Christianity: Hardest or Easiest?

Our preaching pastor made an interesting point last Sunday, and I thought I’d throw it out here for discussion. He noted many critics have accused Christianity of being an “easy” faith because it doesn’t require people to do anything for their salvation. Christianity only requires that people believe to attain Eternal Life with God in Heaven.

But instead of making it the easiest faith, he said this makes Christianity the hardest—because it requires the most difficult of virtues: Humility. Only a humbled heart can accept grace.

Of course, the opposite of humility is the sin of pride. And pride is rampant. It’s the cause for which Lucifer was cast down from Heaven. Pride would reject God’s unmerited favor (grace). Pride demands merited favor so it can be recognized for merit. It’s offensive to our pride if we have absolutely nothing to contribute to our Salvation, if we are wholly and utterly dependant in the matter. Pride wants to thump its chest and say, “I did my part and so God has rewarded me.” (We are in the middle of a sermon series covering 1 & 2 Peter and our pastor made this point while covering 1 Peter 5:5— "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”)

His point that Christianity is the hardest faith really stood out to me (no doubt because of my LDS background and being familiar with the “cheap grace” arguments sometimes leveled at Evangelicals). What do LDS here say? Does Salvation by grace through faith make Christianity the hardest faith—or the easiest?

--Erik

PS. I make no claim that pastors at my church are infallible, so I will take no offense if anyone thinks he's missed the mark completely.

I think "Grace" is everything. In modern revelation we learn of "Grace with works" or "Grace through works", so I also believe in works. I think the sin your preacher is discussing is "Pride in our works". I believe I am required to do certain works (temple work, genealogy, missionary work etc), but these works are to assist in the salvation of others.

However, it does not matter how much work I do, if I do them only for the sake of pride. These works must be carried through by humility and love. After all is said and done, it is by the "Grace" of the S-vior's atonement that I and anyone else is saved.

I have no problem with your pastor. I doubt he's LDS.

The easiest to profess. The hardest to actually live.

Amen:

In my years of searching for a church, many times I felt that certain "brands" of Christianity were "barely Christian."

To call oneself a disciple, a follower of the way and true believer in Christ we MUST follow in His footsteps and do as He did.

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Matt 5:48

Guest Godless

But instead of making it the easiest faith, he said this makes Christianity the hardest—because it requires the most difficult of virtues: Humility. Only a humbled heart can accept grace.

I agree with this completely. It's often hard for people to entertain the idea that they aren't in complete control of their lives, which I'd imagine is a crucial step towards accepting God's grace by the Christian model. We are generally more inclined to believe that we can overcome anything life throws at us on our own and without God's help. This mindset is a crucial part of my personal worldview, which is why I'm not religious. And I can definitely see how that sort of thinking could hinder someone from meeting the requirements for Christian grace. Contrary to popular belief, the Christian ideology (from what I understand about it) isn't "Trust in God and be saved!". That's just the beginning. A person's relationship with God is reflected in his/her lifestyle. You can't accept Christ into your heart and then go back to your sinful/prideful ways, because doing so would show that you haven't really accepted Christ into your heart. Anyway, I'm probably not making sense, but that's my two cents as an outside observer.

I like the original point and wholeheartedly agree. The hardest thing for most people to do is to accept that they can't do everything on their own. There are many Christians of all denominations who get caught up in the notion that they need to earn the right to God's grace, rather than accepting it as a free gift from a loving God. We are His children. A child does not have to earn the right to be fed, sheltered and clothed by their parents.

The gift of God's grace is not free to all who need it. It is free to all who dilligently seek it. It is truly amazing how it is so easy and so hard at the same time. It is wonderful beyond words that we deserve so little, yet receive so much. Just like little children.

I have to wonder what religions they used as a basis for comparison to make the claim that "Christianity is the easiest"? Seems an awfully broad reaching statement.

I don't know how you define "easiest". In my view, being obedient to God is sometimes hard to do and sometimes very very easy. Freedom from the consequences of sin, I would think, might make Christianity look easier than say someone dealing with the consequences of infidelity, dishonesty, and corruption.

But it is difficult to take up ones cross, isn't it? I mean, the natural man is a difficult foe and we all, I believe, struggle on that road to self mastery and sanctification.

I think if you really understand what it means to be a disciple of Christ then you understand that the ease or difficulty of the Christian walk is irrelevant. It is, after all is said and done, both! What is more important is whether or not a person will do the right thing, when the "easy" choice seems tantalizing or when the hard road seems burdensome. It is all about agency. And when one figures out what that means, then I do think that life and all of its challenges becomes easier.

I think it is being in an activist/works-based religion and still having to know it is by grace that we are saved.

Step by step, precept by precept, ordinance by ordinance, and finally grace. It is hard to not look back at all the good works, ordinances, and a life of study and not feel pride for the works of one's hands. This is the challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that Christianity is a rather hard religion to follow because much IS required. You must 1) have a strong faith in Him followed by, 2) keeping his commandments, which Jesus said is the key in getting us into the Kingdom of God. (Luke 18:18-20). Not an easy task for some people.

I believe that Christianity is a rather hard religion to follow because much IS required. You must 1) have a strong faith in Him followed by, 2) keeping his commandments, which Jesus said is the key in getting us into the Kingdom of God. (Luke 18:18-20). Not an easy task for some people.

Same can be said for college education. It takes time, discipline, effort and resources. It seems too much for some people. Motivation is key. If eternal life and exaltation is not enough to motivate someone then nothing will and this life will be their reward.

I agree with this completely. It's often hard for people to entertain the idea that they aren't in complete control of their lives, which I'd imagine is a crucial step towards accepting God's grace by the Christian model. We are generally more inclined to believe that we can overcome anything life throws at us on our own and without God's help. This mindset is a crucial part of my personal worldview, which is why I'm not religious. And I can definitely see how that sort of thinking could hinder someone from meeting the requirements for Christian grace. Contrary to popular belief, the Christian ideology (from what I understand about it) isn't "Trust in God and be saved!". That's just the beginning. A person's relationship with God is reflected in his/her lifestyle. You can't accept Christ into your heart and then go back to your sinful/prideful ways, because doing so would show that you haven't really accepted Christ into your heart. Anyway, I'm probably not making sense, but that's my two cents as an outside observer.

Hey Godless—

For what it’s worth, yours is my favorite post on the subject (thus far). And what’s striking to me is how compatible your worldview is with LDS teaching. They teach “free agency.” You assert your own sovereignty, your own control. From my experience and perspective, your worldview and Mormonism aren’t so far apart.

When I was active LDS—the concept of “free agency” was my biggest philosophical sticking point. At the time, I didn’t know who God was—but it was pretty evident to me my choices were a function of my genetic heredity and my experience. And at root—I controlled neither. So how could I have a free will or be a free agent in any meaningful sense? Yes, I was free, free to follow my inclinations (and being rational—I always did). But I didn’t choose my inclinations. Something else was in control of them—something that always had its way.

The beer's on me if you ever find yourself in Seattle...

Regards,

--Erik

• 1 month later...

I think it is being in an activist/works-based religion and still having to know it is by grace that we are saved.

Step by step, precept by precept, ordinance by ordinance, and finally grace. It is hard to not look back at all the good works, ordinances, and a life of study and not feel pride for the works of one's hands. This is the challenge.

I'm inclined to agree, to an extent. But, it's also a humbling experience to realize what a privilege and blessing it is to be able to participate in the temple ordinances, for those who never had that chance. It is humbling to stop and realize that my own small efforts are but a drop in the bucket, as compared to the ocean of work that is yet to be done for the millions of people who are still waiting for their ordinances to be done.

• 1 month later...