Blessings based on obidence to law or D&C 130:20-21

Connie

D&C 130:20-21 states: There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated-- And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

So let's say you have this great blessing but don't know the law upon which it is based. Then you all the sudden lose that blessing. Does it necessarily follow that it means you are no longer living that law? When God revokes a blessing do you have no one to blame but yourself or could it be for a different reason? And is it possible to know what law a particular blessing is based on? I mean i know we have covenants so we know some of them but it just seems like sometimes we don't know exactly which law gives what blessing. Is it possible to know?

I think the gist of this scripture is that "when we desire a blessing of God..." it is based on obedience to a law.

God can and does grant any blessing He chooses whether a man is righteous or wicked.

This scripture is not meant to teach the only way a man can receive a blessing. Maybe your blessing was a gift. So, another possibility is that what the Lord has given He has taken away, and not necessarily based on anything you did or didn't do. But, if you desire it to return, this scripture tells you what you can do to get it back.

The passage you cite refers to one law, a universal law I think. If there was one law upon which all blessings were predicated what would that be?

I'm thinking:

You reap what you sow.

I think that we are "sowing, ever sowing" every moment of our lives. I don't think most of us even understand how or what we are sowing most of the time. It is a power that we understand very little about, IME.

If we look at the story of Job we learn that all the things he feared came upon him. I think from this we might learn that fear is powerful and can sow undesirable seeds. Our thoughts are perhaps more powerful than we give them credit for.

What blessing do you desire and what steps can you take to "sow the seeds" of that blessing?

D&C 130:20-21 states: There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated-- And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

So let's say you have this great blessing but don't know the law upon which it is based. Then you all the sudden lose that blessing. Does it necessarily follow that it means you are no longer living that law? When God revokes a blessing do you have no one to blame but yourself or could it be for a different reason? And is it possible to know what law a particular blessing is based on? I mean i know we have covenants so we know some of them but it just seems like sometimes we don't know exactly which law gives what blessing. Is it possible to know?

A few things to keep in mind. The blessings being spoken about are blessings from G-d, which are, by definition, eternal blessings. Many people confuse mortal benefits with eternal blessings. The two can be entirely unrelated.

The first principle of obedience is the principle of covenant. Without covenant and obedience to the covenant there can be no eternal blessing from G-d. It is not difficult to follow covenants in the restoration of the priesthood. There are 3 basic types of covenant blessings.

As an exercise one may want to review the covenant of baptism and explore the symbolic call to obedience and symbolic blessings and the meaning of those references. We learn of these things line upon line upon line and precept upon precept upon precept. So what does it mean to you to “remember him” so that you can “always have his spirit to be with you”.

The Traveler