men vs. women.....let the battle begin :)

bodhigirlsmiles

this is a topic that has been discussed for as long as there were men and women, perhaps, but i would like to know your various opinions on it.

it has been said that men and women are fundamentaly different. now, setting aside obvious physical differences, do you believe this to be the case?

it has been said women are more emotional (or, at least, more in tune with their emotions), more nurturing, gentler, etc.

do you think that men are really that different in essentials?

or, is it a matter of each individual?

this is a topic that has been discussed for as long as there were men and women, perhaps, but i would like to know your various opinions on it.

it has been said that men and women are fundamentaly different. now, setting aside obvious physical differences, do you believe this to be the case?

Are Rome apples fundamentally different from McIntosh apples? Are Clydesdales fundamentally different from Shires? Are whippets fundamentally different from greyhounds? Comparing Rome apples with greyhounds, I'd say the apples are fundamentally identical, as are the dogs, but the apples are fundamentally different from the dogs.

So far as I can tell, men and women have the same emotions, the same responses, the same intellectual capacities, the same (basic) physical attributes, and the same general outlook on life. We focus on the differences because we want to be able to discriminate between the sexes, as is appropriate. We rejoice in the differences that allow each sex to fill in the gaps for the other. But we would do well to remember the overwhelming sameness that make us all the same type of being.

Why, just Saturday we were listening to my old Harry Belafonte vinyl record:

Let us put men and women together

To find out which one is smarter

Some say men, but I say no

The women got the men like a puppet show

Chorus

That's right, the women are [audience: smarter!]

That's right! That's right.

In the Garden of Eden Adam built a home

As soon as he finished Eve start to roam

Many a night Adam spent in pain

As soon as Eve was able she was raising cain

Chorus

The Garden of Eden was very nice

Adam didn't have to work in paradise

Eve meets snake, paradise gone

She made Adam work from that day on

Chorus

Methuselah spent all his life in tears

He hadn't met a woman in nine hundred years

One night he decided to have some fun

The poor man never lived to see nine hundred and one

Chorus

it has been said women are more emotional (or, at least, more in tune with their emotions), more nurturing, gentler, etc.

do you think that men are really that different in essentials?

or, is it a matter of each individual?

In using the Genesis story of the creation of ADAM [first one] would look like when there are both genders on the same body. ^_^

yes.....but with a finer point on men vs. women.

are women really more emotional than men? are women really more capable of being nurturing toward a child, for example?

Generalities are always dangerous, and as a guy I can't claim to know what goes on inside a woman's head. But I would venture to state that in our culture, women do tend to display more emotion and are generally better all-around with kids.

Now, whether this is an instinctual thing or merely a byproduct of generations of social conditioning--I wouldn't venture to guess.

I work with 6 other software developers at work, none of them are female and to date I don't think we've even had any female applicants. It certainly could be the case that most females are raised to not care software development and face discrimination in that field and those are the only reasons that over 90% of software developers are male, but I find it hard to believe that it is completely unrelated to some type of predisposition in the formation of female brains vs male brains to gravitate toward different subjects for study and careers.

Don't get me wrong, I've met guys who wouldn't be able to write software even with decades of tutoring and I've met brilliant female software developers so I would definitely not judge skill based on gender, but with how few female software developers there are, I find it hard to believe that it is 100% on the nurture side.

Women seem more emotional, more nurturing, as a whole. The other major difference is that most women seem much more capable of multi-tasking then most men. In essence, the women are smarter. BUT, this is also a hinderence. Because women tend to multi-task more, they are less likely to prioritize, and less likely to master. In general, they are so good at getting everything done, that they seldom become brilliant at one or two things.

Men are more likely to sluff by on many things, but to find the one or two things they excel at, and become truly outstanding in those limited areas.

I sometimes joke that if females were the dominant gender then we likely would have discovered nuclear weaponry in the mid-16th century. On the other hand, we may not have survived that century. :-)

I sometimes joke that if females were the dominant gender then we likely would have discovered nuclear weaponry in the mid-16th century. On the other hand, we may not have survived that century. :-)

*nods*

Yes, sometimes it would be nice to be a masculine brute and just punch someone's lights out when they deserve it and get it over with, rather than having to fret over it all girly style.

Emotionally I am somewhat masculine, I am not exactly the nurturing type and I think My husband is the same, he is more emotionally female.

He grew up in a traditional household with reinforced gender roles, and I did not. So I think in my husband's case he is just wired differently than most guys. There was nothing in his upbringing that would have encouraged his femininity.

I believe my emotional masculinity came from having an overly feminine mother. Not so much in actions (she's a police officer which is a traditionally male job).

I behave quite femininely, however I become very aggravated being around women. Their emotions are just bizarre to me. My husband can't stand being around men, who he thinks are emotionally bankrupt. I dunno, neither of us fit into our gender types which is why we get along so well with each other.

I wouldn't say that women are any more or less emotional than men, but studies indicate that women use both sides of their brain at the same time which would indicate that they would exercise judgement more in tune with their emotional intelligence whereas men would use only their logical intelligence. Obviously this isn't the case for matters of the heart but those aren't decisions I'm talking about.

There have also been studies that show that the male brain is more equipped for spatial awareness, whereas women take note of details. A study where they ran groups of boys and girls through mazes. The groups were able to see the mazes from above at a point in the maze so they could see the entire maze. After running the mazes they came to the conclusion that in mazes with more identifiable features like fountains or benches etc etc the girls did noticibly better, but in the mazes with less identifiable features the boys did noticibly better. This is the reason for why 'in general' males are better at things that require spatial awareness such as a game of chess. There are always exceptions to any rule but in general thats the rule.

Jamie clears his throat to sing:

This is a maaaaan's world

This is a man's world

But it wouldn't be nothing....nothing....nothing

Without a woman or a girl

Man made...

[lots of different things]

He's lost in the wilderness

He's lost in bitterness

Without a woman or a girl....

etc.

That's all I've got to say on the subject ;)

I work with 6 other software developers at work, none of them are female and to date I don't think we've even had any female applicants. It certainly could be the case that most females are raised to not care software development and face discrimination in that field and those are the only reasons that over 90% of software developers are male, but I find it hard to believe that it is completely unrelated to some type of predisposition in the formation of female brains vs male brains to gravitate toward different subjects for study and careers.

Don't get me wrong, I've met guys who wouldn't be able to write software even with decades of tutoring and I've met brilliant female software developers so I would definitely not judge skill based on gender, but with how few female software developers there are, I find it hard to believe that it is 100% on the nurture side.

I've been a paid software developer since I was 12. And I'm female. And I'm very good at my job. And in my old company, there were 6 women and 2 men managed by a woman project manager with the CIO being a woman.

But, I will attest that there is a marked difference between a woman and a man. This may be a product of their sexual orientation and gender role. For example, when faced with an enemy, a female's first instinct is to flee. A man's first instinct is to fight. This can be attributed to the amount and placement of muscles present in each genetic make-up.

Also, when faced with a situation when an entire boat of mixed genders is about to sink, man's first instinct is to protect the women, women's first instinct is to protect the children. This can also be attributed to the fact that it only takes 1 man to replenish one generation of humans whereas, it takes an entire harem of women. In this sense, men except 1 fertile one, is dispensable in ensuring the survival of the species. Also, only the woman has mammary glands that can feed the young. Therefore, nurture of the children defaults to them, enhancing their instincts to protect the children.

I can go on and on about this. In any case, read the book Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. It holds true to many of my friends and family and gives you a much better insight on how to "deal with" the opposite gender.

Off topic:

It makes me sad watching a woman insist on playing basketball with the men. There was one girl on our stake that did this. First of all, it is unfair to the men because it goes against their nature to physically shove women. They end up playing a very controlled game giving the woman advantages. And then, if the men decide, to heck with it, she wants to play with the men, then we treat her like a man, and start shoving her and competing with her, it is really sad too. Because, like what I said above, this breaks the protective nature of men towards women that is necessary for the survival of the species.

Edited by anatess

Off topic:

It makes me sad watching a woman insist on playing basketball with the men. There was one girl on our stake that did this. First of all, it is unfair to the men because it goes against their nature to physically shove women. They end up playing a very controlled game giving the woman advantages. And then, if the men decide, to heck with it, she wants to play with the men, then we treat her like a man, and start shoving her and competing with her, it is really sad too. Because, like what I said above, this breaks the protective nature of men towards women that is necessary for the survival of the species.

lol, lots of girls play ball in our stake, and here i was not shoving on them/playing lighter than normal cas I thought I was worried about touching them inappropriately :lol:

Guest Alana

So in The Family: A Proclamation it states "Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children."

I don't think that all women are better than all men at nurturing. I don't think being a nurture is a strong point for all women. With that being said are women in general nurtures? Yes. Even if someone doesn't feel like a 'good' nurture, it will generally be better received by others when a women attempts to be kind and gentle and loving (or how ever you inturpret being nurturing) than when presented by a man.

I was raised by my dad. My dad is a stereotypical 'manly man.' There was still a lot of nurturing:)

Gender differences? Absolutely. But really, I see them all as positives, not as negatives, especially when focusing on what we do have, not on what we lack.

So in The Family: A Proclamation it states "Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children."

I don't think that all women are better than all men at nurturing. I don't think being a nurture is a strong point for all women. With that being said are women in general nurtures? Yes. Even if someone doesn't feel like a 'good' nurture, it will generally be better received by others when a women attempts to be kind and gentle and loving (or how ever you inturpret being nurturing) than when presented by a man.

I was raised by my dad. My dad is a stereotypical 'manly man.' There was still a lot of nurturing:)

Gender differences? Absolutely. But really, I see them all as positives, not as negatives, especially when focusing on what we do have, not on what we lack.

As a parent of 5 children; 3 boys and 2 girls I have come to the conclusion that there are different needs and responses to life for boys verses girls. I believe that it is important for each child to connect and find comfort in that with which they were born to and to make the best of it they can - which does not mean seeking to fulfill the personal passions wants and desires, whatever such may be.

Living for self, especially to the extremes of defining one's self based exclusively on selfish wants, desires and passions are distractive both to the individual and to those that are in contact with such individuals.

The Travler

Guest JHM-in-Bountiful

I've been in therapy for most of my life. I prefer to have a woman as a therapist than a man. The men that have worked with me, seem to give advice like reading out of a textbook. Women are more in tune with what really needs to be said. They tend to have a better understanding with emotions and how to work with them.

^See i'm the exact opposite. I can't stand female psychologists. I feel like they are too emotional. I don't want someone to cry with me, I want someone to shut up, listen to me, and then offer a couple problem-solving solutions.

I feel like women are also more catty and judgemental. I don't feel comfortable baring my soul to women psychologists because i'm convinced they are secretly criticizing me in their minds.

I don't like women doctors, in general. I've always asked for male doctors, even my OBGYN is a guy. There was one female student doctor in the surgery room when my son was being born, and I asked her to leave. I just wanted to punch her in the face the entire time because she wouldn't shut up about the "miracle of birth".

I just don't like women. There are a few that are okay. My mother-in-law is probably one of the only women i've ever gotten along with.

This may be a product of their sexual orientation and gender role.

What does it have to do with their sexual orientation?

Off topic:

That makes me sad too. All of these selfish women out there breaking the law of nature by asking to play with the boys.

In fact, I read that scientists predict this particular protective law of nature will start cracking in 2011 if all of these billions of women don't stop being so selfish.

But there is a bright side. This way we won't have to wait for gay marriage to bring about the end of the species.

Elphaba