40-Day Reading Challenge

KeithLBrown

Has anyone formulated this sort of challenge for the Old and New Testaments?

I'd love to do those after this challenge.

Would be interesting to try and figure that out.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Pam! Only three more days to go and then. . . .let the challenge begin!!

hahaha I got to thinking...Hopefully we won't be so busy reading we won't have time for any discussion about what we read. :lol:

Ruthie..in just using the number of chapters in the OT...if we read just over 7 chapters a day it would take 120 days. Haven't figured in the NT yet.

Again with just the OT...to finish in 40 days we would have to read 23.225 chapters a day. I couldn't do that.

Ruthie..in just using the number of chapters in the OT...if we read just over 7 chapters a day it would take 120 days. Haven't figured in the NT yet.

Again with just the OT...to finish in 40 days we would have to read 23.225 chapters a day. I couldn't do that.

Not surprised, but I was thinking if we did something similar, like when in October one year we had the Book of Mormon challenge to finish it before the end of the year, it'd be doable. I was not expecting the time frame to remain the same.

Well, the New Testament in 40 days could be done (260 chapters yields 6.5 chapters/day, which for me is entirely doable, being just a little more than what we're reading in the Book of Mormon daily for the challenge, and I've done the BoM in 40 days before).

The OT is 929 chapters. My plan for next year is to do that over the course of 365 days.

I could probably do Psalms in 1-2 days. Most of those are just a few verses. But you get into Isaiah and such and some of that can be pretty heavy reading.

In 2008 I made a decision that for the remainder of my days I would read the entire canon of Scripture at least once a year. That is the Bible, the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price at least once each in their entirety. Thus far this year, I have completed reading Psalms and Proverbs in the Old Testament as well as Genesis through Judges. I am currently reading Ruth. Thus far in the New Testament I have read all of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, and half of John. My goal is to be finished reading the New Testament before the start of October General Conference and the rest of the Old Testament by midnight on 31 December. To date, I have read the Bible in its entirety 7 times.

I like the idea of a similar challenge with reading the Bible and maybe it is something that we can set up after the current challenge is over. Understandably, reading the Bible in its entirety does take considerable more time, so a different time schedule and chart would have to be worked out. However, I am a witness that it can most definitely be done within a year time frame. If anyone comes up with a good schedule to follow to make the reading of the entire Bible doable for everyone. please let me know. I am definitely in on it. Great ideal!

With that being said, I just wanted to remind everyone that starting on 1 July 2009, that is 3 days from now, we will begin reading the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price for 40 consecutive days. Everyone is invited to participate and to share some of their thoughts, insights, and lessons learned as they read each of these blessed portions of Scripture. Pam has already set up a special forum for all participants to use for sharing their study notes. Thanks again Pam! At the conclusion of this reading I will have read the Book of Mormon 8 times, and the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price 9 times. The beauty of it all is that the Scriptures never grow old.

It is my sincere prayer that this will not just be a race to the finish, but that once we have crossed the finishing line, we will be inspired to read the Scriptures again and again. Take care and God bless.

Helaman 5:12

Edited by KeithLBrown

I also hope that people will post their thoughts on their reading as well. What one might get out of the reading another may not pick up on. I learn so much from the posters here on this site.

I'm already planning to do the Old Testament next year, starting January 1 (I do like to focus on whichever Standard Work is the Gospel Doctrine course), plus of course keep cycling through the Book of Mormon. I'm thinking the New Testament in 40 days at some point this year, if anyone else would like to join me (this will, of course, come AFTER the Triple in 40 days challenge).

Keith, I'm sure around here somewhere, I can find several "Bible in a year" plans. Were you thinking reading the OT and NT concurrently or consecutively?

I did once actually manage the entire quad in a year, which was a big task for me (I really bog down around Leviticus and Numbers).

Edited by Seanette
adding paragraph

One year to read the OT would be doable for me. There are many books I have on my "want list" to read and that would surely free up some time for me to tackle those as well.

Pam, thanks for finding the one year reading plan for the Bible. I will take a look at that. I actually have a "One Year" KJV Bible that was my mother's that I have used in the past. This year I have not followed it so much as trying to keep up with each day's reading. Sometimes I read more and sometimes I read less. A lot of times, I find that the bulk of my reading is done on the weekends.

Seanette, I am all for your plan for reading the New Testament in 40 days after the current reading challenge. Count me in! As the Bible is a bigger undertaking in its reading, I think that it is probably best to read the Old Testament and New Testament separately instead of trying to read them both at the same time which is what I currently do. Reading both the Old and New Testaments at the same time could become overwhelming to some people. For me, the challenge of reading both at the same time is not so much because of the number of times I have read the Bible in its entirety. Anyway, I look forward to reading the New Testament in 40 days next.

I just want a chance next year to also take on some of the books I have been wanting to read for quite some time now. But count me in on anything you all decide.

Pam, I hear you. When it comes to bookstores, I am like a little kid in a candy store. I literally spend hours just looking at the different books and wishing that I could buy a lot of them, but my pockets always say I have only enough for a few of them. If you were to visit me, you would see that I have bookshelves full of books. There are some that are still in wrappers and a whole lot that I have yet to sit down and read, but yet I keep buying more. Uhm, is that considered compulsive spending? I wonder. . . Anywho, I too try to set aside some time to read some of the other books I have in my library. It is a challenge at times.

Seanette, I try not to worry too much about falling behind in my reading. I, like you, have found myself at times doing a reading marathon to try and catch up. I think the objective is to keep the goal in mind and to do our best to reach that goal. Some people have a tendency to give up once they start getting behind, but I always remind myself that "Quitters never win, and winners never quit!" Like I said before, my ultimate goal in this challenge is to help people take an interest in reading the Scriptures on a daily basis. If that is accomplished with the challenge that is will begin in a couple of days, then I am satisfied and happy.

Oh btw..does anyone know of a good study companion that can be purchased? Maybe at Deseret Book or something. I feel like if I'm going to do this I really would like to do it right this time and study it as well as read it.

I like "Unlocking the Book of Mormon". There's also "Unlocking the Doctrine and Covenants", by the same authors (I own it, haven't read it yet). I found both at my local DB.

I also like Seminary and Institute manuals as Scripture study helps. Those can be accessed online on the Church's website or can be purchased either in hard copy or as a CD-ROM collection (see your friendly distribution center or DB might have this too). The CD-ROM has the manuals in PDF format.

Edited by Seanette
adding info

Hey still not too late for anyone that wants to join us in the current reading challenge. We're only on the 2nd day and it's been interesting reading the responses that people have posted concerning what they have read.