Relying on the Spirit

I've been studying Preach my Gospel and i came to the Recognizing the spirit section and that has been extremely good for me because thats what im trying to learn. anyway then i came to relying on the spirit, and i realized how hard that is or can be even without realizing it or thinking that you are. i think in the world today we hold ourselves back so much with so many people and put up a wall or sheild so to speak against things that we sometimes ourselves dont even see it. and i've come to realize i've even had that in my relationship with Our Savior, i looked up the word Rely in the Dictionary and i came up with: Depend on with full trust of confidence, to be Dependent on.

i realized that i haven't been doing that and at the times the spirit tries to talk to me I'm the one blocking that communication, the Lord isn't its not a punishment or anything, its just me putting up an invisible barrier that i didn't know i was building. so i've came up with a goal, i realize i rely on my friends, on my family, as i should the spirit, when a member of my family says they will pick me up at a certain time. i depend on that i rely on that. an example as simple as that. we know that person is coming to pick us up, we have confidence they're coming. it should be that real, that easy and simple relying on the spirt. : ) i dunno i just kind of realized this for myself and it is a tough goal to work on for me, but i'll accomplish it through prayer and opening my heart and trust a little wider than i knew i could :)

what are your thoughts of Relying on the Spirit?

I like the dictionary definition.

I like this topic, too.

I think many people feel they are doing well in their pusuit to rely on the Spirit. But, the study of Moroni 7 tells us we probably have a long way to go.

Moroni 7 gives us some very direct advice and counsel on how to rely on the spirit.

I for one, think we feel it and follow its promptings alot more than we give credit for. Promptings can come in so many ways. Sometimes its just as simple as an impression, intuition, nudge, impulse or gut feeling that we pass off as instinct or our own thoughts and ideas. I especially think that people that have been brought up in the church, have had alot more of these promptings that are somewhat overlooked, simply for the fact that they have become so used to being in touch with their spiritual side, that its almost like a second nature.

I had a companion during my mission, that at the time we were companions he had been a member of the church just as long as I had been a missionary. The neat thing about him is that whenever he feels a spiritual prompting, it was so foreign to him, that he would recognise it as coming from the spirit almost immediately. I remember feeling somewhat frustrated that he always received so many promptings and I would think to myself "what about me!?". But then I realised that I received proptings just as much as him, but to me, it wasn't such 'foreign' feeling, I only had a litle harder time recognising that a lot of my 'cool ideas' were infact promptings as well.

Of course we need to be living the gospel and keeping the commandaments to be worthy of receiving these promptings. But I think that relying on the Spirit, and receiving its promptings can become something very 'natural' in our lives - almost like second nature!

It definately can, and that should be the goal of all.

Moroni 7:

16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.

17 But whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do evil, and believe not in Christ, and deny him, and serve not God, then ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of the devil; for after this manner doth the devil work, for he persuadeth no man to do good, no, not one; neither do his angels; neither do they who subject themselves unto him.

18 And now, my brethren, seeing that ye know the light by which ye may judge, which light is the light of Christ, see that ye do not judge wrongfully; for with that same judgment which ye judge ye shall also be judged.

19 Wherefore, I beseech of you, brethren, that ye should search diligently in the light of Christ that ye may know good from evil; and if ye will lay hold upon every good thing, and condemn it not, ye certainly will be a child of Christ.

20 And now, my brethren, how is it possible that ye can lay hold upon every good thing?

21 And now I come to that faith, of which I said I would speak; and I will tell you the way whereby ye may lay hold on every good thing.

22 For behold, God knowing all things, being from everlasting to everlasting, behold, he sent angels to minister unto the children of men, to make manifest concerning the coming of Christ; and in Christ there should come every good thing.

If it persuades us to believe in Christ then it is good and worth of our time. If it does not, then it is of the devil and given to us as a temptation to take our minds and hearts off of Christ.

This is virtually impossible for most people to do. But, it's what we must seek for.