Difference between Telestial and Terrestrial

wandy

It is amazing to me that the vast majority of LDS do not understand the doctrine of the telestial kingdom. Those that die go to a literal hell to be tormented and subjected to the will of the adversary until the judgment day at the end of the millenium. There are many people who have seen hell..check out Youtube. Joseph F. Smith stated that the vast majority of mankind will inherit the telestial kingdom. That is why the Lord told us all to repent or we would suffer as He did. The fact that people are deluded into thinking this is mild mental suffering is ludicrous. This suffering is EQUIVALENT to the Lord's suffering for our sins. There are numerous scriptures that support this doctrine. That being said..if a soul has sincere repentance before he dies...the Lord alone will judge the totality of his life. You are to be commended for repenting in this life. I am optimistic for you!

On 1/24/2023 at 2:13 PM, Jewels said:

It is amazing to me that the vast majority of LDS do not understand the doctrine of the telestial kingdom. Those that die go to a literal hell to be tormented and subjected to the will of the adversary until the judgment day at the end of the millenium. There are many people who have seen hell..check out Youtube. Joseph F. Smith stated that the vast majority of mankind will inherit the telestial kingdom. That is why the Lord told us all to repent or we would suffer as He did. The fact that people are deluded into thinking this is mild mental suffering is ludicrous. This suffering is EQUIVALENT to the Lord's suffering for our sins. There are numerous scriptures that support this doctrine. That being said..if a soul has sincere repentance before he dies...the Lord alone will judge the totality of his life. You are to be commended for repenting in this life. I am optimistic for you!

I don't know that I feel personally qualified to know what the vast majority of members feel about anything but in regards to this subject in particular I would imagine hell and the Telestial Kingdom are not the main worry. Rather, I would say that only qualifying for the Terrestrial Kingdom is the bigger worry, falling short of Exaltation. If we are interpreting the parables correctly it will be about a 50/50 split. That's still sad.

One thing I have learned about religion is that ten devout religious individuals can read through all the scriptures available and become convinced in 10 vastly different dogmas (doctrines) are the one and only truth that must be observed to go to heaven and be with G-d.  Obviously all or at least nine are incorrect and lying to themselves.  At the last supper when Christ informed his beloved apostles that there was one among them that would betray him – what was the response.  Not a single one thought it was Judas because he believe incorrect doctrine.  Rather they all considered their own error.

I am inclined to think G-d will not judge who qualifies for what.  I believe in agency and that we will determine a kingdom of our own choice – that no one will be forced according to someone else’s desires, not even G-d’s.  I believe this is precisely what the war in heaven was about – taking away agency and forcing acceptance upon everyone according to the whim of one or a few.    I am convinced that no one will want to participate for eternity in a “glory” contrary to their liking.  That the only ones ending up in whatever kingdom (or hell) are those that desired so.  I have no problem with anyone that desires to be in heaven with G-d be so granted.

I believe that all the talk about kingdoms, heaven, glories and such is to determine for ourselves where and what we desire to strive for.  Not for figuring out (judging and condemning) others as we would decide to any degree where anyone else ought to be forced accept for themselves.

The Traveler

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2023 at 11:27 AM, Traveler said:

One thing I have learned about religion is that ten devout religious individuals can read through all the scriptures available and become convinced in 10 vastly different dogmas (doctrines) are the one and only truth that must be observed to go to heaven and be with G-d.  Obviously all or at least nine are incorrect and lying to themselves.  At the last supper when Christ informed his beloved apostles that there was one among them that would betray him – what was the response.  Not a single one thought it was Judas because he believe incorrect doctrine.  Rather they all considered their own error.

I am inclined to think G-d will not judge who qualifies for what.  I believe in agency and that we will determine a kingdom of our own choice – that no one will be forced according to someone else’s desires, not even G-d’s.  I believe this is precisely what the war in heaven was about – taking away agency and forcing acceptance upon everyone according to the whim of one or a few.    I am convinced that no one will want to participate for eternity in a “glory” contrary to their liking.  That the only ones ending up in whatever kingdom (or hell) are those that desired so.  I have no problem with anyone that desires to be in heaven with G-d be so granted.

I believe that all the talk about kingdoms, heaven, glories and such is to determine for ourselves where and what we desire to strive for.  Not for figuring out (judging and condemning) others as we would decide to any degree where anyone else ought to be forced accept for themselves.

The Traveler

I have come to a similar conclusion.  We go to the Kingdom whose laws we are willing to obey.  To reach the Telestial, you just have to not become a son of perdition.  Pretty low bar, since you already came to earth.  To reach the Terrestrial, you just have to not be an unrepentant liar, adulterer, thief, or murderer.  To reach the Celestial, however, you have to strive to live those covenants made in the temple in person or by proxy, repenting along the way, until ultimately you always choose to do what is right.  Whichever kingdom is chosen, all sins must be paid for in person, if one chooses not to take advantage of Christ's atonement. As D&C 19 indicates, that is not a pleasant process.

It is not difficult to see why people, of their own will, will choose the subset of laws they are comfortable following, and thus, ultimately choose their kingdom.  Much of that will play out in the millenium, except for those who have forfeited the opportunity for progression because they did not improve their lives during their earth life (in my mind that is reserved for evil people that wish to do harm, not for the distracted who might turn it around).

Edited by RAB