My Testimony

Helgi

About 30 yrs ago, I woke up in the morning, with this feeling I wasn´t alone in the room, and suspected it was my dad checking up on me, to see if I was up, so we could have breakfast together.

To my surprise, it wasn´t. But a strange man wearing a 3 piece suit was standing in the corner. I was just about to ask him who he was, what he was doing and how he got in, when he charged towards me, and opened an oxblood red book and shoved it under my chin.

He then proceeded to ask me to read certain passages, and asked me to read the footnotes and prompted my reply each time to the same question to each passage: "Do you understand what it says?" - To which I replied "Yes, I do", and then I nodded.

After a while, I heard my father´s footsteps, but I couldn´t move a muscle, except to nodd, speak and move my eyes. I looked towards the door, and on that movement, he withdrew the book and stepped back, and the vision was gone.

I got up and related my experience with my father, who asked me what book did he have. I said I´m not sure, it looked like my mum´s Bible.

He told me to look up that chapter. I told him I didn´t know which chapter, or even if it was the Bible.

I got the Bible out and opened it to about the same amount as the book had been in the Vision. It opened to the book of Ruth; but it didn´t make any sense (like it did in the vision).

We went down town, and I saw these two young men with a stand in the pedestrian street, and noticed everybody was avoiding them as if they were leppers. So I asked them what they were selling. They told me that they weren´t selling anything, that they were missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. To which I responded: "That´s a mouthful"; (No wonder noone is speaking to them I thought). But I felt sorry for them, and struck up a conversation with them.

Elder Carpenter, told me about The Church and The Book of Mormon, and before I left, he wanted to give me "Joseph Smith´s Testimony", which I accepted. As I looked at it, I said to him:"Hey! That´s the guy who was standing by my bed this morning." - The picture on front of the testimoney, was a drawn picture of The Prophet Joseph Smith wearing a three piece suit. - Elder Carpenter (from USA) wanted to know more, and then asked me if I would relate the story again for his companion, Elder Linus (also from USA).

I committed to taking the lessons, up at The Church, as my mother wasn´t partial to missionaries of any denomination, and I asked my brother to come with me.

My father was so impressed by my vision and the leaflet, that he said that if I wanted to join The Church and go on a mission, that he would fund the mission. - He died a couple of weeks later, and I lost contact with The Church after only 3 lessons (out of eight at that time).

Years´ later, I had a flat (apartment for you Americans) and was doing the dishes, when I suddenly remembered that incident, and started thinking, that I had never finished getting all the lessons. At that point, the door bell rang, and there stood two missionaries, Elders Lewis and Marks (both form USA), and I started taking the Lessons again - this time they were only six, but more compact.

I procrastinated, and it wasn´t until I had Elders Gardner (USA)and Guerts (from Canada), that The Spirit said to me, that three times I´ve been sent missionaries, and it was NOW time to get baptised. I invited my family who attended and I became a member.

I got my endowment a year later, and my Patriarchal Blessing a year after that. I did pray about one part in my Patriarchal Blessing, and that was where would I find this choice daughter of God which was promised me. - The Still Small Voice Said: "Manchester in England".

I thought that was very strange, as I didn´t know anyone there. Years later, I ended up in Manchester, where I met my wife.

Love,

Helgi