MTC changes missionary drop-off procedures

KeithLBrown

No more long goodbyes.

Concerns over the spread of swine flu have prompted The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to accelerate its plans to permanently allow only curbside drop-off of new missionaries at the Provo Missionary Training Center.

Parents and families taking new missionaries to the MTC will have to say goodbye to their sons or daughters in the parking lot from now on, the church announced Monday.

With this change, only missionaries will be allowed inside MTC buildings. Parents and families had traditionally accompanied their missionary children into the center for a brief orientation before parting. Precautions to prevent possible spread of the H1N1 virus accelerated the church's plans to allow only curbside drop-off at the Provo MTC. All other church missionary training centers around the world already operate that way.

In addition, parents of missionaries entering the center are being asked to pay particular attention to the physical condition of their sons and daughters and to delay their arrival at the center if they show any signs of illness.

Missionaries and staff at the center also will be washing their hands more frequently, avoiding handshakes and hugging, and not playing basketball for the time being, said Elder Richard G. Hinckley, executive director of the LDS Church Missionary Department.

To read the complete story go to: MTC changes missionary drop-off procedures.

I don't know. Seems a bit extreme to me. But I suppose since missionaries are coming from all over they are on the side of caution.

When I served we were dropped off on the street in front of the Mission Home in SLC.

Maybe if we stop coddling the missionaries less will come home because "It's too hard".

Say all your goodbyes at home and then get on your way. Momma won't be there to tuck you in, do your laundry and bandage every boo boo.

Ben Raines

When I served we were dropped off on the street in front of the Mission Home in SLC.

Maybe if we stop coddling the missionaries less will come home because "It's too hard".

Say all your goodbyes at home and then get on your way. Momma won't be there to tuck you in, do your laundry and bandage every boo boo.

Ben Raines

I can understand this position, but I bet that when no one is looking even a tough guy will shed a few tears when their son or daughter is dropped off for their mission training!

Ben Raines

A lot of missionaries that come home early are automatically assumed to have been "too weak" or something along those lines to cope with standard missionary work. Fortunately this is not always the case, there are many factors to consider. I don't like the attitude a lot of people assume towards those who returned early without knowing the facts, and I usually have rather a lot to say to these people. I'm not saying this is the case with you, I'm just pointing out it's not always a case of just being "too hard" to handle.

Interesting when a general statement is taken as a specific statement. I did not say most, many or all. I was only referring to those who it applies to. I served and several of my friends did, way back in the day. One had to come home due to health. Nothing ever said. My son and daughter served. Daughter came home two months early due to health concerns.

My comments were only to those who come home due to "It is too hard" not any others.

As I sat on High Council and watched boy after boy come home "cause it was too hard". MTC too hard, two weeks in the field too hard. Sure others came home for unresolved issues, health problems, etc. I am only referring to those who come home "cuase it is too hard".

Oh wait this was about dropping off at MTC. A more efficient use of MTC staff time I am sure.

Ben Raines

Interesting when a general statement is taken as a specific statement. I did not say most, many or all. I was only referring to those who it applies to. I served and several of my friends did, way back in the day. One had to come home due to health. Nothing ever said. My son and daughter served. Daughter came home two months early due to health concerns.

My comments were only to those who come home due to "It is too hard" not any others.

As I sat on High Council and watched boy after boy come home "cause it was too hard". MTC too hard, two weeks in the field too hard. Sure others came home for unresolved issues, health problems, etc. I am only referring to those who come home "cuase it is too hard".

Oh wait this was about dropping off at MTC. A more efficient use of MTC staff time I am sure.

Ben Raines

As I said, I wasn't saying you held this opinion, however a lot of people subconsciously do and those are the ones I was referring to. I was sitting in an institute class once and the teacher made a passing statement about an ex boyfriend of his daughter, saying "I was shocked at what she bought home, he had come home early from his mission etc." and I felt like saying "wait, stop right there! What is the issue with coming home early from a mission? That is between the Lord and the missionary, NOT any other member of the church". Yet interesting coming home early from a mission is generally seen with distaste in the church, even officially, hence my response. A lot of church positions have to be held by missionaries that have "returned honourably".

As for MTC missionaries being restricted in handshaking... wow, that's half the training out the window ;)

Edited by Mahone

As for MTC missionaries being restricted in handshaking... wow, that's half the training out the window ;)

When they resume that part, think someone could explain to the guys that crushing a female hand while shaking it is not always well received? (sort-of smile)

Thanks Mahone for clarifying. I personally would rather have a missionary who doesn't want to be out serving come home and not harm the mission of those who do and as stated do not look down on them. I think it takes more courage to come home if it is not for you than to stay out and do harm to others missions.

Sorry for sidetracking this thread.

My original post stands in that I think it is a good thing that they are dropped off and perhaps it will minimize the drama in sending a missionary off.

Ben Raines

Ben Raines

I suspect some of the field work and living conditions in far away lands could exascerbate many unresolved issues and health problems, but are these young missionaries fully briefed in terms of what they are gettting into?