There's No Place Like Home

Snow

My home is in Minnesota. I live in a tiny house in a small woods, surrounded by fields. But at the same time, I can see the glowing Target sign and stop lights when I look through the trees. My grandparents used to live on the farm right next to us. On my mom's side, my relatives have been living in this area for generations. I live in a town of Germans. Actually, my whole county is pretty German. Housing developments are everywhere. My town has a large lake with an island. Back in the day it used to be a tourist destination. Hotel and all. Looking at the island now, you couldn't even guess. My town is a place where everybody knows each other. There's about 8,000 people in my town, but you still end up running into at least 20 people you know at the grocery store :)

I am really enjoying this thread. For some reason I find it all very intriguing and personal. I especially like descriptions that are the opposite of where I live - the places surrounded by woods or wildlife.

... thank you all and I look forward to more...

Where do I live? I'll try to be cheerful and skip over all the unpleasantries.

Being an Army Brat, I've never really known Home Sweet Home. I've hunted for it all my life and suppose I will only know it in the next life, at least I hope so...

Hmmm...

Southern Mississippi approximately 30 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico give or take a few miles here or there depending upon the road you travel and about 30 miles give or take a few west of Mobile.

Out in the woods, if you know what a tree looks like just imagine a whole herd of them all jumbled together nicely in their own ways, four acre yard.

Fruit & Fruit Trees growing here in a small orchard:

Blueberries

Grapes

Muskidine

Apple

Peach

Pear

The front drive or road leading to the house has just recently been paved, it was one of the last two dirt roads left in the county up until just recently.

It is lined with rose/pink crepe myrtle trees.

There are also mimosa, dogwood, azalea, oaks (3 different kinds I think), pines, cedars, weeping willows, Japanese magnolias, both pink and purple.

Southern Magnolias

I suppose through the woods we live several miles from Belengrath Gardens.

Let's see, there are many creeks and rivers running through the area in various locations.

The weather the last few days have been breezy and over cast, however the heat will come and it gets sweltering down here.

The road we live on is named after my grandfather, but if they had asked him what he would like to have the road named, he would have called this place something like "Breezy Hills Estates".

While sitting outside here, it gets so quite that you can hear the crickets and whippoorwill's at night and the the mocking birds and woodpeckers during the day as well as a blue jay scolding something.

You can watch the dragonflies zoom through along with the hummingbirds as well as watch some pretty hefty squirrels run up and down the trees and such chattering away at one another as they play tag round and round the trees.

I live in a largish city, it's the 3rd largest city in my state but that isn't saying much. I live in an older area of town, the houses are beautiful but kind of shabby. When I was a kid it was a much rougher area and there were hardly any other kids around. Now there are more families with kids and the houses are being fixed up a bit.

There are many beautiful old trees lining the streets. We have raspberry plants and plum and prune trees in our backyard. Every year I tell myself this year I'm going to plant a garden but it never happens. Probably for the best, I have an anti green thumb and just seem to kill any plant that is unlucky enough to have me to take care of it.

I only live a few blocks from the green belt and from the temple. I love taking walks down in that area. I also live only a few blocks from the baseball park. Every year on opening night they set off fireworks, you’d think I’d be used to it by now right? Nope every year it startles me and I have a moment of “oh jeez something just exploded outside, there it goes again, is this a run away moment or a don’t even bother just kiss your bum goodbye moment.” Then my brother usually yells for us to come see the fireworks and I feel silly and vow that next year the fireworks won’t startle me that way again.

This is a cool topic!

I live in a big town, about 185000 people. Its a London overspill so it has a London feel. I.E lots of empty vandalised buildings ghetto-type areas, high crime rates and a football stadium. 20% of the population are unemployed and on benefits. Its very multicultural. 33% of the population are asian, 10,000 are Polish and another 5,000 are Eastern european. The town is very industrial and working class and right next to one of the main motorways in the country, the M1.

The main thing about the town is the famous airport, which we live half a mile from.

Needless to say, I hate the place but its location is very central with good travel links. 25 mins to London, 40 mins to Paris.

We live on the very outskirts of town about 50 yards from the next county. We have a little 2 bed cluster house, 3 houses joined together. Its a nice estate and our house overlooks country side and empty fields. You can see the planes fly into the airport from our house but we are not in the flight path as theres no noise. Its peaceful and the walks in the countryside are beautiful. We back onto some of the most beautiful green English countryside for miles.The chapel is in the flight path so its pretty noisy but u get used to it.

Oh yeah..the oldest building in the town dates back to the 1540s-when Henry VIII was on the throne. Its a pub and we eat there probably once a fortnight. It has beams and open fires. The church in the town centre was built in the 1100s so the town is 900 years old. I know u Americans love the historic side of Britain! :P

:offtopic: How much does it cost to travel from Britain to Germany or France? Like If you and the spouse wanted to go site seeing for a weekend what would it cost?

This is a cool topic!

I live in a big town, about 185000 people. Its a London overspill so it has a London feel. I.E lots of empty vandalised buildings ghetto-type areas, high crime rates and a football stadium. 20% of the population are unemployed and on benefits. Its very multicultural. 33% of the population are asian, 10,000 are Polish and another 5,000 are Eastern european. The town is very industrial and working class and right next to one of the main motorways in the country, the M1.

The main thing about the town is the famous airport, which we live half a mile from.

Needless to say, I hate the place but its location is very central with good travel links. 25 mins to London, 40 mins to Paris.

We live on the very outskirts of town about 50 yards from the next county. We have a little 2 bed cluster house, 3 houses joined together. Its a nice estate and our house overlooks country side and empty fields. You can see the planes fly into the airport from our house but we are not in the flight path as theres no noise. Its peaceful and the walks in the countryside are beautiful. We back onto some of the most beautiful green English countryside for miles.The chapel is in the flight path so its pretty noisy but u get used to it.

Oh yeah..the oldest building in the town dates back to the 1540s-when Henry VIII was on the throne. Its a pub and we eat there probably once a fortnight. It has beams and open fires. The church in the town centre was built in the 1100s so the town is 900 years old. I know u Americans love the historic side of Britain! :P

Hahah. I live in Egham, Soul. :D I'm amazed at how many people live right around the corner from me.

Wow. Living by that much history is almost unimaginable to me. The oldest building in this area is about 120 years old :P

That's nothing, I live in an area that has seen little change since Cambrian times (at least politically). We have however gradually seen the Trilobytes replaced with the High Priests Quorum.

:D

One of the things I enjoy here is reading posts from people who live in different places describe their surroundings. I'd like to know what it's like where you are.

As for me... I live in a sea of people, millions upon millions in the greater metropolitan area, city, next to city, next to city almost without end, criss-crossed with a lattice of freeways. My city is seemingly nothing but roof tops, telephone poles, palm trees and asphalt. However, just a mile away I've got the blue Pacific Ocean and mile after mile of beach and surf.

I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood, modest homes but costing well in excess of 500 k... the same money would get you a McMansion elsewhere. My house is two stories and one of the things that I like most is that my study is on the second floor overlooking the cul-de-sac where I can watch the kids play. The yard is modest sized, but well-laid out and full of foliage, all newly planted in the past year. My ward is a block away.

I live in Southern California - Orange County - Downtown Los Angeles is 30 miles away. Every night we hear the fireworks at Disneyland at 9:30pm

Where do you live?

I live in Ogden, Utah, which I know you know all about, since there's not a whole lot to know about.

However, I grew up where you live now. We also watched the fireworks every night, and it is one of the very few magical memories of my childhood.

Just think, if I had stayed in California, we might be neighbors. I can't decide whether that would have been a good thing, or not. :P

Elphaba