microchips for children

bodhigirlsmiles

this may be a crazy idea, but what do you think?

i know there are some devices that track a child if they wander off, but, to my knowledge, there are no implantable microchips for humans.

there are so many awful stories lately of creeps stalking, kidnapping, raping, abusing, and murdering children (i cannot think of anything that makes me angrier!!), that it may be a good idea for children to have a microchip whereby law enforcement may find them if they go missing.

what do you think?

i realize that this would require surgery (and would result in some pain for the child), but it would be minimal and i think the benefits far outweigh the pain that would be endured.

is this a crazy idea?!? i'm sure i'm not the first that came up with this, but we got our dog microchipped recently and it started me thinking.....

Fear can make many things seem like a good idea.

I think it is crazy, because I'm a crazy paranoid person ;) and I believe information like that could fall into the wrong hands also.

I have heard various accounts of people being microchipped, and I remember hearing 2-3 years ago that Washington DC was going to begin microchipping homeless people. Don't get me started.

Fear can make many things seem like a good idea.

that is true!

I believe information like that could fall into the wrong hands also.

how so??

I have heard various accounts of people being microchipped, and I remember hearing 2-3 years ago that Washington DC was going to begin microchipping homeless people. Don't get me started.

that does sound awful! i am just trying to think of a way to better protect children. it breaks my heart everytime i hear about crimes against children. i know that crimes against adults are terrible as well, but there is something so special about children that makes it seem all the worse.

:(

this may be a crazy idea, but what do you think?

i know there are some devices that track a child if they wander off, but, to my knowledge, there are no implantable microchips for humans.

there are so many awful stories lately of creeps stalking, kidnapping, raping, abusing, and murdering children (i cannot think of anything that makes me angrier!!), that it may be a good idea for children to have a microchip whereby law enforcement may find them if they go missing.

what do you think?

i realize that this would require surgery (and would result in some pain for the child), but it would be minimal and i think the benefits far outweigh the pain that would be endured.

is this a crazy idea?!? i'm sure i'm not the first that came up with this, but we got our dog microchipped recently and it started me thinking.....

Years ago, we [engineers] were asked to come up with ten technologies that can be implemented for the Corps by the year 2050. Noting the latest RFP technology, I wrote a brief concept on how to employ a chip for the average Marine grunt or active personnel in using such device for battlefield conditions. It was to be implanted in the right wrist with all of the active Marine information, monitor his/her vitals signs by SatCom, and employ GPS for location. Clearly I thought, this would aid in eliminating MIAs but what I had learned later, it would be detrimental to personal freedom. The same chip could be employed to the civilian sector for such children and so forth but we know in the end, when a government deemed itself the master of each of individual as to tell us what is good for us, it could easily fall into the wrong hands for the wrong reasons. So my advice is - NO -. A GPS type cell phone can be turned off and on by you and easily track your child.

Edited by Hemidakota

Don't let the stories get you scared. Statistically, children are far more safe in today's society than you think. let your kids out of their cages a little. They will be ok, and they will be better prepared to handle the challenges that life throws at them.

I don't think microchipping children will do anything significant. Most children who are sexually molested know their abuser, and the snatching by a stranger is so rare as to be insignificant. Better to teach your children self esteem and to know that if someone does attempt to abuse them (usually through manipulation and mind games) they are strong enough to stop it and to tell an adult.

Quite honestly, kids need to be taught more about traffic safety than "stranger danger."

A really good LDS fiction book was written by Gerald Lund on a similar premise. Only it is a chip implanted in everyone that will give you pain if you think about doing something wrong. It's called The Alliance. I love it! I know your premise is different, but I just love that book. :lol:

Here is a blog with lots of links about chipping people. I have NOT read it all, so please take it for what it is worth.

I don't think it is good. There are conspiracy theorists that believe babies are being chipped at birth. There are people who believe that all military and police are chipped. I don't know if it is true because I haven't really researched it. I just don't get a good feeling about it.

I don't think microchipping our children would keep them out of trouble or danger, and might actually provide a false sense of security.

We recently had a rather tragic example of it's uselessness here in Washington. A Level 3 homeless pedophile raped and murdered a 13 year old girl in an empty field she was walking across on her way home from hanging out with friends. He had a GPS tracking anklette on as part of his parole agreement. All it did was confirm that he was in that place at the time of the rape/murder. It did nothing to deter him or allow authorities due notice that he was doing anything wrong.

I think with children it might tell you where they are, but you still don't know if that location is at the bottom of a pool, or if other people in that location are doing them harm. And by the time you get there the harm is already done.

Chipping children is inhumane. The notion is simply a manifestation of our failure to enforce the laws of the land. The technology would become more of a liberty destroying agent in the hands of government than a benefit to individuals. The U.K. debated chipping criminals

See this story:

The future policies we should be concerned about is government control over healthcare and mandatory chipping which will probably become an issue in our lifetime. The end-of-the world types have already decided the chip is the mark of the beast. The idea is that the chip will replace the debit card.

I personally find the notion repulsive and dehumanizing. I am not to be scanned like a turkey in the check out aisle.

-a-train

The problem I see with microchipping children is they grow up. The microchip is still there. What's to say that as adults their privacy in many ways would be compromised because of a chip? I don't think I would want to lose some of my privacy as an adult.

i think child abductions is not happening as often as "we" think it is.

I was just going through my mail fliers and they always have a "Have you seen me" section.

The case was a girl who went missing at age 18 in 1975. This seems to be a common thing in these papers, abductions are from 15-20 years ago. Unless they go in Chronological order i seems to indicate things aren't that bad.

Nope

No Chipping!

If children were meant to come with their own set of embedded chips, they'd also come with owners manuals and remote controls.

I agree with everyone - microchipping children is WRONG!

LOL I've longed for owners manuals... never thought of a remote, but it would have come in handy with my oldest at age 15.... or even my 24yo who still lives at home. :lol:

Mom: Do the dishes before you watch TV.

Son: ok

later Mom sees son watching TV, dishes not done.

Mom pushes a button. :D

I agree with everyone - microchipping children is WRONG!

LOL I've longed for owners manuals... never thought of a remote, but it would have come in handy with my oldest at age 15.... or even my 24yo who still lives at home. :lol:

Mom: Do the dishes before you watch TV.

Son: ok

later Mom sees son watching TV, dishes not done.

Mom pushes a button. :D

I think those devices that have sounds only teens can hear would be perfect here. Just keep pushing the button until they scream to be allowed to do the dishes just to make it stop.

I think we should just go with the communicator pins that they use on Star Trek, they're always tracking each other that way, plus it's a communication device, added bonus! And while we're at it, someone needs to invent that beaming technology, that would really save on gasoline!