The Inferiority of Women

Snow

Snow correct me if I am wrong..but didn't women possess some type of Priesthood authority back in early days? With the restoration of the Gospel and perhaps with a more modern revelation approach that is no longer the case.

I must admit I have not thought much on the subject. I was brought up in the Church knowing that the men held the Priesthood. I've never thought much about whether women could/would or should hold it.

While I do believe Christ and Heavenly Father hold women in very high esteem..I'm not sure if women holding the Priesthood is the plan. Very interesting question.

Maxine Hanks - excommunicated for heresy - claims that yes, in the early days of the Church women had some sort of direct connection to the priesthood. During the 1830 - 1850 women received authority for blessings, healings, prophecies, priesthood keys - she says.

That power was reduced and then lost at the end of the century and then again in the 1970's

I don't know how correct she is but I do believe there is sometime to it. It's clear that the church viewed Eliza Snow as a prophetess and was the president over a self-governing Relief Society - which of course it is no longer.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I do remember learning about that. That at one time women held power to give blessings and such. It would be interesting to research exactly if and when those powers were lost. It makes me wonder if there were a lack of enough righteous Priesthood holders in the early days of the Church or not enough revelation or insight into who was to hold the keys to those things. Many things in the early history of the restoration of the Church was not clear and a learning process was of course needed.

Let me clarify something I noticed I said...I meant to say: It would be interesting to research exactly if women held the Priesthood and if so when those powers were lost.

Edited by pam

Or perhaps that WAS the revelation given to Joseph Smith concerning women at the time and modern revelation has changed that process.

Pam, check this book out over on google. Sisters in Spirit. You can read a bunch of it online.

There is at least one journal entry by Brigham Young that says Emma was the first woman to receive the "fullness of the priesthood."

The Relief Society minutes use the words "ordained." They were ordained and set apart to heal the sick and comfort the sorrowful. I find it interesting that JS is quoted as saying "I now turn the key to you" when we usually use the word "key" in reference to the priesthood and authority [RS Minutes].

Also, D&C 25:7 states speaking of Emma:

And thou shalt be ordained under his hand to expound scriptures, and to exhort the church, according as it shall be given thee by my Spirit.

Anyway, the sisters never claimed to have been ordained to the priesthood. Obviously the lines were much blurrier then, though. They had much more power and authority. It was watered down over the years until it was squashed.