Independence Day: honoring those who serve

KeithLBrown

Church services for the LDS military group in Iraq include two one-hour meetings a day, writes U.S. Marine Corps 1st Lt. Eric Russell.

"Each meeting is structured like a sacrament meeting all the way up until after sacrament, when we turn to lessons instead of talks," added Russell, of Lee's Summit, Mo., who is an assistant group leader.

About 20 attend the early afternoon session and 10 to 15 attend the evening session.

But even then, they wear their uniforms to church and bring their weapons — as they do everywhere, he added.

Russell is one of the many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who is on active duty overseas. Some meet in groups like Russell's, and others have had missionary experiences as they live the gospel while serving their country. Some are on their first deployments, and others have been overseas several times. They include soldiers, sailors, engineers, medics and gunners.

In celebration of Independence Day, Mormon Times readers are sharing information about their loved ones on active duty overseas.

Read the profiles on MormonTimes.com.

What's interesting is the comment about PO2 Nickolas Lyon. It mentions they are in the Imperial Beach ward in San Diego. I grew up in that ward before they split off. That's awesome.

Thanks for sharing this Keith. It's great to hear about some of our men who are serving currently.

It is my hope and prayer that as we celebrate this Fourth of July, we will take some time to pay honor to those valiant men and women who serve this great nation of ours in the United States Armed Forces. As a 20 year retired United States Navy veteran, I know and realize that it is because of their unfailing courage and commitment that we are able to remain the "land of the free and the home of the brave" and enjoy those freedoms that we cherish so dearly. These men and women know all too well that freedom in and of itself is not free. May God bless each of them in their service and may God bless the United States of America.

Keith Lionel Brown

Electronics Technician First Class, USN, Retired

Edited by KeithLBrown

My brother had to drive about 2 hours to get to the nearest church services (assuming he could get the time off), and he really didn't want to be on those roads more than necessary :P

I am glad that others can gather and find some measure of peace.

There is a video that was made by celebrities during the Kuwait war that I just loved. I still find it applicable even today knowing we have troops out across the world.

Pam, funny that you should mention bells. Just another little tidbit of Keith Lionel Brown history trivia: I actually did recieve bells once in my 20 year naval career. I was part of the commissioning crew for the U.S.S. Lake Champlain CG-57 (there is a video on my page) and therefore a plank owner. When I departed the ship for the last time, I received two bells followed by an nnouncement over the ship's PA system: "Electronics Technician First Class Keith Lionel Brown, Plank Owner, United States Navy, Departing."

Believe it or not I actually had bells for me once. I was the Ombudsman for almost 3 years for a ship that was decommissioned. I had become very close to the Captain and his wife. Even going to Hong Kong with the Captain's wife to meet the ship there.

Anyway, I was always joking around with the Captain's wife at social events. I would do the ding ding...ding ding..Dru arriving.

The day of the decommissioning I was a special invited guest of the Captain. As I started to walk up the ladder...I heard...ding ding...ding ding...Pam our Ombudsman arriving. Found out the Captain's wife talked her husband into it as a joke.

But boy did I feel special that day.

Edited by pam