1 out of every 6........

bytor2112

"• Unemployment insurance. One-fourth of the extra spending covers jobless benefits, a program started in the Depression. The stimulus law, passed in February, increased benefits.

• Social Security. The bad economy has prompted a 10%-15% jump in early retirements, the program's actuary says. A 5.8% increase took effect January 1. Bottom line: $55 billion in new costs.

• Food stamps. Enrollment hit a record 33.2 million people in March, up 5.2 million from last year. The stimulus law boosted the size of the benefit. Average March benefit: $114 per person. "

I wonder were is the accountability of those who are accepting federal TARP, aid, or loans?

Can you imagine what the nation would be like right now without these programs? A lot more people would be living in their cars I'm sure.

or maybe a lot more people would live within their means, stop having out of wedlock children and study a bit more diligently in school.

or maybe a lot more people would live within their means, stop having out of wedlock children and study a bit more diligently in school.

Even if you live within your means if you don't have a job you don't have any money. You can be homeless with born in wedlock children (heck, you can be homeless with BIC children). You can be suddenly very poor if you have a PhD. It's for times like these that the safety nets were designed.

Even if you live within your means if you don't have a job you don't have any money. You can be homeless with born in wedlock children (heck, you can be homeless with BIC children). You can be suddenly very poor if you have a PhD. It's for times like these that the safety nets were designed.

Yes, but that doesn't negate the fact that maybe if more people were held responsible for their actions, they might make the changes that I mentioned.

A few months ago, the LA Times had an article about married couples deciding to put off having more children or even starting a family because of the economy. Most people now who have been affected by this economy were living within their means their whole lives, and even had money in savings. This includes those with advanced college degrees who graduated with the highest honors in their class.

A few months ago, the LA Times had an article about married couples deciding to put off having more children or even starting a family because of the economy. Most people now who have been affected by this economy were living within their means their whole lives, and even had money in savings. This includes those with advanced college degrees who graduated with the highest honors in their class.

The LA Times also recently published a piece on the fun of being unemployed.....go figure.

n all, government spending on benefits will top $2 trillion in 2009 — an average of $17,000 provided to each U.S. household, federal data show. Benefits rose at a 19% annual rate in the first quarter compared to the last three months of 2008.

The recession caused about half of the increase, according to the report. Unemployment insurance nearly tripled in the past year. The other half is the result of policies enacted during President George W. Bush's first term.

Following the 2001 recession — when costs normally decline — social spending soared to pay for the Medicare drug benefit, expanded health care for children and greater use of food stamps.

Hmm....$17k per household?? I don't think I have seen a penny of that....have you? And what's this.....a compliment for GW from USA today? Quote: "The other half is the result of policies enacted during President George W. Bush's first term.

Following the 2001 recession — when costs normally decline — social spending soared to pay for the Medicare drug benefit, expanded health care for children and greater use of food stamps."

Well.....I guess that depends on who reads it. Bush was a big spending liberal too.

I don't think this is that big a deal. We are living in a recession. These programs were designed for when things like this happens. People have lost jobs all over the country and even with the economic-environment improving, new jobs are not magically appearing. People want the government to do something because it is obviously capable of doing more. Some people want the government to do something because they feel the entire problem was caused by the government.

Do I think the recession was caused by the government? Partly. Do I think the government is making it worse? Yes. Do I think the government has to do more? Yes. Do I think the government is screwing-up because they are spending too much money on the capitalism that is supposed to be so superior? Yes.

I think capitalism is a failure. I think our economic situation will be worse in two-three years because no-one is willing to take risks that will actually do something instead of propping up a failed do-nothing-we-are-fine status-quo.

Edited by the Ogre

Sometimes bad things happen to hard working honest people; And a lot of those times its because of filthy rich greedy power grab thieves at the top of the money tree. I know; i,ve had it happen to me; Thank God for programs that help the destitute and truely needfull honest people whom desperately need help; are there those whom abuse the system? of course. but that should not negate help for those whom truely are good honest families in trouble thru no fault of there own.:)

Talisyn, thank you so much for your levelheaded commentary. You saved me the trouble and embarrassment of telling Bytor to kiss my lily white patootie. I also admire your excellent deployment of a lovely prepositional phrase at the end. :D

Sometimes bad things happen to hard working honest people; And a lot of those times its because of filthy rich greedy power grab thieves at the top of the money tree. I know; i,ve had it happen to me; Thank God for programs that help the destitute and truely needfull honest people whom desperately need help; are there those whom abuse the system? of course. but that should not negate help for those whom truely are good honest families in trouble thru no fault of there own.:)

And that is the job of the government because...???

Dude, Filipinos don't have welfare system why? Because they have families. That's what they're THERE for. Don't mess with the Zohan unless you can handle all of Zohan's brothers and multitudes of cousins... And those that don't have families? They end up on the steps of the Catholic church - catholic or not. That's what they're THERE for as well.

You NEVER want to let an institution handle distribution of welfare whose job is secured by VOTE. Because, eventually, people will realize that hey, I can VOTE myself free stuff! Cool!

Take the case of Sarah Jessica Parker for instance. She actually went public saying she has relatives on welfare that is sooo poor because the government does not do enough to help them... Uh, girl, you got millions... what are your relatives doing on welfare? Ahh, it's not her problem - it's the government's. Sheesh.

Edited by anatess

When a boat sinks, you would be surprised how resourceful some can become. Poverty does not come from bad economic conditions. It comes from lack of opportunity, it comes from government corruption and inequality, it comes from lack of resources and infective laws and socio-economic models. Last I check none would apply to the US. Poverty in the US has other roots. It is just not politically correct to criticize poor people.

During the Depression things were hard but people survived. It was a great lesson that this generation forgot.

funny I have a friend who was anti welfare programmes until his comfortable lifestyle went belly up and he ended up living in a car for 2 years his attitude has changed drastically

fact is we don't have families like there used to be - my Dad is unusual having 9 grandchildren.

-Charley

Talisyn, thank you so much for your levelheaded commentary. You saved me the trouble and embarrassment of telling Bytor to kiss my lily white patootie. I also admire your excellent deployment of a lovely prepositional phrase at the end. :D

I think you just did......that's okay. Typical liberal knee jerk reaction to any call for responsible behavior or any suggestion that perhaps bad economic times might awaken people to the necessity of needed changes.....and I think the church's suggestions as well.

You may note, that I did not say that safety net programs aren't needed or helpful to those in need.

SO Mighty Nancy......this is for you Posted Image

Edited by bytor2112

Sometimes bad things happen to hard working honest people

Thanks for stating the obvious

And a lot of those times its because of filthy rich greedy power grab thieves at the top of the money tree.

and a lot of times it's because people are lazy, use drugs and alcohol, have low moral standards and have children out of wedlock and break the law and some people are just whiners and like to blame the successful for their misfortune......as evidenced by your post.

I know; i,ve had it happen to me

Thank God for programs that help the destitute and truely needfull honest people whom desperately need help; are there those whom abuse the system? of course. but that should not negate help for those whom truely are good honest families in trouble thru no fault of there own.:)

No disagreement here. Safety nets are great. I personally wish that the programs we have were more effective and actually helped to lift people out rather than just keeping them afloat....barely. That's where effective government (another thread perhaps) could play a role....not bigger out of control Barack Obama , George Bush government. I would so much rather give meaningful help to those in need than spend billions on failing corporations.....like your hero Obama has chosen to do.

This was what inspired the invitation to smooch my backside. Right now, unemployment benefits are keeping my family afloat. None of your slurs apply to us, yet we are to blame for your (and my!) tax burden?

I'm not opposed to people taking the current financial meltdown as a wakeup call. I'm not opposed to personal responsibility. I'm just opposed to generalized insults. I also don't think this "crisis" is caused by big-spending babymamas without diplomas. ;)

Mightynancy, I'm not sure unemployment is lumped in with welfare. To me unemployment is not unlike social security in that it is your EARNED dollar being set aside ,involuntarily I might add, for the purpose you have described. If you don't work for it you don't get it. Good on you for working so that its there for you.

The welfare I have a problem with is the kind in which NOTHING is required of the recipient. No accountability and zero incentive to do for themselves.

The church welfare system is the standard that all others should be judged by. I am sure some bishops run them a bit differently than others but the in general it is a last resort after having done all YOU can do and it is not a perpetual handout you must be working hard to better your situation. Those with other intentions need not apply.

Bytor is correct in that lack of morality and personal responsibility are exactly what has brought us to this point.