LDS TV Series in the Works

KeithLBrown

Creators of a new faith-based television drama plan to begin filming in Heber City in late summer, and market the show worldwide to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The show, "This Is the Place," will center on a heavily LDS neighborhood in Colorado, and the challenges they face in meeting the demands of their faith, families, workplaces and communities.

The action will be viewed through the eyes of a non-LDS character, a newly divorced chain smoker who is trying to understand the people in his new neighborhood.

"We got tired of seeing how the LDS were portrayed in shows like 'Big Love,' 'House' and 'Boston Legal,' " said Todd Bay, executive producer, Heber City resident and owner of Park City's Bay Entertainment & Media. "We were tired of non-LDS telling LDS stories. We have taken the position that if we don't tell our stories, someone else will, and they're not going to get it right."

You can read the rest of the story by going to: LDS TV Series in the Works

Edited by KeithLBrown

Tired of non-LDS telling the LDS story, but they're putting in in the point-of-view of a non-LDS person?

Well it does give them the maximum amount of cultural clashes and misunderstandings for comedic/dramatic moments, it also provides a ready made reason to explain the culture. Of course they could have went the other route and put a Mormon in a non-LDS culture and that would provide misunderstandings and cultural explanations aplenty (ideally they'll want some non-LDS tuning in or it doesn't matter about telling to story right).

Unfortunately, I don't think the show will be widely popular enough to last very long.

I think it depends on the writing more than the premise. I've heard mention of a Muslim Sitcom in Canada, don't know how well its doing but it seems as likely a premise for a hit as an LDS small town.

Tired of non-LDS telling the LDS story, but they're putting in in the point-of-view of a non-LDS person?

Unfortunately, I don't think the show will be widely popular enough to last very long.

Though the article I believe said they are in the process of discussing with local LDS tv stations.

Though the article I believe said they are in the process of discussing with local LDS tv stations.

Well that's the thing. I think it'll be popular in Utah, Idaho, and much of Arizona, but not many other place will have local LDS TV stations or enough of an interested populace to keep it on the air. And honestly, I think I'd be bored watching a show about Mormons.

If they can get this off the ground, wonder how hard it would be to get the DVD's of it?

I sure would be interested in buying them.

I buy up just about every LDS centered DVD I can get my hands on.

Bro. Rudick

Edited by JohnnyRudick

Or people will figure out that beyond our faith and the well documented idiosyncrasies, we are just regular people and the novelty will wear off. Hollywood (I mean the networks) is not interested in "normal" people. They salivate at the prospect of scandal, aberration, abnormal or otherwise deviant stuff, with a sprinkle of sex for seasoning. I think that if it does not have "shock value" it may not last on the networks.

I think in 5 years or so we'll (LDS writers/producers) have built in enough experience and cinematographic expertise to produce broad appeal/mass market movies and series. We have to move beyond LDS/Utah centered themes and into LA or Texas experience of LDS families/people.

Or people will figure out that beyond our faith and the well documented idiosyncrasies, we are just regular people and the novelty will wear off. Hollywood (I mean the networks) is not interested in "normal" people. They salivate at the prospect of scandal, aberration, abnormal or otherwise deviant stuff, with a sprinkle of sex for seasoning. I think that if it does not have "shock value" it may not last on the networks.

I think in 5 years or so we'll (LDS writers/producers) have built in enough experience and cinematographic expertise to produce broad appeal/mass market movies and series. We have to move beyond LDS/Utah centered themes and into LA or Texas experience of LDS families/people.

We,:o like in Brigham City.

LDS was not the theme,

Yet it was an enjoyable mystery program.

I really would like more stories like that around that quality

Put out by LDS people would be nice,