Polygamy in the celestial kingdom?

On 5/12/2009 at 7:30 PM, Hemidakota said:

Michael has only one wife and no other. Some of us will follow that course here and into the eternities.

I wouldn't assume Adam's whole story can be summed up in several verses. There is much more to his story. Ask, seek, knock. God's the best teacher. 

On 7/27/2009 at 2:30 PM, deseretgov said:

If God commanded it through His living prophet and my wife and I recieved personal confirmation of it I would not have a problem.

You still haven't told me what is wrong with a man having more than one wife.

So you're saying we can't trust that anything a prophet says is from God.

I'm not asking what is wrong with in view of modern revelations. We all know that God has forbidden the practice in our day. What I want to know is what is so horrible about the practice itself.

Yes I'm married almost a year now. My baby daughter should be arriving any day now.

Here's a message I posted in another thread that explains why I don't have a problem with polygamy:

Honestly I wish polygamy was still acceptable in the church(not refering to one wife dying and marrying another). I'm sorry if people get upset at me for saying this but honestly I do. While serving my mission in the Philippines I saw this over an over. There were way more righteous women than men. In one branch I served in there was the Branch President, us two missionaries, the branch president's teacher and decon aged sons, and about twenty women. Most of the women were not married. So they face the option of marrying an unworthy man(chances very likely) or waiting for a righteous men to marry(very reasonable but less likely). Another woman I knew didn't marry a member and committed suicide after her husband had an affair. Another woman had her husband (who was working in canda) break it off with her(they got married in the Phils and there is no divorce so technically they are still married). Now apperently she is a prostitute. there are tons more examples.

Sure you can say that if these women were really righteous they would have worked through the situations better. I'm not saying the men are all to blame but how much better would it have been if they had a righteous husband.

So for me I wish there was polygamy so that righteous women in the Philippines(which by far outnumber the righteous men) could have a righteous husband. Even if it wasn't me they were married to, they deserve something better than what they have right now. Of course it would be a nightmare if I could marry more than one woman and they were from the Philippines. The government fees and immigration paper work for my one wife was insane. I'd go insane if I had to do it for more than one woman.

I'm sorry if this makes me unrighteous or a bad person. They need rightous men so badly and I wish I could do more.

But having said that I did marry a Filipina and we are happily married. She is pregnant with our first child, a daughter. So while I wish I could do more, I am more than happy to be a righteous husband for my wife. I'm working to be the best I can be for her. Since we have been married Oct 08 I have become much more responsible, and I have a long way to go. I'm thankful for the opportunity to be married to such a wonderful woman. At least I can be a righteous husband to her. I asked here[sic] once what she [and] where she would be now if we hadn't gotten married. She said she probably would be living in Manila(she's not from there). She also said she probably would not have married in the temple neither woud[sic] her husband have been a member.

Myself and my brother's witnessed the same in Latin America. So many good women abused by their men. I remember a first discussion that I gave where she'd just recently been released from the hospital, black eye's and bruises everywhere, I was appalled at how common this was. I lost count of the women who would cry to us missionaries about there husbands being unfaithful.

I don't think it's as common here but maybe I'm just sheltered from it, not being out in the mission field.

Ask God to teach you and then have patience as answers come line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little there a little.

Edited by RTaylor

I think it could be summed up by saying that all we really know is that righteous men who are sealed to more than one righteous woman will be practicing plural marriage in eternity. 

As far as polygamy in this life, five of my third great grandfathers were polygamists. 

Don't let it trouble your mind.

As a mother, if you had more than one child, would you not love each and every one of your children? Would not each of your children be happy to have you as a mother? Would not your children love to grow up with each other (if they did so in love and kindness). Of course!

It will be the same in heaven. All worthy women will be married to a worthy husband, or else they cannot enjoy marriage and family in that realm. If it means sharing a husband, so be it. Also, in heaven, every god will have the ability to spend all the time needed with each and every spouse and child, unlike here, where a person can only be in one place at one time.

If this is too much to wrap your head around, just put it on a shelf, and God will make it known to you some time in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2009 at 5:48 PM, annamaureen said:

Will there be polygamy in the Celestial Kingdom?

I'm getting married in five weeks. The idea that my fiancé and will covenant to be devoted and faithful to each other, only to have him take more wives in the eternities, really, really upsets me. It makes me feel like our sacred bonds of marriage will be meaningless. I've confessed my feelings to my fiancé, and he too was bothered by the scenario.

I'm finding very little official church doctrine to either confirm or deny, and this issue is weighing heavy on my shoulders. I don't know what to think. If being in the celestial kingdom means I must "share" my husband, I don't know if I want to be there. I have a strong testimony, but this issue is just something I can't shake.

While writing this post, I've literally started crying, thinking of my husband being married to and intimate with another woman. Please help me.

Edited to add: I also can't imagine WHY polygamy would be good, righteous, or acceptable. What is wrong with one man and one woman being married? Is that relationship not sacred and special?

Hi, there

You have a very good question. 

First: do what the Lord commends you NOW. Don't worry about what's next (see 3 Nephi 13: 25-27)

Second: I've learned through my own experiences what the straight and narrow path really means: MARRIAGE. I personally believe that God didn't institute marriege in this life for procriational matters only. I trully believe that in marriage we are led to live in the same pattern that we are led to live with God. I mean, as we have to love God above all else, we should also love our spouses above everyone else, including ourselves. So, we are admonished to cleave unto God as He cleaves unto us and we should, in the same way, cleave unto our spouses. So, this is what I think that makes sense for marriage in this life. What lies beyond death, I do not know for now, but it doesn't matter much because God is in charge. He knows everything. Trust that!

On 5/13/2009 at 6:48 AM, annamaureen said:

I'm getting married in five weeks. The idea that my fiancé and will covenant to be devoted and faithful to each other, only to have him take more wives in the eternities, really, really upsets me. It makes me feel like our sacred bonds of marriage will be meaningless. I've confessed my feelings to my fiancé, and he too was bothered by the scenario.

I'm finding very little official church doctrine to either confirm or deny, and this issue is weighing heavy on my shoulders. I don't know what to think. If being in the celestial kingdom means I must "share" my husband, I don't know if I want to be there. I have a strong testimony, but this issue is just something I can't shake.

While writing this post, I've literally started crying, thinking of my husband being married to and intimate with another woman. Please help me.

Edited to add: I also can't imagine WHY polygamy would be good, righteous, or acceptable. What is wrong with one man and one woman being married? Is that relationship not sacred and special?

Sorry more stupid new person questions/comments/probably wrong observations! 

I dont understand this, I thought mormons didn't believe in multiple wives anymore so why would it be ok in heaven?  Good thing God gave us free will right!  I'm sure your wedding will be beautiful xxx

Just saw how old the OP was . I'm pretty sure she's married now! LOL it would still be great if someone could respond to me,  having my the possibility of polygamy in heaven, well it is certainly a very stressful and concerning thought for me.  I'd like to understand this

Edited by VelvetShadow

On May 12, 2009 at 4:48 PM, annamaureen said:

I certainly will not, I am a one woman man, now and forever. Since polygamy has always be voluntary, it would remain so in the eternities.  

16 hours ago, VelvetShadow said:

I dont understand this, I thought mormons didn't believe in multiple wives anymore so why would it be ok in heaven?  Good thing God gave us free will right!  I'm sure your wedding will be beautiful xxx

We do not practice it at this time...  The current practice of polygamy is stopped.  The doctrine of polygamy however has never been countered or disavowed.

Thus those that did enter it back in the day will presumably still have it in Heaven.

In addition we do not have a complete understanding of how the Lord will make sure that no Righteous person will be denied any blessing in Heaven.  (But they might here).

Marriage/Sealing is a promised blessing.  For Monogamy to be the rule we have to have perfectly balanced Gender Ratios.  Even one Righteous person in heaven who wants to be Sealed but can't because there is no one else would make God a lier.  Which he is not.  However how wide spread it will be in heaven is also speculative.   Will it be the norm or will it be the exception?  We do not know, but we do know it will be perfectly fair and just however it turns out to be.

Edited by estradling75

7 hours ago, estradling75 said:

We do not practice it at this time...  The current practice of polygamy is stopped.  The doctrine of polygamy however has never been countered or disavowed.

Thus those that did enter it back in the day will presumably still have it in Heaven.

In addition we do not have a complete understanding of how the Lord will make sure that no Righteous person will be denied any blessing in Heaven.  (But they might here).

Marriage/Sealing is a promised blessing.  For Monogamy to be the rule we have to have perfectly balanced Gender Ratios.  Even one Righteous person in heaven who wants to be Sealed but can't because there is no one else would make God a lier.  Which he is not.  However how wide spread it will be in heaven is also speculative.   Will it be the norm or will it be the exception?  We do not know, but we do know it will be perfectly fair and just however it turns out to be.

Thank you for your answer.  So its still mormon doctrine, I think thats going to be an issue for me, I need to pray about this

@estradling75 I prayed and then I actually found the doctrine and read it.  It seems to be more about being married for eternity and what marriage actually is and very little about multiple wives.  More about restoration of the priesthood?  And it doesn't really give the impression that everyone is to do it either and that more will be revealed on this matter, which I guess it was, because the church doesn't allow polygamy anymore.

After actually reading it I don't think there is anything to worry about, but I can understand why it would still be allowed for certain people in the celestial kingdom, after all you are married for eternity and the people that did practice polygamy can't really ditch their wives in heaven.

Its actually quite beautiful when you read it, I like section 19 & 20 the best

Doctrine and Covenants 132

19 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them—Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths—then shall it be written in the Lamb’s Book of Life, that he shall commit no murderwhereby to shed innocent blood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever.

20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.

Edited by VelvetShadow

12 minutes ago, VelvetShadow said:

@estradling75 I prayed and then I actually found the doctrine and read it.  It seems to be more about being married for eternity and what marriage actually is and very little about multiple wives.  More about restoration of the priesthood?  And it doesn't really give the impression that everyone is to do it either and that more will be revealed on this matter, which I guess it was, because the church doesn't allow polygamy anymore.

After actually reading it I don't think there is anything to worry about, but I can understand why it would still be allowed for certain people in the celestial kingdom, after all you are married for eternity and the people that did practice polygamy can't really ditch their wives in heaven.

Doctrine and Covenants 132

19 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them—Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths—then shall it be written in the Lamb’s Book of Life, that he shall commit no murderwhereby to shed innocent blood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever.

20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.

I don't know why people get so worked up about this. I don't think anyone will be forced into a marriage situation that is not agreeable to them. If by some chance plural marriage is a requirement to become a god and you are opposed to it then you just won't become a god. It would be your choice. 

8 hours ago, VelvetShadow said:

That is what we keep trying to tell people...  But they get so caught up in their own preconceived ideas they can't understand what it will really be like.  God does not force anyone, if you do what he asks you get blessed... you don't then you don't. Either way the choice is yours, not God's, not your spouse's.