Tithing

Soul_Searcher

ok, so we have only just started paying tithing again. We told the Bishop we spend every penny we earn so we would miss out somewhere. He agreed to pay for our food and wrote us out a cheque to last a month. Well, we had an unexpected and urgent bill to pay and we had no choice but to use the money.

Now we have the situation of having to pay tithing over something else. They are all pretty serious bills that we have to pay, we cannot default. So then we will have to pay tithing or food/travel or a debt bill.

What do we do? I feel like I should be paying tithing especially as we got help. But as the Bishop has already helped us out, we cant get any more, especially as we've on;y paid a weeks worth.

I feel quite stressed and worried about this and woke up feeling sick with worry in the night. I feel like this could be a test and I should pay it and see if Im blessed like Ive been told. But money would literally have to be dropped through out letterbox for this to work. We have just had a tax rebate, so that wont happen.

I really dont know what to do about this situation.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice:

Talk to your bishop. Show him your bills and your budget. Tell him about the emergency you had. You may need temporary assistance to pay everything.

Then, check out The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey! Love that book! You can also go to his website and listen to his broadcast.

You can try to lower some of your bills by calling the companies. We did this for our car insurance and Comcast and saved money on both.

You can also try to sell some stuff on Craigslist. That is how we paid for groceries last month. :lol:

Guest missingsomething

I would say first be thankful for a bishop who willingly gave you a check for food -normally they purchase food for you to take away the temptation to spend it on other bills -

Second- be honest with your bishop and tell him what happened.

Third, take a *serious* look at your bills. Do you really need all that you have? Do you pay for internet connection - because that is not a necessity - even for school or college because most libraries offer internet connection use on their computers for free. Do you have a cell phone and home phone? Cable or DirectTV/DISH? Do you eat out? Until your finances are in a better situation - cut these out. Will it totally suck? Yep.

Fourth- contact those who you owe money to. Tell them your situation. See if you can pay a little less this month and make up the difference over the next few months. For example if bill is 30.00, ask if you can pay 10.00 this month and 10 additional dollars the next two months.

Fifth -Did you get a large tax return this year? If so, you /your husband may want to adjust how much taxes is coming out. Get more monthly and less of a big lump sum as a return.

Check out alternative ways to get help. There is a great food bank program offered by a variety of churches - you pay 25.00 and get a lot of groceries. With every food order (and you dont have to prove income as it is NOT a low income program just a "power buying" program) you can purchase additional items. The website link to see if they are in your area and which church participates is Welcome - Angel Food Ministries For 25.00 you get meat, veggies, fruit, bread, and normally one or two desserts.

My husband lost his job last year - I went to work full-time. We cut everything so we wouldnt have to lean on the bishop and I paid tithing (not to mention I made less than him to begin with). He is not a member but knew that I had a committment to paying tithing on my earnings. Well, it was hard and It reallllly tested me. BUT... he got a job paying much much more than he had made previously, I got a job paying double what I made before, and we were able to pay off our debt (yep, other than house and car) we are debt free now.

I think paying tithing taught me how to sacrifice so that I could get out of debt. It also made me feel great when I handed the bishop that envelope and he knew our circumstances. When we had two very small children, just had a 150% property tax increase, a car accident (and all the medical bills with it)... and I still paid my tithing. It didnt go easy - it meant my husband and i ate a box of mac n cheese or ramon noodles a few months.... but we did it. I also sought out our local food pantry where you can buy food for 1/4 what it would cost in the store. We also did the angel food program and would buy 2 of their regular food packages. It really was a lot of food for a little bit of money.

Hope something I said helps. Just pay tithing. Satan will try to give you reasons not to pay. And of course, you will always be able to spend that money other ways. Think outside of the box. Show faith and the Lord will provide for you. If he can feed a multitude, he will feed and care for your family!

Sorry, why can't you ask for more help from your bishop? We just had a leadership training meeting about helping people and the call was given to search out and help those in need within our wards.

We are no longer just to "teach a man to fish" now we should try to give them a pole and catch the first fish for them!

Talk to your bishop and let him know about the situation. I say pay your tithing. I don't know why the bishop can't help you with food again, but in order to do so, he needs to know about your situation. But, tithing isn't always about the actual money--sometimes it's about faith to sacrifice even when we don't want to or feel like we can.

Hmm I suppose I didn't think of going to the Bishop because I feel we don't deserve it. But I think that is the best course of action. Our Bishop is understanding and I'm sure he would be willing to help us especially if we went with tithing on Sunday.

I really do feel we need to pay this. I'm slowly starting to feel things more, and I do feel strongly that we should. I actually WANT to which is a change from before, feeling I HAD to. If the Lord knows my heart then I really hope and want him to provide a way. We'll speak to the Bishop on Sunday. Thanks guys!

P.S missingsomething we are in England so Im not sure these options are available to us. But thank you for useful suggestions x

Hmm I suppose I didn't think of going to the Bishop because I feel we don't deserve it. But I think that is the best course of action. Our Bishop is understanding and I'm sure he would be willing to help us especially if we went with tithing on Sunday.

I really do feel we need to pay this. I'm slowly starting to feel things more, and I do feel strongly that we should. I actually WANT to which is a change from before, feeling I HAD to. If the Lord knows my heart then I really hope and want him to provide a way. We'll speak to the Bishop on Sunday. Thanks guys!

P.S missingsomething we are in England so Im not sure these options are available to us. But thank you for useful suggestions x

Talk to God about this problem too. Tell him your feelings, worries and limits. Tell him your desires to obey. You can even tell him your fears and ask him to expand your faith.

He ALWAYS makes a way for us to obey his commandments. Put your faith into that promise. He made a way for Moses, and Nephi, and Alma, and Brother of Jared, and so many more. He helps us build boats and part seas and travel great distances and remove great mountains and even light up rocks! He can and will make a way for you and me and all of us. Such a thing is easy for Him. The deal is that we must exercise our faith.

I doubt that the circumstance you are in right now is an accident. God allows these dilemmas to suddenly arise so that we will have opportunities to prove our faith. My dear, it is simply your turn.

Be hopeful. Be believing. Be prayerful. Then wait for the hand of the Lord. It will come and open a way for you to obey AND meet the demands of your creditors. Exercising faith does feel like a scary bungee jump I know. Just remember you are falling up. :)

Have you tried calling your creditors? When my husband was looking for a new job we were behind on bills but really made tithing a priority. I called the credit card companies and they lowered my interest any payments. When I called to see if I could do anything about my car loan they agreed to let me skip a month and increase the life of the loan by one month. I was surprised with all the blessings that accrued when we made tithing the most important payment.

I think going over your budget with your bishop would be a good idea. He may see something you missed.

Chiccam

ok, so we have only just started paying tithing again. We told the Bishop we spend every penny we earn so we would miss out somewhere. He agreed to pay for our food and wrote us out a cheque to last a month. Well, we had an unexpected and urgent bill to pay and we had no choice but to use the money.

Now we have the situation of having to pay tithing over something else. They are all pretty serious bills that we have to pay, we cannot default. So then we will have to pay tithing or food/travel or a debt bill.

What do we do? I feel like I should be paying tithing especially as we got help. But as the Bishop has already helped us out, we cant get any more, especially as we've on;y paid a weeks worth.

I feel quite stressed and worried about this and woke up feeling sick with worry in the night. I feel like this could be a test and I should pay it and see if Im blessed like Ive been told. But money would literally have to be dropped through out letterbox for this to work. We have just had a tax rebate, so that wont happen.

I really dont know what to do about this situation.

Exactly what is more important - the world creditors or GOD? That is always the choice that many in the church will be facing from now on. This is not going to get any better and there is no real savior of the world that will help.

It is better to loose a house than to loose your salvation. ;)

Guest missingsomething

Exactly what is more important - the world creditors or GOD? That is always the choice that many in the church will be facing from now on. This is not going to get any better and there is no real savior of the world that will help.

It is better to loose a house than to loose your salvation. ;)

Thats a bit hard when you have children you at risk. While true- Im not sure this would *help* many feel better. We are also supposed to obey laws.... so,

:)

If we allow people to live on the streets so that they can "pay their tithing" we are in serious trouble.

Red herring. No one ever said anything about people living on the streets.

2 Ne. 28: 13

13 They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries; they rob the poor because of their fine clothing; and they persecute the meek and the poor in heart, because in their pride they are puffed up.

This scripture has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with payment of tithing. You might as well use it to argue against child molestation or loitering.

Red herring. No one ever said anything about people living on the streets.

This scripture has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with payment of tithing. You might as well use it to argue against child molestation or loitering.

Actually, Hemi said it would be better to lose the house than salvation. If you lose your house because you can't pay your mortgage you will be evicted and be homeless. If you are renting and stop paying rent, once again, you will be homeless. Maybe the wink meant he was totally kidding but it was not a helpful tip. My point was that it shouldn't be an either/or situation. And if it is then we have a problem.

And I believe that scripture has everything to do with tithing. I know that almost all the scriptures about the poor tell us a great deal about how the Lord sees tithing. You are entitled to your opinion, though. But, if you think that scripture is talking about child molestation or loitering you might want to read it again and pray about it. I mean, are you really serious that you see no connection? :huh:

It was my way of restating (as many pp's have) that she should see her bishop because that is what tithing/offering money is supposed to be there for---to help the poor and the needy.

My point to all of this, if a person is worried about their credit status versus the salvation or standing before the Savior, the world is not important. As church leaders have already stated, it will grow worst as time progress. Ownership is the key here but not rental. The Bishop can provide resources and help for them. Hard fact to state? Yes! When you look at all the options here, nothing is more important than her salvation.

Again, do not assume that if a person looses ownership of a home they cannot rent another place and begin to pay tithing. I do see many did in fact get in over their head with the materials things of this world and found humbleness after the fact with not repeating the same mistake.

What is more important is family and GOD. Everything else will fall into place.

Tithing is something I have been doing for a long time. But as I study scripture, I think binding tithing on Christians that have been set free from the Mosaic law or any OT law by faith in or the law of Christ is a returning to that law which makes the law of Christ ineffective. I could be wrong, but there really is no mentioning of it to the New Testament Christians. No one is exhorted to do it, and no one is reproved for not doing it. Don't get me wrong, I think a Christian should give, but they should not be bound to do it. The only kind of giving that happened in the New Testament was spontaneous and of a free will. It is written,” Let every man give as he has purposed in his heart to give.” We are free to give 30, 40, 50 or 90% of our possessions. We should not be bound by any giving rules according to the way things were done in the NT church. But keep in mind, if we give sparingly, we reap sparingly and if we give generously we reap the same and so on. The point is, Christians should feel they have to do it. We have been set free by the Law of Christ.

Edited by aj4u

Tithing is something I have been doing for a long time. But as I study scripture, I think binding tithing on Christians that have been set free from the Mosaic law or any OT law by faith in or law of Christ is a returning to that law which makes the law of Christ ineffective. I could be wrong, but there really is no mentioning of it to the New Testament Christians. No one is exhorted to do it, and no one is reproved for not doing it. Don't get me wrong, I think a Christian should give, but they should not be bound to do it. The only kind of giving that happened in the New Testament was spontaneous and of a free will. It is written,” Let every man give as he has purposed in his heart to give.” We are free to give 30, 40, 50 or 90% of our possessions. We should not be bound by any giving rules according to the way things were done in the NT church. But keep in mind, if we give sparingly, we reap sparingly and if we give generously we reap the same and so on. The point is, Christians should feel they have to do it. We have been set free by the Law of Christ.

HUH??? I'm a little lost here?

Lacie

The Law of tithing was reiterated to Mormons at the turn of the 20th century by our Prophet direct from Heavenly Father. The Church was in debt and the Prophet declared from the Lord that if the Saints would pay their tithe the Church would prosper! And , it did... Mosaic law or not it is a commandment of God to LDS.

Tithing is something I have been doing for a long time. But as I study scripture, I think binding tithing on Christians that have been set free from the Mosaic law or any OT law by faith in or law of Christ is a returning to that law which makes the law of Christ ineffective. I could be wrong, but there really is no mentioning of it to the New Testament Christians. No one is exhorted to do it, and no one is reproved for not doing it. Don't get me wrong, I think a Christian should give, but they should not be bound to do it. The only kind of giving that happened in the New Testament was spontaneous and of a free will. It is written,” Let every man give as he has purposed in his heart to give.” We are free to give 30, 40, 50 or 90% of our possessions. We should not be bound by any giving rules according to the way things were done in the NT church. But keep in mind, if we give sparingly, we reap sparingly and if we give generously we reap the same and so on. The point is, Christians should feel they have to do it. We have been set free by the Law of Christ.

Thank you for your understanding and interpretation of the subject. However, you are speaking to an LDS audience here. We, as LDS, are asked to give 10% of our increase to be paid as tithing. Modern day prophets have exhorted us to do so. Not only does this teach us the value of sacrifice so that we may reap the blessings, but also helps to further the work of Christ here on the earth.

The Law of tithing was reiterated to Mormons at the turn of the 20th century by our Prophet direct from Heavenly Father. The Church was in debt and the Prophet declared from the Lord that if the Saints would pay their tithe the Church would prosper! And , it did... Mosaic law or not it is a commandment of God to LDS.

I was not aware of this mandate made to Mormons at the turn of the 20th century. This mandate is also made to the fundamental congregation of churches by many pastors, but according to the Scriptures in the Holy Bible, I believe it is unwarranted and cannot be backed up Scripturally speaking!

Thank you for your understanding and interpretation of the subject. However, you are speaking to an LDS audience here. We, as LDS, are asked to give 10% of our increase to be paid as tithing. Modern day prophets have exhorted us to do so. Not only does this teach us the value of sacrifice so that we may reap the blessings, but also helps to further the work of Christ here on the earth.

Sure thing and I am honored. I am a Christian. In my zeal for the Lord, I got caught into a cult for seven years. I forsook all for Jesus in this group including my things, money, car and even my family and friends to obey Luke 14:33 and Mark 16:15. I would not trade my experience for a million dollars, but I wouldn't pay a nickel to go through it again. I choose not to be bitter even though God has brought to me through profound disappointment for only wanting to serve Him. I choose to continue to trust Him. Let every man be a liar, but God's Word is True. Jesus is Truth to me. Our prophet Moses David gave us directives and mandates to tithe. We were also told that tithing is not giving, because it is money that belongs to God anyway. If we wanted to give sacrificially, we would have to go beyond a mere 10%. I have come to the conclusion that I will interpret Scripture with the help of the Holy Spirit for it is written: "You have no need that a man teach you" I have learned not to judge the Holy Scriptures by what man or prophet says but judge the man's teaching by what the Holy Scriptures say from the Bible! This step of faith I have taken has been better than a known path for me! I believe very much in giving, but I do it freely and with spontaneity. I am no longer manipulated or controlled to tithe or give by Moses David the false prophet or anyone else for that matter! Edited by aj4u

That is fine for you and I can respect that. I, however, would like to rely not only on scriptures but on my belief that we have and have had modern day prophets who receive revelation from our Heavenly Father. That our prophet Thomas S. Monson receives revelation even today that is relevant to the times. One of the revelations received by Joseph Smith was the reinstatment of the Law of Tithing.

It's what I believe and I'm sticking with it. I respect your belief but please have the courtesy of respecting mine as well.