Gifts for a returning missionary.

RachelleDrew

My brother in law will be returning in a couple of days from his mission in Europe. I was trying to think of some nice things I could do for him for when he comes home. One of the things that I did was clean out his bedroom for him at his parent's house (they aren't the best cleaners, and they've kinda turned his bedroom into a storage closet over the past two years....) So his bedroom is now cleaned, organized and fresh bedding and stuff for him.

I also made him a CD with his favorite bands on it. I looked up what singles they had released that he would have missed out on while he was gone, and burned them all onto a disk for him. That way he can kind of catch back up with the music scene.

He's been a wonderful friend to me during my difficult situation, and has given me lots of great advice from a spiritual perspective. I want to help pay back the favor for him when he gets home.

What are some things that friends and family did for you when you returned from your mission that you liked? That made you feel loved when you got home? His parents found someone who spoke fluent Russian to help make signs for us to hold at the airport for him.

What are some other little things we could do? Not just for the day he gets home, but for his next few weeks trying to slide back into his old life. How can we help him out during the transition period?

Re-introduce him to the Great USA! Take him out to eat real american food. See a movie.

More than likely he is gonna need a new wardrobe also. My father made me burn all the clothes that I though were "nice" that I brought home from my mission in Chile.

My brother in law will be returning in a couple of days from his mission in Europe. I was trying to think of some nice things I could do for him for when he comes home. One of the things that I did was clean out his bedroom for him at his parent's house (they aren't the best cleaners, and they've kinda turned his bedroom into a storage closet over the past two years....) So his bedroom is now cleaned, organized and fresh bedding and stuff for him.

I also made him a CD with his favorite bands on it. I looked up what singles they had released that he would have missed out on while he was gone, and burned them all onto a disk for him. That way he can kind of catch back up with the music scene.

He's been a wonderful friend to me during my difficult situation, and has given me lots of great advice from a spiritual perspective. I want to help pay back the favor for him when he gets home.

What are some things that friends and family did for you when you returned from your mission that you liked? That made you feel loved when you got home? His parents found someone who spoke fluent Russian to help make signs for us to hold at the airport for him.

What are some other little things we could do? Not just for the day he gets home, but for his next few weeks trying to slide back into his old life. How can we help him out during the transition period?

After He is finally released at his stake, a nice vacation and perhaps, some real food. ^_^

Take him on a little road trip around the town. Show him all the things that have changed in the last couple years. Maybe get him a list of movies and tv shows that he missed. Or even music. Maybe get some on DVD or Hulu. Have a movie night with the best movies of the last two years.

Were there any good movies in the last two years?

I recall I came home on a Saturday, was released the same day, spoke in church on Sunday, went to work on Monday and worked an 8 hour shift. Did that all week. On Friday night headed to BYU arrived and interviewed for a job late in the afternoon. Started working on Monday at the MTC. Never looked back.

Personal opinion. Too much coddling is going on. I like the IPod idea. Maybe a nice homemade dinner, not a restaurant. Make his favorite foods.

Ben Raines

Let him just enjoy being home. He's been gone for 2 years in an entirely different life than what he's returning to. Sometimes there can be too much attention.

One of the things that I did was clean out his bedroom for him at his parent's house (they aren't the best cleaners, and they've kinda turned his bedroom into a storage closet over the past two years....) So his bedroom is now cleaned, organized and fresh bedding and stuff for him.

You are a very thoughtful sister-in-law! I forget how old your son is, but if he is talking, practice saying your bil's name with his picture a few times a day so that when your BIL gets home, your son will be able to say his name!

• 5 years later...

One thing that is nice is when people give you time and understanding to readjust. There are a lot of ingrained habits and limitations by this point and while one can intellectually push them to the side, it may be a little bit before doing so doesn't carry with it a sense of discomfort. I guess the point being, while some missionaries like it when friends and family plan a, "Do everything you couldn't do for the past 2 years the day you get home!" event, others are just going to feel really awkward participating in such. Which finally takes me to my recommendation, be conservative in your plans until or unless you know he's past the awkward stage.