2nd Counselor to the Bishop

ViolinGirl

A Bishop's 2nd counselor is the Bishop's 2nd 'right hand man', whose duties include doing whichever Bishop's responsibilities are delegated to him. The Bishop and his counselors form a bishopric, and their basic job is to minister to ward members in love, helping "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man".

One is called by having a bishop recommend him, the stake president and high council approve him, the ward members sustain him, and he's set apart by someone in the Stake presidency.

Does this help?

LM

Then he is released from his calling. The calling does not have a set time. It's for whatever time that he is needed. Whether it be a few months or several years.

A Bishop's 2nd counselor is the Bishop's 2nd 'right hand man'. . .

Well, if you wanna get nit-picky, he's more of a left-hand man. :D

(Violingirl: Silly pun on my part. During Sunday services, the Bishop sits up front with his two counselors--traditionally, the first counselor will be on his right and the second counselor will be on his left.)

Having served as both a Second Counselor and a First Counselor in a Bishopric I can tell you that there is no set amount of time that a person called to serve in either position will remain in that position. Through Divine inspiration and guidance, the Stake Presidency will know when the time has come to release the current Bishop and call a new one to serve. When the Bishop is released, his counselors are also released. Now, it is possible that one or both counselors could be called to serve in the new Bishopric, or neither of them may be called. I served in two consecutive Bishoprics and now serve a the High Priest Group Leader after being released.

If someone is called to a position in the Church and have to move away due to a work transfer, military obligations, etc., then he is released from that position and a new person is called.

I hope this helps.

Yes, it does help. I am not an LDS member, but a friend of mine is and he's a 2nd Counselor. I've been trying to learn as much as I can about his faith and everyone here has been great!

Skippy, there is a part of me that seems to have an unquenchable need to understand the LDS church. I don't quite know why that is because I am an active member in an independent church, but I continue to be curious.

Edited by ViolinGirl

Yes, it does help. I am not an LDS member, but a friend of mine is and he's a 2nd Counselor. I've been trying to learn as much as I can about his faith and everyone here has been great!

Skippy, there is a part of me that seems to have an unquenchable need to understand the LDS church. I don't quite know why that is because I am an active member in an independent church, but I continue to be curious.

This helps. Sometimes knowing the motivations behind a question can help us answer it better.

I think the prior posts have probably answered your question though.

BTW, let me add that no one "campaigns" for such a position and it isn't up for an "election".

When callings are extended in the Church, it is done by the power and inspiration of God. The Bishop prayed to know that this person was the person for the job at this time. The calling is extended and the person called has the opportunity to accept that calling.

Hope this helps some!

Edited by skippy740

Knowing J. Golden, he was likely joking when he said that.

Or as small as the Church was back then, maybe those faithful and reliable enough to be called on were concentrated in certain families.

Of course, with JGK (great man, and I wish I'd been around in his time), he very well may have been joking. Can be kind of hard to tell with him. ;)

The Second Counselor is also the contact person for the Primary President, in my ward at least.

The Bishop is the President of the Priest's Quorum.

The 1st Counselor is the contact for the Teacher's Quorum.

The 2nd Counselor is the contact for the Deacon's Quorum (as well as Primary).

Lots for them to do.