Tips to avoid potential Bishopric assignment

Good timing a new one was called two weeks ago and it was not me! YEAH!

Actually he is a very good man and will make an excellent Bishop. I've served with him several times.

I figured I was safe a month ago when I stopped getting thoughts about it. I took it to mean I was no longer under consideration.

He's got a lot to do with our old one doing double duty as Stake councilor first and Bishop second many things were left undone. We also had not ex secretary or Ward Clerk and three auxiliary with real leadership issues.

Oh and a hurricane is due to hit us this evening and our Ward area is a a 45 min 60mph drive from one end to the other and he is the emergency coordinator for the town of Berwick so if we get hit hard it will be hard to coordinate. worse is he was the ward emergency response person as well!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Utahrulzz

I hope this thread is intended as humor.

#1, you shouldn't be looking to avoid a calling.

#2, you shouldn't be aspiring to any calling while pretending not to want the calling.

Any Bishopric assignments are directly from The Lord. The work of The Lord shouldn't be taken lightly.

Edited by Utahrulzz

#2, you shouldn't be aspiring to any calling while pretending not to want the calling.

Any Bishopric assignments are directly from The Lord. The work of The Lord shouldn't be taken lately.

Amen to that and it shouldn't be taken lightly either. :D

Sunday past was our Stake Conference and they released the Stake Presidency. Our Bishop was called to serve on the new Presidency and now we have a ward of nervous Priesthood. Our First Councilor is moving so he is out, and the second is too busy to even accept Bishop if it was extended to him.

While I don't think that I am the most likely prospect by far I'd like not to take chances. Anyone have any good ideas about how not to get called short of becoming unworthy of course.

I've considered "accidentally dropping lottery tickets out of my church bag or coffee cups but that doesn't seem good enough. For the last two years everytime the Bishop left his office door open I'd go in and reverse all his chairs to face toward the wall, but that might cause an act of revenge instead.

Good ideas would be appreciated.

Picking a Bishop is not an easy task. Either the calling needs him, or he needs the calling. If called, you can say 'no'. I had done this in the past without any repercussion from those who extended the calling.

If the Lord wants you, you will be told prior to the calling by the promptings of the Spirit.

It is rather the individual listened to the Spirit for his own confirmation. We need a personal testimony when the Spirit confides in us on being called. Knowing the feelings of the Spirit and considering the Holy Ghost a personal friend, where I don't find it offensive in asking the Holy Ghost for precious part of His time to make a confirmation when being called.

I have learned over the years, not all calling are done with inspiration and maybe out of desperation. Even my last release, when asked when I was ready for another calling, I told them to wait. It was what the Lord wanted but they failed to see the picture or the promptings. As I told them, I am not prompted at this time with a calling. However, I would be glad to assist anyone in the church but following the will of the Lord is more important than filling a calling out of desperation. Sure enough, when the hands were laid, the feeling of stupor was there and the calling was out of desperation. A correction was needed for both members of leadership but I told the Lord, perhaps, this was test for them and knowing they failed, I would oblige myself in supporting there decisions until the Lord corrected them.

There is a way one can prompt the Holy Ghost for a confirmation and it will always be given. As priesthood holders, we need to learn this simple principle.

Any Bishopric assignments are directly from The Lord. The work of The Lord shouldn't be taken lightly.

Yes it was humor.

I have not yet refused a calling but when extended one I have no issue with saying no if the lord does not confirm it to me when I pray about it.

I was never aspiring to any calling especially this one.

Guest Utahrulzz

Hemidakota, are you questioning the inspiration of those making the call? Maybe the call is extended out of desperation to teach a specific class, but under no circumstances do those receiving inspiration for the call of a new Bishop lack devine guidance. The call to serve such an important roll is always inspired by those authorities doing the work.

Have you been in this position? Never or less, we hope this never happens.

But it does happen as I can point out here, there is a living Bishop who needed the calling to save his own family, no matter it was not inspirational or not.

Now, once a person is called to this important position, we are there to support, help, and to serve the man until the calling is given to another. :)

Guest Utahrulzz

I'm not here to boast in any of my positions Hemidakota. I do believe in what the Bretheren have told us regarding callings. I choose to see the inspiration in the calling of each Bishop and I encourage you to do the same.

I believe most if not all callings come from inspiration, however during a meeting it was shown clearly how the inspiration can be altered.

The Relief Society President had a clear reply from the Lord about having a particular sister assigned to visit teach another.

The Bishop had a clear reply from the Lord that it was not a good idea. The president was frustrated and asked why they would both receive different answers and no it was not because the Bishop knew things the RS President did not because that can make a difference.

I pondered this for a few days and prayed as well because once my wife was called to a calling that both her and I felt was wrong. Here is why they were both right.

The Relief Society was praying about what would be best for the person going out visit teaching and the sister to be visited would be good for her. The Bishop prayed about what would be good for the person receiving the visiting teaching it would not be helpful for her.

My wife was called to fix a problem short of releasing a presidency but there was real problems and she was asked to act as a president while only being a councilor. It was a very bad situation for her and caused much issue at church and at home as well.

So yes, I believe callings are inspired even those out of desperation. But why they are inspried is important as well. Every calling my wife or I have had we have been able to have it confirmed either before it was offered or during the interview that it was correct except for that one of my wife.

So I have no problem with asking time to confirm it is what the Lord feels I should do. If I don't get a yes I will either ask probing questions as to why I have been asked or reply that I have not gotten direction adn therefore can not accept it. And I don't feel it goes against the inspiration of the Lord.

When I have been called in by the bishopric for a calling they always say "the Lord wants you to do _______." I just have always assumed that these men are in touch with the Lord and know more than me so I go ahead and accept anything I'm called to.

If they didn't have the guidance of the Lord I doubt they would be telling me that the Lord wants me to do something.

It just seems to me that we are on a slippery slope when we question any calling.

While never on a Bishopric I was Ward Clerk for a time and watched the Bishopric get on their knees to pray about each calling. Only if all three got an affirmative was the call extended. I do not question that most leaders go by inspiration. My point was that things depend on exactly what we pray for in some cases. The example I used with my wife was very true we both felt it was wrong and things ended up very wrong. It was the same Bishop I watched pray about callings so I know he had gotten a response. However I firmly believe he was praying for someone who might fix a situation with the least disturbance to the Ward. Being asked to fix something that was the president's role to fix while being called only as a councilor was a bad journey for my wife and ultimately for me.

Was the calling inspired yes. God told them my wife was the one to fix the problem. But the manner the Bishopric tried to use that inspiration was against normal church guidelines and in the end did more harm then good.

I firmly believe that if the Lord has called me to a position then he will let me know as well as the Bishop. Most often I have known before an interview, the few times I have not I was able to ask and receive an answer from God before giving my answer. It has been the same for my wife except for that one calling. I have to believe my inspiration is as valid for me as the Bishop's is for the Ward.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Sunday past was our Stake Conference and they released the Stake Presidency. Our Bishop was called to serve on the new Presidency and now we have a ward of nervous Priesthood. Our First Councilor is moving so he is out, and the second is too busy to even accept Bishop if it was extended to him.

While I don't think that I am the most likely prospect by far I'd like not to take chances. Anyone have any good ideas about how not to get called short of becoming unworthy of course.

I've considered "accidentally dropping lottery tickets out of my church bag or coffee cups but that doesn't seem good enough. For the last two years everytime the Bishop left his office door open I'd go in and reverse all his chairs to face toward the wall, but that might cause an act of revenge instead.

Good ideas would be appreciated.

Just say no...it helps to be honest.

When I was released from a special calling, I had asked my local Stake President and local Bishopric in not receiving a calling excerpt, being a simple Family Home Teacher. Where I can, spend the remaining days in being with the family and the Saints. It would give the opportunity to pick up the slack with sub-teaching for others to the adults and youths.

It helps to be candored when the Spirit is ok with it.

• 3 months later...
Hidden

Anyone have any good ideas about how not to get called short of becoming unworthy of course.

"Hello (Stake) President... oh, I would love to accept that calling... but would you please help me get over my feelings for other men? I've never actually acted upon anything, nor committed sin, but I can't get the feeling of lust for my neighbor's manservant out of my head."

That'll do.