Introductions

Guest Taoist_Saint

Guest Taoist_Saint

Introduce yourselves!!!

I have rewritten this so many times...here we go again.

I am Taoist Saint...a member of the LDS Church, but I am not really LDS.

My philosophy is closest to Taoism and Buddhism.

Anyway...its alway interesting to be here :)

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea, Tao. (I'm glad you are back to being Tao. B) )

I am Jenda. I am a member of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

I have been coming to this board for years upon years (5, or so). I came because I like church history, and I grew fond of my LDS brothers and sisters when I worked in Nauvoo. There are many things I respect about the LDS culture, and I wish some of their values were more widespread.

I like making stained glass and doing counted cross stitch (not that I do much of either since discovering the internet, but I am making a concerted effort to get a real life back. :lol: )

I am a SAHM, but was a RN prior to my youngest daughter being born. I worked for many years in an inner city hospital (NYC) on a pediatric medicine floor and mostly took care of kids with CF, sickle cell disease, and cancer. It was heartbreaking but rewarding to care for those who needed it the most. And I learned a lot about life from them. (They were wise beyond their years. :( )

Guest Taoist_Saint

I think I prefer being Taoist again too. For awhile I was trying to be Christian, so changed my name to Unorthodox. That didn't work out well.

Guest TheProudDuck

Here's a question:

How come, in the media, the Catholic practice of clerical celibacy is generally regarded as repressive, retrograde, and pathological, but Buddhists' teachings on celibacy get ignored and they're considered magnificently enlightened?

Guest Taoist_Saint

Yes, in hindsight, it was a mistake to join a church I do not believe in...but I can't change that, so I am living with it as best I can.

I haven't read Confucious yet...

Guest Taoist_Saint

Here's a question:

How come, in the media, the Catholic practice of clerical celibacy is generally regarded as repressive, retrograde, and pathological, but Buddhists' teachings on celibacy get ignored and they're considered magnificently enlightened?

I am not sure all Buddhist monks have to be celibate...Tibetans are I think.

I have not heard much criticism of Catholic celibacy in the media, since it is a choice the priests make. Is there alot of criticism?

In general, I haven't seen much media attention given to Buddhists at all...which is why people are so ignorant about Buddhism (for example, westerners thinking that Buddha is a pagan god, when he was nothing more than a great teacher).

I've probably repeated this story in numerous threads already, but here it is again for those who haven't heard it already:

When I was 13 and 'In love with Donny Osmond!' I was regularly subscribing to the Osmond family magazine, Osmond's World, in which they talked not only about their life 'on the road' but also their Spiritual beliefs and whatnot. They were Mormons, and the Burnley Mormon church was only a 10 minute walk from my home. At the time that I read about them more, and saw an episode of Whicker's World on British TV where they were interviewed about their religious beliefs, amongst other things, I was going to parties and drinking quite heavily...I was shy though, and used to cry at the end of the evening because I didn't fit in with the other people in spite of trying to drink to relax. The stuff I read about the Mormon church and the WoW in particular sounded good to me...healthy, also my mum and dad were always arguing and my dad used to hit my mum a lot, so as I started to investigate the Church I found it a good escape from my home life...I had a group of friends, my own age, who didn't care about drinking and sex, but just hung out for a good time and had good ideals. I stayed with this until I was 18...I found a boyfriend out of the church when I was 16, and this compromised my standards, so eventually I had to leave the church...or become a hypocrite...

I have to say that, although I do not find the story of Joseph Smith and the BofM, BofA and others believable anymore, I did find the Church useful at a time when I was struggling to make friends outside of school and to look after myself physically...I can never thank the Church enough for helping me through those years.

I was married for 11 years to the 'man' I met when I was 17, we dated for 6 years before marrying...I should have known better than to marry him after all that time, however, now we are divorced and I am raising my 2 children alone, we have been divorced 6 years, and my children are now 12 and 16, and we are happy. I am glad to have put my marriage behind me.

I spent 20 years or so wondering about returning to the Church, however I did do lots of research online and decided that to return would not be the correct thing for me...I appreciate the good things taught within the WofW and I appreciate the importance of families within the LDS church...but, unfortunately, I cannot return to believing that which I believed at 14.

I have suffered from severe depression, attempted suicide, and am now re discovering myself and my abilities through voluntary work for community groups and self help groups for people suffering from mental health problems.

Tao, I recently attended a self help group for people suffering from mental health problems, and one of the things that was recommended for recovery was meditation as per Buddhism...I haven't quite got there yet, but from what I have read I feel that it would be very beneficial to me...

Some people...ie. my ex-husband! LOL...just call me a hippy because I truly believe that you can create a more peaceful atmosphere around you by being peaceful yourself...refusing to get angered unless something really atrocious happens, being reasonable about events that occur and trying to reconcile them peaceably...it must be very difficult to argue with a person who refuses to argue back!! LOL...

I'm by no means perfect, in fact I hide myself away from the world a lot when things become too much, I still rely on anti depressants and sleeping tablets to get me through the week...however, I feel tons better since becoming involved with voluntary Community work recently...still working from home (I'm slightly agrophobic), but doing things that benefit others and myself...I don't feel as if I need any particular church to attend in order to feel that I am doing right...I try to be good to others, put their feelings on a par with my own, so that I try not to be selfish, and to treat others as I would expect to be treated...what more can I do?

Guest Taoist_Saint

I am terrible at meditation, but I hope to become better at it. I decided to abandon the quest for Nirvana and just use it to achieve more peace in my daily life...more realistic, I think.

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by pushka@Apr 12 2005, 04:09 PM

I'm by no means perfect, in fact I hide myself away from the world a lot when things become too much, I still rely on anti depressants and sleeping tablets to get me through the week...however, I feel tons better since becoming involved with voluntary Community work recently...still working from home (I'm slightly agrophobic), but doing things that benefit others and myself...I don't feel as if I need any particular church to attend in order to feel that I am doing right...I try to be good to others, put their feelings on a par with my own, so that I try not to be selfish, and to treat others as I would expect to be treated...what more can I do?

I remember you when you first came to these boards (or at least the first time I saw you here)...you seem like a whole new person...much more positive, talkative. I think you told me back then that you were afraid to post messages because of self-esteem issues (was that you?). Now I see you posting very interesting things all the time.

By the way, I am also dependent on medication to get me throught the day. I hope to go off of them in the near future, but I'm not ashamed of it. I think of my emotional problems (OCD especially) as a diabetes-like illness that needs to be medicated every day. It helps me make the distinction between the "real me" and the "disease".

Okay, short and sweet:

I was born in Ogden, Utah to goodly (though Mormon) parents. When I was in 4th Grade, I asked a friend which Church (meaning ward) he went too, and he said "Lutheran". I went home and asked Mom where the Lutheran ward was. That's when I first learned about this big place called "the rest of the world".

Growing up LDS, I wasn't very fond of the church. It was horribly boring, and from as young as I can recall, I tried to skip out on primary and later sunday school/priesthood.

I attended seminary 3 years out of 4 (my senior year, I opted out of it) and began searching for some real meaning to life.

After High School, I read the Bible for the first time in my life.

I found God.

Then I read the BoM and D&C and entered the MTC.

In the mission field, I found out that there was a reason why I felt spiritually malnourished in the church, and decided that my church wasn't very spiritual at all. (But it looks good on paper!)

Returning home, I wanted to spend all my time teaching the gospel, in a non-commitment pattern format. Since the LDS don't have a paid clergy (unless you're a GA) I decided Seminary would be great. I entered Weber State University's OPT program, and began teaching at Syracuse Jr. High.

Then I realized that the commitment pattern would have been better than the "all fun and games" approach to Mormon seminary. Additionally, I was studying early Mormonism, and began to realize that there were many changes made in both doctrines and temple ordinances.

Looking back, I suppose that I hoped that Mormon Fundamentalism would provide me with the spiritual food that was lacking in the official LDS church. Figuring that the LDS church apostasy from the teachings of the early LDS leaders would explain the spiritual depravity of Mormonism, I made the switch.

That lasted about a year until I realized that it wasn't any different (just a lot more sex going on).

Abandoning all hope in God (since we LDS are raised to believe that if Mormonism isn't true, nothing is) I became an agnostic / Deist for awhile. I flirted with Atheism as well, but it proved unsatisfactory.

Then God interviened and I began to search Him out again. I started with researching early Christianity from a non-Mormon perspective. I poured over various western theologians and realized that it's nothing like what I was taught as a Mormon.

I eventually decided that I would become a Roman Catholic. They held to most of the teachings of early Christianity (certainly more than the "Restorationists" profess) and I'd always liked Catholicism for some reason. I guess it appealed to my sense of self.

However, there still was something missing. I wasn't sure what it was, but I still sensed something not quite right. So I still investigated other faiths (Lutherans, Presbyterians, Episcopalians) but they seemed even more lacking than the Roman Catholics.

I was uncomfortable with some of the "newer" Roman Catholics doctrines. Especially Immaculate Conception of Mary, Infalliability, Papal Supremacy, the new Mass, and similiar things. Wanting to go on faith, I decided to enter the RCIA in spite of my concerns.

Then one day, while driving in Salt Lake City, I passed by Sts. Peter and Paul Antiochian Orthodox Church at 355 S. 300 E.. I had always wanted to attend a "Greek" Orthodox church, so I stuck my head in. It was saturday, but I lucked out that someone just had their marriage "crowned". I was welcomed and given a tour by Father Basil Hartung.

Call it the incense, call it the Ikons, call it the lack of pews, but I was very interested. Something resonated in me that I hadn't felt before.

My wife who was not interested went in after she saw my face. She didn't want to be Roman Catholic, but knew that Mormonism wasn't true either. At this point, she was going to remain a "jack" mormon, and that was all.

She was even more interested than I was in Eastern Orthodoxy!

We've been attending the Parish there since October of 2004. Even though it's an 80 mile trip every sunday, we go because we've discovered something. That there really IS a true Church of Christ. That neither God nor Man destroyed it (as promised).

Today my wife and I are Catechumens (the LDS equavalent of investigators who've committed to baptism) and when the time is right, we'll ask Father Basil for baptism. (That's one significant difference, instead of committing to baptism, they don't even ask. You have too!)

-----

Edited

-----

So after baptism, I finally partook of the holy rites of Eastern Orthodoxy. Finding myself a bit too skeptic of the many awe inspiring stories of the Saints, I began again to question my beliefs in Jesus and his supposed church.

Finding myself unable to continue in what I felt was yet another mockery of the Creator....I chose to leave behind this Church, and all other Churches with their various gods.

I happily embrace Deism, as the best natural religion available. I look to the wisdom of the east for further enlightment...

To be continued...

Guest Taoist_Saint

You obviously have alot of love for Christ to spend all that time investigating new religions, but never abandoning Christianity for the alternatives.

You obviously have alot of love for Christ to spend all that time investigating new religions, but never abandoning Christianity for the alternatives.

I have done some research on various "Eastern" religions. One of my favorite memories was visiting the City of Ten Thousand Buddha's when I was a Missionary in No. California.

Here's a site that has a few pics of the Buddhist monastery:

http://www.urbandharma.org/images/CityofTe...housandBuddhas/

And, as I've said, Eastern philosophy has for a long time now held a special place inside me. :)

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint@Apr 12 2005, 04:38 PM

I remember you when you first came to these boards (or at least the first time I saw you here)...you seem like a whole new person...much more positive, talkative. I think you told me back then that you were afraid to post messages because of self-esteem issues (was that you?). Now I see you posting very interesting things all the time.

By the way, I am also dependent on medication to get me throught the day. I hope to go off of them in the near future, but I'm not ashamed of it. I think of my emotional problems (OCD especially) as a diabetes-like illness that needs to be medicated every day. It helps me make the distinction between the "real me" and the "disease".

Tao...yes that was me...under confident and all the rest...I'm slowly getting there, although I still wonder sometimes, when I'm posting on here, that I may be offending the LDS people, and be viewed as an 'anti' instead of as somebody who has been through the 'system' and has just formed their own ideas about what to believe and take from it as good, and what to ignore, without wishing to offend anybody who has chosen to accept the Church totally...

My friends, who work with me in the Community Groups to which I belong, have really helped me to believe in myself, and to explore my creativity...I now work on newsletters, posters and leaflets for at least 3 groups, and attend many meetings a month plus work shops for media skills and 'governance'...and this keeps me from being completely isolated as I was in the last few years...and makes me feel useful. I hope that I can keep on 'keeping on' and remain as happy as I feel at this moment.

Guest Taoist_Saint

Well, I think most people can tell the difference between and anti and an unbeliever. SOME people can be very christ-like on this board.

Guest TheProudDuck

Since I'm one of those insufferably self-absorbed souls to whom a thread like could be an invitation for me to write a "War and Peace"-sized post All About Me, I think I'll try to keep it short, or maybe just write a couple of things as they occur to me.

Basic description: 33 years old Orange County renter, married to marvelously compatible duckling with three children -- one 16-year-old stepson acquired with marriage, three-year-old petite girl and one-year-old hug-loving pirate/linebacker hybrid boy. I practice law with the South Coast Metro office of an old Los Angeles firm that seems to have slipped from the top tier; I sometimes feel like I'm playing AAA ball. Former Newport Beach lifeguard; attended BYU, served mission in Iceland; grow fruit trees; surf with dismayingly decreasing frequency as responsibilities accumulate; working on screenplay (as is everyone else down here, it seems); enjoy falling off mountain bikes; influenced by Aquinas, Locke, and Kant in the secular-philosophy department.

Religious stuff to follow later.

Guest Taoist_Saint

I have done some research on various "Eastern" religions. One of my favorite memories was visiting the City of Ten Thousand Buddha's when I was a Missionary in No. California.

Here's a site that has a few pics of the Buddhist monastery:

http://www.urbandharma.org/images/CityofTe...housandBuddhas/

And, as I've said, Eastern philosophy has for a long time now held a special place inside me. 

Cool! I would love to visit that place.