Now only if they'd do this in every place of worship...

EruditioSalvatus

That would be bad. Because I use my cellphone to access the scriptures and all other reference books from lds.org in gospel doctrine and relief society that is held in a place of worship.

And possibly theaters, that'd be nice too...

masjid blocks cell phone signals

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless

communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as

amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act

prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with

the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under

the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The

manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including

advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless

transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in

violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out

in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as

high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year,

and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S.

government.

"Sorry , we couldn't call 911 and your husband died, but we can't have phone calls interrupting Transformers 2 "

If people aren't governing themselves, someone is always happy to do it for them. If they don't like it, they should have been turning off their phones before now.

"Sorry , we couldn't call 911 and your husband died, but we can't have phone calls interrupting Transformers 2 "

Man, to think of all those poor people who died in movie theaters before we had cell phones! ;)

One could possibly get around that by designing the building such that it very construction prevented penetration by such transmissions but it would most likely be prohibitively expensive and not worth the hassle.

It'd be very simple, actually. Just include enough metal in all the walls, and the roof, all connected together and grounded, so that the building acts as a Faraday cage.

It'd be very simple, actually. Just include enough metal in all the walls, and the roof, all connected together and grounded, so that the building acts as a Faraday cage.

I had a Faraday Cage in mind when I typed that actually, the possibly was mostly to do with the legal issue, not the engineering one.

Gee, don't theaters and churches have land lines? :idea:

Hospitals and other similar facilities are allowed to cut off wireless communication.

Yes a little over the top i admit. But I know of no hospitals in the US that do. But if they do they have legitimate reasons dealing with sensitive medical equipment.

I personally hate people gabbing on the cell phone in theaters as much as the next person. But don't like the idea of of theaters temperately "stealing" service that i pay for.

Some people work jobs were they are "on duty" at all times or need that contact line and this would essentially prohibit them from enjoying the movies.

That would be bad. Because I use my cellphone to access the scriptures and all other reference books from lds.org in gospel doctrine and relief society that is held in a place of worship.

Interesting point - but only the tip of an iceburg. It appears to me that cell phones are used in worship on a constant basis for many people that seem to believe that their very salvation is based on the thing.

The Traveler

Why is it that people are always ready and willing to eliminate choice even going as far as using the police power of government to do so?

It is the point of passing a law. So one segment of the population can force their morals on another segment.

The Traveler

Interesting point - but only the tip of an iceburg. It appears to me that cell phones are used in worship on a constant basis for many people that seem to believe that their very salvation is based on the thing.

The Traveler

I once had somebody tell me she couldn't be sure if when the house is burning down, her husband would save her before the cellphone... :D

A few observations:

Why is it that people are always ready and willing to eliminate choice even going as far as using the police power of government to do so?

I presume you refer to government's using its police power to limit the choice of private property owners to govern what happens on their own property?

2. A cell phone signal-blocking additive for paint is already in development, as are special panels that can be added to the interior of large spaces like movie theaters. These wouldn't violate the statute, because they are not electronic devices (look for the cell phone companies to raise a holy stink about this when these products hit the market.)

3. Suggesting that a 1934 statute should be applied to cell phones is a tenuous argument at best. The statute was designed primarily to address the problem of at-sea communications. In those days, a steamship's radio was manufactured by one of several competing companies (e.g. Marconi, Telefunken, DeForest) and those companies also provided the radio operator. The rivalry between those companies was pretty intense, and the operators were known to intentionally jam the signals of their competitors--not to exercise control over their own property, abate a nuisance, or as a desirable service to their customers; but purely in an attempt to eliminate competition.

If your Motorola were designed to block the signal from adjacent Nokias, it would be fair to apply the statute. But the issues here are completely different.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

"911" doesn't like you to use your cell phone to call, if there is a land line, because it longer to get info on your location, when they have to ask questions and the caller is hysterical.