Bearing a testimony... (how to)

I have learned that whenever I am touched by the spirit during someone’s testimony that it is important to thank that person that helped me connect with the spirit. Doing so doubles my spiritual intake and if my observations are correct it assist them in their spiritual journey as well and gives to me a greater appreciation of G-d and my fellow men.

BTW – Misshalfway – Thank you so much for support to those (like me) that give imperfect testimonies.

The Traveler

Now that was "inspirational"!

We had one sacrament meeting where a former (popular) BYU fb player was speaking. There were times when I wondered if any of his remarks would be about anything other than himself and his selfless acts of service.

Both my husband and I left the meeting feeling somewhat entertained rather than spiritually fed.

Try listen to Steve Young, NFL retirees, BYU top ever picture and hitter, and a few more. If I don't feel the Spirit, I agree, it was mere entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

its been some days since I first posted here, and I just can't believe what happened yesterday in testimony meeting. this sister was the first one to get up and bear her "testimony" but the story she said was beyond disturbing and what she did too.. first she stated " on tuesday, aprox. at 10:30 a couple of hit man wanted to take my son... bla... this is why I took the stand and wanna thank G.d for this so I ask you to join me in a prayer...

so far I thought she was asking to join in a prayer in our houses, but no ! she meant there and then she prayed and told all the storie with every detail and to me it was shocking not to share it from the pulpit ... in the prayer she also said "bless this people so they can have a testimony as strong as mine, because it seems that they dont... after that she gave all the details of this hired assassins that they went to kill her son with a gun they were going to shoot him , then she said Oh lord why is this country to corrupt and this city is getting so dangerous. .. and more

to make this shorter she lasted more than 15 minutes in her prayer plus the introduction and conclusion more than 20 min..

she is been a member since a long time ago, but it seems that new members learned quick because a new convert passed too to "testify" and he told an experience he is a cab driver and he said that while working he drove this two girls to the place they had asked but once they got there one of them started to undress and she told him that they didnt have any money so they were going to pay him with "something else".. so supposenly the cab driver said no, and the girl got out of the car and screamed that he wanted to rape her.. ok and the story kept going all they way to the end...

I just couldn't believe this... my brother told me that in the priesthood class the leaders agree that they couldn't say anything because the lady might be offended...

oh and she is not supposed to go to our ward but she does because her ward meeting starts earlier...

When I was in the Bishopric in my previous ward, we made a statement that we read before each F&T meeting. In effect, we talked of the importance of fasting, of the fast offering, and that the bearing of testimonies was to be reserved for talking of Christ, the Restoration, or other gospel principles. Not preaching, not travelogues, certainly not confessions. But it seems to bounce off of people's heads. They don't really listen. We've had talks, I've given fairly strongly worded talks about what a testimony is (Pres Kimball stated that once you begin preaching or rambling, the testimony was over).

It is a big problem in the church. We hurt ourselves by not allowing the Spirit to wash over us when we (or others) get up and talk about their vacation and how little Johnny learned about repentance, etc., after smacking his sister upside the head, etc (repentance is a good principle, don't get me wrong, but the story leading up to it took 5 mins and the principle was 15 seconds).

We also shouldn't really say 'I'm thankful for'...That belongs in a prayer. Testimony means we state 'I believe'... or 'I know'... or 'I testify'.... That is what a testimony is.

But it will continue in the church because we are all on different parts of the path, and traditions are VERY hard to overcome...

I also feel that many do not actually bear witness to those that matter; those not of our faith and that still believe absurdities about our religion. All because they have not heard us bearing our testimony of Christ and the truthfulness of the Gospel. I think a testimony should be succinct and to the point. If it takes more than 1 minute is too long.