plastic surgery

lovemykids

I'd say go for it if you think that will make you more self confident then do it ... my friend is going to have a rhinoplasty because he thinks that would make him happier . to me is not selfish...

i want the lasik surgery (eye surgery) but my parents won't let me...

GIDGirl,

Here are a few unsolicited tips if you want to get LASIK. You don't have to believe me, of course, but please take a few hours to do some basic homework. In the end, I think you'll agree with me on these.

• Do not get LASIK or any other operative procedure until you're in your mid-20s or later. Your prescription is likely to be unstable before that age, and you certainly DO NOT want to get an eye operation, only to find out five years later that you need another because your prescription has changed.
  • When you do get the procedure, DO NOT GET LASIK AT ALL!! Rather, get PRK, a related, slightly more uncomfortable, but far safer and less damaging procedure.

LASIK requires that your cornea (surface of the eye) be sliced open, and the corneal modification is made underneath this "flap". What the ophthalmologist won't tell you -- indeed, what some ophthalmologists seem not to know at all -- is that the corneal flap never heals, not if you live to be 100. PRK does not do the flap; rather, it does the corneal modification right on the surface of your cornea. This is slightly more uncomfortable for the first few days after the procedure, but NO FLAP IS PRODUCED. The cornea is stronger and you don't have to worry about "flap dislodgement" or infection under the flap edge.

You don't have to take my word for it. Rather, please research what I've written. If people simply refused to get LASIK and demanded PRK, we would all be much better off for it.

EDIT: This supposedly "unbiased" comparison chart highlights these differences.

Edited by Vort

But would it get me to 20/20? I've heard not, so no point in going to the trouble and expense to still be stuck wearing glasses.

My understanding is that PRK/LASIK work up to +/-10 diopters. 20/20 is not guaranteed, but any more it's pretty much standard. Almost everyone can at least pass a driver's licensing test without needing glasses.

• 1 month later...

The only thing I'd ever consider is a breast augmentation. But I don't even feel that strongly about it. My husband is supportive either way but prefers me natural. Going under the knife is a very personal decision. It's your body, you live with it, you make the call.

someone mentioned their daughters nose..... to kinda wander off topic a bit... would you let your teenager get cosmetic surgery if they wanted it?.... would you ever encourage your kid to get cosmetic surgery for anything? what age is "old enough" for such a decision?

i'm not just asking for sake of argument, i seriously want to know opinions on this. lol

ok so here is the situation. my youngest, she is 16 months so obviously to young for anything. her belly button is an outie... like not a normal outie but a really bad outie... like you can see it sticking out under her shirt, and when she throws a fit it sticks out even more... there don't seem to be any issues with it, no medical problem, just.... prominant? i'm not kidding about how bad this is. she was in nothing but a diaper one day and throwing a fit so it was really sticking out and i had a conversation with her 14 yr old brother that went basicly like this

him: what is that?!

me: her belly button.

him: is it ok?

me: yes, it's just an outie

him: it looks like a... never mind

yes he was going to say what you probably think he was going to say... lol

so yeah, i've been thinking about belly button surgery for her. obviously not till she is much older. i don't consider myself vain. but... is it fair to make her go her whole life with such comments over something as stupid as a belly button? it's not even a genetic issue, belly buttons are luck of the draw.

am i compleatly wrong?

Gwen, that's a good question :]

I tend to believe that if it's not a health issue for the child, to leave it be and allow them to opt for surgery when they are of age. But some things are best addressed earlier than later. Especially if it's an abnormality that is likely to draw negative and unwanted attention that can be potentially damaging to the child's self-esteem and self-image in general.

I think that if its something you really know will make you feel better about yourself you should do it.

Sometimes its hard, when you do everything you can, and you still have that stretchy skin. (I would know) If i could afford it I'd get a tummy tuck.

But then again...not a very good idea at age 21...

But i've always had self esteem issues so whatev. But i really believe that once you do something like this for yourself you and your husband will benifit from it because it will make you feel better about yourself and you will feel more confidant and your husband will notice and this will make him feel good because it makes you feel good.

You need to do your research and really feel great about whatever decision you make!

ok so here is the situation. my youngest, she is 16 months so obviously to young for anything. her belly button is an outie... like not a normal outie but a really bad outie... like you can see it sticking out under her shirt, and when she throws a fit it sticks out even more... there don't seem to be any issues with it, no medical problem, just.... prominant? i'm not kidding about how bad this is. she was in nothing but a diaper one day and throwing a fit so it was really sticking out and i had a conversation with her 14 yr old brother that went basicly like this

so yeah, i've been thinking about belly button surgery for her. obviously not till she is much older. i don't consider myself vain. but... is it fair to make her go her whole life with such comments over something as stupid as a belly button? it's not even a genetic issue, belly buttons are luck of the draw.

am i compleatly wrong?

No, you are not. You are the parent, you have the responbility of making the decision. There is no right or wrong answer. If you feel that cosmetic surgery is necessary to correct her belly button, then talk to your Doctor about it. Our son was extremely sensitive about the shape of his breasts when he was going thru puberty. We had our Doctor look at them and based on his evaluation, decided to have surgery done to correct his condition. It made him feel better about himself and he no longer dreaded taking his shirt off during sports activities in front of the other boys. :P

• 1 month later...

The risk is involved in all the things so it is better to think about the benefits rather than speaking about drawbacks, as for as i know the risk after this liposuction might be for infection or irregularities due to the wavy nature of the skin after the liposuction. I got all the information from the website David Rankin, M.D. | Cosmetic Plastic Surgery. Visit the site for more information.

am i compleatly wrong?

That doesn't sound like an "outie", it sounds like a hernia. She should get it surgically corrected.

Edited by Vort
Oops, 16 MONTHS, not 16 YEARS...never mind about the snarky comment she could use...

am i compleatly wrong?

Gwen,

My brother got rejected from the Army because of his outie belly button. Something about "umbilical hernia". She could possibly have a hernia, which could be lived with or could be a medical problem. Ask Our Expert - Newborn's Belly Button

ETA: I see Vort beat me to it while I was researching a link for you.

Edited by Generally_Me
Vort beat me to it

i don't think it's an umbilical hernia. i've pointed it out to the doc on her normal check ups, he's not seemed concerned. even commented on it during the plastic surgeon follow up for her eye on friday. granted bellies isn't his specialty he said "wow that's an outie. but it looks healthy"

i guess we'll just wait and see.

Gwen, my daughter (who is now 9) has the exact same issue. Kids at school have said, "What's that?" and pointed at the little bump sticking out beneath her shirt. She just says, "It's my bellybutton, DUH!" It's not herniated. The doctor has checked it thoroughly. It's just that her actual bellybutton skin protrudes. It's a REALLY-outie outie. She's fine with it now. But I suspect that when she's a teenager and is wearing a bathing suit (I'm not talking about a bikini, just a regular bathing suit--because you'd be able to see her li'l bump through it), she'll be self-conscious about it. We will be more than happy to have it corrected. We would do anything we can to help our kids be healthy, happy, welladjusted kids. I don't think that's spoiling them any more than it would be spoiling for us to correct our second oldest son's crooked teeth with braces. It's not mandatory, but boy is it nice to have straight teeth!

• 4 weeks later...

First off, I realize I am a male and that limits my perspective. Sadly, too many men (mainly in the world, but also in the Church) are more responsible for the pressure that women experience to look attractive by worldly standards. Also, I want to make it perfectly clear up front that although I am completely supportive of reconstructive surgery (repair loss from accident, disease or abnormalities, like birth defects), I am opposed to plastic surgeries (augmenting functioning body parts, like noses), and am particularly concerned about how more and more women are getting breasts implants. This article in MSNBC www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17932515 I think outlines some of the concerns.

The Savior taught to see the insides of others, not the outside. I believe the very act of getting plastic surgery is based on the worldly view that female worth is located by physical appearance. For example, in the world, “real” woman have “larger” breasts and as such, women with smaller breasts or women who had mastectomies are then labeled in society as “less than.” This in turn, causes them to dislike themselves and question their worth. We need to act like the Savior and I do not think He could support the view that body image equates female worth. I think the Savior (and therefore LDS’s) should see inner attributes of female worth – such as kindness, humility, meekness, intelligences, a strong work ethic, and service. Further, the underlying ideology of looking like a Barbie doll (e.g., women as sex objects) leads to a host other health concerns, such as eating disorders, depression, and so forth on the female side and other problems related on the male side (e.g., temptations of flesh, seeing female worth by attraction, etc.).

I look forward to thoughtful and Christ-like conversation and hope my views do not offend anyone who thinks otherwise.

Gwen, my daughter (who is now 9) has the exact same issue. Kids at school have said, "What's that?" and pointed at the little bump sticking out beneath her shirt. She just says, "It's my bellybutton, DUH!" It's not herniated. The doctor has checked it thoroughly. It's just that her actual bellybutton skin protrudes. It's a REALLY-outie outie. She's fine with it now. But I suspect that when she's a teenager and is wearing a bathing suit (I'm not talking about a bikini, just a regular bathing suit--because you'd be able to see her li'l bump through it), she'll be self-conscious about it. We will be more than happy to have it corrected. We would do anything we can to help our kids be healthy, happy, welladjusted kids. I don't think that's spoiling them any more than it would be spoiling for us to correct our second oldest son's crooked teeth with braces. It's not mandatory, but boy is it nice to have straight teeth!

i'm glad to know she's not the only one. and that i'm not the only parent to see it this way.

• 4 weeks later...

i do plan on having it fixed... of course her feelings will come first if she disagrees. i'm not going to tell her it's ugly or anything and that it needs fixing but if she ever complains about it i will let her know i will be happy to help her get it fixed. i want her to know the option is always there.

as for who does it i'll have to do more research when the time comes. technology in that area changes so fast these days. if i had to make the decision today i would only go to a plastic surgeon... the one i saw for her cut by her eye said when she's older he could give me some recomendations of dr's. with all proceedures there are risks and those need to be looked at in reguards to the specific individual. from what i understand this one is pretty common right now and simple. i figure if she is intrested what can a consult hurt? go through the cost, risks, etc and see what you and she think about it all. could be a great teaching opportunity for you and her. teach her how to get the facts. how to consider her specific needs, etc when making that kind of decision. cost vs benefit. how to plan and save for something big like that. let her be part of the process....

here is one perspective on it Belly button surgery for a beautiful belly button

• 2 weeks later...