Cultural shock

Argentina84

Hej! Hello! Hola!

I'm very much interested in how you people might have encountered what's called "cultural shock" in your lives when moving to a different country- specially when the culture is different, ofc!

I'm soon travelling to Scandinavia and I am a little anxious about that. I know that belonging to the Church is great help because it's the same all over the world but can you plz share some of your experiences with me?

Thanks a lot!

Argentina84

Hej! Hello! Hola!

I'm very much interested in how you people might have encountered what's called "cultural shock" in your lives when moving to a different country- specially when the culture is different, ofc!

I'm soon travelling to Scandinavia and I am a little anxious about that. I know that belonging to the Church is great help because it's the same all over the world but can you plz share some of your experiences with me?

Thanks a lot!

Argentina84

Well, depending on where you are from in Argentina you will freeze in Scandinavia or not. English is widely spoken so that is a plus. If you have a good tan you will be a celebrity there. People are very polite and kind, very friendly and inquisitive. You will find they want to know everything about you. Share but do not boast.

The shock is the food. Nothing like we are used to in this side of the world. Remember: "when in Rome, do as the Romans" and roll with the punches.

The shock is the food. Nothing like we are used to in this side of the world. Remember: "when in Rome, do as the Romans" and roll with the punches.

I moved to the US from the Philippines when I was 21. Before coming here, I was told that Americans eat hamburgers - no rice. So, I made myself familiar with McDonald's. I was also told that Americans eat steak and potatoes - again, no rice. So, I familiarized myself with that too.

Anyway, I touched down in San Francisco at 11PM and I was starving so my friends took me to Taco Bell! I've never heard of a Taco before! I looked at the menu on the board and the only thing I recognize is Pizza. So I ordered that. Crazy thing is not regular pizza - it was some wierd spicy concoction. I ate it anyway (you know, when in rome...) and got diarrhea the next day! :D

A few days later, my friends took me to a Filipino store and a Filipino restaurant. I LOVE AMERICA! Only place you can be American and still eat Filipino food. :D

So yeah, Scandinavian countries are quite a change from Argentina. But then, that's what makes it such a grand adventure!

A few years ago I moved from South Africa to Malaysia with my husband..

These are some things that helped us the most (we didn't have any problems with "culture shock" but I know a few people who did)

1) Do your research about the country

2) Find where the church is

3) Don't expect it to be the same as the country you are coming from.. It is not

4) Go with an open mind

5) If you want to save money, live like the locals do.. We used to go to the local places more than the foreign ones.. We saved alot of money that way

6) Try to make friends with people who are living there (makes it a bit easier if you know a few people before you get there)

7) Try to findout where the medical centres are in case of an emergency.

8) Think of your move as an adventure - because it really is an adventrue to move to another country...

9) Don't try to look for all the negatives (people who live in that country may not be too charmed with someone telling them what is wrong with thier country)

10) Have as much fun as possible.. Go see the sites etc

We lived in Malaysia for 2 years.. My son was born there.. We had a great time.. Still miss Malaysia alot some days... We have made some great friends that we still have contact with now.

So anatess...do you live anywhere near Salt Lake City? I could use some good authentic pancit, lumpia and chicken adobo. I haven't had those in ages and ages.

So anatess...do you live anywhere near Salt Lake City? I could use some good authentic pancit, lumpia and chicken adobo. I haven't had those in ages and ages.

Unfortunately, I'm all the way to the end of I-10 East from you. But, if you give me a snail mail address via PM, I can send you a ready-to-cook kit with very easy instructions to make pancit and adobo! I can't send you the lumpia one because the wrapper is perishable.

I've given these to all my friends and they absolutely love it. We even had Valentine's Day activity at our ward where I cooked pansit, lumpia, and adobo for a sit-down romantic dinner complete with YM/YW servers and romantic piano music. :-)

Well, depending on where you are from in Argentina you will freeze in Scandinavia or not. English is widely spoken so that is a plus. If you have a good tan you will be a celebrity there. People are very polite and kind, very friendly and inquisitive. You will find they want to know everything about you. Share but do not boast.

Hah Well Im from Buenos Aires so yes, I suppose I will freeze in Sweden :P But I will enjoy summer a lot there, it's not so humid and hot. As regards the food what you say is sooo true! My hubby lived here for 5 months and got 10 extra kilos hah He loved "asado", "empanadas", "milanesas", "choripan", and our sweets like "dulce de leche". He misses the food a lot! I will, too.

Thanks a lot for your answers! I will try and do as the Romans... :) First thing I should speak in a lower voice, not complain in public, and smile less. :P And I will have to forget about the kisses on the cheeks for everyone!

Kind regards!

Argentina84