Does Anyone Have Any Good Line?

hfavaron

hfavaron,

We all have family histories. Some people have an easier time finding their ancestors than others.

President Joseph Smith associated family history and temple work with love for mankind. :)

In 1894 members of the church were instructed in the sacred role of family history work when President Wilford Woodruff declared, "We want the Latter day Saints from this time to trace their genealogies as far as they can, and to be sealed to their fathers and mothers. Have children sealed to their parents, and run this chain through as far as you can get it ... so that temple ordinances can be performed in behalf of deceased ancestors who did not have the opportunity to hear the restored gospel during mortal life..."

When persons die we are taught that their spirit continues living in the postmortal spirit world and are capable of making choices, called agency.

If the spirit doesn't accept the church of Jesus Christ and baptism ... then it is of no effect. The same is true of the other saving ordinances that members perform in the temples in behalf of the dead.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have four family history books that may have information someone is looking for. Here are the names:

Christen and Boletta Christensen and descendants

Jens Christensen and Anne Jensen

Barrett

George Lawrence

I don't have dates and more specific identifyers for these right now, I will add them later. If anyone is looking for these lines, send me a message and maybe I can help.

• 2 months later...

I have been working on my family history long before I became a member of the church. I have always thought just my Dad's side of the family was big but I was wrong. I am finding out that my Mom's side of the family is just as big if not bigger and more confusing.

So far, I am able to go back to at least the early 1800's on my Dad's side.. (I am lacking middle names or initials for a few family members) and on my Mom's side, I'm back to almost the late 1500's.

Once I get started, I don't want to stop. hehehe.

Guest tomk

Sorry to side-track things, but I have some questions prompted by this thread.

1) Is it true that people have traced their history back to Adam? Is this really possible with our current records and technology?

How does the Flood figure-in. I guess the goal is to get back to Noah? For a lot of family lines would seem to have been extinguished.

2) For those of you who have gotten real deep into genealogy -- I would imagine that having done so has helped you with your scripture study / gospel study. I would assume, by it's nature, that genealogical research requires one to develop their "detective" skills and their questioning skills; who, what, where, when, how, etc. Digging below the surface level. Learning how to ask and receive personal revelation (to help with the search).

Sorry to side-track things, but I have some questions prompted by this thread.

1) Is it true that people have traced their history back to Adam? Is this really possible with our current records and technology?

How does the Flood figure-in. I guess the goal is to get back to Noah? For a lot of family lines would seem to have been extinguished. In my own opinion I really question their data. Especially when they just start on their genealogy and within a few years have it traced to Adam (know one sister who claims this- she got ALL of her information off the internet!)

2) For those of you who have gotten real deep into genealogy -- I would imagine that having done so has helped you with your scripture study / gospel study. I would assume, by it's nature, that genealogical research requires one to develop their "detective" skills and their questioning skills; who, what, where, when, how, etc. Digging below the surface level. Learning how to ask and receive personal revelation (to help with the search).

It didn't help me with gospel study or scripture study- and YES you must develop "detective skills". Most of my extended family are non-LDS. The four that I have been working with are: Atheist, Salvation Army. Baptist and LDS. The Baptist withdrew helping me when she found out I was LDS. The other two increased the volume of data they were dispensing out to me when they found out. The Atheist has given me written permission to do the proxy work on his deceased kin! The Salvation Army-ist has asked that I not do any of the work for anyone within 4 generations of her.

In doing my genealogy I have "dug up" more living relatives than I ever imagined having, and mostly from just one branch of the family. To my joy one on Mom's side is the Mormon and she has been doing the work for her peoples, the McKay's. I always wondered who had been doing them. She gave me a copy of her gedcom and with that I was able to update and correct my data file.

She also had information on a small branch that I had hit a brick wall on. When we combined information it was like seeing a puzzle coming together! She went and did the proxy work for that family while she and her husband were on a Service Mission (genealogy mission) in Arkansas!

Five years ago I found a query on Ancestry.com- This person has placed a request on one of the name boards. It had my ancestors data so I responded. Within three emails we discovered that yes, we were related. This woman married into the family, had two children and then divorced. The father died, and his step-family refused to include his children in their lives. They also refused to release to his children his biological mother's belongings: letters, family bible, pictures, and diaries.

I am her sons 2nd cousin once removed. From her emails I was able to put together a time line for her son to help him gather information regarding his grandmothers family.I was also able to connect them with a closer cousin and she introduced them to the Family, both living and dead!

Once you have the time line done- you need to add world events too. To help give you a rounder picture of what was going on in their lives. Thus you need to know about World events. Putting in current events for the area where they lived helps a lot too.

The thing I find interesting is those that claim to have traced their ancestry back to Adam and consider themselves "done." How could you EVER be done with all the different lines that can branch off from just one person. You are NEVER done.

The thing I find interesting is those that claim to have traced their ancestry back to Adam and consider themselves "done." How could you EVER be done with all the different lines that can branch off from just one person. You are NEVER done.

So true! We thought my Paternal Great Grandparents only had 5 children. We did the work for them, then I found a letter from one of the brothers and found out that there had been three more sons born to them.

Also found out that the 5 original children had way more children than we originally thought.

Going backward to the ancestors is really difficult because they were all born in Norway and were not born in the town they sailed from. They all chose different surnames too.

Right now the only doors that seem to be opening for me are the ones regarding my Mothers side of the family. My atheist cousin has traced that line back to England, Scotland and Wales to the year 1213. He won't send me the information until he has the actual proof in his hands. In 2003 he went to England and got the proof. He not only sent me copies he sent me photos of the parish houses and the homes where our ancestors lived and were born in. Part of that line branches off to France too- but he really isn't ready to go there. For one he doesn't speak french and for another he still has more kin to find in the British Isles. He is saving France for when his neice turns 20. She has been taking french and studying up on it. She is a budding Genealogist, and hopefully will be his student and heir to his works.

I have did extensive research on my mainly Scottish lines.I have traced back with certainty to

the 1600's on a few lines.

I don't believe people who say they have traced back to Adam-just not possible unless they have access to records unknown to anybody else.

Events are not always recorded nor do all the records survive.

I would say searching does put you in tune with the Spirit.I have found things just by looking

at things places who have no connection.I quite often speak to my ancestors & tell them if you want to be found give me a nudge.I look forward to meeting them & telling some of them off for hiding themselves.

Tip always identify people in your photos-there will not always be somebody around to name them.

i don't really have anything to contribute. but the title "good line" sounds like asking for a joke of some kind. this is kinda family history related. my mom was working on hers (which i guess is mine lol) and she ordered some birth and death certificates. on one of the great aunts certificates under cause of death it says "dropped dead in the kitchen". lol

So true! We thought my Paternal Great Grandparents only had 5 children. We did the work for them, then I found a letter from one of the brothers and found out that there had been three more sons born to them.

Also found out that the 5 original children had way more children than we originally thought.

Going backward to the ancestors is really difficult because they were all born in Norway and were not born in the town they sailed from. They all chose different surnames too.

Right now the only doors that seem to be opening for me are the ones regarding my Mothers side of the family. My atheist cousin has traced that line back to England, Scotland and Wales to the year 1213. He won't send me the information until he has the actual proof in his hands. In 2003 he went to England and got the proof. He not only sent me copies he sent me photos of the parish houses and the homes where our ancestors lived and were born in. Part of that line branches off to France too- but he really isn't ready to go there. For one he doesn't speak french and for another he still has more kin to find in the British Isles. He is saving France for when his neice turns 20. She has been taking french and studying up on it. She is a budding Genealogist, and hopefully will be his student and heir to his works.

Wow that's awesome that you have that kind of information and that much of it. Wow again.

One thing I have always considered interesting in my own family history...was the place of burial for one. Just says.."somewhere on the plains."