tithe on an insurance program:

teddyk

Interesting... Is it an increase if it is just to replace what was lost? If someone dents my car, and I have the insurance pay to repair the damages, what has increased? I don't have extra money, and I don't have a nicer car. Seems to me the answer is no, but I also think it is a personal decision between you and the Lord.

If the insurance has "made you whole" then there is no increase, therefore no tithe.

If you have a "profit", then you should tithe on the amount that is above the amount to make you whole.

So, let's say your car was totaled and it would cost $10,000 to replace it. You got a check for $12,000.

Take $10,000 to buy the replacement car and tithe on the $2,000, or $200.

Does that make sense?

Skippy's right. Insurance made to replace what was lost oftentimes doesn't cover even the whole of an item. Life insurance may seem a lot, but when you take away costs of funeral arrangements, loss of income and long term costs like paying for a child's university career, you find it is woefully inadequate.

If the insurance is an increase, pay on it. If it's not, don't.

I agree with FunkyTown as to car, health, and homeowner's insurance--which replace assets which were already tithed--but life insurance is intended primarily to replace future increase. Personally, I'd tithe on it. Life insurance is cheap; beefing your coverage up by 10% to cover tithing isn't that big of a deal.

Sorry to go off topic about insurance. But if a person goes to work for eight hours a day, five days a week. They are giving away their time and work. The company they work for then gives them money to replace that time and work that was given. So a person doesn't really get an increase. Their paycheck is making them whole. So does that mean you wouldn't pay tithing on your paycheck? I'm just curious what people's reasons are for paying tithing on their paycheck when it's not an increase. I can understand it being different for someone owning their own busines.

Sorry for going off topic about insurance.

If I read the original post it said nothing of a car or house insurance payment but an injury. If it is for pain and suffering it is an increase, if it is for payments made on medical bills it is not.

Wages for time offered in employment is an increase. Good try. Some of us get more increase than others for same time spent.

Back to original post. If disability insurance is paid as a result of an injury to cover wages lost then yes it is an increase.

Ben Raines

Yet is still providing you with a monetary compensation that you did not have prior to offering your services. That would be an increase.

Now before continuing I just want to say I'm not trying to get out of paying tithing. I do pay tithing on my paycheck and I know it's the right thing to do.

Anyway...

But I'm losing my time and work in proportion to the currency I am gaining. So it would not be an increase. True I did not have that money before but I did have time and potential work. I gave up that time and work to get the money.

Now for a business owner I can understand. You have the goods you produce. You are minus and the cost of producing those goods. You then sell the goods to replace the production cost(making you whole). But you also include a profit in the price(that's the increase).

Sorry to go off topic about insurance. But if a person goes to work for eight hours a day, five days a week. They are giving away their time and work. The company they work for then gives them money to replace that time and work that was given. So a person doesn't really get an increase. Their paycheck is making them whole. So does that mean you wouldn't pay tithing on your paycheck? I'm just curious what people's reasons are for paying tithing on their paycheck when it's not an increase. I can understand it being different for someone owning their own busines.

Sorry for going off topic about insurance.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I go to work I'm not giving away my time, I'm selling it. I'm trading my time, expertise, and experience to my employer for money. When I receive a check for those things, that is an increase. When my check from my employer becomes so small that it isn't worth coming to work, then I have the option of staying home for nothing, and no increase.

And if you ever feel like giving away your time and work, I have a lawn that needs mowed. I'll give you $2 dollars if it makes you feel whole, but since you are giving your time and labor, I'm sure you'll understand if I don't pay every time. Because paying you would feel to me like I'm giving you an increase, and we wouldn't want that.

How is it an increase? It is replacing the time you lost. Not in an increase but compensation.

How much would you get paid if you sat at home and did nothing? How much more is the check that you received than what you got for doing nothing? That would be your increase.

Thanks for all the responses everyone BTW.

There is not check if I sit at home "and do nothing." But I have my time and work. My time and work have a value. I convert that time and work into a more commonly accepted form when I go to work. I convert it into Federal Reserve Notes. I'm losing things I could have that are of equal or greater value and converting it into another form with equal or lesser value. Now gtting a bonus that would be an increase. Or getting paid vacation that would be increase. If I give a company my time and work at a value of $10 per hour(-$10 per hour). They give me $10 in exchange for that time and work(+$10 per hour) So -$10+$10=0, I haven't gained anything.

So john doe, I wouldn't give you my time and work for an occasional $2, because my time and work is worth more than that. I would be taking a loss.

But if I gave service I wouldn't recieve compensation for my time and work expended and woul dbe taking a loss. As we all know that is sacrifice.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I go to work I'm not giving away my time, I'm selling it. I'm trading my time, expertise, and experience to my employer for money. When I receive a check for those things, that is an increase. When my check from my employer becomes so small that it isn't worth coming to work, then I have the option of staying home for nothing, and no increase.

And if you ever feel like giving away your time and work, I have a lawn that needs mowed. I'll give you $2 dollars if it makes you feel whole, but since you are giving your time and labor, I'm sure you'll understand if I don't pay every time. Because paying you would feel to me like I'm giving you an increase, and we wouldn't want that.

How would you tithe on the increase of services on your behalf that you're not paying for?

After all, isn't expendable labor a form of "increase"? :D

Ok people.....tithing is.....10% of your increase....there is nothing in black and white that tells you what that means.....other than you pay 10 on your increase....if you get some money and don't think you should pay tithing...then don't....its your choice....your conscience.....

Teach the people correct principles....and let them govern themselves...:)

My husband is getting Workmans comp due to an injury on the job. It is less than half of what he made and to say that it is increase is laughable but if he didn't get it he would have nothing at this point so it is increase. we pay tithing on it as well as my meger income. We Also pay tithing on the value of anything like food and such that is given to us. Which to some may sound stupid but if we get given food then it means I don't have to spend the $$ at the store also someone bought it and giving it to us is an increase to us. That make sense?

Anyway...

Lacie

Thanks for all the responses everyone BTW.

There is not check if I sit at home "and do nothing." But I have my time and work. My time and work have a value. I convert that time and work into a more commonly accepted form when I go to work. I convert it into Federal Reserve Notes. I'm losing things I could have that are of equal or greater value and converting it into another form with equal or lesser value. Now gtting a bonus that would be an increase. Or getting paid vacation that would be increase. If I give a company my time and work at a value of $10 per hour(-$10 per hour). They give me $10 in exchange for that time and work(+$10 per hour) So -$10+$10=0, I haven't gained anything.

So john doe, I wouldn't give you my time and work for an occasional $2, because my time and work is worth more than that. I would be taking a loss.

But if I gave service I wouldn't recieve compensation for my time and work expended and woul dbe taking a loss. As we all know that is sacrifice.

This is where I see the problem. You say you are giving your time to your employer, but you aren't. You are selling it. Giving your time would mean that you do not expect to receive anything in exchange for it. When you contract with an employer to work for them, you expect to receive something for your labors. That is selling your time, labor, skills, etc., to your employer. Whatever you receive from your employer is an increase that you normally would not get from him unless you agreed to sell yourself to him. The market determines the value of your time, not you.

Putting all that aside though, and for the sake of this exercise, what value would you put on a person's time before you can call it an increase? Where is the cut off point between 'restoring' what you lost and making an increase for your labors? If I make $300,000 a year for my work and you make $20,000 for yours, do either of us have an increase in your mind?

Ok people.....tithing is.....10% of your increase....there is nothing in black and white that tells you what that means.....other than you pay 10 on your increase....if you get some money and don't think you should pay tithing...then don't....its your choice....your conscience.....

Teach the people correct principles....and let them govern themselves...:)

I know that Joesph Smith said, “Teach the people correct principles....and let them govern themselves”, but I have a question. How can people govern themselves, when the principles are so vague that ten people can have ten or more opinions on what those principles are? For example, the question that we are discussing, what is considered an increase?