1 Nephi 22:1-3

pam

Reference Search: 1 Nephi 22:1-3

1 And now it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had read these things which were engraven upon the plates of brass, my brethren came unto me and said unto me: What meaneth these things which ye have read? Behold, are they to be understood according to things which are spirituall, which shall come to pass according to the spirit and not the flesh?

2 And I, Nephi, said unto them: Behold they were manifest unto the prophet by the voice of the Spirit; for by the Spirit are all things made known unto the prophets, which shall come upon the children of men according to the flesh.

3 Wherefore, the things of which I have read are things pertaining to things both temporal and spiritual; for it appears that the house of Israel, sooner or later, will be scattered upon all the face of the earth, and also among all nations.

Quote for Discussion

In answering his brothers, Nephi explained that these prophecies of Isaiah were to be understood as being “both temporal and spiritual. That is, they would literally come to pass, yet their interpretation would go beyond the event of their temporal fulfillment, for they carried spiritual or symbolic meanings also….

In his answer, Nephi explained that <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Israel</st1:place></st1:country-region> must gather in a figurative sense (that is, the return to the true Church), as well as in a literal sense (that is, a return to their lands of promise). Prophetic promises are often subject to both a figurative and a literal interpretation and, for that matter, may also have multiple fulfillments.

Millet and McConkie, BOM Commentary, p. 169<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>