Interesting Blog About Mormon Prophet Tattoos

NgNmNb

I came across this blog this morning about tattoos of Mormon prophets.

Over a Dozen Mormon Prophet Tattoos: Where Christians Stand on Ink - Blog - Jinxi Boo

There seems to be some debate about the LDS Church not being a Christian religion in the comments section, as well as many other Mormons posting.

Thoughts?

Edited by NgNmNb
link not working

Is your intent to talk about tattoos or about whether Mormons are Christians? Both have been highly talked about in the past here. Just so I have an idea which direction we are taking this.

That's... weird. I guess someone can't come under condemnation for something the Church never talked about- when did the Church take an official stance against tattoos?

Well, our youth are definitely taught about appearance and that tattoos should be avoided. Does that make this stance official??? Like equating it with doctrine??? No. It just makes it the counsel the church gives to its members. There is nothing in the way of church "punishments" associated with the practice. Only the invitation to understand and properly take care of the physical body and to dress outside as we are trying to live on the inside.

In the spirit of giving the church specific standards of behavior, I think this ( and other similar guidelines) has been "official" or coming from the first presidency for a long time.

That's... weird. I guess someone can't come under condemnation for something the Church never talked about- when did the Church take an official stance against tattoos?

The church has discouraged visible tatoos for years, as the article quotes Pres. Hinckley. While there is no condemnation for having one, it has been pointed out that the body is a temple and putting graffiti on a temple is discouraged and can be distracting for those who see them. As a side note, I was recently at a meeting for volunteers for the upcoming temple open house in the Salt Lake Valley, and they read a letter from the church that states that volunteers with tatoos should cover them up as much as possible while representing the church, with bishops being the judge on whether highly tatooed people in their ward would be allowed to participate.

Personally, I have always figured that if I ever were sent to jail there is a particular tatoo I might consider getting, on a part of my body that most people would never see.

IMO tattoos are like cosmetic surgery

Many times unnecessary

Both are used to "capture" a moment.

Posted Image

http://thm-a02.yimg.com/image/297556ba951d98c2

Both can be respectfully done.

(opinions or "respectful" vary too much for pics)

Both can be done for the individual.

Both can be done for show

http://thm-a04.yimg.com/image/914e58ce13a317fa

In case you missed the front

http://thm-a03.yimg.com/image/b5e54391370e0098

Both can be mistakes that will haunt you forever.

Posted Imagehttp://thm-a01.yimg.com/image/3540f403cca51880

I see no difference in the injection of ink on the arm the injection of poison in the face. A metal rod in nose or a bag of silicone in the chest. It all comes down to intent. And most the time the intent is the same.

"I like they way this looks."

"Others will like the way this looks." etc.

• 1 year later...

I remember reading in the Ensign in the early 2000's that tattooing and body piercing

was only "allowed" on medical grounds.

I assume a convert with tattoo's isn't a problem. I've been able to attend a Temple as a tattood member and didn't have any problems, and the Bishop who Baptised me knew I'm tattooed was there as well.

Over a Dozen Mormon Prophet Tattoos: Where Christians Stand on*Ink - Blog - Jinxi Boo

There seems to be some debate about the LDS Church not being a Christian religion in the comments section, as well as many other Mormons posting.

Thoughts?

My personal covenant is to keep my body as a temple. I have never willingly sought tattoos because of my personal covenants. However, I do have a tattoo of a bicycle chain crank on the inside of my right leg that I received from a bicycle accident. Receiving the tattoo was very painful and I would not recommend such a thing be sought after, to anyone.

I am personally concerned by anyone that would recommend, especially by example, getting a tattoo voluntarily without overwhelmingly compelling reason – even if they claimed that they did it for Christ or part of their covenant in Christ. I am quite skeptical that such covenants are inspired by the Holy Spirit. I would carefully asses their behavior of kindness and compassion towards others – especially others considered offensive or unfriendly towards them before considering such a covenant for myself.

The Traveler

Over a Dozen Mormon Prophet Tattoos: Where Christians Stand on*Ink - Blog - Jinxi Boo

Thoughts?

We're Christian.

Oh... you mean about tattoos. Even if the Church culture and counsel was ambivalent on the issue I'd not get a tattoo, I can't think of anything I want printed under my skin until I die or pay a ton for a strange looking scar.

I have a hard time understanding why anyone would permanently disfigure their body. I'm addicted to temporary tattoos.

People, especially teenagers with still-developing maturity and long-term decisionmaking centers of their brains, will occasionally make decisions based on short-term criteria, without the desire or willingness to understand the long-term impact.

I don't find it that hard to understand at all.

Now, if you want something I don't understand - how come you're against a permanent disfigurement, but a temporary disfigurement is ok? ^_^

LM

People, especially teenagers with still-developing maturity and long-term decisionmaking centers of their brains, will occasionally make decisions based on short-term criteria, without the desire or willingness to understand the long-term impact.

Now, if you want something I don't understand - how come you're against a permanent disfigurement, but a temporary disfigurement is ok? ^_^

LM

Easier to repent from

LM

Boy I can attest to that one.