National Day Of Prayer

Snow

Yesterday I went to a a breakfast prayer meeting for our city's interdenominational faith council. Last year it was held at a local stake center and Ed Smart (father of Elizabeth) was the keynote speaker.

This year it was St. Bonnaventure - a Catholic Church. It was kind of funny going in... I saw more 19/20 years kids in white shirts with name tags (Elders) than priests. The meeting had 3 invocations - Greek Orthodox, Catholic and Jewish, 3 speakers - Catholic, Muslim and the Stake President. Singing. Awards to the Mayor, the Chief of Police and a lifetime award for peace to the last Stake President who was a founding member of the council.

The keynote speaker was Erin Runyon (if you follow California murder cases) and then three closing prayers by various faiths including Baha'i.

Very nice to see everybody coming together. I was surprized that there were not any mainline Protestans on the program - there were Mormons and a Church of Christ, Scientist, but no Baptists or Methodists. Maybe it just wasn't their turn.

snow,

I think that your city's yearly interdenominational faith council breakfast prayer meeting is a good idea.

I see that you have noted that it was nice to see everybody coming together.

I hope that this LDS board can heal after the recent attacks on members and their religious beliefs.

Maybe we (LDS board), need a breakfast prayer meeting to come together.

Originally posted by begood2@May 7 2005, 01:38 AM

snow,

I think that your city's yearly interdenominational faith council breakfast prayer meeting is a good idea.

I see that you have noted that it was nice to see everybody coming together.

I hope that this LDS board can heal after the recent attacks on members and their religious beliefs.

Maybe we (LDS board), need a breakfast prayer meeting to come together.

Please forgive me for being in and out of the board...are you referring to our members in Twin Falls, or was there a different attack as well?

Sam

Butsam,

I was referring to the LDS talk message board - Bringing Latter-Day Saints Together

Last week, the messages went from discussion to name calling. Alot of people were insulted or had their feelings hurt.

The LDS church was even equated as being as phony as a three dollar bill.

Someone was even fictitiously signing up new members by taking a member's name that they didn't like and adding a swear word to it.

There were clear violations in the rules. Hopefully that is behind us now and people can again enjoy reading the post. :D

Originally posted by john doe@May 9 2005, 10:54 PM

Someone was even fictitiously signing up new members by taking a member's name that they didn't like and adding a swear word to it.

Ooooohhh, I missed that. Was one of them a variation of my user name? Dang, I miss all the good stuff when I'm at work.

"Someone" :ph34r:

I saw many of those nasty names. :o

No, Mr. Doe, I didn't see one with your name.

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@May 10 2005, 10:42 AM

Well Im the guilty one calling the LDS Church "phoney as a three dollar bill".

Jason, I missed that the first time I guess. I knew that you no longer believed in the LDS Church but I believe that this might have been the most offensive thing you have said, She must have really pushed your buttons...no?

Originally posted by butsam@May 8 2005, 04:49 AM

Please forgive me for being in and out of the board...are you referring to our members in Twin Falls, or was there a different attack as well?

Sam

What happened in Twin Falls?

Whatever it was I didn't hear anything.

Then again, I watch KSL news and not internet, my ISP was down over the weekend.

Jason, I missed that the first time I guess. I knew that you no longer believed in the LDS Church but I believe that this might have been the most offensive thing you have said, She must have really pushed your buttons...no?

Strawberry,

If I remember right, it was an indirect comment at that. Something like: "There are those who would say that Mormonism was as phoney......."

It's frustrating talking to a brick wall. I should have known better.... <_<

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@May 10 2005, 11:50 AM

Strawberry,

If I remember right, it was an indirect comment at that. Something like: "There are those who would say that Mormonism was as phoney......."

It's frustrating talking to a brick wall. I should have known better.... <_<

I did warn you, didn't I???? :o

Jason,

I never said that it was just the fault of non-mormons. It takes two to tango. However let's look at one of your replies to Sethus not Amillia.

If you look at the Topic: Questions for EXmojason post May 3rd,2005 10:44AM~

Sethus,

You asked:

1. Why do non/anti mormons always question and attack

mormonism?

Honestly? Because the religion is as phony as a three dollar bill.

Remember when you were talking to Amillia and you were going to pretend to be Hinckley doing the interview for the San Fransico Chronicle?

At the end you said , "I asked the Lord and he said that Hinckley is a major screw-up, and not to be trusted.

Remember when Randy Johnson ask you (4/28) in Topic: Pope compared to LDS Leadership, why you concerned yourself with mormon doctrine now that you don't believe it?

Answer: I still have LDS family and I want to make sure that I'm sharp for the opportune moment when I can exploit the religion.

Remember when Randy asked you why you don't just leave the church alone since you left it?

Answer: I enjoy tormenting dumb people like you in pointing out the obvious. That's why Randy.

Snow's post came next ~ mod hat on: Okay - lets get back to the topic or move on.

I enjoyed some of your earlier discussions with Proud Duck. :)

I like Amillia. I don't always agree with her but why are you still calling her jerk when she is not here to defend herself?I think that you were bored, so you decided to get on the LDS message board looking for a mental fisticuffs fight.

You knew what buttons to push to egg her into the exchange. During this period, she was also trying to defend

the LDS church against Tao (who later apologized :) ) and others.

No one listened to her earlier answers because they were too busy gearing up for the next round of assaults against the LDS church and its beliefs.

One of the message boards rules is: Bashing ones church or faith will not be permitted! Zero tolerance!

John doe posted a reply to a complaint by Tao, May 1,2005 in the Topic PopeVs. Prophet about being persecuted.

IMO, he could have been talking to you as well:

"No, what you saw was a normal reaction any person or group of people has when they are attacked, whether they deserve it or not. The normal reaction to attack is to circle the wagons, dig in, and fire back. I wouldn't call the reaction you received from some here as persecution. You willfully went to a website whose ideals did not match yours, made disparaging remarks about the things they believed in, knowing that there likely would be someone who would take offense to your unflattering words. Who's being persecuted here? The attacker or the defender? All the attacker has to do is stop denigrating others's beliefs and the defenses will go down."

My original intent was not to put the blame on one side or the other but to simply point out that we are adults. We are all unique individuals with different beliefs and opinions. If we follow the rules of LDS Talk, it can be a fun learning experience for all of us and not a drunken brawl in the street! :(:D

Guest Taoist_Saint

Begood...

I agree with most of what you said.

I admit I did criticize the validity of the Priesthood...and therefore the LDS Church. I'm not sure that is a violation of the rules, though I still regret it because it was not a nice thing to do.

Is it against the rules to criticize the church in any way? If so, I broke the rules.

But Amillia broke a different rule when she accused Jason, and later myself, of being sinners...feeling guilty of sin...etc.

That is a personal attack, based on nothing more than the fact that we don't believe in the Church.

She was not acknowledging that some people just don't believe in the church because it seems illogical...that is why I don't believe...not because I feel guilty about some sin :rolleyes:

So we all broke rules...assuming that criticizing the Church and personal attacks are against the rules.

I like Amillia. I don't always agree with her but why are you still calling her jerk when she is not here to defend herself?

This is a message board. She can log on at any time and make any snide comment she wishes. (By the way, I liked her better as her alter ego, Peace.)

I think that you were bored, so you decided to get on the LDS message board looking for a mental fisticuffs fight.

Aren't we all.