Words or phrases you dislike

Mahone

I'd never heard "decadent" used in any other context, so I can't really be called a lemming. I read it last week in a book, though, and I thought of this post...lol.

Me either, actually. But I looked it up, and the def. says:

dec·a·dent [dékəd'nt] adj

1. in decline: undergoing a process of decline or decay, especially in morals

2. immoral: showing uninhibitedly or immorally self-indulgent behavior

The only way I can see it being connected, is like its so yummy, you are indulging in some imoral pleasure, lol. But the way they use it in context, you would swear they were using to to describe the chocolate's looks, like "delightfully decorated", "fancy" or "classy and elaborate". Of course, its mostly just our assumptions, but still, lol

Edited by Melissa569

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never heard "decadent" used in any other context, so I can't really be called a lemming. I read it last week in a book, though, and I thought of this post...lol.

Me either, actually. But I looked it up, and the def. says:

dec·a·dent [dékəd'nt] adj

1. in decline: undergoing a process of decline or decay, especially in morals

2. immoral: showing uninhibitedly or immorally self-indulgent behavior

The only way I can see it being connected, is like its so yummy, you are indulging in some imoral pleasure, lol. But the way they use it in context, you would swear they were using to to describe the chocolate's looks, like "delightfully decorated", "fancy" or "classy and elaborate". Of course, its mostly just our assumptions, but still, lol

Seen the Commercial.

I took it to be saying that because it was so sensual. . .

"Do it if it feels good" kind of thing. . .

Therefore "Decadent":o

In "Today Speak" Decadent = Fun:D

i hate when you ask someone "whould you mind doing this for me?" and they say "sure"the proper response in that instance would be "no, not at all" or "no, i dont mind a bit"

and if you do mind you would say "yes actuly, i do"

my best friend once asked me if i minded doing her a favor, and i said "no, not at all" and she said "i didn't realy expect you would, just figered it wouldn't hurt to ask." to which i responded "I just said i DONT mind. as in yes i will go out of my way to help you, cuz i'm not doing anything right now anyway."

Taxes :o

Liberals :P

(Yeah, well, we just sent off election ballots. What to you expect?)

Okay, let's see -

Non-words, such as "expecially" and "irregardless"

Hearing temple garments referred to as "garmies"

Commonly used by LDS in talks and lessons, "I challenge you."

Evangelical expression of having a "burden" for something.

A saying my mother used with us kids when she wanted something done. "Your arms aren't painted on!" Actually she still uses it with us (and we're all the age of grandparents now) and it's still annoying.

Edited by Zechariah

okay, I thought of some...or were reminded of them...anyway,

ATF fluid....

ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid...So when you read the bottle you're reading Automatic Transmission Fluid....fluid....

I had no idea automatic transmission fluid needed its own fluid...and I'm a mechanic.

Hot Water Heater....

If the water's already hot...does it still need to be heated???

Fat Chance vs. Slim Chance

Don't they mean the same thing?

"in my life"

I've had so many experiences in my life...

Is that to clarify that your experiences were in YOUR life as opposed to your experiences in Eva Peron's life? or maybe in your life as opposed to in your death?

People say it because they think it makes them sound intelligent but it makes them sound just the opposite.

"in my life"

I've had so many experiences in my life...

Is that to clarify that your experiences were in YOUR life as opposed to your experiences in Eva Peron's life? or maybe in your life as opposed to in your death?

People say it because they think it makes them sound intelligent but it makes them sound just the opposite.

Well if they suffer from multiple personalities it just might be. :P

ATF fluid....

ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid...So when you read the bottle you're reading Automatic Transmission Fluid....fluid....

I had no idea automatic transmission fluid needed its own fluid...and I'm a mechanic.

You forgot ATM Machine (Autmated Teller Machine Machine) and PIN Number (Personal Identification Number Number).

After reading RipplecutBuddha's post, I was going to mention ATM Machine as well. Though I admit I'm guilty of using PIN Number.

A recent one of mine is "chillax" - dunno how this got into usage by anyone above the age of 10 lol.

I also dislike it when people say "I'll give 150%" - hmmm, how is that possible?

Lol, so what words or phrases do you dislike?

My daughter use Chillax on me once lol and ummm only once :P

Mine is...As if ! If its used in our house They owe me $10.00

When someone unfamiliar with the LDS Church hears LDS people talking about 'taking out their endowments', there most likely will be some trepidation regarding whether they will do right then or wait for the privacy of their own home.

FYI it is NOT Taking Out. It is receiving. Those who are new to LDS ways are the ones who say taking out. You take out the trash, you get take out chinese food.

Endowment is a gift- a precious gift from God. You RECEIVE your endowment (gift).

i hate when you ask someone "whould you mind doing this for me?" and they say "sure"the proper response in that instance would be "no, not at all" or "no, i dont mind a bit"

and if you do mind you would say "yes actuly, i do"

my best friend once asked me if i minded doing her a favor, and i said "no, not at all" and she said "i didn't realy expect you would, just figered it wouldn't hurt to ask." to which i responded "I just said i DONT mind. as in yes i will go out of my way to help you, cuz i'm not doing anything right now anyway."

Don't know if I already mentioned this, but it reminded me of "I could care less", when in fact they mean I couldn't care less. If you could care less, it means it bothers you. Amazing how many people I've seen use it this way.

FYI it is NOT Taking Out. It is receiving. Those who are new to LDS ways are the ones who say taking out. You take out the trash, you get take out chinese food.

Endowment is a gift- a precious gift from God. You RECEIVE your endowment (gift).

I would disagree. It's just semantics I guess, but I would say taking out means to obtain. It depends on how you use it of course, but if you take out an object from a bag, you have taken that object into your hand and you have obtained it. Either way of saying you have received your endowment is correct.

There are also some people who say there is no such thing as "free agency", that agency is never free (there is always a cost), therefore it is just agency. But that isn't what the word free in "free agency" is intended to mean.