1 Nephi 22:31

pam

Reference Search: 1 Nephi 22:31

31 Wherefore, ye need not suppose that I and my father are the only ones that have testified, and also taught them. Wherefore, if ye shall be obedient to the commandments, and endure to the end, ye shall be saved at the last day. And thus it is. Amen.

Quotes for Discussion

Endure to the end. What does that mean? I believe it means basically three things. One: We must continue to repent for the rest of our lives because we will still make mistakes, and we must go home clean or we can’t dwell with the Father and the Son (see D&C 84:74). Two: We must continue to forgive others. If we do not forgive others, we cannot obtain forgiveness ourselves (see D&C 64:9-10). And three: Yes we must be nice. If we’re not nice, I don’t think we’re going to make it. In other words, we must have charity, which is really love plus sacrifice.

Hartmon Rector Jr., Ensign, Nov. 1994, p. 26<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t202 path="m,l,21600r21600,l21600,xe" o:spt="202" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t"></v:path></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: 15.05pt; Z-INDEX: 251678720; MARGIN-LEFT: -37.05pt; WIDTH: 36pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 27pt" stroked="f" filled="f" type="#_x0000_t202"></v:shape><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> In 1968 a marathon runner by the name of John Stephen Akhwari represented <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Tanzania</st1:country-region></st1:place> in an international competition. “A little over an hour after [the winner] had crossed the finish line, John Stephen Akhwari…approached the stadium, the last man to complete the journey. [Though he was suffering from fatigue, leg cramps, dehydration, and disorientation,] a voice called from within to go on, and so he went on. Afterwards, it was written, ‘Today we have seen a young African runner who symbolizes the finest in human spirit, a performance that gives meaning to the word courage. For some, the only reward is a personal one. [There are no medals, only] the knowledge that they finished what they set out to do’ (The Last African Runner, Olympiad Series, Bud Greenspan, Cappy Productions, 1976, videocassette). When asked why he would complete a race he could never win, Akhwari replied, ‘My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race; my country sent me to finish the race.’ He knew who he was—an athlete representing the country of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tanzania</st1:place></st1:country-region>. He knew his purpose—to finish the race. He knew that he had to endure to the finish, so that he could honorably return home to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tanzania</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Our mission in life is much the same. We were not sent by Father in Heaven just to be born. We were sent to endure and return to Him with honor….We learn to endure to the end by learning to finish our current responsibilities, and we simply continue doing it all of our lives. We cannot expect to learn endurance in our later years if we have developed the habit of quitting when things get difficult now.

Robert D. Hales, Ensign, May 1998, pp. 76-77<o:p></o:p>

<v:shape id=_x0000_s1027 style="MARGIN-TOP: 9pt; Z-INDEX: 251679744; MARGIN-LEFT: -37.05pt; WIDTH: 36pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 27pt" stroked="f" filled="f" type="#_x0000_t202"></v:shape><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> I testify that it is not sufficient to be baptized and then live an acceptable life avoiding major transgressions. The Lord has decreed that…additional ordinances and covenants…must be received for exaltation and eternal life. Being worthy of temple ordinances means that you will choose to do what many in the world are not willing to do. You will keep the Sabbath day holy, exercise faith through the payment of tithing and fast offerings, consistently participate in Church worship, give service, and show love and appreciation for your family by helping each member of it. After you have received all of the temple ordinances, you will continue to grow by keeping the covenants made and faithfully “endur[ing] to the end” (Omni 1:26).

Richard G. Scott, Ensign, May 1997, p. 54<o:p></o:p>

<v:shape id=_x0000_s1028 style="MARGIN-TOP: 12.85pt; Z-INDEX: 251680768; MARGIN-LEFT: -37.05pt; WIDTH: 36pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 27pt" stroked="f" filled="f" type="#_x0000_t202"></v:shape><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> So, we are talking about durable discipleship! Not the kind that stays in place only for a season and then disappears. In fact, it could be truly said of each one of us here tonight that how much we will have to give later on, in some respects, will depend on how much we can take now. Learning to “endure well” is, among many other things, being able to lose face without losing heart. It is also being able to pass through seeming or real injustice, as did Job, without, as the scriptures say, “[charging] God foolishly” (Job 1:22). A friend of mine who passed through a most severe trial, when I discussed it with him, said simply, “If it’s fair, it isn’t a trial.” He passed through it most gracefully. I know a widow of a General Authority who waited patiently for over forty years to rejoin her husband. I doubt she ever murmured; she merely went on quietly doing as Nephi urged: “Following the example of the Son of the Living God.”

Neal A. Maxwell, BYU Fireside, Dec. 2, 1984<o:p></o:p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Enduring to the End" is encapsulated in D&C 50:24 "That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day."

"The Perfect Day" is that day when(through your faith), you wrend the Veil and kneel before the LORD, bathing His feet in your tears.

This is what "Enduring to the End" means, ultimately- for this life...

Edited by Jerubbaal

• 1 year later...

Enduring to the end all the trials and tribulations, all the afflictions, the hardships. Building our faith in heavenly father through practicing our saviors examples daily and nightly. Through prayer, scriptures, service to our neighbors and fulfilling our church callings. Being responsible, accountable, and teaching our children the examples of our savior so that they may have a foundation to build upon themselves.