What is going on in Iran?

Traveler

Traveler:

I've been reading your posts and find your messages to be insightful and sincere. I've been following the situation in Iran closely, and I believe I may have some answers to your questions.

1. Does our president hardly say a thing – why not call for international intervention or oversight – NOW!!

As much as he may want to give them a piece of his mind, the president is doing the right thing by remaining relatively neutral. The peace-loving protesters are in grave danger. The ruling government does not need any additional reasons to attack their own people. The the protesters themselves have said numerous times that they want us to keep out of their fight. I believe the president is being respectful of their wishes.

2. Why do we not hear outrage from government leaders throughout the world?

Please see my response to number 1.

3. Why are religious leader so quiet? Why don’t Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, and Buddhist (even LDS) leaders publicly denounce the violence in Iran?

I haven't been to any churches here in the U.S., so I can't say for certain if this is true or not. One of the things that I love most about the LDS church is that it doesn't (or isn't supposed to) get involved in politics. Again, the right thing to do for the Iranian people is to show support, not outrage.

4. Why do Muslim leaders watch with such silence? Where are the moderate Islamic clerics? Where are Egypt, Jordon, Turkey, and all the Arabic states that are so quick to criticize Israel for oppressing Muslim children to protect Israel’s interest? Are they really concerned about Muslim children or is it all just politics.

According to my sources, the silence has more to do with race relations than religious ideals. The majority of people living in Iran are Persian. Apparently there is no love lost between them and Arabs. Sad, but true.

5. Where is the UN?

And where do they stand on what's going on in Darfur? What are they supposed to do? Say, "stop...or I'll say stop again."

6. Where is Russia and China and for that matter India?

They've got their own problems keeping their own people silent and in line. Do you think they're going to condemn human rights violations? If anything, they are probably frantically trying to figure out how Facebook and Twitter work so they can head off any potential uprisings in their own countries.

7. What is going on???

Here, from my source Tatsuma, is a synopsis of what has happened in the past 48 hours.

21st of June

Two major events happened today:

- Grand Ayatollah Montazeri went directly against Ayatollah Khamenei's wishes and declared a 3-day mourning period in Iran, while Khamenei had ordered mosques to avoid making ceremonies in the memory of the fallen victims of governmental violence.

- The Guardian Council admitted that in 50 cities, there were in fact more vote recorded than there are registered voters and said they were looking into the situation. Seeing as the GC is under direct control of Khamenei, this is very likely an attempt at damage control from people who have yet to grasp how deep the schism in Iran is. This could be an attempt to ultimately blame Ahmadinejad for the irregularities and throw him under the bus in order to save their skin, which would be a sign they don't fully realize yet what is happening.

- Aside from that, as expected there were clashes all over Iran, but subsided since the 20th. The Iranian Government went on the offensive, kicking out a BBC correspondent and attacking Western countries for what they see as meddling in Iranian internal affairs. Tomorrow Mousavi has called for a general strike all over Iran. It seems that business activity that the already paralyzed country will be stopped completely.

22nd of June

Not much has happened today yet

- Members of the Parliament have commented that they are getting ready to hold Mousavi legally responsible for the protests and ensuing riots.

- Protesters have tried to protest peacefully and hold vigils, but were attacked

- A national strike should take place tomorrow, and the government warned that anyone who doesn't go to work will be fired

I hope this helps clarify some of your concerns. I understand you frustration. I wish we could do more. I choose to do as my brothers and sisters in Iran have asked us to do: pray for them.

What I want to point out is that there is much the international community can do without getting involved. For example – Embassies and countries could fly flags at half mast. They could declare a day of mourning for the peaceful unarmed fallen. We could call for more openness to international press and reporting.

We must all ask those of Islamic persuasions among us if Allah smiles on the leaders of a Islamic Republic when it’s security forces become paid assassins of unarmed citizens of their republic that honestly believe that atrocities against women and children are being enacted by said security forces.

I have said many times that the greatest indication to me that Traditional Christianity had apostatized and abandoned the teachings of Christ (especially the admonitions to love their neighbor) is the enabling and doing nothing while genocides in the name of Jesus were being carried out. The excuses that not all were involved or that times were tough are pointless. The point is that no one (not even a single individual Christian of the time) ever wrote of personal concerns in their private writings and journals.

At one of the most volatile times in human history and just years away from the outbreak of unbelievable atrocities – Jesus addressed the religious establishment of the living G-d, the preservers of ancient Jewish and Christian scripture, the very experts of the sacred covenants. Listen to what Jesus said from John chapter 8 beginning in verse 39:

“…. If ye were Abraham’s children, ye would do the works of Abraham.

40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.

41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.

…..

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murder from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.

46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?

47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

It was this event and others like it that brought those that were not of Abraham though they were his seed to seek the death of Jesus Christ that was sent by G-d. (as believed by Christians and Muslims alike).

Who can call themselves a believer in G-d, the teachings of G-d and the ways of G-d if we witness the murder of innocence (as we saw the images of a teenager girl shot in cold blood – and hear that the families and friends are not even allowed to mourn their fallen daughter and friend) and we do not even voice concern about it through our leaders. But my greatest concern is that I have not heard of a single Islamic “holy man”, imam, cleric or devout Islamic political leader voice a single utterance of concern; nor is there a single demonstration (outside of Iranians) in any Islamic country. This concerns me greatly as I contemplate things that I know must be accomplished before the hearts of humanity can endure a time of peace.

Thank you all for listining to my concerns and responding.

The Traveler

What I want to point out is that there is much the international community can do without getting involved. For example – Embassies and countries could fly flags at half mast. They could declare a day of mourning for the peaceful unarmed fallen. We could call for more openness to international press and reporting.

We must all ask those of Islamic persuasions among us if Allah smiles on the leaders of a Islamic Republic when it’s security forces become paid assassins of unarmed citizens of their republic that honestly believe that atrocities against women and children are being enacted by said security forces.

I have said many times that the greatest indication to me that Traditional Christianity had apostatized and abandoned the teachings of Christ (especially the admonitions to love their neighbor) is the enabling and doing nothing while genocides in the name of Jesus were being carried out. The excuses that not all were involved or that times were tough are pointless. The point is that no one (not even a single individual Christian of the time) ever wrote of personal concerns in their private writings and journals.

At one of the most volatile times in human history and just years away from the outbreak of unbelievable atrocities – Jesus addressed the religious establishment of the living G-d, the preservers of ancient Jewish and Christian scripture, the very experts of the sacred covenants. Listen to what Jesus said from John chapter 8 beginning in verse 39:

“…. If ye were Abraham’s children, ye would do the works of Abraham.

40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.

41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.

…..

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murder from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.

46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?

47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

It was this event and others like it that brought those that were not of Abraham though they were his seed to seek the death of Jesus Christ that was sent by G-d. (as believed by Christians and Muslims alike).

Who can call themselves a believer in G-d, the teachings of G-d and the ways of G-d if we witness the murder of innocence (as we saw the images of a teenager girl shot in cold blood – and hear that the families and friends are not even allowed to mourn their fallen daughter and friend) and we do not even voice concern about it through our leaders. But my greatest concern is that I have not heard of a single Islamic “holy man”, imam, cleric or devout Islamic political leader voice a single utterance of concern; nor is there a single demonstration (outside of Iranians) in any Islamic country. This concerns me greatly as I contemplate things that I know must be accomplished before the hearts of humanity can endure a time of peace.

Thank you all for listining to my concerns and responding.

The Traveler

Traveler:

I agree with you about making an effort to let the good people of Iran know that we support their desires for freedom and democracy. Regardless of the religious differences, we are all brothers and sisters.

We, as individuals, can only do so much can to show our support. It is hardly anything at all, but it makes me feel better and I have to believe that Heavenly Father sees my small tokens as silent prayers.

I wear a green ribbon pinned to my jacket. I also changed my Twitter location to GMT+3:30 Tehran time. For the past few nights I have burned a candle in my window for sweet Neda. I have gone so far as to learn how to write my name phonetically in the Persian language, and tonight we will be sampling a popular Northern Iranian dish called Khoresht Fesenjaan. It's made with chicken, walnuts, onions, and pomegranite juice.

Will any of these efforts make a difference. No. But I do them anyway. It's better than doing nothing at all.

Obama Rescinds July 4 Invitation to Iranians

Now, the latent conservative in me says, "this is a step in the right direction".

But, frankly, I thought Obama was going biting his tongue in order to pursue a long-term diplomatic solution, and I was willing to go with him on that and see what happened. Having committed to a strategy, it would have been nice to see the President stick with it a little longer before getting weak-kneed in the face of US popular opinion.

Obama Rescinds July 4 Invitation to Iranians

Now, the latent conservative in me says, "this is a step in the right direction".

But, frankly, I thought Obama was going biting his tongue in order to pursue a long-term diplomatic solution, and I was willing to go with him on that and see what happened. Having committed to a strategy, it would have been nice to see the President stick with it a little longer before getting weak-kneed in the face of US popular opinion.

Guy just can't do anything right can he? :huh:

I agree with this uprising being like Tiananmen Square. As great a cause and as corrupt as the leaders are if you don't have a wide base of support (i.e. college kids and farmers and soccer moms) you don't have staying power. China gave their people a big boost of capitalism after 1988 to take their minds off 'things', I wonder what Iran will do after this.

I have changed my profile colors, a little, so my headers look like green banners. I will be getting a green candle to burn while I pray for the people of Iran. My tears join with the tears of others, in a waterfall of sadness, washing over Iran. It isn't much, I know, for one person, but joined with the prayers of thousands, or millions of others, God can do miracles.

I have changed my profile colors, a little, so my headers look like green banners. I will be getting a green candle to burn while I pray for the people of Iran. My tears join with the tears of others, in a waterfall of sadness, washing over Iran. It isn't much, I know, for one person, but joined with the prayers of thousands, or millions of others, God can do miracles.

MormonMema: You may want to look up prayer in the LDS Bible dictionary. Pay particular note that some blessings are reserved until prayers are given. Prayers of compassion like yours open blessings that otherwise are not given. It was the prayers of Alma the older and others that brought the angel to Alma the younger.

The Traveler

I was laughing out loud this morning when listening to BBC Radio news, the same thug complained about Americans involvement with Iran riots. This never ends....

The US is the villain of convenience. Whatever happens in the third world, the US is involved. Be it Bolivia, Venezuela, Iran or Gaza --the US is involved.

In 1979 it was a fact that the Soviet tanks crossed the border into Afghanistan and began to bomb the northern region, literally, into the stone age. There was no reaction from the Arab world.

However, within the same 30 days, there was an incident in Mecca at the shrine and the US was implicated by rumor, I stress; it was just a rumor since it had absolutely nothing to do with the West for it was a fringe group bent on announcing the arrival of the Islamic Messiah. Two US embassies were bombed on account of that rumor.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking on this subject for a while and I wonder if there is a bigger picture. I wonder if the L-rd has a hand in all this and is changing the hearts of the people away from some of the brutal and dominant elements that exist currently in Islam in that part of the world and preparing that people to be more accepting of the gospel of Jesus Christ and those that covenant according to the restoration.

The Traveler

Mahdi, how do you feel about the reaction of the Iranian people to your recent election and do you feel the election was fair? It seems the Iranians are very sad about the outcome. I hope that they get the freedom and the democracy that they deserve.

The latest I have heard is that certain high cleric groups do not believe the election was fair and other cleric leaders higher up have not yet expressed an opinion.

You have been on LDS.net for two years. Glad to have you here with us. Muslims and LDS have much in common in our beliefs - importance of families, personal morality, care for the needy, strong believes and worship of God.

I hope you have learned much from us as we wish to learn from you. As Joseph Smith taught, we seek for good wherever it may be.