So you think your ward is weird?

Seanette

One more. Our ward just split and before the split, the Bishop shared his feelings about being the Bishop. He said, calmly, “You guys are really stupid sometimes!” It was actually funny because he was the nicest man and could have said harsher things, but it was his humble (at least the way he made it sound) way of telling us to make better choices.

That whole blog is HILARIOUS! (But it does make me wonder if I would fit in any ward outside of CA or UT?)

funny stories, but if there was a contest on the weirdest ward I think my ward would put up a good fight!

last fast and testimony meeting this old lady was the first to bear her testimony , she said "please join me in a prayer" so she prayed "Please bless this people , because I know their testimony is not as strong as mine " bless this corrupt country and this dangerous city, in this dangerous city about 10 30 in the morning a couple of hit man wanted to take my son" ... all this included in her prayer!!

... her testimony-prayer went on for 15 minutes, oh and after that she told us that she asked for this prayer because this hired assassins tried to kill her son the week before, it was a very long story.. she even thanked the army for their support...

after that a new convert took the stand to tell us about a experience he had on the week, this two girls inculpating him of rape.. so he said it wasnt true and he suggested to take the girls to a doctor to be "looked at"

I have a lot of stories from my ward... anyways I love my ward..

"my ward" which we decided to stop going to, has bishopric posted as sentry at the chapel doors, which are kept closed, even tho the meeting hasn't started. they open the door for you to allow you entry. afterward they dismiss the sunday school teachers, and ushers dismiss you row by row from the front row...like at a funeral. the second week they did that, my family stood up with the sunday school teachers and left the chapel. this past week we went to my mother-in-law's ward instead.

My weird wards are all from my mission. I guess New England has some characters. :)

One girl gave her SM talk on tasks and have the visual aid of rocks (representing unpleasant large tasks) and sugar (the fun little things) and proceeded to show how if we do the big things first we still have room for the little things. She put the rocks in a mason jar, and then poured the sugar over it. Well some of her tasks got all over the pulpit. Not good to have messy examples in Sacrament meeting.

We also covered a singles Ward in the Boston area. They had a potluck dinner after sacrament around 5 PM because most of the singles came from far away, and it gave them time to socialize. Well, a lot of the homeless in the area found out about the free food, and so as a compromise, the bishop only allowed the homeless to share in the potluck if they also attended church. Well, that made for some interesting testimonies, to say the least. But it was fun.

My weird wards are all from my mission. I guess New England has some characters. :)

You have no idea.

One girl gave her SM talk on tasks and have the visual aid of rocks (representing unpleasant large tasks) and sugar (the fun little things) and proceeded to show how if we do the big things first we still have room for the little things. She put the rocks in a mason jar, and then poured the sugar over it. Well some of her tasks got all over the pulpit. Not good to have messy examples in Sacrament meeting.

The only time I've ever seen this done in Sacrament meeting was in Oregon. Can't blame it on New England.

"Also, my hubby and I had hurried over for a Temple Rec. interview from a family party. We were appropriately dressed, but both had sandals on. (not flip-flops) The bishop was apparently so offended, that he gave a quick “talk” on Sunday about wearing respectable shoes to Temple Rec. interviews!"

It's a good thing this guy isn't my bishop. In my NM ward, no few of the investigators and several of the SM-only regulars show up in jeans and t-shirts (yes the women too). There is a primary teacher who wears a tunic-dress that goes to mid thigh, with capris, every week that I've seen her.

Know what? Doesn't affect the spirit at all! It's all right!

That whole blog is HILARIOUS! (But it does make me wonder if I would fit in any ward outside of CA or UT?)

Could be like McDonald's, where the further you get away from burger central, the more variation in the menu.

I have always blended best with offbeat characters. Thank goodness I am not in Utah County, although they are offbeat in their own way.

:)

"Also, my hubby and I had hurried over for a Temple Rec. interview from a family party. We were appropriately dressed, but both had sandals on. (not flip-flops) The bishop was apparently so offended, that he gave a quick “talk” on Sunday about wearing respectable shoes to Temple Rec. interviews!"

It's a good thing this guy isn't my bishop. In my NM ward, no few of the investigators and several of the SM-only regulars show up in jeans and t-shirts (yes the women too). There is a primary teacher who wears a tunic-dress that goes to mid thigh, with capris, every week that I've seen her.

Know what? Doesn't affect the spirit at all! It's all right!

Not if the bishop says it isn't.

I've seen that visual used many different times. But with sand not sugar.

I've seen it with ping pong balls, then rice, then sand, then water, all in one jar.

ooooh...New Member. got it. Thanks!

In the context, I'm pretty sure the reference was to New Mexico, as there's no such thing as a "new member ward."

Pam (or another mod), perhaps this thread could be bumped up again, or made sticky? There are so many abbreviations used on this site that even life-long members aren't familiar with. And beefche made a good point when she clarified the context of "SM" referring to Sacrament meeting, and not to something else.