Isn't location an important part of prepardeness?

ultprep

Well preparedness does not necessarily mean to prepare against the biggest disasters or largest civil unrest imaginable.

There are lots of little disasters that are much more likely to happen that we should be ready for.

If you live in an apartment building someone else in your building may love to light hundreds of candles in there apartment. One day the cat dumps one over and you have only minutes to run out with whatever you have. I saw this happen in Buchanan Michigan. It would be good to have a 72 hour kit in the closet by the front door.

I was out in the desert and a friend was rock climbing and she fell. She was bloodied up a bit but no broken bones. A first aid kit would have been good but I was not prepared that time.

I was in a motorcycle accident when i was young and I could not work for 2 months. Two months food in the house would have been a very good thing at the time.

I was laid off work once without being prepared. Had no idea that would happen.

These are the kinds of things that are more important to prepare for.

So how does location effect preparing for these smaller disasters?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing you could do is try to contact the local office for community disaster or the CERT organization. I had your same concerns and contacted the office in my community. I took CERT training and was able to develop a unique procedure for my living area that increases the probablity of saving lives help save lives in the event of a major disaster or help releive the suffering of thos einvolved in a minor disaster. You sound concerned if you get involved you maight just be the one to help save a life. Gar

So how does location effect preparing for these smaller disasters?

I consider one factor in how small or large a disaster is, to be how far away help is. If life is running along normally, a cell phone and cash have made up for just about every disaster we've encountered while away from home. Because food, shelter, and first responders are as close as the situation warrants.

I have not read all of this, but one of the problems is the Church... you cant really live too far from the church and here all churches are in town town areas. Me and my DH ahve been thinking for may years to move further in the country, but then we can not attend Church... for us even one hour driving would be ok... but if gasoline gets expencive... maybe have to buy a horse...:D

And for youth there is the seminary... the morgon seminary is much better in Church, than alone at home. We are so few here. I really hope that soon there will be an internett congrigation for those who are willing to move in bushes. The kind you need to sighn up for so they can keep track on how often you are there. And those in Primary could have someone making primary lessons for them on line and reliefsociety on line and priesthood on line.. :D

Again, let me add something even more greater than just food/water storage prepareness here, when nature decide to change it course, you will need to be attune to the Spirit when it begins to prompt you in either leaving the area or ensure your household is ready for what’s coming. This means, strict obedience and following the 'will' of the Godhead at all times.

[Humor] For some, you may not need your food/water storage but a boat to wade through the ocean or new beach front property. For others, you may need a cellar to protect you. from the whirlwinds. For others, you may need an RV to move on into another area. ^_^ Now, you can disregard anything I stated, if you are privy to the ‘four angels’ mentioned in D&C section 77 and John the beloved, that is a different story. :lol:

I have not read all of this, but one of the problems is the Church... you cant really live too far from the church and here all churches are in town town areas. Me and my DH ahve been thinking for may years to move further in the country, but then we can not attend Church... for us even one hour driving would be ok... but if gasoline gets expencive... maybe have to buy a horse...:D

And for youth there is the seminary... the morgon seminary is much better in Church, than alone at home. We are so few here. I really hope that soon there will be an internett congrigation for those who are willing to move in bushes. The kind you need to sighn up for so they can keep track on how often you are there. And those in Primary could have someone making primary lessons for them on line and reliefsociety on line and priesthood on line.. :D

Just try your best to have a good back up supply of water, food and medical supplies like meds and so forth, so if you need to "hoof it" on your own you'll be able to "walk the distance" and “endure the time" Regards, Gar