Day 21 - Alma 26-31; D&C 81-84

Lessons Learned From Doctrine and Covenants 84
(Why we should read and study the Book of Mormon again and again)

Introductory Remarks: Doctrine and Covenants 84:43-53

This revelation was given to the Church in September 1832, just two and one-half years after the Church was organized.

In verses 43–44, the Lord declared:

"And I now give unto you a commandment to beware concerning yourselves, to give diligent heed to the words of eternal life.

"For you shall live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God." [D&C 84:43–44]
Verses 45 through 47 affirm the truth of the word of the Lord, and the enlightenment given to all by the Spirit, and the fact that all who hearken to the Spirit come unto God the Father. [D&C 84:45–48] Verse 48 then refers to the gospel covenant:

"And the Father teacheth him of the covenant which he has renewed and confirmed upon you, which is confirmed upon you for your sakes, and not for your sakes only, but for the sake of the whole world."
Verses 49 through 53 describe the sin and darkness of those who do not come to God and hearken to his voice. [D&C 84:49–53] The succeeding verses, 54 through 58, describe the circumstance of some early members of the Church:

"And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received—

"Which vanity and unbelief have brought the whole church under condemnation.

"And this condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion, even all.

"And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written—

"That they may bring forth fruit meet for their Father’s kingdom; otherwise there remaineth a scourge and judgment to be poured out upon the children of Zion." [D&C 84:54–58]

Elder Dallin H. Oaks, "‘Another Testament of Jesus Christ’," Ensign, Mar 1994, 60

This talk was delivered at a Church Educational System Satellite fireside originating at Brigham Young University on 6 June 1993.

Along with other General Authorities, I have a clear recollection of the General Authority temple meeting on 5 March 1987. For a year, President Benson had been stressing the reading of the Book of Mormon. Repeatedly he had quoted these verses from the Doctrine and Covenants, including the Lord’s statement that the Saints’ conduct had "brought the whole church under condemnation" (D&C 84:55).

In that temple meeting, President Benson reread those statements and declared, "This condemnation has not been lifted, nor will it be until we repent." He also repeated his declaration of a year earlier that "in our day the Lord has inspired His servant to reemphasize the Book of Mormon to get the Church out from under condemnation."

Along with others, I felt the impact of this declaration of condemnation. As I studied the subject, I was relieved to find that the serious consequences of this condemnation need not be permanent. The use of this term elsewhere in modern revelation suggests that it refers to a punishment or a penalty, not to a permanent banishment (see, for example, D&C 82:3). In fact, the words President Benson quoted invite the Saints to repent of their deficiencies so the condemnation can be removed.

To understand why President Benson has exhorted us to reemphasize the Book of Mormon and why this is necessary to remove us from condemnation, we need to remember the major theme of that book.
In his many messages about the Book of Mormon, President Benson has taught us that the major significance of the Book of Mormon is its witness of Jesus Christ as the Only Begotten Son of God the Eternal Father, who redeems and saves us from death and sin. Of related and equal importance is its explanation of our Savior’s atonement, which is the most fundamental doctrine of our faith.

In the General Authority meeting I mentioned earlier, President Benson distributed some materials to assist us in carrying his Book of Mormon message throughout the world. Included in that distribution were copies of his April 1975 general conference talk titled "The Book of Mormon Is the Word of God." I underlined these words from that important talk:

"Now, we have not been using the Book of Mormon as we should. Our homes are not as strong unless we are using it to bring our children to Christ. … Social, ethical, cultural, or educational converts will not survive under the heat of the day unless their taproots go down to the fulness of the gospel which the Book of Mormon contains" (Ensign, May 1975, p. 65).

President Benson has frequently reminded us of the Prophet Joseph Smith’s declaration that the Book of Mormon is "the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book" (History of the Church, 4:461). In a landmark address during the first year of his service as President of the Church, President Benson explained these two ways in which the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion.

"The Book of Mormon is the keystone in our witness of Jesus Christ, who is Himself the cornerstone of everything we do. … Its testimony of the Master is clear, undiluted, and full of power. …
"The Book of Mormon is also the keystone of the doctrine of the Resurrection" (Ensign, Nov. 1986, pp. 5–6).

Note that both of these ways in which the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion focus on our relationship to Christ—our witness of him and our testimony of his atonement and resurrection.

In his conference address in October 1981, President Benson, then President of the Quorum of the Twelve, emphasized that the "major purpose" of the record that became the Book of Mormon "is to convince a later generation that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God" (Ensign, Nov. 1981, p. 61). Two years after he became President of the Church, he repeated that characterization in a marvelous talk titled "Come unto Christ." There he declared that "the major mission of the Book of Mormon … is ‘to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ’ " (Ensign, Nov. 1987, p. 83). Edited by KeithLBrown

Alma 26:4 thousands of them…have been brought into the fold of God

Conversion by the thousands seems incredible to modern day missionaries. But the Lord is capable of greater things than we can comprehend. A few instances in which thousands were gathered at once are given:

1) On the day of Pentecost, those who had heard the word were invited to repent and be baptized, and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls (Acts 2:41)

2) The success of the early brethren in Great Britain was astounding. By April of 1838 Heber C. Kimball had converted 1500:

“‘The other brethren also met with remarkable success. The field was ripe, ready for the harvest, and thousands of the House of Israel were soon gathered into the fold.’ By 1841, Elder Kimball with other members of the Quorum of the Twelve reported seven or eight or ten thousand persons being baptized. ‘Of the converts made by the eight members of the Twelve during the years 1840 to 1841 few apostatized.’ During the years 1840 to 1846, British converts sailed from England bound for Nauvoo. ‘This was the beginning of a migration movement of such magnitude that the Church in America became predominantly English for the next fifty years.’” (Regional Studies in LDS History: British Isles, p. 107)

3) George Q. Cannon reaped a similar harvest on his mission to Hawaii:

Heber J. Grant

“During the few years he (George Q. Cannon) was there he translated the Book of Mormon into the Hawaiian language, and he baptized over 3,000 natives. I have never been among a people that seemed to me to be more sincere, to have a greater love for each other and for the Gospel, and a greater reverence for those who hold places of honor in the Church of Christ than I met on our recent visit to Hawaii.” (Conference Report, Oct. 1935

I got to thinking about this. Amazing how many were converted. For the modern day missionary that may only get 1 or 2 baptisms during their mission: How great is that 1 or 2? Wonderful!!!!! Should you think that your mission was a failure because of that? I don't the the 1 or 2 that you baptized would begin to think so.

Edited by pam

Alma 26:11 I do not boast in my own strength

Bruce R. McConkie

“Boasting is of two kinds: either righteous, or unrighteous; either in the arm of flesh, or in the Lord and his gracious goodness and power. ‘He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord,’ Paul said in summing up a sermon on boasting, ‘For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth.’ (2 Cor. 10:7-18; Ps. 44:8.) Ammon spoke similarly: ‘I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things. Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord?’ (Alma 26:8-16, 35.)

“Boasting in the arm of flesh, one of the commonest of all sins among worldly people, is a gross evil; it is a sin born of pride, a sin that creates a frame of mind which keeps men from turning to the Lord and accepting his saving grace. When a man engages in self exultation because of his riches, his political power, his worldly learning, his physical prowess, his business acumen, or even his works of righteousness, he is not in tune with the Spirit of the Lord. Salvation itself comes by the grace of God, ‘Not of works,’ that is not of the performances and outward display of the law, ‘lest any man should boast.’ (Eph. 2:4-22; Rom. 3:27.) As King Benjamin asked, after explaining the goodness of God and the comparative nothingness of men, ‘Of what have ye to boast?’ (Mosiah 2: 17-26.)

“Even when the righteous glory in the Lord, certain very definite restrictions attend their godly boasting. The elders are to proclaim against evil spirits, but ‘Not with railing accusation, that ye be not overcome, neither with boasting nor rejoicing, lest you be seized therewith.’ (D. & C. 50:32-33.) Spiritual gifts are poured out abundantly upon the true saints. ‘But a commandment I give unto them,’ the Lord says, ‘that they shall not boast themselves of these things, neither speak them before the world; for these things are given unto you for your profit and for salvation.’ (D. & C. 84:73.) ‘Talk not of judgments, neither boast of faith nor of mighty works.’ (D. & C. 105:24.)” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 93)

Alma Chapter 26:16

One of the things that Ammon says in this verse really caught my attention. "Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord?"

Ammon was very wise.

Alma 26:27 Now when our hearts were depressed…the Lord comforted us

It is only after their 14-year journey, that we learn from Ammon how downtrodden they were prior to beginning their mission. Alone, out in the wilderness, away from home and family, they might have wondered if they were wasting their time. The words of their detractors may have come rushing back into their minds. Certainly, they had reason to think they were going to fail. They even had thought of turning back.

Interestingly, the Lord often allows us to sink pretty low before he comforts us. So it was with the Prophet in Liberty Jail (DC 121), so it was with Ammon and company, and so it is with us in our trials. Yet, the Lord is always there to pick us up when we cannot go any further. The author had an experience which demonstrates the Lord’s great mercy for his depressed and downtrodden servants.

As a missionary in the Orient, I was serving in a recently opened rural community. In this town, things shut down quite early. Late on a cold January night, it was too late to knock on doors, so we walked the streets without anywhere to go, without anyone to teach. My companion was a greenie, and it was my intent to set an example to him that every hour of proselyting time should be used wisely. But I was too tired to go on. The work had been slow and the strain on me mentally, physically, and spiritually had been all I could endure. Just as my strength was beginning to fail, the Spirit whispered, “the Father knows how to give good gifts to his children (Matt 7:11).” At that instant, I looked to my left where I saw an old investigator working behind the counter in his store. He invited us into his store, where he and a friend had been talking. We began discussing religion with his friend and were able to give him a Book of Mormon. I was so relieved that we had a place to go and that the Lord had not forgotten us. This may seem to have been a small blessing, but it wasn’t to me. It was a gift from God! I have ever been grateful for the warmth and comfort that filled my heart on that cold January night.

Ezra Taft Benson

“There are times when you simply have to righteously hang on and outlast the devil until his depressive spirit leaves you. As the Lord told the Prophet Joseph Smith: ‘thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if you endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high’ (DC 121:7-8). To press on in noble endeavors, even while surrounded by a cloud of depression, will eventually bring you out on top into the sunshine.” (Ensign, Nov. 1974 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 290)

Jeffrey R. Holland

“[An experience of Gordon B. Hinckley on his mission to England] “Elder Hinckley found some of that discouragement common to missionaries facing new circumstances in a new land. He was not well physically, and as he went to his first street meeting…he recalls: ‘I was terrified. I stepped up on that little stand and looked at that crowd of people that had gathered… They looked rather menacing and mean, but I somehow stumbled through whatever I had to say.’ Down in spirit and facing no success in missionary endeavors, Gordon wrote a letter to his father, saying: ‘I am wasting my time and your money. I don’t see any point in my staying here.’ In due course a gentle but terse reply came from his father. That letter read: ‘Dear Gordon. I have your letter [of such and such a date]. I have only one suggestion. Forget yourself and go to work, With love, Your Father.’ President Hinckley says of that moment, ‘I pondered his response and then the next morning in our scripture class we read that great statement of the Lord: ‘For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it’ (Mark 8:35). That simple statement, that promise, touched me. I got on my knees and made a covenant with the Lord that I would try to forget myself and go to work.’” (Ensign, June 1995, p. 8 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 290-1)

Alma 27:4 they were treated as though they were angels sent from God

Missionaries are wingless, mortal angels who are sent from God just as literally as those who abide with Him in his royal courts above. Many pray for an angelic visitation, and get a home teaching visit instead. The Lord doesn’t need to send angels to do things that his mortal servants are capable of doing for him. He doesn’t need to send angels with trumpets to declare salvation to the wicked of the world. Rather, he uses Mormon missionaries to do this for him. Elder Robert L. Simpson tells a story of how one man was visited by this kind of angel:

“[Elder Simpson] described an Englishman working in his flower bed on a Saturday morning. A voice from behind asked him: ‘Sir, do you love the Lord?’ The man turned around, ‘fully expecting to see an angel standing there; instead there were two angels, two Mormon missionaries,’ said Elder Simpson. ‘It was all so simple, so genuine. It was an approach that the Savior might have used.’” (Church News, 4/15/84)

Alma 28:4-6 there was a great mourning and lamentation heard throughout all the land

The pain of losing a loved one is understood only by those who have experienced it. Without the gospel of Jesus Christ, such a tragedy is truly devastating. Without the message of salvation, death is a final, tragic separation. Only through the Atonement is this pain lessened. Mormon states that amidst the sorrow of the Nephites, their only joy was because of the light of Christ unto life (v. 14).

LeGrand Richards

“In an interview the author had with a prominent minister, the minister admitted that his church held out no hopes of the reuniting of family ties beyond the grave. Then he added: ‘But in my heart I find stubborn objections. Take for instance the kitten. When you take it away from the cat, in a few days the mother cat has forgotten all about it. Take the calf away from the cow and in a few days the cow has forgotten all about the calf. But when you take a child away from his mother, though she lives to be a hundred years old, she never forgets the child of her bosom. I find it difficult to believe that God created such love to perish in the grave.’” (A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, p. 198)

Joseph Smith

“More painful to me are the thoughts of annihilation than death. If I have no expectation of seeing my father, mother, brothers, sisters and friends again, my heart would burst in a moment, and I should go down to my grave. The expectation of seeing my friends in the morning of the resurrection cheers my soul and makes me bear up against the evils of life. It is like their taking a long journey, and on their return we meet them with increased joy.” (Teachings, p. 296 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 292)

Joseph F. Smith

“I rejoice that I am born to live, to die, and to live again. I thank God for this intelligence. It gives me joy and peace that the world cannot give, neither can the world take it away. God has revealed this to me, in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know it to be true. Therefore I have nothing to be sad over, nothing to make me sorrowful...

“On the contrary, it is cause for joy unspeakable, and for pure happiness. I cannot express the joy I feel at the thought of meeting my father, and my precious mother, who gave me birth in the midst of persecution and poverty, who bore me in her arms and was patient, forbearing, tender and true during all my helpless moments in the world. The thought of meeting her, who can express the joy? The thought of meeting my children who have preceded me beyond the veil, and of meeting my kindred and my friends, what happiness it affords! For I know that I shall meet them there. God has shown me that this is true. (Conference Report, Oct. 1899, pp. 70-71)

Russell M. Nelson

“Our limited perspective would be enlarged if we could witness the reunion on the other side of the veil, when doors of death open to those returning home…We need not look upon death as an enemy…I know by experiences too sacred to relate that those who have gone before are not strangers to leaders of this Church. To us and to you, our loved ones may be just as close as the next room—separated only by the doors of death.” (Ensign, May 1992, pp. 72-3 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 292)

Alma 29:8 the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word

Orson F. Whitney

“Many beautiful lessons might be drawn from this passage (Alma 29:1-9) of scripture, but I have only time to dwell upon one. It tells me that Providence is over all, and that he holds the nations in the hollow of his hand; that he is using not only his covenant people, but other peoples as well, to consummate a work, stupendous, magnificent, and altogether too arduous for this little handful of Saints to accomplish by and of themselves. Alma seems to have thought, for the moment, that man was doing God's work for him, instead of which it is God, who is doing his own work, and using men as his instruments. Nor is he limited in the choice of instruments to his own people. He sways the scepter over all nations, and they are all playing into his hands, knowingly or unknowingly. Alma knew this, but had momentarily lost sight of it.

“All down the ages men bearing the authority of the Holy Priesthood -- patriarchs, prophets, apostles and others, have officiated in the name of the Lord, doing the things that he required of them; and outside the pale of their activities other good and great men, not bearing the Priesthood, but possessing profundity of thought, great wisdom, and a desire to uplift their fellows, have been sent by the Almighty into many nations, to give them, not the fulness of the Gospel, but that portion of truth that they were able to receive and wisely use. Such men as Confucius, the Chinese philosopher; Zoroaster, the Persian sage; Gautama or Buddha, of the Hindus; Socrates and Plato, of the Greeks; these all had some of the light that is universally diffused, and concerning which we have this day heard. They were servants of the Lord in a lesser sense, and were sent to those pagan or heathen nations to give them the measure of truth that a wise Providence had allotted to them.” (Conference Report, Apr. 1921, pp. 32-33)

Heber J. Grant

“Perhaps there is no other passage, no single chapter, in all the Book of Mormon, that I have preached from as often as I have from that twenty-ninth chapter of Alma…I commend to all Latter-day Saints when the conference pamphlet is published, to read what Elder Orson F. Whitney said about the inspiration of God being given to men in all parts of the world. We endorse his remarks.” (Conference Report, Apr. 1921, p. 202-3)

Joseph Fielding Smith

“In this present glorious dispensation, in which all things are to be gathered in one, and the work of the Lord, eventually, to be consummated so far as the salvation of men is concerned, the Lord has placed within our power the means by which the voice may be carried forth to all parts of the earth; not in a manner to shake the earth, but in a manner that the message of salvation may be proclaimed to the thousands, perhaps millions, scattered on all the face of the earth. In the days of Alma such powers were not available to the preachers of the plan of eternal life, and they were to be content with the things which the Lord allotted unto them, but in this day these means have, by the grace of God, been placed at our disposal.” (The Restoration of All Things, p. 6)

Elder Charles A. Callis

“The Prophet Joseph Smith was only 25 years of age when the translation of this book was completed. How did he know that the gospel was to be preached unto every nation, in their own tongue? How did he know, except by the spirit of revelation, that you Latter-day Saints would raise up sons unto the Lord who would be instructed in foreign languages and, leaving their mountain home, would go forth and preach the gospel in Germany, Russia, Scandinavia, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and on the isles of the

Alma 30:6 he was Anti-Christ

“Here we find an interesting definition of an anti-Christ: one who defies and denies the prophecies concerning the coming of Christ. This definition would, of course, pertain primarily to those who lived before the meridian of time. In our day we would speak of an anti-Christ as one who denies the divine birth of Jesus; who downplays the significance of his teachings; who claims that Jesus' sufferings, death, and resurrection have no significance for mankind. Many in this dispensation have been seduced into the damnable heresy that Jesus was merely a good man, a brilliant speaker, and a loving and tender example of mercy and forgiveness--these things alone. The restored gospel--especially as made known through the Book of Mormon--testifies that Jesus Christ was and is divine, that he is God.” (McConkie and Millet, Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, vol. 3, p. 201)

Oh how I love the words of Alma when speaking to Korihor.

Alma 30:34 And now, if we do not receive anything for our labors in the church, what doeth it profit us to labor in the church save it were to declare the truth, that we may have rejoicings in the joy of our brethren?

Korihor required signs to show him there was a God. He lacked any kind of faith. He needed absolute proof.

It has made me think of comments made recently on the site and likening some to Korihor. After reading this chapter and learning more about the kind of person that Korihor really was..I find it hard to find anyone on the site to liken him to. Perhaps some don't know enough about Korihor to be able to make that kind of judgment.

Edited by pam

Alma 30:53 the devil…appeared unto me in the form of an angel

Joseph Fielding Smith

“There is no doubt about Satan having great power and that he can appear as an angel of light. In this form he appeared on the banks of the Susquehanna River to oppose the restoration of keys, and was detected by Michael, and his plans were thwarted. Jacob, son of Lehi, in his teachings, stated that if there had been no atonement, our spirits ‘…must have become like unto him [satan], and we become devils, angels to a devil, to be shut out from the presence of our God, and to remain with the father of lies, in misery, like unto himself; yea, to that being who beguiled our first parents, who transformeth himself nigh unto an angel of light, and stirreth up the children of men unto secret combinations of murder and all manner of secret works of darkness.’ Korihor, who tried to deceive the Nephites, admitted that Satan appeared to him as an angel and told him what to teach the people.” (Answers to Gospel Questions, vol. 1, p. 178)

Bruce R. McConkie

“Lucifer does not come personally to every false prophet, as he did to Korihor, any more than the Lord comes personally to every true prophet, as he did to Joseph Smith. Such an appearance--either of God on the one hand or of Satan on the other--is, however, the end result of full devotion to the respective causes involved. In each instance an earthly representative, by obedience to the laws that are ordained, may see the face of the master he serves." (Millennial Messiah, p. 72)

Wow I just can't get away from lds.net when reading. Now I am reading about Ram.

Alma Chapter 31: 21

Now the place was called by them Rameumptom, which being interpreted, is the holy stand.

:lol:

D&C 81:2 Unto whom I have given the keys of the kingdom, which belong always unto the Presidency of the High Priesthood:

Very powerful words by Joseph Fielding Smith:

May I now say—very plainly and very emphatically—that we have the holy priesthood and that the keys of the kingdom of God are here. They are found only in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

DC 84:2 for the restoration of his people… and for the gathering of his saint to stand upon Mount Zion

When we speak of the Restoration, we refer to the ministry of Joseph Smith. However, the ancient prophets often referred to the end result of Joseph’s ministry. They spoke of something more great and marvelous than what is transpiring in our day. Actually, the restitution of all things (Acts 3:21) is a Millennial concept not a latter-day one. Similarly, this scripture speaks of the restoration of the House of Israel to a status of greatness.

Figuratively, the Lord’s people have already been restored to the ancient covenant relationship. Figuratively, the saints have already been gathered. Figuratively, the saints can attend the temples and thereby “stand upon Mount Zion.” But the restoration of the tribes of Jacob to the lands of their inheritance still awaits. The gathering of the Lord’s righteous to two great cities, Jerusalem and New Jerusalem, has not yet occurred. Temples have been built but not the two most important ones—the New Jerusalem Temple and the Old Jerusalem Temple—must still be built.

DC 84:4 which temple shall be reared in this generation

The First Presidency

That the Lord requires from his people no more than that they shall exhaust all human means to obey the law is shown in the following quotations, which are from revelations given to the Church, the first on September 22-23, 1832 (D&C 84), and the latter January 19, 1841 (D&C 124), nine years later.

Revelation, September 22-23, 1832: (quotes D&C 84:1-5)

In this revelation the Lord definitely declares that a city and temple are to be built at Independence, Missouri, and that this was to be accomplished during the existing generation. Because of wicked persecutions the Church was obliged to leave the State of Missouri, which had been designated as the gathering place of the saints. Under orders signed by Lilburn W. Boggs, Governor of Missouri, twelve thousand members of the Church were compelled to abandon their homes and flee to the State of Illinois, where they established the city of Nauvoo.

As stated above, on January 19th, 1841, a revelation was given to the Church at Nauvoo, from which the following is copied:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, that when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name, and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform that work, and cease not their diligence, and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work, behold, it behooveth me to require that work no more at the hands of those sons of men, but to accept of their offerings.

And the iniquity and transgression of my holy laws and commandments I will visit upon the heads of those who hindered my work, unto the third and fourth generation, so long as they repent not, and hate me, saith the Lord God.

Therefore, for this cause have I accepted the offerings of those whom I commanded to build up a city and a house unto my name, in Jackson County, Missouri, and were hindered by their enemies, saith the Lord your God….

And this I make an example unto you, for your consolation concerning all those who have been commanded to do a work, and have been hindered by the hands of their enemies, and by oppression, saith the Lord your God." (Doctrine and Covenants, "D&C 124:49"D&C 124:50"D&C 124:51"D&C 124:52"D&C 124:53Sec. 124:49-53.)

(HEBER J. GRANT, ANTHONY W. IVINS, J. REUBEN CLARK, JR., First Presidency from Messages of the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, compiled by James R. Clark, (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1965-75), 5: 324.)

Bruce R. McConkie

It is perfectly clear that the New Jerusalem, crowned by the Holy Temple to which our Lord shall come, was destined to be built within the promised generation. The fact is that neither the city nor the temple yet graces Missouri's soil, and the generation is long since gone by. Why so? This is the foreshadowed case in which the Lord said he commanded and then revoked, and we are left to say naught except, Blessed be the name of the Lord. As to why he revoked, that is quite another thing. Could it be other than because his people did not climb the gospel heights that it was in their power to reach? Their faith was imperfect, as is ours, and their enemies drove them from their inheritance. It could have been otherwise had they, as ancient Israel did on occasions, persuaded the Lord to fight their battles. (A New Witness for the Articles of Faith [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1985], 601.)

• 2 weeks later...

Read this on 7/29.

Alma 25 – The Lamanites stop attacking the ANLs, instead attacking Zarahemla. The people of Ammonihah are destroyed. Nearly all the seed of Amulon and his fellow priests of Noah are killed. The remaining few take control of the Lamanites and put those who believe in the Gospel to death by fire. The Lamanites are angered and begin hunting and killing the Amulonites. Their deaths and their scattering fulfill Abinadi’s prophecy. Lamanite converts join the ANLs.

Alma 26 – Ammon praises God, attributing missionary success and his own strength to God. God strengthens and gives knowledge to the faithful. By faith, one person’s efforts can convert many. God is all-knowing and all-powerful.

Alma 27 – Amalekites stir up anger against ANLs again and attack them. The Lord commands Ammon to take the ANLs to Zarahemla. Ammon and his brothers meet Alma, whose joy exceeds his strength. The Nephite people welcome the ANLs, give them the land of Jershon to live in, and arrange their armies to protect them. The ANLs become known as the people of Ammon.

Alma 28 – The Nephites win a major battle against the Lamanites, in which tens of thousands die. The wicked face endless woe, while the righteous have never-ending happiness.

Alma 29 – Alma wishes he were an angel, with a voice to shake the earth and cry repentance to all, but describes this wish as sin, since he says he should be content with what God has set him to do. All nations will be granted teachers from among their own. Alma is joyful over the successes of the missionaries.

Alma 30 – Korihor preaches there will be no Christ, and that there is no God or law. He is brought to Ammon. Korihor is exiled, goes to the land of Gideon, and is taken to their high priest, Giddonah. Korihor claims the priests keep the people in bondage by teaching the Gospel and claims the priests are being supported by taxing the people. He is sent to Alma and the chief judge. Alma refutes Korihor’s allegations of priestcraft and bears his testimony. Korihor demands a sign. At Alma’s request, Korihor is struck dumb. He admits (in writing) to having been deceived by Satan. Remaining mute, he goes from house to house begging. He goes among the Zoramites, and ends up being trampled to death.

Section 81 – The keys of the kingdom are held by the First Presidency. The faithful will have eternal life.

Section 82 – Much is required of those to whom much has been given. Darkness reigns in the world. The Lord is bound when we obey Him. Zion must grow and become more holy and beautiful. We are to seek the interests of our neighbors.

Section 83 – Women and children have claim on their husbands/fathers for support. Widows and orphans have claim on the Church.

Section 84 – New Jerusalem and the Temple are to be built in Missouri. The responsibilities of the greater and lesser priesthood are described. Eternal life comes via the oath and covenant of the priesthood. The Spirit of Christ enlightens man. The world lies in sin. The Saints must testify and preach. The elders on missions are to go forth without purse or scrip and the Lord will provide their needs. There will be plagues and cursings on those who reject the Gospel. All are to stand in their own office and labor in their own calling. The Lord’s servants are to proclaim the abomination of desolation in the last days.

Abraham 1 – Abraham seeks the priesthood. Idolaters sacrifice their children. The priest of Pharaoh seeks to kill Abraham, who is rescued by God. The Lord smites the priest of Pharaoh and destroys the altar of Elkenah. There is a famine in Chaldea, and Abraham’s father Terah repents.

Abraham 2 – Abraham’s brother Haran (father of Lot) dies. Abraham marries Sarah, and his brother Nahor marries Haran’s daughter Milcah. Abraham takes his family out of Chaldea to Canaan. Terah returns to idolatry and chooses to stay in the land of Haran. Jehovah appears to Abraham and Lot. All Gospel blessings are promised to Abraham’s seed. They travel to Canaan. Abraham builds an altar and prays that his father’s house will be spared from the famine. They continue on to Egypt.