Is Family History essential to our survival?

Zowieink

It has recently come to mind, that in this forum we talk of many things, especially how to survive the upcoming calaminities of the last days. It has been quoted many times the saints will hardly escape unless they do whatsoever the Lord requires of them, or something like that. So, I have pondered and prayed to understand the things that I should be doing. One morning, I had this thought to go look up a quote in Doctrines of Salvation. I got the book off the shelf, blew copious amount of dust off it, and it fell open to this...

Joseph Fielding Smith, in "Doctrines of Salvation" Vol. 2 states, "It matters not what else we have been called to do, or what position we may occupy, or how faithfully in other ways we have labored in the church, none is exempt from this great obligation. It is required of the apostle as well as the humblest elder. Place, or distrinction, or long service in the Church, in the mission field, the states of Zion, or where or how else it may have been, will not entitle one to disregard the salvation of one's dead. Some may feel that if they pay their tithing, attend their regular meetings and other duties, give of their substance to the poor, perchance spend one, two, or more years preaching in the world, that they are absolved from further duty. But the greatest and grandest duty of all is to labor for the dead."

DC 128:15 states that...."let me assure you that these principles in relation to the dead and the living that cannot be lightly passed over, as pertaining to our salvation. For their salvation is necessary and essential to our salvation, as Paul says conceerning the fathers-that they without us cannot be made perfect-neither can we without our dead be made perfect." We know, from the sealing ordinance, that one must be sealed for eternity to..."come forth in the morning of the first resurrection, clothed in power"...etc.

Joseph Fielding Smith goes on..."From this, then we see that while it is necessary to preach the gospel in the nations of the earth, and to do all other good works in the Church, yet the greatest commandment given us, and made obligatory, is the temple work in our own behalf and in behalf of our dead."

So brethren and sisters, it seems to me that in all of our discussions, this is entirely left out. It also seems, that if we do not do it, to the best of our abilities, then we are not doing whatsoever the Lord has commanded us to do. If this is so important, and is obligatory, then if we aren't participating in finding and doing the temple work for our ancestors does that mean we will be under condemnation and won't receive the divine help when things get really black? Are our ancestors, that we have released from the Spirit World through temple work, going to be permitted to help us in difficult times ahead?

Well, to finish the story, it affected me greatly. My wife has always been a genealogist, and I'm a slothful part-time one. But this put things in a new focus. I thought then that this forum might give some insight into this also.....

My opinion is that Genealogy is not essential for "survival" in the life, but is it essential for "salvation."

We will not make it to the celestial kingdom if we're not obedient and the purpose of genealogy is to bring our family with us. I would like my family to all be together in the Celestial Kingdom including those who have moved on to the Spirit World.

There is a time and season for all things. I used to worry that I wasn't getting my genealogy done. This was back when I was a young mom of four and I was working too. Now my children are grown. I cannot work even if I wanted to. AND I have the time as well as the desire to work on genealogy. (I need to start again on a family mystery on my Dad's side.)

It is recommended that you do at least six generations. Usually that is not very hard to do.

Also, remember if you're going to the temple you're participating in genealogy. We do the research so that the temple work can be done for those who didn't get the chance in this life.

applepansy

It is interesting, though, when you think of the scriptures and words of the prophets concerning family history/temple work in this life.

I have often wondered if there is an extra help in difficult times if we are doing this work. Otherwise, why not wait until the millenium.:rolleyes:

It is interesting, though, when you think of the scriptures and words of the prophets concerning family history/temple work in this life.

I have often wondered if there is an extra help in difficult times if we are doing this work. Otherwise, why not wait until the millenium.:rolleyes:

Of oourse there are always blessings when we are obedient. Whenever we do as we're asked we are blessed. Blessings are directly related to commandments.

applepansy

Joseph Fielding Smith, in "Doctrines of Salvation" Vol. 2 states, "It matters not what else we have been called to do, or what position we may occupy, or how faithfully in other ways we have labored in the church, none is exempt from this great obligation. It is required of the apostle as well as the humblest elder. Place, or distrinction, or long service in the Church, in the mission field, the states of Zion, or where or how else it may have been, will not entitle one to disregard the salvation of one's dead. Some may feel that if they pay their tithing, attend their regular meetings and other duties, give of their substance to the poor, perchance spend one, two, or more years preaching in the world, that they are absolved from further duty. But the greatest and grandest duty of all is to labor for the dead."

Actually, I would disagree. We are told to do the works and have the faith to be saved in the highest glory. Now, what I can say, unless we first seek out the Savior as the Prophet Joseph Smith did, we should tremble over our salvation. Most in the church feel, as long we are doing the work and have the faith, we shall inherit the Celestial Kingdom. I do not agree on that assumption. Unless the Lord made it known - personally - then we should fear and tremble over our salvation. Once that is complete in receiving the Second Comforter, our thoughts should be on in saving our immediate family, then our closes friends, last, save our enemies. The first steps in seeking the Godhead and all things will fall in place there after.