Why are there so few LDS bookstores in Southern California

bytebear

I feel so blessed that a temple was built in Newport Beach just a few minutes drive from me (even closer to me than the SL Temple was when I lived in SLC). So, why do I have to trek all the way to the city of Orange to go to Deseret Book. Why aren't there more LDS Bookstores here? There are several Christian bookstores scattered around, and I know there is a fairly substantial LDS population here that is growing, particularly in South OC, but that one little Deseret Book is still the only bookstore in the area. :mad:

Welcome to the rest of the world.

That's true, outside of Utah, Idaho, and parts of Arizona, the LDS population is a tiny minority. As a result, there isn't enough of a market to make opening a LDS bookstore worth the cost of running it. Even though Orange County is mostly Republican and conservative, most people who live there attend other Christian churches. Besides, it's easier to order books and other items online than to pay for gas or airfare to Salt Lake City.

I feel so blessed that a temple was built in Newport Beach just a few minutes drive from me (even closer to me than the SL Temple was when I lived in SLC). So, why do I have to trek all the way to the city of Orange to go to Deseret Book. Why aren't there more LDS Bookstores here? There are several Christian bookstores scattered around, and I know there is a fairly substantial LDS population here that is growing, particularly in South OC, but that one little Deseret Book is still the only bookstore in the area. :mad:

Here is the answer: it is all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. How many members here use the Internet in making church type purchases? I just stopped by one of the stores this morning in San Diego and purchased a new quad with carry case and wedding band replacement. I asked the clerk how was business lately? He replied, if it wasn't for the scouts and EC, they would have closed the store. Also, city officials and emergency crews do frequent this store for its emergency supplies ;)

Welcome to the rest of the world.

lol my thoughts exactly nearest temple and bookstore for me is over 350 miles away and at least 7 hours drive. I know of a at least 2 in Southern California only an hourish drive apart lol I do however use my LOCAL store when purchasing online

-Charley

Edited by Elgama

That's true, outside of Utah, Idaho, and parts of Arizona, the LDS population is a tiny minority. As a result, there isn't enough of a market to make opening a LDS bookstore worth the cost of running it. Even though Orange County is mostly Republican and conservative, most people who live there attend other Christian churches. Besides, it's easier to order books and other items online than to pay for gas or airfare to Salt Lake City.

I grew up in Anaheim, and my mom used to work at a credit union that was across the street from a Deseret Book store. That was over 20 years ago, though.

Im 99.99999999% percent positive there isn't an LDS bookstore in my state...and i know of one in the surrounding 5 states....

Oh where? You're in the Midwest, right?

lol my thoughts exactly nearest temple and bookstore for me is over 350 miles away and at least 7 hours drive. I know of a at least 2 in Southern California only an hourish drive apart lol I do however use my LOCAL store when purchasing online

-Charley

Yes, there are 4 temples within an hour and a half from me, but I am near the Newport Beach temple, with the LA Temple an hour North, the San Diego Temple an hour South and the Redlands temple an hour inland. So, my point is, we do have a large LDS population. I work 20 minutes from my home, and pass several chapels on the way. We have a lot of Mormons here. So why not have more bookstores. What is odd is the Deseret book is not even near any of the temples. It is pretty isolated. I know there is a Seagull Bookdstore near the LA Temple, and there is probably something in San Diego near that temple but otherwise, that's it. Kinda sad really. I know bookstores are dying because of the internet, but I still like them better. I like to browse. I would even love a non-denominational multi-faith store, and I could see it with some, since most Christian bookstores I go to are not hostile to the Church, although some are, they are rare here. I wonder if such a store would survive the hostility against opposing faiths?

• 1 year later...

Good People,

I am happy to report that there is an LDS bookstore in Orange County, California!

It is called the Bookport and it is located about 15 minutes away from the Newport Beach Temple. The website is www.thebookport.com. I lived in Fountain Valley for almost 27 years and would often visit the Bookport for scriptures, teaching aides, reference books, etc.

The Bookport has been open nearly 25 years and has remained open in spite of the economic downturn we have been expierencing. While Seagull and Deseret Books have closed their doors in Sothern California, the Bookport remains where it has always been, in beautiful Fountain Valley.

So instead of driving to San Diego or Bellflower, go check out the Bookport.

PS - They also have an email offering weekly discounts.