Why

Dell

Well, we wouldn't be as strong and devoted as we are if it wasn't that strict. If we let any bit of temptation into our lives, it can overrun your life. I'm sure everyone has heard of it like this before, but it starts out really small and graduates to larger degrees until you don't have control anymore. We live strict because we don't want to dissapoint our heavenly father.

Guest &lusername&gt

to quote metallica from their song "devil's dance" "Deep down inside you know Seeds I plant will grow into trees." and its true. but there is a longer explanation but yeah be ready to tell yoour friens things they will without a dought reject and critisize

Originally posted by <username>@May 23 2005, 05:18 PM

to quote metallica from theri song "devil's dance" "Deep down inside yuo know Seeds i plant will grow into trees." and its true. but there is a longer explanation but yeah be ready to tell yoru friens things they will with otu a dought reject adn critisive

I don't mean to be critical username, but your writing is REALLY hard to read. And second, personally I wouldn't take a quote from a metallica song to back up my religion, I dunno about you guys but that's just me.

Originally posted by Spencer+May 24 2005, 03:11 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spencer @ May 24 2005, 03:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Dell@May 22 2005, 01:26 PM

One of my friends at school asked why the mormon religion is so strict please help me explain

because the reward is so great.

Spencer

Very Well said Spencer I agree. :)

Why is it so strict? Because we are dealing with the laws of eternity and the ways of an eternal God.

The church has taught that everything has a consiquence. Even good deeds have a consiquence. Science even backs this up. Gravity, if you walk off a cliff you will fall. If you stand too close to the edge of the cliff the dirt starts to give way, then you're sliding, slowly at first and if you don't leap for safety you start to slide faster and faster until you are out of control. You might get lucky and find a branch to catch onto to stop you from the certain death from falling the rest of the way but you can't get back up from where you are without help.

This is why it is so strict. Because if we allow ourself to walk the edge we run the very real risk of slipping. And falling to spiritual death. For those who happen to find a "branch" before going all the way over the edge there is help, in the form of repentence (and even moving away from the edge before slipping can be viewed as repentance for lesser sins)

Even on what we think is solid ground and won't break apart from under us if we go to the edge has its dangers. What if a strong wind gusts or you find the ground is wet and slippery? These represent unexpected dangers of not being strict and staying away from the edge.

Strict can be a very good thing. I speak only of morality and spirituality. I don't think life needs to be rigid in all aspects. I jump out of perfectly good planes and swim with bombs for a living. B)

Guest &lusername&gt
Originally posted by Franken+May 23 2005, 11:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Franken @ May 23 2005, 11:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--<username>@May 23 2005, 05:18 PM

to quote metallica from theri song "devil's dance" "Deep down inside yuo know Seeds i plant will grow into trees." and its true.  but there is a longer explanation but yeah be ready to tell yoru friens things they will with otu a dought reject adn critisive

I don't mean to be critical username, but your writing is REALLY hard to read. And second, personally I wouldn't take a quote from a metallica song to back up my religion, I dunno about you guys but that's just me.

Can you say steriotype? Sorry, but that is exactly what that is. If I was to credit Lars Ulritch With that, what would you have said? James Hetfield? Johnathon Davis? hmm, how about Charles Dickison? or, Erinist Heminway? Come on, it isn't who says it it's what it says. The Apostol Paul said in an episal to Corinth, Greece, that it isn't what you do but why (paraphrase) now obiosly that doesn't pertain to things like adultry. He was answerign a question about eating the meat in the tempels or the Greek Gods. But it isn't like Because James has written some horrible lyrics befor, it doesn't make everythign they write satanic. they have actully written many songs that part of the lyrics have gosple paraells, such as "Hero of the day" or "No Leaf Clover". They have also written some realy awsome songs that are completly harmless, such as "Astronomy" and "Nothinf Else Matters" (which, by the way, is a love sogn he wrote for is now wife Franchesca) They even wrote a sogn about the Angel of Death's visit to Egypt in Moses's time (we all know that story). Now, true, James changing the lirics from "To kill the first born sons" to "To kill the first born girl's sons" cant be a good thing, but it doesn't change what the song is about. The entire song of "Devils Dance" isn't very wholesome, but it does say things that are true no matter what. Now I myself would not quote Metallica right off the bat when disscussing treocracy. I was referign to the post above mine. And as for my grammatical errors, sorry they bother you. I'll do my best but i am a horrible typer, so no high-hopes.

As for my answer, It realy is about what kidn fo person you want to be. The church does not put your life on the line. The church has rules set by prophets that were inspired very greatly to guide us. and by us, I mean the whole world. Beleive it or not, the prophet is over the entire worls population, not just the church. We know very little. We may be quick thinkers, but we are stuped as you cant belive. It is a part of our mortalidy. We can only see things as they are now, as we think they may become, and what they were. But we know that God knows all, KNows exactly what our situation is and what it will become via our chioces. TThe prophets were inspired to write church guide lines as they are so that we may know what we should doing. It is our chioces. But makign chioces of teh flesh only leads to a short-lived, pathetic, sorry excuse for happiness. We know that sin "never was happiness." why? Because a sin is anything that go's against Gods will. He always has our best interest at heart. By practicign absanence from sex, we avoid STD's that we otherwise would most likly catch and not know it until 10-20 years later. Green Tea has toxins that eat away at your stomac linning, as does Coffie, but, Green Tea is very effective as a sun-burn help (soak a cloth in chilled Gren Tea then put the choth on your burns) They say wine cleans your system. Well it kills your liver because of the alchohal, and resant studies have shown that Apple Juice and regular un-fermented Grape Jice does a better job of cleanign yoru system anyhoo. These are just a few examples. It has a lot of rules so that we know how to live a healthy, Happy life and enjoy it longer. WE choose to follow the rules.

PS did you know LDS members live 10 years longer on average? cool thign i learned at Seminary Graduation.

Originally posted by <username>+May 24 2005, 12:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<username> @ May 24 2005, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Franken@May 23 2005, 11:37 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--<username>@May 23 2005, 05:18 PM

to quote metallica from theri song "devil's dance" "Deep down inside yuo know Seeds i plant will grow into trees." and its true.  but there is a longer explanation but yeah be ready to tell yoru friens things they will with otu a dought reject adn critisive

Can you say steriotype? Sorry, but that is exactly what that is. If I was to credit Lars Ulritch With that, what would you have said? James Hetfield? Johnathon Davis? hmm, how about Charles Dickison? or, Erinist Heminway? Come on, it isn't who says it it's what it says. The Apostol Paul said in an episal to Corinth, Greece, that it isn't what you do but why (paraphrase) now obiosly that doesn't pertain to things like adultry. He was answerign a question about eating the meat in the tempels or the Greek Gods. But it isn't like Because James has written some horrible lyrics befor, it doesn't make everythign they write satanic. they have actully written many songs that part of the lyrics have gosple paraells, such as "Hero of the day" or "No Leaf Clover". They have also written some realy awsome songs that are completly harmless, such as "Astronomy" and "Nothinf Else Matters" (which, by the way, is a love sogn he wrote for is now wife Franchesca) They even wrote a sogn about the Angel of Death's visit to Egypt in Moses's time (we all know that story). Now, true, James changing the lirics from "To kill the first born sons" to "To kill the first born girl's sons" cant be a good thing, but it doesn't change what the song is about. The entire song of "Devils Dance" isn't very wholesome, but it does say things that are true no matter what. Now I myself would not quote Metallica right off the bat when disscussing treocracy. I was referign to the post above mine. And as for my grammatical errors, sorry they bother you. I'll do my best but i am a horrible typer, so no high-hopes.

As for my answer, It realy is about what kidn fo person you want to be. The church does not put your life on the line. The church has rules set by prophets that were inspired very greatly to guide us. and by us, I mean the whole world. Beleive it or not, the prophet is over the entire worls population, not just the church. We know very little. We may be quick thinkers, but we are stuped as you cant belive. It is a part of our mortalidy. We can only see things as they are now, as we think they may become, and what they were. But we know that God knows all, KNows exactly what our situation is and what it will become via our chioces. TThe prophets were inspired to write church guide lines as they are so that we may know what we should doing. It is our chioces. But makign chioces of teh flesh only leads to a short-lived, pathetic, sorry excuse for happiness. We know that sin "never was happiness." why? Because a sin is anything that go's against Gods will. He always has our best interest at heart. By practicign absanence from sex, we avoid STD's that we otherwise would most likly catch and not know it until 10-20 years later. Green Tea has toxins that eat away at your stomac linning, as does Coffie, but, Green Tea is very effective as a sun-burn help (soak a cloth in chilled Gren Tea then put the choth on your burns) They say wine cleans your system. Well it kills your liver because of the alchohal, and resant studies have shown that Apple Juice and regular un-fermented Grape Jice does a better job of cleanign yoru system anyhoo. These are just a few examples. It has a lot of rules so that we know how to live a healthy, Happy life and enjoy it longer. WE choose to follow the rules.

PS did you know LDS members live 10 years longer on average? cool thign i learned at Seminary Graduation.

I think the best thing to do when approached with that kind of question by a non member friend, why are we so strict would be to think WWJD. I just don't see him telling them,

"Well, I think I could best explain it this way, I was listening to this metallica song once, and wow this line they had in their song just inspired me to be a better person and I can definately tell you why we're so strict because of it."

It wouldn't happen. What if a seriel killer said something just once in his life that was profound? Would you quote him on it to back up our religion? No. The point is, when you relate things like metallica or other stuff of the sort to our religion, people will compare them and believe from what you told them that our church is like metallica.

Originally posted by <username>+May 24 2005, 12:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<username> @ May 24 2005, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

The other thing I meant to mention is that, it's not that he only has our best interest at heart, but when he wants us to abstain from sex before marriage and such, it's because it deals with the creation of life, one of the most sacred powers that we are given as human beings.

Originally posted by Franken@May 24 2005, 02:45 PM

I think the best thing to do when approached with that kind of question by a non member friend, why are we so strict would be to think WWJD.

<span style='color:blue'>First of all, the LDS church has already given us the eternal answer to the question "WWJD"? That answer is "CTR".

What would Jesus do? He would Choose the right!

And another good point to mention is while the world was still trying to figure out "WWJD", the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints had been teaching "CTR" for decades. This, I think is just a small token or sign that the Church is inspired. The world seeks to ask questions the Church of the First born has already answered to those who would heed His gospel.

Guest &lusername&gt
Originally posted by Franken+May 24 2005, 03:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Franken @ May 24 2005, 03:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -<username>@May 24 2005, 12:55 PM

The other thing I meant to mention is that, it's not that he only has our best interest at heart, but when he wants us to abstain from sex before marriage and such, it's because it deals with the creation of life, one of the most sacred powers that we are given as human beings.

Did you not read what isad? I said that you shouldn't open it with metallica thign i was just saying that quote because it when with what

Well, we wouldn't be as strong and devoted as we are if it wasn't that strict. If we let any bit of temptation into our lives, it can overrun your life. I'm sure everyone has heard of it like this before, but it starts out really small and graduates to larger degrees until you don't have control anymore. We live strict because we don't want to dissapoint our heavenly father.

then i said

to quote metallica from their song "devil's dance" "Deep down inside you know Seeds I plant will grow into trees."

do ya see it now? i agree woth what ya said abotu not saying "a metallica sogn says..." but, you still could say "there is a quote that says..."

Originally posted by <username>+May 24 2005, 03:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<username> @ May 24 2005, 03:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Franken@May 24 2005, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by -<username>@May 24 2005, 12:55 PM

Did you not read what isad? I said that you shouldn't open it with metallica thign i was just saying that quote because it when with what

then i said

to quote metallica from their song "devil's dance" "Deep down inside you know Seeds I plant will grow into trees."

do ya see it now? i agree woth what ya said abotu not saying "a metallica sogn says..." but, you still could say "there is a quote that says..."

If you state a quote you need to also state it's source, that's the only problem with that. And if you don't state the source, then they are probably going to ask you what it's from.

Originally posted by Setheus+May 24 2005, 03:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Setheus @ May 24 2005, 03:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Franken@May 24 2005, 02:45 PM

I think the best thing to do when approached with that kind of question by a non member friend, why are we so strict would be to think WWJD.

<span style='color:blue'>First of all, the LDS church has already given us the eternal answer to the question "WWJD"? That answer is "CTR".

And another good point to mention is while the world was still trying to figure out "WWJD", the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints had been teaching "CTR" for decades. This, I think is just a small token or sign that the Church is inspired. The world seeks to ask questions the Church of the First born has already answered to those who would heed His gospel.

Perhaps you guys missed the answer while you were bickering. Read above. :)

Originally posted by Setheus+May 25 2005, 07:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Setheus @ May 25 2005, 07:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Setheus@May 24 2005, 03:03 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Franken@May 24 2005, 02:45 PM

Perhaps you guys missed the answer while you were bickering. Read above. :)

We're enjoying our bickering

Yes I agree with Spencer for all that we do for him the reward is greater than any other, im 13 and i dress modestly and dont have a boyfriend! Kids pick on me @ school for that I dont care the lord is more imporant to me. In time my faith will pay off.

-heather

P.S. MISS YOU DELL!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by Dell@May 22 2005, 10:26 AM

One of my friends at school asked why the mormon religion is so strict please help me explain

Strict in what way?

Strict as opposed to what other religions? Islam? Catholicism? Protestant Christianity? Buddhism? Taoism? Hinduism?

All of the above are very strict religions...it just depends what parts of the religion you are looking at.