What C.S. Lewis thought about Mormons

KeithLBrown

C.S. Lewis was not LDS. He may, in fact, not have even liked The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

But Mormons love C. S. Lewis.

Authors Marianna Richardson and Christine Thackeray looked at the famous Christian apologist in their book "C.S. Lewis: Latter-day Truths in Narnia." They wrote about the letters Lewis sent to many of his readers.

"(T)here is no record that Lewis had any contact with the Church but he did correspond regularly with a woman who lived in Salt Lake City," the authors write.

You can read the rest of the story by going to: What C.S. Lewis thought about Mormons

I do however strongly object to the tyrannic and unscriptural insolence of anything that calls itself a Church and makes teetotalism a condition of membership.

Well, I can easily forgive Mr. Lewis his harsh judgement based on insufficient information. We love his Narnia books. I've read all of them to my kids. Especially his last book, with it's 'false Aslan' character, final battle of good vs. evil, and how Aslan performed his final judgement of souls, helped me gain a much more charitable understanding of my non-LDS Christian cousins.

I never would have thought of Eustace and his family as LDS, until this article suggested it. It should be noted that Eustace started out as a world-class jerk, but had a very spiritual-driven change of heart and became a solid good guy.

LM

I've always loved Lewis' books - especially the interplanetary novels and "The Great Divorce". I find it interesting how many LDS people seem to like Lewis: I can imagine "Surprised By Joy", especially his opinion of what went on at Wyvern College (Malvern College in real life) must raise a few Mormon eyebrows!

CS Lewis went through a religious journey - Pilgrims Regress is fascinating reading and chronicles his early journey through various philosophies. He had a sense of humour was open and never afraid to change his mind. Also from an LDS point of view Perelandra is fascinating the idea of a world without a fall. Umm could go on lol

I think I quote him too much lol

-Charley

I didn't join the church to impress celebrities. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of Mormons and that goes especially for celebtiries. (aka Hollywood Trash).

LOL - I don't think that was quite the purpose of this post. The point is that C.S. Lewis was a non-LDS writer whom many Mormons, including some very high-up ones, tend to admire and quote. Aren't you just a little bit interested in what his opinions of Mormonism might have been? (My own belief is that he probably knew very little about the Church.)

Nope. What part of "I couldn't care less" didn't you understand:)

Hmmm...well I guess nobody could ever accuse you of overinquisitiveness. But for someone who puts all "celebrities" (and from the context I presume you mean "all famous people alive or dead") in the category of "Hollywood trash" that's not very surprising.

Edited by Jamie123

Have you turned on a TV or gone to the movies lately. Do you listen to the music young people are listening too. People that make a living by using sex as a comedy routine or think swearing is the best material for their career are trash to me. Look at the lifestyle's of these "celebrities". Have you found any that you would want to be a role model for your children. I haven't. I am not in the least bit inquisitive about them or their thoughts, especially about the Church.

For the past twenty- five years in the classroom I have seen the effect these "celebrities" have on our young people. I lay many of the ills of our society at their doorstep.

Edited by Churchmouse

Have you turned on a TV or gone to the movies lately. Do you listen to the music young people are listening too. People that make a living by using sex as a comedy routine or think swearing is the best material for their career are trash to me. Look at the lifestyle's of these "celebrities". Have you found any that you would want to be a role model for your children. I haven't. I am not in the least bit inquisitive about them or their thoughts, especially about the Church.

Could someone explain to me what this has to do with C.S. Lewis? The venerable and well-loved Christian author who died in 1963 in his sixties?

It's like the lady at the Ramada messed up booking the convention center, and the literary guild and the cranky old man convention end up sharing a room.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

For the past twenty- five years in the classroom I have seen the effect these "celebrities" have on our young people. I lay many of the ills of our society at their doorstep.

CS Lewis was an Oxford Don hardly Hollywood Trash, I think he would be a pretty good role model for my children...

-Charley

I know we're supposed to respect other posters on this forum, but this really takes the biscuit - on a par with blaming Mother Teresa of Calcutta for the rise of soccer violence, or Princess Diana for the graffiti that got sprayed on my car. If this is a competition for surreal humour, Churchmouse wins hands down! :rolleyes:

[P.S. Sorry that was a little uncharitable - I can kinda see where Churchmouse is coming from. It's the fact he thinks it's at all relevant to a discussion on C.S. Lewis that's funny.]

Edited by Jamie123

Have you turned on a TV or gone to the movies lately. Do you listen to the music young people are listening too.

This is what every older person has said for the past 110 years.

"Culture Club" icon Boy George was arrested for beating a male prostitute during services in December 2008.

In 1994, Kurt Cobain turned a shotgun on himself after a tumultuous life of depression and drug use.

in 1991, flamboyantly gay Freddy Mercury died after battling AIDS for 4 years. His final year, he had a party that included midgets carrying trays of cocaine on their heads and numerous sex acts.

In 1985, heroic and manly frontman Rock Hudson died of AIDS, touching off revelations that he was a frequenter of male bathhouses.

In 1982, John Belushi, Funnyman and SNL frontman, died from overdose. John Belushi was a notorious drug user and partier.

In 1980, John Lennon, a notorious drug user and well-known advocate of such songs as 'Imagine', which posits a lack of heaven, Hell and God, was shot by a crazed fan.

In 1970, Janis Joplin - Famed for such songs as 'Oh Lord, won't you buy me, a mercedes benz' died of drug overdose in her hard partying lifestyle.

In 1962, Marilyn Monroe who starred in such dramas as the cross dressing 'Some like it hot', died of drug overdose. This sex symbol was well known for her well-publicized affair with President John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

In 1958, Jerry Lee Lewis, the singer of such songs as 'Great Balls of Fire', married his underage cousin.

In 1952, Charlie Chaplin, a notorious womanizer, was branded a communist and his American entry permit revoked.

In 1945, the top actress was Joan Crawford - Well known for her affairs with Clark Gable and her notorious and horrendous acts of child abuse.

In 1933, Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle died of syphilis he contracted with a prostitute - Who died while servicing Roscoe.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Hollywood, fame and fortune has never mixed with morality in the entire history of TV and cinema. To say that young people -today- are faced with a dearth of role models in our entertainment is to ignore men like John Wayne, who would get drunk and wave guns around. It is to ignore that Humphrey Bogart was a hard-drinking divorcee who was estranged from his father Belmont.

Fame, fortune and adulation drives many a man to immorality. It's not just the young people who face this, but your generation and your parents generation and their parents generation and more.

This is what every older person has said for the past 110 years.

"Culture Club" icon Boy George was arrested for beating a male prostitute during services in December 2008.

In 1994, Kurt Cobain turned a shotgun on himself after a tumultuous life of depression and drug use.

in 1991, flamboyantly gay Freddy Mercury died after battling AIDS for 4 years. His final year, he had a party that included midgets carrying trays of cocaine on their heads and numerous sex acts.

In 1985, heroic and manly frontman Rock Hudson died of AIDS, touching off revelations that he was a frequenter of male bathhouses.

In 1982, John Belushi, Funnyman and SNL frontman, died from overdose. John Belushi was a notorious drug user and partier.

In 1980, John Lennon, a notorious drug user and well-known advocate of such songs as 'Imagine', which posits a lack of heaven, Hell and God, was shot by a crazed fan.

In 1970, Janis Joplin - Famed for such songs as 'Oh Lord, won't you buy me, a mercedes benz' died of drug overdose in her hard partying lifestyle.

In 1962, Marilyn Monroe who starred in such dramas as the cross dressing 'Some like it hot', died of drug overdose. This sex symbol was well known for her well-publicized affair with President John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

In 1958, Jerry Lee Lewis, the singer of such songs as 'Great Balls of Fire', married his underage cousin.

In 1952, Charlie Chaplin, a notorious womanizer, was branded a communist and his American entry permit revoked.

In 1945, the top actress was Joan Crawford - Well known for her affairs with Clark Gable and her notorious and horrendous acts of child abuse.

In 1933, Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle died of syphilis he contracted with a prostitute - Who died while servicing Roscoe.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Hollywood, fame and fortune has never mixed with morality in the entire history of TV and cinema. To say that young people -today- are faced with a dearth of role models in our entertainment is to ignore men like John Wayne, who would get drunk and wave guns around. It is to ignore that Humphrey Bogart was a hard-drinking divorcee who was estranged from his father Belmont.

Fame, fortune and adulation drives many a man to immorality. It's not just the young people who face this, but your generation and your parents generation and their parents generation and more.

The parts they play may be endearing, but their real lives are disgusting. If your neighbors acted like this you wouldn't want them near your children (or spouse).

John Carradine just died. Now stories of incest are coming from the family.

Ron Howard (Opie Taylor) is now a director. All of his filmes are rated R.

Melissa Gilbert (Laura Ingels) just wrote an autobiography. She admits to being an alcoholic and a whore.

And it goes on and on and on. Yet, people just love to read about these people. What a miserable life that must be.

Have to disagree with you funkytown, The things that are being pushed today are far more dangerous that in the past. Songs about beach parties in the 60's are a bit different than Rap music about shooting police officers and gang raping women.

Edited by Churchmouse

Have to disagree with you funkytown, The things that are being pushed today are far more dangerous that in the past. Songs about beach parties in the 60's are a bit different than Rap music about shooting police officers and gang raping women.

In turn, I think you're whitewashing the past, Churchmouse. "Copperhead Road" by Steve Earl is about a police murdering drug cultivator, "Mr. Tambourine Man" is about a drug pusher and Gone With the Wind glorified Rhett raping Scarlett, who said "I needed that."

None of these are 'Hey, gang! Let's have a fun beach party.'

If you'd like, I can point out several more sources. Is it the language you object to? It's okay to talk about murder or glorify sexual assault as long as you don't have a potty mouth talking about it?