While my wife's sister became inactive, my wife did not.

My advice to you is to make sure your marriage is founded on love, trust and understanding. Make sure that the man you marry is a good person and will support you even if he doesn't believe what you believe. My sister in law is inactive because her marriage is with a non member that is unsupportive. His disbelief and lack of support pulled her away. My mother in law is active because her husband was supportive and even helped in making sure the kids were always going to church (even if he didn't) and were raised with the right attitude towards God.

In the end... My father in law is still not a member, but he has found Christ at another church and I credit my mother in law with inspiring him to do so. He will go to church with her occasionally, and will even help the LDS membership in setting up / tearing down at events, etc... Were she not a God fearing woman, he would have become something else entirely.

One other thing. If he decides that he wants to become involved with the church, make sure he KNOWS what he is doing. Don't let him do it because of you. Yet don't let him be ignorant of the churches teachings. If he is supportive of you, he will let you talk to him about it because it is a part of your life.

• 3 weeks later...

That was kind of mean Italics.

I think gabelpa asked a good valid honest question. I'm not sure why you felt it was stupid?

He asked that to a NON-member who had the guts and courage to come onto this forum and ask people for help and advice... not be asked a thoughtless, insensitive question that can't possibly serve any constructive purpose in this thread.

If you don't think these sorts of things make us look bad, then wow.

And if you think that Christ would have taken that approach... double wow!

I think Lexish is actually a member of the church... but I guess I understand what you're saying- that someone who's not a member of the church yet might be offended by a question like that. But if they are, it seems like it might be hard to discuss the gospel with them at all without offending them.

What would have been a better way to ask that type of question?

What a stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid comment.

Ugh, and we wonder why people are scared of the church?

If you disagree with someone fine...just say you disagree. But to come in and say what you just said...is also highly inappropriate and highly disrespectful too. Perhaps gabelpa could have expounded on what he meant exactly but to have him attacked like that is not cool.

If you disagree with someone fine...just say you disagree. But to come in and say what you just said...is also highly inappropriate and highly disrespectful too. Perhaps gabelpa could have expounded on what he meant exactly but to have him attacked like that is not cool.

Perhaps he could have expounded on why he was assuming that this person's children weren't going to receive eternal life? Seriously.

And apparently I wasn't the only one who found what he said as being so ridiculous.

PS - I already have expounded on it in this thread