Day 24 - Alma 44-49; D&C 93-96

The Glory of God is Intelligence

Scripture Reference: Doctrine and Covenants 93: 36, 37

36 The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.

37 Light and truth forsake that evil one.

Elder Royden G. Derrick, "‘By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them’," Ensign, Nov 1984, 61

Our revered leader of years past, President David O. McKay, often said, "The mission of the Gospel of Jesus Christ [is] to make evil-minded men good and to make good men better." (Millennial Star, Oct. 1961, p. 469.)

The Lord said to the people of ancient America, "And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good." (Ether 4:12.)

To be good, one must seek after truth, for truth is the ingredient which, when inculcated into our lives, changes us for good. "Truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come." (D&C 93:24.) "Truth abideth and hath no end." (D&C 88:66.)

Intelligence is the ability to use knowledge properly. The Lord has said, "The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth." (D&C 93:36.) The light of which this scripture speaks is the Light of Christ, for Jesus further said, "I am the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world." (D&C 93:2.)

Envision yourself standing on the banks of the River Jordan on a particular day nearly two thousand years ago and observing two men standing in the water. John the Baptist, clothed with camel’s hair and with a girdle of skin about his loins, is baptizing Jesus; and Jesus, dressed in the garb of the day, is coming up out of the water. The heavens open and a marvelous thing occurs. The Holy Ghost descends in the form of a dove and alights upon him. And a voice from heaven is heard saying, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." (Matt. 3:17.)

Envision yourself some time later in the temple in Jerusalem. The weather is hot outside; but inside, the thick stone walls give relief to a group gathered in discussion. It is Jesus talking to the scribes and the Pharisees:

"I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

"The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true.

"Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. …

"It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.

"I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me." (John 8:12–14, 17–18.)

President Ezra Taft Benson, "Your Charge: To Increase in Wisdom and Favor with God and Man," New Era, Sep 1979, 40

The road lies before us. It is clearly marked. Our course is clear. We must follow the strait and narrow road marked out for us by the Son of God in all that we desire, think, and do.

We must imitate him in our mental growth as we search for truth. Let us never fear truth, but only its misuse. On the contrary, let us love truth above all else—for God himself is truth.

King Solomon of old, advised that "wisdom is the principle thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding" (Prov. 4:7). This was his profound conclusion after a lifetime spent in searching for that which is most important to man.

Blessed are they who seek to learn wisdom. This same Jesus who increased in wisdom declared to a modern prophet, Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich" (D&C 6:7).

It was once thought, and still is in some places, that when a young person sets out on a quest for academic knowledge, his faith in God will soon be destroyed. But it is not the search for knowledge—nor knowledge itself—which costs a man his faith. As President Joseph F. Smith declared, some "read by the lamp of their own conceit; who interpret by rules of their own contriving; who have become a law unto themselves" (Gospel Doctrine, p. 373). Yes, it is intellectual pride that leads one to think he is self-sufficient in matters of mind and of spirit. Let us ever realize the difference that exists between a discoverer of the truth and the Lawgiver of all truth. The first is human; the other divine.

This quest for wisdom or intelligence, which the Lord defines as "light and truth," is a glorious challenge. We have been assured by the Author of Eternal Life that "whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.

"And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come." (D&C 130:18–19.)

Alma 44:3 ye cannot destroy this our faith

John Taylor

“Many have got angry with us, but that is nothing new; the wicked have always shown anger when the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been upon the earth.

“Many have tried to stay the progress of the work of God, but it has continued to roll on in spite of all the opposition with which it has had to contend. The prophet saw a little stone cut out of the mountain without hands, and it continued to roll and smote the feet of the image made of clay, brass, silver, gold, and iron, and it became as the chaff of the summer threshing floor; but the little stone grew and increased until it became a great mountain and filled the whole earth.

“It will be so with this stone which God has hewn out in these last days; and though men may combine to stay its progress and may set themselves in array against the Lord and His anointed, yet He will come out of His hiding place and will vex such people and nations, and He will overturn and overturn until Truth shall prevail the wide world over, and until His kingdom shall reach from the rivers to the ends of the earth; until all men shall bow to the sceptre of Immanuel; until the wicked shall be rooted from the earth, and His kingdom shall be established and given to His Saints to possess for ever and ever.” (Journal of Discourses, 13:19)

Alma 45:2-8 Alma came unto his son Helaman and said…

Carlos E. Asay

“Several years ago, I approached one of my daughters and said, ‘My dear, it’s time for an interview.’ Her response was less than enthusiastic, and I determined within my own mind that I was boring her terribly. So instead of subjecting her to a formal conversation, I invited her into the car and drove to the Dairy Queen where we both enjoyed a root beer float. All the way to and from the store, I asked questions, and she freely responded. She didn’t even realize that she was being interviewed—or at least that is what I thought. A few weeks later, I announced once again that I wanted to interview her. This time she promptly asked, ‘Wet or dry?’

“I wonder if our conduct of good practices—even the conducting of interviews with our children—is sometimes done in a dry and deadening manner…Alma’s interview with Helaman is a classic ‘wet’ and refreshing performance. It is a short, three-question, forty-five-second exchange between father and son. According to the record, Alma was approaching the end of his ministry. He knew that he must select someone to assume prophetic and record-keeping responsibilities. Helaman was his choice.

“Therefore, Alma came to his son and asked: ‘Believest thou the words which I spake unto thee concerning those records which have been kept?’ Without hesitation, Helaman answered: ‘Yea, I believe.’ He might have said, ‘Yes, I believe in the scriptures; and yes, I believe all that you have taught me.’

“Alma’s second question was simply: ‘Believest thou in Jesus Christ, who shall come?’ Again, without delay, Helaman stated: ‘Yea, I believe all the words which thou hast spoken.’ (See Alma 45:2-5.) What a tribute to the father! He had talked of Christ, rejoiced in Christ, preached of Christ, and taught his son to know the source to which he might look for a remission of his sins. (See 2 Ne. 25:26.)

“Up to this point in the interview, the father’s questions were sampling the son’s basic beliefs. Now it was essential that those beliefs be tested and determined as being more than idle lip service. Alma’s capstone inquiry was, ‘Will ye keep my commandments?’

“I am not certain what went through Helaman’s mind as he prepared to give his final response. He knew the necessity of honoring his parents and respecting priesthood authority. His previous actions had verified this fact. I like to think that Helaman’s reply was promoted by a heartfelt desire to be obedient rather than by a fear of authority. Deep love of God and father were reflected in his words: ‘Yea, I will keep thy commandments with all my heart.’

“It is a marvelous thing when a father is able to make his commandments square perfectly with God’s expectations. Apparently, this condition was achieved by Alma, for Helaman was ready and willing to obey with all his heart.

“This short, informative, and inspiring interview must have pleased Alma greatly. Not only had he communicated heart-to-heart and soul-to-soul with his son, but the son had openly declared his faith and pledged his devotion. To culminate the exchange, Alma, under the inspiration of the Spirit, prophesied and extended this blessing: ‘Blessed art thou; and the Lord shall prosper thee in this land.’ (See Alma 45:6-8.)

“I wonder if our interviews with our children are as inspirational and building as the one between Alma and Helaman. I find it significant that the father came to the son; the son was not summoned to stand inspection or to give a report. I find it refreshing that the conversation was direct and without any verbal sparring; it was not labored or rehearsed. I find it exemplary that commitment was drawn without prying, wringing, or pressuring. And I find it most beautiful that the father concluded with a tender blessing.

“Is this not a performance, or a pattern of communicating, that we should follow? And I refer to the principles involved, not necessarily to the form.” (Conference Report, Nov. 1983 Ensign, “Parent-Child Interviews,” p. 14)

Alma 45:18

18 And when Alma had done this he departed out of the land of Zarahemla, as if to go into the land of Melek. And it came to pass that he was never heard of more; as to his death or burial we know not of.

Alma 45:19 buried by the hand of the Lord, even as Moses

The Genesis version of the death of Moses is confusing. It states that the Lord ‘buried him in a valley in the land of Moab’ (Deut 34:6). Well what does it mean to be buried by the Lord? It means he was translated, the Nephite scriptures explained what it meant. The same truth was available to the Jewish Historian, Josephus, who wrote:

“As [Moses] was going to embrace Eleazar and Joshua, and was still discoursing with them, a cloud stood over him on the sudden, and he disappeared in a certain valley, although he wrote in the holy books that he died, which was done out of fear, lest they should venture to say that, because of his extraordinary virtue, he went to God.” (Josephus. Complete Works. William Whiston, trans. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregal Publications, 1960., p. 103).

Bruce R. McConkie

“Moses, Elijah, and Alma the younger, were translated. The OldTestament account that Moses died and was buried by the hand of the Lord in an unknown grave is an error. (Deut. 34:5-7.) It is true that he may have been 'buried by the hand of the Lord,' if that expression is a figure of speech which means that he was translated. But the Book of Mormon account, in recording that Alma 'was taken up by the Spirit,' says, 'the scriptures saith the Lord took Moses unto himself; and we suppose that he has also received Alma in the spirit, unto himself.' (Alma 45:18-19.) It should be remembered that the Nephites had the Brass Plates, and that they were the 'scriptures' which gave the account of Moses being taken by way of translation. As to Elijah, the account of his being taken in 'a chariot of fire . . . by a whirlwind into heaven,' is majestically set out in the Old Testament. (2 Kings 2.)” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3:423-4)

Alma 46:12-13 he rent his coat…and wrote upon it…And he called it the title of liberty

Ezra Taft Benson

“We as a people have never known . Liberty has always been our blessed lot. Few of us have ever seen people who have lost their freedom-- their liberty. And when reminded of the danger of losing our liberty and independence our attitude has usually been: It cannot happen here.

“We must never forget that nations may, and usually do, sow the seeds of their own destruction while enjoying unprecedented prosperity…

“In that sacred volume of scripture, the Book of Mormon, we note the great and prolonged struggle for liberty. We also note the complacency of the people and their frequent willingness to give up their liberty for the promises of a would-be provider.

“The record reveals that a man ‘of cunning device . . . and . . . many flattering words,’ . . . sought . . . ‘to destroy the foundation of liberty which God had granted unto them, . . .’ (Alma 46: 10.)

“…This great general, Moroni…‘caused the title of liberty to be hoisted upon every tower which was in all the land.... and thus Moroni planted the standard of liberty among the Nephites.’ (Ibid., 46:36.)

“This is our need today -- to plant the standard of liberty among our people throughout the Americas.

“While this incident occurred some seventy years BC, the struggle went on through one thousand years covered by this sacred Book of Mormon record. In fact, the struggle for liberty is a continuing one -- it is with us in a very real sense today right here on this choice land of the Americas.” (Conference Report, Oct. 1962, pp. 14-15)

Ezra Taft Benson

“Of course, the war in heaven over free agency is now being waged here on earth, and there are those today who are saying ‘Look, don't get involved in the fight for freedom. Just live the gospel.’ That counsel is dangerous, self-contradictory, unsound…Now, part of the reason we may not have sufficient priesthood bearers to save the Constitution let alone to shake the powers of hell, is because unlike Moroni, I fear, our souls do not joy in keeping our country free, and we are not firm in the faith of Christ nor have we sworn with an oath to defend our rights and the liberty of our country.

“Moroni raised a title of liberty and wrote upon it these words: ‘In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children.’ Why didn't he write upon it: ‘Just live your religion; there's no need to concern yourselves about your freedom, your peace, your wives, or your children’? The reason he didn't do this was because all these things were a part of his religion, as they are of our religion today.

“Should we counsel people, ‘Just live your religion. There's no need to get involved in the fight for freedom’? No, we should not, because our stand for freedom is a most basic part of our religion; this stand helped get us to this earth, and our reaction to freedom in this life will have eternal consequences. Man has many duties, but he has no excuse that can compensate for his loss of liberty.” (Conference Report, Oct. 1966, p. 122 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 351)

Alma 47:4-35 Amalickiah…being a very subtle man…laid the plan in his heart to dethrone the king

Amalickiah is the prototype of wickedness. The forces of good and evil are polarized in the characters of Amalickiah and Moroni. Amalickiah’s subtle yet successful subversion is a type for the wicked devices of every generation. In chapter 47, Mormon takes the time to show us his modus operandi. How does this help us today? Certainly, those whose goal it is to become like Moroni, strong, mighty, and of perfect understanding (Alma 48:11), must learn to recognize and combat the methods of the evil one as typified by his servant, Amalickiah.

Amalickiah was unscrupulous, Machiavellian, and scheming. But the list of his attributes is much longer than that. He was also:

1) Traitorous—fled from the Nephites to the Lamanites (v. 1)

2) Warmonger—he did stir up the Lamanites to anger against the people of Nephi (v. 1).

3) Designing—he obtained command of part of the king’s army (v. 3-4)

4) Disloyal—Now it was not Amalickiah’s intention to give them battle according to the commandments of the king (v. 8).

5) Shameless glory seeker—it was his intention to gain favor with the armies of the Lamanites (v. 8).

6) Deceitful—has his own army surrounded by the enemy (v. 13).

7) Calculating—predicts the response of his surrounded army (v. 15).

8) Disobedient—he surrendered his army, contrary to the commands of the king (v. 16).

9) Murderous—he caused that one of his servants should administer poison by degrees to Lehonti (v. 18).

10) Instigator of secret combinations—plotted with his servants to kill the king (v. 22-24).

11) Cover-up artist—blamed the king’s servants for the murder (v. 26-29, 33-34).

12) Phony—pretended to be angry at the king’s death (v. 27).

13) Liar—testified to the queen that the king’s servants had killed him (v. 32-34).

14) Power hungry—sought the favor of the queen, and took her unto him to wife (v. 35).

For every attribute of wickedness which Amalickiah had mastered, his contemporary counterpart, Moroni, had perfected the corresponding attribute of righteousness. Hence, Mormon said of Moroni, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men (Alma 48:17). (See also commentary for Alma 48:11)

Alma 48:7 Moroni, on the other hand, had been preparing the minds of the people

Virginia U. Jensen

“While his enemies gained power through fraud and deceit, Moroni empowered the Nephites by teaching them to be faithful to God (see Alma 48:7). How do we, like Captain Moroni, create places of security for those around us in these sometimes frightening and perilous times? We can begin by following the admonition found in 1 Timothy 4:12: ‘Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.’

“…In Primary we sing, ‘Keep the commandments! In this there is safety; in this there is peace’ (Children’s Songbook, 146). Above all, Captain Moroni showed his people the Lord would guide their efforts if they followed His commandments. A woman who keeps the commandments is using our Heavenly Father’s blueprint to build a place of security for herself and her family. Those around her know they can trust her. They can feel safety and peace within her influence. Adherence to the Lord’s commandments is the foundation of her fortress.

“To provide safety for those around us, we as sisters need to expand our knowledge of all things spiritual. We need to learn and progress in understanding and teach our children those things that will make them less vulnerable to deceit and to the designs of those who conspire against righteousness. Ignorance is not bliss; it is dangerous.

“In the 68th section of the Doctrine and Covenants, parents have been commanded to teach their children the simple, lifesaving truths of the restored gospel. Our homes should be the great centers of gospel learning. Elder Neal A. Maxwell said: ‘When parents fail to transmit testimony and theology along with decency, those families are only one generation from serious spiritual decline, having lost their savor. The law of the harvest is nowhere more in evidence and nowhere more relentless than in family gardens’ (“Take Especial Care of Your Family,” Ensign, May 1994, 90). Like the stripling warriors in the Book of Mormon, our children can be motivated, blessed, and, most of all, protected by the faith and wise counsel of righteous mothers.

“Sincere prayer can be more effective in protecting our families than the earthen walls Moroni erected around the Nephite cities…A righteous woman’s strength and influence are great. Her opportunities to create safe havens for struggling souls are abundant…Let us be like Captain Moroni in using all available resources to protect that which is precious to us and to our Heavenly Father.” (“Creating Places of Security,” Ensign, Nov. 1997, 89)

Alma 49:14-25 Lessons from the Battle at the City of Noah

Moroni had reinforced the cities of Ammonihah and Noah to such an astonishing degree that the Battle at the City of Noah was over before it started. Moroni’s diligent preparations, in a manner which had never been known among the children of Lehi (v. 8), had outwitted the enemy again.

In our personal fight against evil, the same principle applies. We, too, can win the battle before it even starts by preparing ourselves spiritually and making certain decisions before we are ever confronted with the opposition. How many times have our youth been taught that it is much easier to make the decision not to use drugs or alcohol long before the opportunity presents itself? So it is with the Word of Wisdom, the Law of Chastity, and many other principles.

Figuratively speaking, to win the battle before it even starts, we must build forts of security (v. 13). We must strengthen our weakest areas, knowing as the Lord has said, if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them (Ether 12:27). We must dig deeper ditches, build taller banks, and reinforce them with our strongest defenses. “The Lamanite attack on the city of Ammonihah reminds us that, like an enemy army, Satan will quietly try to dig down our defenses when he is not allowed direct access to our hearts.” (Kathleen S. McConkie, Ensign, Jan. 1992, “Defending Against Evil”)

But if we arm ourselves with the armor of righteousness, preparing ourselves as Moroni did, we will be able to slay the devil and his angels with an immense slaughter (v. 21). There will still be a battle, for Satan will do all he can to tempt, destroy, and seduce. Inevitably, there will still be battle wounds, many of which [are] very severe (v. 24). But if the vital decisions and preparations have been made beforehand, we will not be slain by the fiery darts of the wicked one (DC 27:17). Instead we will thank the Lord [our] God, because of his matchless power in delivering [us] from the hands of [our] enemies (v. 28).

DC 93 Historical Background

Between March and May 1833, the saints were busy with kingdom building. The United Order acted to purchase three farms, including the French farm, “purchased on account of the facilities found there for making brick, which was essential to the building up of the city.” (History of the Church, 1:336). Also, the decision was made to purchase the tannery of Arnold Mason. Next, plans were made to build a school house for the School of the Prophets, “for the accommodation of the elders, who should come together to receive instruction preparatory for their missions, and ministry, according to [D&C 90]” (History of the Church, 1:342). More elders were sent to Zion in Jackson County. In general, the Church was making big plans with a grand and sweeping scope unusual for such a small group.

On April 6, 1833 in Zion, the saints, numbering about 100, met and celebrated the third anniversary of the church. “This was the first attempt made by the Church to celebrate the anniversary of her birthday… it being just 1800 years since the Savior laid down His life that men might have everlasting life, and only three years since the Church had come out of the wilderness” (History of the Church, 1:337). The great joy of this gathering was tempered later that month when the first Missouri mob, numbering 300, gathered to torment the saints. However, the mob was too disorganized and drunk to menace anyone and spontaneously disbanded.

Spiritually, the Brethren were being showered with great blessings. During this period, the School of the Prophets made prophets out of its students. Joseph declared, “many present had the eyes of their understanding opened by the Spirit of God, so as to behold many things. I then blessed the bread and wine, and distributed a portion to each. Many of the brethren saw a heavenly vision of the Savior, and concourses of angels, and many other things, of which each one has a record of what he saw.” (History of the Church, 1:334-335) The school was only open during the winter time. Therefore, in April when time came to plant crops, the school was closed. But the revelations continued.

During the Spring of 1833, the saints were working to fulfill the commands given in D&C 90. With respect to the Prophet’s duty, he was to continue his translation of the Old Testament and “from time to time, as shall be manifested by the Comforter, receive revelations to unfold the mysteries of the kingdom.” (DC 90:14) Section 93 is a great example of the Prophet unfolding “the mysteries of the kingdom.” Therein, the saints are told that if they are sufficiently prepared, they may see the face of the Lord—a promise which had already been fulfilled in the School of the Prophets. Furthermore, this revelation restores the lost record of John the Baptist as quoted by John the Revelator.

DC 93:24 truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come

Little did Pontius Pilate know that his conversation with a seemingly obscure Nazarene would be recorded for eternity. Little did he know that his greatest moment with the Savior was to ask the question, “What is truth?” Pilate’s mistake was to ask the question rhetorically, not knowing that his prisoner could indeed answer the question. Unfortunately, he did not wait for an answer. Instead, he “went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all” (John 18:38). 1800 years later, almost to the month, the Lord would answer this grand question through his prophet, Joseph Smith, Jun.

DC 94 Historical Background

The saints were not interested in traditional American city-building. Whether in Kirtland, Missouri, or Nauvoo, they were building utopian societies with a divine mandate. As a result, we see the Church building the city of Kirtland with the temple as the focus and the Lord as the civil Architect. The Lord declared that the city must be built “according to the pattern which I have given unto you” (v. 2). This revelation not only designates the Church building committee, it also reveals the Lord’s instructions on who is to live where—even though the saints will only be there for another 5 years. In the early days of the Church, we rarely see separation between church and state. In this revelation, we see no separation between church, state, and real estate (v. 13-14). All fell under the purview of the Church and its economic firm, the United Order. This is the divine pattern, and we should expect the same organization in the city of Enoch and the Millennial Zion.

“Building cities was like building temples: wherever Joseph lived, he prepared a plat. Hounded out of Kirtland, he planned Far West, Missouri. After Far west, Nauvoo was next, the only city he came near to completing. After Joseph’s death, Mormons in the mountain West based the scores of towns they founded on the original plan for Zion.” (Richard Lyman Bushman, Rough Stone Rolling, [New York: Random House, 2005], 221)

“Doctrine and Covenants 94 is not actually concerned with the Kirtland Temple. Rather, it gives instructions for two additional Church buildings, a Church administration building (see v. 3) and a printing office (see v. 10), to be located south of the proposed temple site. A letter from the first Presidency to Edward Partridge and the Saints in Zion clarifies the scope of the Lord’s intended building projects. ‘Having here given you two revelations [D&C 97 and 98], we accompany them with the following explanations: the revelation [D&C 94] respecting the two houses to be built in Kirtland in addition to the one we are now building [the Kirtland Temple]—one for the presidency and the other for the printing—is also binding upon you. That is, you at Zion have to build two houses as well as the one of which we have sent the pattern [the temple in Independence] and mentioned in the first revelation above written [D&C 97]. You are also, in addition to this one [that is, the temple], to build two others—one for the presidency and one for the printing.’ Nevertheless, work on these additional two Church buildings, the administration building and the printing office, both in Kirtland and in Missouri, was not to begin until the Lord gave further specific commandments concerning them (see v. 16). There is currently no evidence that such further commandments were ever given, and these two supporting structures were never built. In response to the practical needs of the Church in Kirtland, the following year a smaller structure was built west of the temple which eventually housed both the School of the Elders and the printing office and also provided offices for Church leaders.” (Stephen E. Robinson, H. Dean Garrett, A Commentary on the Doctrine and Covenants, [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 2001] 3:198-199)

John A. Widstoe

Joseph Smith was conscious of the social needs of people. It was not enough that they were healthy in body or well-to-do economically. To be happy, they must be brought together under attractive conditions. So instead of the isolated farm, or the overgrown city, he proposed an ideal city conforming to the natural needs of man.

It is astonishing that this suggestion for city building came from an unlettered young man about twenty-six years of age, untrained in the world's way. But it was characteristic of Joseph Smith. Wherever he went, he blazed new paths. With fearlessness, in every quarter, he tried to improve existing conditions. He always brought light into dark places. He was daring and defended himself with the possession of truth.

He was not only a planner of buildings and cities, he was also a builder. From the beginning of his career he erected houses where the people could live or assemble to study or to hear God's word. That he could do this under constant persecution and much travel is a wonder.

In 1833, though the infant Church was exceedingly poor, preparations were made to build a temple in Kirtland, Ohio, then the headquarters of the Church. The Lord had so commanded. Four years later, on March 27, 1836, the building, notable for the time and place, was dedicated. It is still a see-worthy structure, and must have been a monument to the Church in early pioneer days. (Joseph Smith--Seeker after Truth, Prophet of God [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1951], 211)

DC 95 Historical Background

“On 23 March 1833, a conference of high priests and elders met in the schoolroom above the Whitney store in Kirtland to discuss purchasing land for the proposed temple and other Church buildings. It was decided that Ezra Thayre and Joseph Coe should be appointed agents for the Church in purchasing the farms of Peter French, Elijah Smith, and Isaac Morley. These purchases, together with the property belonging to F.G. Williams, eventually provided land for the Kirtland temple and associated Church holdings. Then, on 4 May 1833, another conference of high priests met at Kirtland to take ‘into consideration the necessity of building a school house,’ as the Saints had been commanded the previous December (see D&C 88:119) and again in March (see D&C 90:7-9). At this conference Hyrum Smith, Jared Carter, and Reynolds Cahoon were appointed to act as a building committee for the Church. They were to raise funds and also to supervise construction of the temple and other Church buildings. It should be remembered that in all these proceedings and in the associated revelations, the term schoolhouse or school actually referred to the temple, or at least to that part of the temple that would be used for the School of the Prophets.

“Still, the Saints did not seem to catch the vision of the Kirtland Temple. At a conference held in early June 1833 to consider constructing the temple, Lucy Mack Smith reported: ‘Some thought that it would be better to build a frame house. Others said that a frame house was too costly, and the majority concluded upon putting up a log house and made their calculations about what they could do towards building it.’ To these suggestions Joseph responded, ‘And shall we, brethren, build a house for our God of logs? No, I have a better plan than that. I have the plan of the house of the Lord, given by himself. You will see by this the difference between our calculations and his idea of things.’ Joseph’s mother then wrote that Joseph ‘then gave them the full plan of the house of the Lord at Kirtland.’” (Stephen E. Robinson, H. Dean Garrett, A Commentary on the Doctrine and Covenants, [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 2001] 3:204-205)

Joseph Smith

June 1. Great preparations were making to commence a house of the Lord; and notwithstanding the Church was poor, yet our unity, harmony and charity abounded to strengthen us to do the commandments of God. The building of the house of the Lord in Kirtland was a matter that continued to increase in its interest in the hearts of the brethren, and the building committee issued the following circular to the different branches of the Church:

To the Church of Christ in— Kirtland, June 1, 1833.

We feel under obligations to write to you as well as to all the brethren of the different branches; and we do this, that you, with us, may exert yourselves to bring about the fulfilment of the command of the Lord concerning the establishing, or preparing a house, wherein the Elders who have been commanded of the Lord so to do, may gather themselves together, and prepare all things, and call a solemn assembly, and treasure up words of wisdom, that they may go forth to the Gentiles for the last time; and now, in order to accomplish this, we are directed, yea, we are under the necessity, to call upon the whole Church as a body, that they make every possible exertion to aid temporally, as well as spiritually, in this great work that the Lord is beginning, and is about to accomplish. And unless we fulfil this command, viz: establish an house, and prepare all things necessary whereby the elders may gather into a school, called the School of the Prophets, and receive that instruction which the Lord designs they should receive, we may all despair of obtaining the great blessing that God has promised to the faithful of the Church of Christ; therefore it is as important, as our salvation, that we obey this above-mentioned command, as well as all the commandments of the Lord.

Therefore, brethren, we write this epistle to you, to stir up your minds to make that exertion which the Lord requires of you, to lend a temporal aid in these things above written; and in order that you may know how to conduct the business, we will relate what we have done and are doing here.

We have met in conference, and agreed to form a subscription, and circulate it through the churches. The conference also appointed Hyrum Smith, Reynolds Cahoon, and Jared Carter, a committee to superintend this business, viz: that of circulating subscriptions to establish a fund to build a house, and to aid the Elders to attend this school. The subscriptions are now in circulation among us, and our Heavenly Father is opening the hearts of our brethren beyond the expectation of many; and not one brother among us, as yet, refuses to exert himself to do something in a temporal way to bring about the establishing of this house and school; and we say, may our Heavenly Father open your hearts also, that you, with us, may gather together something to aid as a temporal benefit.

Probably you had better call the officers of the Church immediately together, and appoint someone to circulate a subscription that each individual, after signing, may have a sufficient time to make preparations to pay what he subscribes; for it will be necessary, wherever the brethren are at a distance from Kirtland, that they exert themselves to send on their gift or assistance as soon as they can to Kirtland; though they can, if they believe best, wait on those that sign until the first of September, and then collect and send it to Kirtland.

These considerations we have written to you, knowing it to be our duty thus to do, and may the Lord help you to exert yourselves with us, in raising the means to bring about the glorious work of the Lord; and may we all be kept by the grace of God unto eternal life. Amen.

Hyrum Smith,

Reynolds Cahoon,

Jared Carter,

Committee.

DC 96 Historical Background

“The major business properties of the united order consisted of a store and an ashery owned by Newel K. Whitney. Within three months after the order was established, the Whitney store was designated as the bishop's storehouse. The ashery produced potash for the use of the Saints as well as for commercial sale.

“As part of the united order, in March and April 1833 the Church purchased from Peter French a farm and two businesses being operated on it. The land would be used for the temple and home sites. One of the businesses, the Peter French Tavern, served as a public house and hotel. This was the place where the Church's first printing operation in Kirtland began in December 1833. At this site, the first patriarchal blessing was given, the first Patriarch to the Church was called, and the mummies of Michael Chandler were displayed, and from it the Twelve Apostles left on their first mission. When the united order was disbanded, the building was given to John Johnson and became known as the Johnson Inn.

“Also located on the French farm was a brick kiln, which was intended to be used to manufacture brick for the temple.

“Another business that was operated as part of the united order was a tannery, which Ezra Thayer was authorized, at a meeting of high priests on April 2, 1833, to purchase from Arnold Mason in Kirtland.

“The initial partners of the united order, or ‘United Firm,’ were Joseph Smith, Newel K. Whitney, and Sidney Rigdon. Other partners were added later, but the membership never exceeded twelve…

“…Initially the brethren desired to construct the temple out of brick. One of the main reasons they purchased the Peter French farm was ‘on account of the facilities found there for making brick.’ Benjamin F. Johnson wrote that ‘the purpose of building the Temple of brick was abandoned as a stone quarry at easy distance was opened to obtain the rock for its construction.’ Evidently to create the desired effect, the finished walls were marked to have the appearance of brick.” (Karl Ricks Anderson, Joseph Smith's Kirtland [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1989], 133, 159)

Joseph Smith

June 3.—A conference of High Priests convened in the translating room in Kirtland. The first case presented was that of "Doctor" Philastus Hurlburt, who was accused of un-Christian conduct with women, while on a mission to the east. On investigation it was decided that his commission be taken from him, and that he be no longer a member of the Church of Christ.

The next matter before the conference was to ascertain what should be the dimensions or size of the house, that is to be built for a house of worship and for the School of the Prophets. I had received a revelation (D&C 95:15) on the size of the house in which the word of the Lord was that it should be fifty-five feet wide, and sixty-five feet long, in the inner court. The conference appointed Joseph Smith, Jun., Sidney Rigdon and Frederick G. Williams to obtain a draft or construction of the inner court of the house.

June 4.—A similar conference assembled at the same place and took into consideration how the French farm should be disposed of. The conference could not agree who should take charge of it, but all agreed to inquire of the Lord; accordingly we received the following: [D&C 96]

John Johnson was ordained by the conference to the High Priesthood, and admitted according to the revelation.

June 5.—George A. Smith hauled the first load of stone for the Temple, and Hyrum Smith and Reynolds Cahoon commenced digging the trench for the walls of the Lord's house, and finished the same with their own hands. (History of the Church, 1:352-353)

• 2 weeks later...

Read this on 7/30.

Alma 43 – Alma and his sons preach. The Zoramites and other dissenters become Lamanites. The Lamanites go to war against the Nephites. General Moroni equips the Nephites with armor. Alma learns the Lamanites’ planned strategy by revelation. The Nephites defend themselves and surround the Lamanites.

Alma 44 – General Moroni offers the Lamanites an opportunity to avoid destruction by covenanting peace. Some Lamanites accept this offer, make the covenant, and are let go. The majority follow their leader, Zerahemnah, who refuses the covenant. The Nephites defeat the Lamanites.

Alma 45 – Helaman declares his belief in his father’s teachings and promises to whole-heartedly keep the commandments. Alma prophesies to Helaman of the final end of the Nephites, requiring him to keep this prophecy secret until its fulfillment. Alma blesses his sons. He blesses the land for the sake of the righteous, but curses it for the sake of the wicked. He departs and is never seen again (it is suggested that he was translated as Moses was). Dissension and pride spread in the Church.

Alma 46 – Amalickiah conspires to be king. General Moroni raises the Title of Liberty and rallies the people to defend their rights and their religion. Believers are called Christians by those outside the Church. This is meant with contempt, but the believers happily take that name. The people covenant to be destroyed if they fall into transgression. A remnant of the house of Joseph is to be preserved. Amalickiah and his followers depart to the land of Nephi. General Moroni intercepts this group. Amalickiah and a few others manage to escape. The rest are taken back and given the choice of covenanting to support the cause of freedom or be killed (presumably for treason), and nearly all make the covenant. There are a few years of peace.

Alma 47 – Amalickiah schemes, betrays, and kills to become king of the Lamanites. Nephite dissenters are more wicked and fierce than those originally Lamanites.

Alma 48 – Amalickiah stirs up trouble between the Lamanites and Nephites. General Moroni prepares the people to defend themselves. General Moroni is a mighty man of God, rejoicing in liberty and freedom. Helaman and his brothers are preaching and baptizing. The Nephites are reluctant to fight, but accept the necessity.

Section 93 – What the Lord says to one, He says to all. The faithful shall see the Lord and receive the fulness of the glory of the Father, going from grace to grace as Christ did. Those begotten through Christ are the Church of the Firstborn. Men may receive the fulness of all truth through obedience as Christ did. Man was in the beginning with God. The elements are eternal. Men may receive a fulness of joy in the resurrection. The glory of God is intelligence. Children are innocent because of the redemption of Christ. The leaders of the church are commanded to set their families in order.

Section 94 – A house for the work of the Presidency and a printing house are to be built. Certain inheritances are assigned.

Section 95 – The Saints are chastened for failure to build the Temple. The Lord desires to use His house to endow the people of the Church with power from on high. This house is to be dedicated for worship and the school of the apostles.

Section 96 – The Kirtland Stake is to be strengthened. The bishop is to divide inheritances, and John Johnson is to be received into the United Order.

JS-History – At each milestone of the Restoration, persecutions grow as Satan fights against the true Gospel.

Articles of Faith – Helpful to explain basics of the Gospel to non-members.