Isn't location an important part of prepardeness?

ultprep

same with this record heat wave we are experiencing. People don't take mother nature seriously enough. I called home depot and they sold the first 50 AC units in 30 minutes. As the clerk described it "It was like a mad rush mob mentality" when they opened the doors to the store. Those who got there to late, well thay missed out and alot had lost there tempers.

Living in the city has its pitfalls...one of them is the supplies can suddenly dwindle to nothing over night.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We chose to live in the mountains for many of the reasons stated. We have a garden... building back our food supply..( my hubby was laid off for 7 months) learned alot from that expeience. I know better what we will need and run out of first. we have learned to live with less and use what we have better. I recycle and ended our need for garbage service ......... We have a genarator. We are more prepared than most but would like to be even better. Wheere we live we have power outages sometimes in the winter from the snow.... We suvive nicely through it and always help our neighbors.

I think this person is right about the physical aspects of emergency preparedness. You can have the best backpack in the world to get you around but, what about the condition of your body? Evacuation on foot is a serious matter. Walking long distances with a backpack is part of the army requirement. Those soldiers are in shape to not drag down the rest of the troops. You to must be some what in good physical shape. If not, you could be left behind.

Always remember this, the larger the regional disaster, the bigger the problem with fuel supplies, transportation, communications and the list goes on and on. Find some one out of state to live with for a undetermined period of time if the disaster is region wide.

BTW, here is a picture of a storm surge that wiped out the community of Gilchrest texas.

Every single home was reduced to rubble except one! in this shoreline community. Why did it survive? because it was built to withstand storm surges.

Their house survived Ike, but it's the only one left - CNN.com

I'm going to say something here that might rub people the wrong way. Please know that this is just my opinion and is what I apply to my life and not necessarily applicable to everybody else's... Okay, my husband and I agree that part of emergency preparedness is taking care of our health. We are big on exercise for strength and stamina - including the kids. We watch our weights because it is an indication of some imbalance in our health. Not only that, we also watch our body fat percentages and muscle mass. We have been lucky that we have not had to encounter chronic illnesses. My grandfather died of a stroke caused by high blood pressure. My father has the same health issue. So, I diligently watch my food intake to keep my blood pressure low. My husband's dad has diabetes. So my husband watches his food intake to lower his risk for diabetes as well. When emergency strikes, we feel we will be better able to survive it if we are in optimum health.

Wow, I can write quite a long post! And it is only worth a measley 2 cents...

You can have the best backpack in the world to get you around but, what about the condition of your body? Evacuation on foot is a serious matter.

Very true, and very much on my mind these days. One realistic scenario we're preparing for, is getting stuck in town (30 miles away from our house), and unable to make it home up the mountain for a period of time.

My pack includes sturdy boots and is as light as I can make it. I could probably make it home in two days. The car my wife and kids drive around in has a much larger pack and more cash, meant to allow them to stay put for a few days. Because my 5 yr old isn't about to become a long distance hiker any time soon.

I started taking walks around my neighboorhood, and where I work. I'm going to start adding a pack to those walks soon.

LM

bcguy, I just had six huge blood clots eliminated from my lungs. I was in good shape, but I let myself get out of shape fast by sitting around taking care of a loved one. What I'm saying is that you must keep on doing your program of walking, light jogging or whatever is best “cardio” for you. If you stop doing your regular program, you could suffer from that let down in many ways. The consequences may not be like mine were, but there could be some unwanted consequences. So, whatever you do please keep on your program. Incidentally, it is always better to have your wife or a family member to share your program with. Good luck. Gargantuan

We just got home from a 3-day survival camp. It was great! Live off 2 backpacks for 3 days/2-nights and camped at Ginnie Springs. Yeah, Ginnie Springs was an indulgent place... I mean, we had the campsite without electricity and water but we were right on the Santa Fe river with several swimming holes on site and there was a store and restrooms. So, yeah, I bought nice flip-flops from the store when mine broke, so it wasn't "pure" survival. But, we were able to get our almost-8-year-old to swim 100 yards and learn to save somebody in the water using a line. We do this thing every year to keep our packs updated and just to have some fun. Because, yes, it is survival camp, but, it is also very fun to do with my husband and 2 boys...

Dear Anatess, It sounds like you and your family had a great time learning more about techniques of outdoor survival. The experience you had should be written up on a blog and shared with others. I hope you find the time to express more of your thoughts about outdoor survival. Gargantuan :)

Edited by Gargantuan
wording

I wouldn't feel comfortable writing the blog... my husband should write it. I'm really a big pansy. I whine every year about why we can't bring an air mattress... because okay, so there won't be air mattresses when the hurricane strikes, but, I always say I'll deal with that part then! My husband is the ultimate boy scout - if it wasn't for me, he'd do the survival camp without packaged food - as in, they'll go hunt squirrels or something!

By the way, has anybody heard about some bill in Congress that makes it illegal for kids under 18 to have a firearm? My husband was wanting to take our oldest boy (turning 8) hunting...

The tentative plan for next year is to hike down the Grand Canyon through the Havasupai in our packs. The youngest child should be old enough then to do the hike. I think it's 10 miles down, then camp, then 8 miles up, but not sure on that. So, that puts another layer of survival training - because on a hike, the pack can't be more than 1/3 of the person's weight carrying it, or something to that effect. That would drastically limit our water, so we have to figure that one out. And we have to be physically ready for the hike - especially the kids. So yeah. I'm excited and scared at the same time.

Hidden

You're not a pansie you're just using good common sense and that good in any situation. If there is an emergency and you are even half way prepared for it you are way ahead of most of the rest. You will be in a position where you can help others who'll ned help.

By the way, the right to bear arms is a constitutional right and if mandated to an age limit I think the individual states will have that right. For instance, Nevada has had a law like that for years and may still have it on their books. It's called States Rights and is legal as long as it doesn't infringe on Constitutional [Federal] Rights. Gar

You're not a pansie. You’re just using good common sense and that good in any situation. If there is an emergency and you are even half way prepared for it you are way ahead of most of the rest. You will be in a position where you can help others who'll need help.

By the way, the right to bear arms is a constitutional right and if mandated to an age limit I think the individual states will have that right. For instance, Nevada has had a law like that for years and may still have it on their books. It's called States Rights and is legal as long as it doesn't infringe on your Constitutional or Federal Rights. Gar

All my children took hunter safety and your kids can take it anytime. In Oregon they have to be 12 to be a firsttime hunter. I think the laws are different for bird ( pheasant/duck hunting). My children have all been around guns, are respectful, know the rules and can hunt for food or defend themselves if ever necessary. Sounds like your family is awesome... you are very lucky .

By the way, has anybody heard about some bill in Congress that makes it illegal for kids under 18 to have a firearm? My husband was wanting to take our oldest boy (turning 8) hunting...

There's H.R. 45, Blair Holt's "Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act" currently in committee. It's meant "to provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes." That's code for implementing a federal firearms licensing system, and making it illegal for anyone to own a gun who doesn't have a federal firearms license.

Sounds nasty, I hope it dies and rots in the neveregions of hades where it belongs.

LM

LM there already is in place in Oregon a sort of monitering to purchace weapons. You have to pass a short background check with the state police. You have to wait a set amount of time and the gun you purchaced is on record as being bought by you. This is no the case for swaps and private sales.

Farmer yes you are partaially correct. My son is a first time hunter and could fill his dad's tag if he is with him. that was lastr year now this year he is getting his own tag.

Prospect, the back ground check is a nation wide program. Some states have waiting periods and some do not. Oregon does not. Gun show retailers are also required to to perform back grounds via a 4473 form. The funny thing is the atf says they do not store information as to WHO owns what guns(registration) but that is exactly what they do. The fact is we already have national registration and have had for years but nobody calls it what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Several posts have painted a bleak picture for urban dwellers. However, that is using broad generalities. In developing your personal plan, you need to look at specifics of your situation. Yes, things will generally go bad faster and on a larger scale in cities than in rural areas.

However, if your neighborhood has several residents who are like-minded with you and have made their preparations, you can unite to preserve your little corner of the earth as a safe haven from whatecver is going on around you. Get to know your neighbors, be involved socially at first and when you think the time is right bring up emergency preparedness, if they haven't already.

If they come up with the classic "I don't need to prepare, you have a year's supply" you may point out that you have stored for your family, they should store for theirs and you'll help them learn how. Also, food is only one part of prepping, there are many other factors to consider, and by joining together, you can all prep together and do much better in case of disaster. Finally, if all else fails point out or remind them of the Church's welfare principle, nothing is handed out, it is worked for.

If they come up with the classic "I don't need to prepare, you have a year's supply" you may point out that you have stored for your family, they should store for theirs and you'll help them learn how. Also, food is only one part of prepping, there are many other factors to consider, and by joining together, you can all prep together and do much better in case of disaster. Finally, if all else fails point out or remind them of the Church's welfare principle, nothing is handed out, it is worked for.

Or, you can point them to my "wife's" blog:

Top 10 responses to "Oh, if something bad happens, I'll just come to your house!"

10. Not without six months of your own supplies, you won't.

9. Yeah, your family means so little to you, I'll be sure to pick up your slack. Why don't you bring all your credit card debt while you're at it.

8. Sweet! We needed a decoy to walk the wire and be the first person shot!

7. Just be sure you show up with a ladder. Not sure how many corpses you'll have to climb over.

6. I may give you the shirt off my back, but try to take it, and I can only spare half a buck worth of subsonic copper hollow-points.

5. Hey, bring all the barter goods you want - I love to haggle. A roll of TP will get you past the dogs.

4. Be sure to bring some good boots, cuz you'll be up to your ankles in horse crap earning your keep.

3. Fine by me. I hear people taste like chicken.

2. Make sure you come early - the first five help me shoot the next fifty.

#1 is a tie:

1. "Don't do that, Mommy will just shoot you and make Daddy bury you in the backyard." (Are my kids great or what?)

1. "What, you thought I was gonna bunker down somewhere people can find me?" (Note found in my empty house)

So, is the only purpose of a year's supply to prepare for the apocalypse? I don't seem to have heard that as the stated reason for having one when I listen to GC or read about it in LDS.org.

Aren't there other reasons to have have one or is it just so shooting people when the law isn't around is then legitimate? Sounds like the water-wars in rural Utah prior to the Great Depression.

There already is a plan available for urban dwellers within the Church [ward] boundaries. That should be th Block Captain concept. Contact the Bishop of the ward you live and get involved that way. Head Ask the Bishop if you can head up and organize the ward into block units with Block captains for each. Give each Block Captain instructions what to do in case of a dire emergency and instruct each ward member on what to do in case of an emergency. Ward Members may not respond to your effort to get them organized unless you have the support of the Bishop in this effort. Your efforts will help save life's in the event of an emergency. First, Get yourself organized; Second, contact the Bishop and get the ward organized using the Master Plan the Church has put out; Third, Make up a Block Captain Booklet describing the duties of each Block Captain (in an emergency they'll need it to refer to) Fourth; Personally visit each ward boundary family and tell them what to do incase of an emergency (expect some to laugh at you, but did 't they laugh at Noah) Fifth; periodically go back to the ward block captains and instruct them what to do incase of an emergency. Encourage each ward boundary family to get personally prepared. Sixth; Give each family a list of items they need to have to be prepared. There is more to a good detailed Plan, ask me. Gar

Or, you can point them to my "wife's" blog:

Yes...important to listen to the Spirit when it tell you too leave the area.

What will be surprising is to see how many Saints will survive after a change to the California landscape...;)

Late edit: what is important, is not food storage for those who dwell in this area, whether or not you are attune to the Spirit.

A few random comments:

* Of course, that blog and top 10 list are for humor purposes only. Of course the spirit should dictate actions in a horrible scenario.

* I've lived in six different wards, and only heard the words 'block captain' in one of them, and they weren't talking about disaster preparadness. Most wards have some sort of emergency plan, often something copied from the cold-war era of the '50's with a 3 year old outdated phone tree tossed in for good measure. Very insufficient. I personally favor a one page flowchart for every ward family. Are you in danger? If not, is your family in danger? If not, is your house in danger? If not, is your neighborhood in danger? If not, report to church for assignments. That simple plan, coupled maybe with a little CERT training, is far superior than any emergency plan I've ever seen in the church.

* No Ogre, of course the only purpose of a year's supply is not to prepare for the apocalypse. We both listen to the same Gen Conferences. I've used food storage during a long bout of unemployment. When our neighborhood got snowed in for a few days, we were able to help keep the neighbor's baby in powdered milk and diapers. I've noticed that melodrama can often have a bigger grip on people's minds than boring old "we ate rice every night for the month I was laid off", it sure does on me. There's a recent resurgent interest in societal collapse-ish and end-times-ish scenarios. Not just Hemi's "California earthquakes are a-coming" stuff, but also folks reacting (occasionally overreacting) to the new administration, NK and Iran's nuke program, increased understanding of EMP and how such weapons might fall into terrorist hands, a more deadly swine flu strain coming back - stuff like that.

I personally get a kick out of thinking about my preps in terms of how to handle a zombie uprising. Of course, I don't believe in zombies, but a lot of the preparations one makes are similar. Ability to safely live for a time with limited ability to travel, random bunches of people forced to deal with a disaster together, overwhelmed or ineffective govt 1st responder resources, the breakdown of social order, empty or inaccessible grocery store shelves, lawlesness, etc. Zombies and the apocalypse and Cali sliding into the sea make those things sort of permanent. The stuff we're likely to encounter in the next 5 years indicate these will be (hopefully) temporary. Personal direction from the Spirit is certainly just as appropriate when the hoardes of undead are clawing for your brains, as it is if your neighbor got laid off too, and his kids are hungry too.

LM

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon