Day 22 - Alma 32-37; D&C 85-88; Abraham 2-4

Scriptural Guidance For Daily Living
Doctrine and Covenants 88

D&C 88:118 - "And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith."

D&C 88:123 - "See that ye love one another; cease to be coveteous; learn to impart one to another as the gospel requires."

D&C 88:124 - "Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated."

D&C 88:125 - "And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace."

Living by Scriptural Guidance

Russell M. Nelson, "Living by Scriptural Guidance," Ensign, Nov 2000, 16–18

We all need guidance through life. We obtain it best from the standard works and teachings of the prophets of God.

Once we understand why we need guidance and where we obtain it, we then ask, how can we achieve it? How can we truly live, not "by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God"?

We begin with a determination to "liken all scriptures unto us … for our profit and learning." If we "press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, … [we] shall have eternal life."

To feast means more than to taste. To feast means to savor. We savor the scriptures by studying them in a spirit of delightful discovery and faithful obedience. When we feast upon the words of Christ, they are embedded "in fleshy tables of the heart." They become an integral part of our nature.

Many years ago a medical colleague chastised me for failing to separate my professional knowledge from my religious convictions. That startled me because I did not feel that truth should be fractionalized. Truth is indivisible.

Danger lurks when we divide ourselves with expressions such as "my private life," "my professional life," or even "my best behavior." Living life in separate compartments can lead to internal conflict and exhausting tension. To escape that tension, many people unwisely resort to addicting substances, pleasure seeking, or self-indulgence, which in turn produce more tension, thus creating a vicious cycle.

Inner peace comes only as we maintain the integrity of truth in all aspects of our lives. When we covenant to follow the Lord and obey His commandments, we accept His standards in every thought, action, and deed.

Living the Lord’s standards requires that we cultivate the gift of the Holy Ghost. That gift helps us understand doctrine and apply it personally. Because truth given by revelation can only be understood by revelation, our studies need to be prayerful. Scriptures attest to the efficacy of prayer in daily life. One is in Proverbs: "In all thy ways acknowledge [God], and he shall direct thy paths." Another comes from the Book of Mormon: "Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good."

As you ponder and pray about doctrinal principles, the Holy Ghost will speak to your mind and your heart. From events portrayed in the scriptures, new insights will come and principles relevant to your situation will distill upon your heart.

You cultivate such revelatory experiences by living according to the light already given you and by searching the scriptures with pure motives—with real intent to "come unto Christ." As you do so, your confidence will "wax strong in the presence of God," and the Holy Ghost will be your constant companion.
Achieving scriptural guidance is aided by posing pertinent questions. You might ask, "What principle can be learned from these teachings of the Lord?" For example, scriptures teach that the Creation was accomplished in six periods of time. Principles learned from that study show that any great attainment requires proper planning, timing, patience, labor, and no shortcuts.

Alma 32:3 they were poor in heart

To be poor in heart is essentially the same as to be poor in spirit. The latter term is used in the Beatitudes, Blessed are the poor in spirit who come unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven (Matt 5:3). Therefore, the poor in heart are poor in spirit but not spiritually poor. The term “poor in spirit” means to be spiritually humble, to have a broken heart and a contrite spirit. As we learn from Alma 32, this humility and contrition often comes to those who are poor in material things. According to the doctrinal ironies of the gospel, the Lord has blessed them to receive the riches of eternity in a very literal sense. Hence they are to receive the kingdom of heaven. The D&C expresses the same concept as follows: ‘blessed are the poor who are pure in heart, whose hearts are broken, and whose spirits are contrite, for they shall see the kingdom of God coming in power and great glory unto their deliverance; for the fatness of the earth shall be theirs’ (DC 56:18).

Alma 33:4-11 when I did cry unto thee in my prayer…thou didst hear me

One of the most fundamental hurdles for an investigator is to believe that God hears and answers prayers. Some have prayed for years without realizing the power of personal revelation. In fact, every answered prayer is a little miracle because the power of God has been exercised on behalf of one of his children. Alma uses the example of Zenos to show that God will answer prayers offered in the most humble of circumstances, whether in the wilderness, field, house, closet, or congregation. We have many examples, personal and scriptural, of that same universal truth. That the Lord will answer prayers offered from any location is demonstrated in the sublime revelations given to the prophet Joseph Smith amidst the worst of conditions in Liberty Jail (DC 121-123).

Elder William J. Critchlow

“These souls can dial God in anytime, anyplace, in any circumstances by merely saying, ‘Our Father who art in heaven.’ And there will never be a busy line, never any interference, never a line out of order. God always hears and answers the prayers of the faithful.” (Conference Report, Apr. 1964, p. 31)

John Taylor

“Through some remarks already made I am reminded of my boyhood. At that early period of my life I learned to approach God. Many a time I have gone into the fields and concealing myself behind some bush, would bow before the Lord and call upon him to guide and direct me. And he heard my prayer. At times I would get other boys to accompany me. It would not hurt you, boys and girls, to call upon the Lord in your secret places, as I did. That was the spirit which I had when a little boy. And God has led me from one thing to another.” (Journal of Discourses, vol. 22, p. 315)

Harold B. Lee

“While I was attending a stake conference, I was to interview some of the prospective missionaries. Before one boy came to see me, the stake president said, ‘Now here is a boy that has just come through a serious experience. He is just out of the service. He suffered shell- shock in battle, and I think we need to talk pretty carefully to him and make certain that he is prepared to go.’

“So as I talked with the young man, I said, ‘Why do you want to go on this mission, son? Are you sure that you really want to go, after all the harrowing experiences you have had?’

“He sat thoughtfully for a few moments and then said, ‘Brother Lee, I had never been away from home when I went into the service, and when I got out into the camps, every waking hour I heard filthy, profane language. I found myself losing a certain pure-mindedness, and I sought God in prayer to give me the strength not to fall into that terrible habit. God heard my prayer and gave me strength. Then we went through the basic training, and I asked Him to give me physical strength to continue, and He did. He heard my prayer. As we moved up toward the fighting lines and I could hear the booming of the guns and the crackling of the rifles, I was afraid. Again I prayed to God to give me the courage to do the task that I was there to do and He heard my prayer and gave me courage.

"’When I was sent up with an advance patrol to search out the enemies and to send back for the reinforcements, telling them where to attack—and sometimes the enemy would almost hedge me around until I was cut off, and it seemed that there was no escape—I thought that surely my life would be taken. I asked for the only force of power to guide me safely back, and God heard me. Time and again through the most harrowing experiences He led me back. Now,’ he said, ‘I am back home. I have recovered, and I would like to give thanks to that power to which I prayed—God, our Heavenly Father.’” (Ye Are the Light of the World, chap. 13)

Gordon B. Hinckley

“Brethren and sisters, I know that you are a praying people. That is a wonderful thing in this day and time when the practice of prayer has slipped from many lives. To call upon the Lord for wisdom beyond our own, for strength to do what we ought to do, for comfort and consolation, and for the expression of gratitude is a significant and wonderful thing.” ("The Fabric of Faith and Testimony," Ensign, November 1995, p. 89.)

“Be prayerful. You can't do it alone. You know that. You cannot make it alone and do your best. You need the help of the Lord . . . and the marvelous thing is that you have the opportunity to pray, with the expectation that your prayers will be heard and answered. . . . The marvelous thing about prayer is that it is personal, it's individual, it's something that no one else gets into, in terms of your speaking with your Father in Heaven in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Be prayerful. Ask the Lord to forgive your sins. As the Lord for help. Ask the Lord to bless you. Ask the Lord to help you realize your righteous ambitions. . . . Ask the Lord for all of the important things that mean so much to you in your lives. He stands ready to help. Don't ever forget it.” (Colorado Springs Young Adult Meeting, April 14, 1996 as taken from The Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley)

Alma 34:17-27 humble yourselves, and continue in prayer unto him

Our world is full of problems which, in the eternal scheme of things, are insignificant. Yet, our day-to-day lives are filled with these insignificant problems and projects. Occasionally, church members worry that when they pray about these problems they are unnecessarily bothering the Lord. This attitude underestimates God’s love for his children. A general rule of thumb is that if a problem is big enough to bother you, it is not too small for the Lord’s attention.

Amulek’s advice helps us to understand that we can pray about all aspects of our lives, whether spiritual, temporal, and financial.

Marion G. Romney

“As there is no limitation as to when we should pray, so there seems to be no limitation as to where we should pray or what we should pray about. (Conference Report, Oct. 1944, pp. 55)

Joseph Fielding Smith

“(quoting Alma 34) I think that is very excellent doctrine, and I read it to impress upon your minds the season of prayer. The season of prayer is in the morning before the family separates. A good time for prayer is when you assemble at the table before you partake of the morning meal, and let the members of the family take turn in the praying. That is the season of prayer. The season of prayer for the merchant is in the morning when he goes to his place of business and before he begins his day's work, over his merchandise. The time of prayer for the shepherd, is when he is out with his flocks watching over them. The time for the farmer to pray is when he goes with his plow into the field, when he goes to sow his grain, and when he goes to gather his harvest. And if a man will pray as he is commanded to do in this passage of scripture which I have read, then he more than likely will be found in all things righteously keeping the commandments of the Lord. He will not be found scheming to take advantage of his neighbor in some trade or bargain, but in all things dealing justly, because he has prayed in the morning and has in his heart the spirit of prayer throughout the day, that the Lord will bless him in the increase of his goods, of his fields, of his flocks, or whatever it may be he is engaged in. So that is the season of prayer.” (Conference Report, Oct. 1919, p. 143)

Alma 35:15 they began to be offended because of the strictness of the word

One quality of righteousness that is seldom discussed is to develop a faith that cannot be easily offended. Whether offended by the word, or more commonly, by someone at church, our testimonies should be strong enough to withstand such offense. Even if the bishop calls you an “incompetent, stupid idiot” that is not a justification for leaving the Church. The Lord taught, And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me (Matt 11:16).

The phenomenon of falling away from the Church because of being offended is part of the parable of the sower. The seed which fell among stony ground did well for awhile, until tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended (Matt 13:20). The Savior says that He cannot be easily offended. He holds no animosity toward the offenders but forgives them all, And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him (Matt 12:32). If all of us had the same attitude, there would be none who had fallen away because of offense.

There are so many who have fallen away because someone has said or done something offensive to them. More often than not the offender meant no harm and has been misunderstood. Nevertheless, once offended, its tough to come back, A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city (Prov 18:19). Although we have a responsibility to seek out the offended, straying sheep, we also have a responsibility, as members, to develop a faith which can withstand any blows to our personal pride.

Spencer W. Kimball

“We may get angry with parents, or a teacher, or the Bishop, and dwarf ourselves into nameless anonymity as we shrivel and shrink under the venom and poison of bitterness, little realizing the suffering of the hater, the latter cheats himself…To terminate activity in the Church just to spite leaders or to give vent to wounded feelings is to cheat ourselves.” (Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p. 242-3 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 318)

How often have we read about this on the site? It has been said many times that people can choose to be offended or not.

Alma 36 Alma’s counsel to his son Helaman

Alma 36 is the beginning of a powerful section in the Book of Mormon. Like Lehi had done 500 years earlier, Alma gathers his sons that he might give unto them every one his charge, separately (Alma 35:16). Accordingly, the next seven chapters deal with his advice and commandments to his three sons, Helaman, Shiblon, and Corianton. Helaman as the oldest was entrusted with the records; Shiblon was so righteous that Alma had relatively little in the way of advice for him; and Corianton gets an earful. For four chapters Alma counsels and instructs this third son on the evil of his ways. The main focus is that the sinner will not escape punishment in the resurrection. In these seven chapters, many priceless gems of doctrinal insight are given. We should be thankful to Alma for his diligence in teaching his sons. We should follow his example of fatherhood in teaching our own. And we should make these writings a regular course of study.

Heber J. Grant

“The Book of Mormon has a very warm place in my heart because of one of its chapters (Alma 36).

“I had a wayward brother who took no interest whatever in the Church until he was between thirty-five and forty years of age. I received a letter from him, telling me that on account of [financial failures, he intended] to kill himself.

“He went out into the woods intending to kill himself; but he got to thinking what a cowardly, dastardly act it would be for him to leave his wife and children destitute. So, instead of killing himself, he knelt down and prayed: ‘O God, if there is a God.’

“He got up weeping for joy, and he wrote me that he had become convinced of two things: that there is a God, and that there is a devil, one leading to life and the other to death. He sealed his letter, and then the influence came over him: ‘You have now ruined your brother (Heber had given him large sums of money which he lost), and now you are trying to make amends by telling him you have commenced to pray.’

“He threw the letter into his trunk. He wrote me letters every day for about a week, all landing in his trunk, but finally he mailed one.

“He struggled with the influence: ‘Your brother, when he gets that letter, will write and tell you to be baptized, and if you do so you will be a hypocrite.’

“After lying awake all one night, he went at five o'clock in the morning and got the letter. But he finally sent me another. When I got it, instead of writing him as the adversary impressed him that I would, I wrote him: ‘Some day you will know the gospel is true. Don't think I want you to be baptized, if you feel that you would be a hypocrite.’

“I went out and bought him a Book of Mormon, went into my office, shut the door, and told the Lord I wanted to open the book to the chapter that would do a wayward and careless brother of mine the most good; and this is the chapter to which I opened [the thirty-sixth chapter of Alma]. Anyone who knows the contents of the book will admit that he cannot find another chapter comparable with the thirty-sixth chapter of Alma, nor more appropriate for sending to a wayward boy.

“…I love that chapter. Why? Because, when that wayward brother of mine read it, he wrote: ‘Heber, I do not know the gospel is true, but I pledge the Lord, if He ever gives me, as He gave Alma of old, a knowledge of the divinity of the gospel, that I will labor as Alma of old labored, to bring souls to a knowledge of the truth.’ And, thank the Lord, he obtained the knowledge, and thank the Lord also, he has kept his pledge.” (Gospel Standards, p. 323-5)

DC 86 Historical Background

“During December 1832, the Prophet continued to work in Kirtland on his translation of the Bible, with Frederick G. Williams as scribe. In that same month, Joseph received three revelations focused directly upon events associated with the end of the world. Doctrine and Covenants 86 explains the parable of the wheat and the tares; section 87 describes the wars and destruction that were soon to rage over the earth; and section 88 discusses the redemption of Christ and other events relating to his second coming.

“The parable of the wheat and the tares is found in Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43. Doctrine and Covenants 86 clarifies the timing and sequence of the elements symbolized in that parable. In particular, verse 7 explains that it is the wheat, the children of the kingdom, who are to be gathered first, whereas the tares left over will then be bundled for burning. This reverses both the order and focus of the parable as it is given in the King James Version but also brings the parable into agreement with other scriptures.” (Stephen E. Robinson, H. Dean Garrett, A Commentary on the Doctrine and Covenants, [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 2001] 3:78)

DC 87:1 beginning at the rebellion of South Carolina

When did the Civil War begin? For the Prophet Joseph Smith, the conflict began in 1832 with the nullification convention of South Carolina (see Historical Background). In the History of the Church, he refers to the events of late 1832 as a “rebellion,” and so it was (Vol. 1:301). President Jackson’s efforts to dispel the conflict were successful, but only for a season. Political analysts of the day may have predicted more conflict but none could have forecast the great destruction that loomed over the young republic. On the other hand, the Prophet’s prophetic eye could see the rebellion of his day spilling over into the next generation.

Nearly 30 years later, South Carolina was again at the forefront. They were the state to first tip the cup that poured out war “upon all nations.” (v. 2)

Elder B.H. Roberts wrote:

“Abraham Lincoln being elected in November, 1860, on the 17th of that month, an ordinance of secession was unanimously adopted by the legislature of South Carolina, the first act of the kind by any of the states.

“On the 10th of November, 1860, the United States senators from South Carolina, James N. Hammond and James Chestnut, Jun., resigned their seats, being the first of the senators to take that step.

“On the 24th of November, 1860, South Carolina's representatives in congress withdrew; they were the first representatives to do so.

“Members to a state convention called were chosen on the 3rd of December, 1860, to take measures for maintaining the ‘sovereignty’ of South Carolina. The convention was assembled in Charleston.

“On the 20th of December, the convention passed the ordinance of secession and Governor Pickins—just elected—announced on the same date the repeal, by the good people of South Carolina, the ordinance of May 23rd, 1788, by which South Carolina had ratified the federal constitution, and declared ‘the dissolution of the union between the state of South Carolina and the other states under the name of the United States.’ (A Comprehensive History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 6 vols. [salt Lake City: Deseret News Press, 1930], 1: 295-296.)

Starting with South Carolina in December, and ending with Texas in February, within some forty days, a total of seven deep South states severed their connections with the Union. In early February 1861, they launched a new government, the Confederate States of America, headquartered in Montgomery, Alabama.” (http://www.tulane.edu/~sumter/Background/BackgroundSecession.html)

“On April 10, 1861, Brig. Gen. Beauregard, in command of the provisional Confederate forces at Charleston, South Carolina, demanded the surrender of the Union garrison of Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor. Garrison commander Anderson refused. On April 12, Confederate batteries opened fire on the fort, which was unable to reply effectively. At 2:30 pm, April 13, Major Anderson surrendered Fort Sumter, evacuating the garrison on the following day. The bombardment of Fort Sumter was the opening engagement of the American Civil War.” (http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/abpp/battles/sc001.htm)

Ezra Taft Benson

As every schoolboy knows, the Civil War began with the secession of South Carolina from the Union, and other states followed. When Lincoln sent provisions to the Union forces at Fort Sumter, South Carolina, the Confederate forces opened fire on the fort. Since that fateful day in 1861, the world has seen as a result of warfare the death and misery of many souls.

The desire of the Prophet Joseph Smith was to save the Union from that bloody conflict. He recognized the iniquity of slavery and urged Congress to abolish it and to pay the slaveholders from the sale of public lands. The message went unheeded, and nearly one-half million souls died in the Civil War. (“Joseph Smith: Prophet to Our Generation,” Ensign, Nov. 1981, 62)

DC 88 Historical Background

In a January 14, 1833 letter to William W. Phelps, the Prophet designated this revelation as an “olive leaf…plucked from the Tree of Paradise, the Lord’s message of peace to us.” What should we make of the olive leaf reference? Was Joseph on an ark, waiting for a dove to return with good news? What was going on that prompted this revelation, and why did the Prophet need this message of peace from the Lord?

The Prophet once said, “deep water is what I am wont to swim in.” (D&C 127:2) It seems that by the close of 1832, the Joseph felt like he was swimming in deep water, struggling for air. Two of the key figures in Zion, the storeowner Sidney Gilbert and the printer William W. Phelps, had each sent accusatory letters to the Prophet. At this time, “suspicions, evil surmisings and jealousies reasserted themselves and found expression in both spoken and written word… This had become so manifest towards the close of the year that it was a cause of deep anxiety to the Prophet and other leaders of the church at Kirtland…” (B. H. Roberts, A Comprehensive History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1: 314 - 315.) Joseph replied, “Our hearts are greatly grieved at the spirit which is breathed both in your letter and that of Brother Gilbert’s, the very spirit which is wasting the strength of Zion like a pestilence.” (History of the Church, 1:317)

The Prophet had been wrongly accused by his brethren in Zion. The revelations of the glory of a “pure in heart” Zion stood in stark contrast to the realities of the young Missouri settlement. Amidst this turmoil, the olive leaf came to the Prophet as a message of approval from the Lord. The Lord said, “the angels rejoice over you; the alms of your prayers have come up into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded in the book of the names of the sanctified, even them of the celestial world.” (D&C 88:2) Thus, at this crucial time, the Prophet could declare, “we have the satisfaction of knowing that the Lord approves of us, and has accepted us.” This was the olive leaf—the knowledge that the Lord found no fault with the Prophet, even though these prominent Brethren did. Joseph’s response to Elders Phelps and Gilbert was a voice of warning, “if Zion will not purify herself, so as to be approved of in all things, in His sight, [God] will seek another people; for His work will go on until Israel is gathered, and they who will not hear His voice, must expect to feel His wrath.” (History of the Church, 1:316)

Abraham 3:26

26 And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.

QUOTE]

You will recall Abraham’s saying that in the spirit world the Lord promised that “they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; … and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.”

We know that we kept our first estate because we are here in mortality, and by receiving our bodies we have been added upon. We further know that the gospel teaches us how we must keep this, our second estate, in order that in the next life, the third estate, we may “have glory added upon [our] heads for ever and ever.”

Abraham Chapter

Only those of us who are members of the Church know of these great eternal truths relating to who we are. We are fortunate to know who we are, where we came from, why we are here, and where we may go. And of great significance, we know how to get where we desire to go. How fortunate we are to know while in mortality the importance of our earthlife conduct.

Marion G. Romney, “We Are Children of God,” Ensign, Sep 1984, 3

Read this on 7/30.

Alma 31 – Alma goes on a mission to the Zoramites, who are apostate. They worship with set prayers (and only speak of God on the Sabbath, in their church services), deny Christ, do not keep the commandments, and do not pray daily. Alma laments their apostasy. The Lord provides, and all afflictions are swallowed up in the joy of Christ.

Alma 32 – The poor have been cast out of the synagogue. Alma praises them for humility and explains that worship should not be confined to one day a week. Faith is not knowledge, but hope for that which is not seen which is true. He gives a beautiful discourse on faith as a seed to be planted and nourished.

Alma 33 – Alma cites Zenos’ teaching that we should pray and worship in all places. God’s judgments are turned away because of the Son. He cites Zenock’s teaching that mercy is bestowed because of the Son. He refers to the brass serpent incident (see Deuteronomy 18:15) and explains that the brass serpent was a type of Christ.

Alma 34 – Amulek is speaking. He testifies of Christ and the Atonement. The Law of Moses points toward Christ. The plan of redemption depends on faith and repentance. We are to pray over all things, but prayer is only effective if we have charity. This life is the time to repent. We are warned to not procrastinate, but work out our salvation.

Alma 35 – The missionaries go to Jershom, with the converts they made following them. The Zoramites try to convince the people of Ammon to expel the converts, but the people of Ammon welcome them. The Zoramites stir up the Lamanites, hoping to start a war. The people of Ammon move to Melek to make room in Jershom for the army. War begins, and the missionaries go home to Zarahemla.

Alma 36 – Alma’s commandments to his son Helaman. Alma testifies of his conversion by an angel. He tells of suffering the pains of a damned soul, and testifies he was born of God after calling on Jesus. He speaks of the joy that filled his soul and of the angels he saw praising God. His converts also experienced these things. Those who keep the commandments of God prosper, those who do not will be cut off from God’s presence.

Section 85 – Inheritances in Zion are to be received by consecration and given by one mighty and strong (the imagery used in this section suggested Christ to me).

Section 86 – The parable of the wheat and tares is interpreted (note that the JST of this parable somewhat revises the sequence of events). Priesthood blessings will come to the lawful heirs.

Section 87 – Joseph Smith’s prophecy of the Civil War, with mention of events that seem to fit later wars better. Great calamities are to come upon the inhabitants of the earth.

Section 88 – The Comforter and the promise of eternal life are received by faithful Saints. All things are controlled and governed by the light of Christ. What law men obey determines what kingdom they will go to. God gives law unto all things. Men shall comprehend even God. The parable of the servants in the field is given. Those who draw near to the Lord shall see His face. We are to sanctify ourselves and teach each other the doctrines of the kingdom. All who have been warned are to warn their neighbors. Signs, upheavals, and angels prepare for Christ’s coming. Angelic trumps will call the dead forth in order, and proclaim major events: the Restoration, the fall of Babylon, and the final battle at the end of the Millennium. We are to seek learning, establish the House of God, and clothe ourselves with charity. The order of the School of the Prophets is set forth.

Abraham 3 – Abraham receives an astronomy lesson via the Urim and Thummim, and learns about the relationship between the Lord’s time and man’s. He is taught of the eternal nature of spirits, the pre-mortal life, the Great Council, Lucifer’s rebellion, and Creation.

Abraham 4 – The Gods plan Creation.