Introductions

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by dizzysmiles@Oct 27 2005, 01:08 PM

Thankyou good, what's your life like?

I'm single and live alone, but I do have a girlfriend that I like.

I was going to college, but I took some time off to earn more money. I will go back as soon as I can.

I have two pet raccoons, (Tom & Jerry), that I raised from babies. They remind me of a cross between a dog and a cat by the way that they act. They are very tame, litter box trained and know simple commands like sit, stand, hide, bring/get, lay down, come etc. Their number 1 favorite treat hands down are grapes, then bananas and watermelon. For meals they eat cat food.

I also have a cat and her four kittens that were starving and adopted me this summer.

I don't like to watch sports on TV except boxing or some of the Olympics events, but I do like to play most sports. My favorite ones are: karate, basketball, road bicycle racing, canoeing, volleyball, bowling, horseshoe pitching, running/jogging and weight lifting.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by dizzysmiles@Oct 27 2005, 11:21 AM

I have a quick question for you people, if your ex mormon why do you come to mormon siteS?  not that im not glad you do, also Jason if you thought you found the right church before your mission then why did you search agian and if you thought it was true before what makes this catholic church true?  Also for those of you saying that yopu believe in some of the bible not all of it? can't be. you ethir believe it all or you dont.

Hi Dizzy...welcome to the board.

I removed my own introduction because it offended a few people here and they wouldn't leave me alone...that was the first post in this thread. But I think I will go back and edit it again to show that my thoughts about the LDS have changed.

Anyway, I wanted to answer your questions.

Jason is no longer Catholic...he tried various Christian churches and then decided that he was a Deist (I also consider myself a Deist in some ways, until I find a better definition for my beliefs). So I assume he now doubts the Catholics, and the Orthodox, and the Protestants for the same reason he doesn't believe in the LDS Church...lack of evidence.

As for the Bible...

It is my understanding that that the Bible was not written all at the same time. It is a collection of various scriptures that were voted on by early Christians, who decided which ones would be included and which ones would not be included in their Bible. Because of that, we can expect to find parts that may conflict, though depending how you interpret it, you might argue that nothing conflicts. But also keep in mind that much was left out...The Gospel of Thomas for example...and who knows what other scriptures were left out that have never been discovered? That is not really reason to disbelieve the Bible...but good enough reason to consider it incomplete...I think the LDS consider it incomplete anyway, so that should not conflict with your beliefs.

As for believing part of it, not all of it...I think it is possible.

For example, I believe that the historical events in the Bible are true, but exaggerated to the point where they become mythology. As I mentioned in our recent thread about Moses, I believe there were Hebrew slaves who escaped the Egyptians under the leadership of a Hebrew named Moses. But I don't necessarily believe that God helped them, or that God cursed Egypt, or in any of the miracles surrounding the story. Just because it is written down, doesn't mean it is true. It could have been exaggerated to promote the religious beliefs of Moses' followers (which I believe it was). Same goes for Jesus. I think he existed and challenged the Hebrew traditions while preaching compassion and forgiveness. But I believe the story was exaggerated by Christians (who wrote it down long after Jesus died) to support their church's doctrines.

Just my opinion, but I hope that explains how a person can believe SOME of the Bible but not ALL of it.

:)

the bible is in a way like shakespears plays, people have taken things out of it or changed it therefore we believe the bible to bve the word of god as long as its translated correctly. so do you belive the red sea was lifted so they could get over? do you belive that christ was crucified but you just dont believe that he was ressurected? i dont go in the open forums so i dont read the stuff about it when and why did jason leave the catholic church? Or jason will you anwser me on that one?

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by dizzysmiles@Nov 1 2005, 07:44 PM

the bible is in a way like shakespears plays, people have taken things out of it or changed it therefore we believe the bible to bve the word of god as long as its translated correctly. so do you belive the red sea was lifted so they could get over? do you belive that christ was crucified but you just dont believe that he was ressurected?  i dont go in the open forums so i dont read the stuff about it when and why did jason leave the catholic church?  Or jason will you anwser me on that one?

I am not saying that you are wrong to believe the Bible...I respect your difference of opinion and your right to believe in it. I am just explaining that it is possible to believe in parts of it, while rejecting other parts.

I don't know how Moses got across the red sea. The true story behind Exodus might be completely different.

As for Jesus...yes, I believe he was crucified but not resurrected, but I think his teachings are still very important...compassion and forgiveness...and in that sense he lives on.

I don't go to the Open Forums either...I don't usually like debate. I spent months here doing that, and believe me...people will not listen to you unless you already agree with them...on both sides!

And I have a feeling Jason is not reading this thread...

Guest Taoist_Saint

I don't know about Jason...his story is long...I assume he just couldn't believe in the divinity of Jesus anymore because it is hard to believe in things that require a leap of faith.

To answer your questions about me...

I am married and have a daughter. When I said my view of the LDS has changed, I meant my view of my relationship to the Church. I used to think that I joined the Church for the right reasons, but now I realize I was wrong. I joined the Church because my wife was LDS...I later found out that was the wrong reason to join the Church, and that one should not join a Church that they do not believe in. But at least the experience has given me and her a greater knowledge of the LDS Church and helped us to respect each others different beliefs...and to find out which beliefs we have in common.

Once again, welcome to the board :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Edgar@Nov 11 2005, 08:44 AM

just joined today, so i thought i'd say hello before i started to post, so hello

Ive been looking for somewhere  to vent my opinions since i was banned from the reachout trust board,  look forward to speaking to you all . if you want to say hi  you can email me @  [email protected]

Welcome... and tell us a little about why you were banned from the reachout trust board... LOL

I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say on all our topics.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Charlie!

I'm sure this will become more noticeable as you read thru the threads, but as Jason pointed out above, there are a great variety of us non-mormons as well as LDS on the forums, and we each love to voice our own opinions on all sorts of matters! The opinions are well varied too, and some of the debates can become quite heated at times.

Please try not to be offended by some initial comments, until you find your feet and suss out when a person is just 'playing' with you, and is mostly a good serious poster, you may be prone to being over sensitive!! Just ride the storms and enjoy the journey. You will, no doubt, be told not to take all that the LDS people say on here as being 'official' LDS doctrine, as they each have their own 'take' on certain matters, and somebody is bound to advise you to check out the LDS information websites where they feel you will receive more balanced answers to some of your enquiries....

Well, I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Elder Bell. I was BIC(born into the covenant) raised all around the Pacific Northwest. During high school I heavily questioned whether or not I wanted to go on a mission. At 19 I decided I would be a fool not to spread the what I had received in the Gospel to others who were waiting in darkness. So I sent in my papers in (mid or late)November, got them back a week and a half later and was in the MTC Jan. 14 2004. I was called to the OHIO-Cincinnati mission. On February 1st I was sent home on medical release(manic depressive).

After being sent home I felt dejected and incapable of returning to the mission field. In late February while meeting with my counselor(who is LDS) I was notified by him that he was being called to be a Branch President of a branch in Lakewood, Washington that was struggling and being given one last chance before it was dissolved. There were about 5 or 6 individuals(Young single adults) actually attending and he extended an "unofficial call" for me to help him build the branch. Which I accepted. I spent that next year in Elders Quorum Presidency working to help build up the branch, and from what started at 6 souls(much like the start of the church...wink..j/k) ended when I left at 80+.

In that time I gained a knowledge and testimony of Church government and revelation. Little did I know that the Lord was preparing me to return to the mission field. Approximately one year later my home ward bishop called me in and requested that I return on a mission to the Seattle Temple and finish my call. That is where I am today, since I have been here I have worked on the grounds, in the cafeteria, and as of a few weeks ago and ordinance worker. Being in the temple as much as I have has started the refining process within me and around me that will help me return to Heavenly Father, and to lead a christ-like life. I have also since serving in the Temple(I have nine months left on my call) joined the Bellevue Institute Council and found an even greater love for unity and scripture than I had before.

I do not understand how anyone can doubt the Lord's matchless work. Or how one can stray from the warmth that permeates from the Gospel and living it's standards. How blessed are we brothers and sisters to have the truth in the Latter Days.

Originally posted by porterrockwell@Nov 26 2005, 07:43 PM

I do not understand how anyone can doubt the Lord's matchless work.  Or how one can stray from the warmth that permeates from the Gospel and living it's standards.  How blessed are we brothers and sisters to have the truth in the Latter Days. 

Because religion (yours and theirs) was created by man for man. The Creator, whomever or whatever that is, had nothing to do with it. And if a given religion does not satisfy the needs of it's adhearents, then they must of necessity move on.

Now you know.

SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tis me, Estump...now eleigh1977. I did not know that you were a single dad now. Is this new for you? (sorry I am nosey, but I know a little of your history from the past :) ) I am sorry that things could not work out, because I know that you worked very hard. You my friend are a good man...even if you are a godless heathen. :P

Hello! I have been a member, actively and not so actively of LDS Talk forever and a day. I think almost 8 years to be exact. I've known Heather since before she was hitched. :D

It was so nice to Sgallan post. :-)

A lot of the boards I used to frequent are going haywire....or veeeeery slow, so I thought I would come back and see how LDS talk was doing. I truly prefer this format over anyone it has ever had. IT's so much nicer on the eyes.

I am LDS...yada yada yada. I have been married for almost 8 years and had three great children in that time frame. My daughter, passed away two years ago. My son will be 7 in April and my other Daughter will be 4 in March.

If you ever watch mind of Mencia....then you can get a pretty good idea of the kind of man I married. I swear he and my husband share the same brain! At least I am always laughing in our relationship.

I don't really know what else to say. I'll be 29 in May....but I'll tell everyone I am 30, because it sounds like I am lying, otherwise...plus I'll prepare my mind to wrap around the fact that I made it out of my 20's. (IOW, I don't want to hyperventilate over the aging process).

My plan is w/ in the next four years to get my RN and then work my way on to become a Nurse Practitioner.

I write, sing, take piano lessons...and cook.

So there.

Hi Eleigh and Pushka

Eleigh, I had my estranged wife arrested for using drugs in the house last February.... Valentines day actually. It sort of forced her into rehab. She got clean but the drugs really caused some damage to her brain this time. Bottom line is she left and isn't coming back. I got the kid. Lots of bills. And since this is the neighborhood hang out house I have several other kids.... mostly girls.... hanging out constantly. The house is a bit of a wreck as a result.

Otherwise I am still coaching wrestling.... from little kids to adults. Reni is still a prodigy with 4 state titles against the boys, and two national titles against the girls. We may move to Cali and she has four clubs recruiting her already. I also teach distance ed at a college.... most of my students are incarcerated. And do a little independent pest control for a company and owner I otherwise avoid.... long story.

The link below is a picture gallery. I can't direct link but you'll see a pic in the middle with an old guy with a goatee (me), and a bunch of various sized kids. Click on it. Reni is the girl with my arm around her. Next to the group photo is photo's of Reni wrestling a gold medal winner from Egypt.... he really took a liking to her. On page four of that group of photos is a picture of Reni pinning a girl from Pennsylvania (her legs are in the air) in the semi finals at nationals in Michigan. Reni got Outstanding Wrestler in that tournament.

http://www.azwrestler.net/postnuke/index.p...Picture_Gallery

Originally posted by eleigh1977@Nov 30 2005, 06:36 PM

SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Tis me, Estump...now eleigh1977. I did not know that you were a single dad now. Is this new for you? (sorry I am nosey, but I know a little of your history from the past :) )  I am sorry that things could not work out, because I know that you worked very hard. You my friend are a good man...even if you are a godless heathen.  :P

ROFL.....Welcome back Estump.....er eleigh! :)

and LOL...You too Scott!

Welcome to the board Charlie!

Scott, Reni is gorgeous! Her smile lights up a room doesn't it? It is so cool she is a wrestler. You and dh have the same hair style. :sparklygrin: You are doing a great job with your daughter. KUDOS to you.

I am very sorry about your wife. I get the drug thing, damaging the brain...MIL is the same way. She had a severe case of the DT's last year and hasn't been the same since. Still drinking and I suspect probably using something too.

It's tough and dh and I reached a point where we're done. He has told his mom no more and she is no longer allowed in our life. It just gets to a point where either they can't take it anymore, or YOU can't take it anymore.

You are a good man...and look like a great coach. :-) My uncle coaches wrestling and loves it.

Lindy, THANKS for the welcome :D