Day 28 - Helaman 5-10; D&C 109-112

Remember, Remember

If our lives are founded upon the Rock, which is Christ Jesus our Redeemer, no weapon formed against us will ever be able to prosper.

One of my favorite Book of Mormon Scriptures is found in Helaman 5:12. I have learned when studying Scripture if something is repeated it is a good ideal to take special note of what is being said. In Helaman 5:12, Helaman is not just telling his sons to remember what he is about to say, but he says "remember, remember". In other words, Helaman is telling his sons to REMEMBER and NEVER forget the important truths that he was about to impart unto them.

Scripture Reference: Helaman 5:12
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

Elder Sheldon F. Child, "A Sure Foundation," Ensign, Nov 2003, 8

Several years ago a severe storm hit the area in which we were living. It began with a torrential downpour, followed by a devastating easterly wind. When the storm was over, damages were assessed—power lines were down, property had been damaged, and many of the beautiful trees that grew in the area had been uprooted. A few days later I was talking to a friend who had lost several of the trees in his yard. The trees on one side of his home were standing straight and tall. They had weathered the storm well, while the trees that were in what I considered the prime spot on his property had not been able to withstand the heavy winds. He pointed out to me that the trees that survived the storm were planted on firm ground; their roots had to sink deep into the soil to receive nourishment. The trees he had lost were planted near a small stream, where nourishment was readily available. The roots were shallow. They were not anchored deeply enough to protect them from the storm.

Our testimonies, like those trees, must be built on a sure foundation, deeply rooted in the gospel of Jesus Christ, so that when the winds and rains come into our lives, as they surely will, we will be strong enough to weather the storms that rage about us. Helaman counseled his sons:

"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

Elder Russell M. Nelson, "How Firm Our Foundation," Ensign, May 2002, 75

Just as buildings and institutions have foundations, so do we as individuals have foundations that support our faith. Some are weak; some are strong. We can waffle "like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed," or we can stand on a firm foundation and anchor ourselves with straps of spiritual steel, rooted and grounded to the timeless pillars of the gospel.

President Gordon B. Hinckley has asked that our new converts be sustained in the Church by a friend, a call to serve, and be nourished by the good word of God. Often we sing, "How firm a foundation, ye Saints of the Lord, Is laid for your faith in his excellent word!" When we receive that nurturing word of God, we feast upon His love.

Remember: "It is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, … when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power … to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation."

Even firm foundations cannot prevent life’s problems. Wayward children cause parents to grieve. Some broken families don’t get fixed. Gender disorientation is poorly understood. Married couples, for whatever reason, may not be blessed with children. Even in our day, "the guilty and the wicked go unpunished because of their money." Some things just don’t seem fair.

Though we don’t know all things, we know that God lives and that He loves us. Standing on that firm foundation, we can reach up and find strength to endure the heavy burdens of life.

How firm our foundation? The foundation of this Church was forged long before the world was. It is strong. It is true. It is eternal. The foundation of one’s individual faith, if anchored firmly to eternal truth, allows each of us to reach upward with an eternal perspective. That faith will give hope when there is no hope. It will give us joy here and eternal life hereafter.

Edited by pam
Text too small

Helaman 5:2 they who chose evil were more numerous than they who chose good

Prior Mosiah, the Nephites had been ruled by kings. When Mosiah dissolved his own monarchy and established a democratic form of government, it was not for the sake of efficiency. Certainly, a democracy is an intentionally inefficient political system. It’s great redeeming quality is the tendency to preserve the rights and freedom of the people. This is based on one simple principle, that it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right (Mosiah 29:26). Mosiah considered the alternative but thought it unlikely, if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land (Mosiah 29:27). Well, congratulations to the Nephites, they have done it again! Their wickedness has exceeded all expectations! Were it not for the perceptiveness and preaching of Nephi and Lehi, they would have been destroyed according to the prophecy.

“In other words, in a democracy or a republic when the majority of the people desire wickedness and become more numerous than they who choose righteousness, the people can no longer be governed by law or by justice. This principle applies to our own form of constitutional government. We who live in the United States tend to feel that we would always be protected by the Constitution. However, some experienced political scientists and jurists have said that if the day ever comes that the majority favor that which is morally wrong, we as a people would not be safe-even with the Constitution…

“John Adams often expressed his conviction that a nation's liberty is ultimately dependent upon the morality of the people. President Adams is quoted as saying: ‘[The Constitution] was made only, for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other’ (Nelson 101).” (Book of Mormon Symposium Series, Helaman 3 – 3 Nephi 8, edited by PR Cheesman, MS Nyman, and CD Tate, Jr., 1988, p. 73)

Joseph B. Wirthlin

“If television viewing choices serve as a valid measure of our society, they who choose evil surely are more numerous than they who choose good.” (Finding Peace in Our Lives, p. 218)

Helaman 6:17 they began to set their hearts upon their riches

The adage, “it is not money which is the root of all evil, but the love of money which is the root of all evil” (see 1 Tim 6:10), applies perfectly to the Nephites. Their riches would not have been a problem had they not set their hearts upon them. This is the great lesson and warning for the latter-day saints.

Hugh Nibley

“The sequence is a natural one: with easy wealth comes the feeling of superiority which makes people status-conscious; and with a feeling for status comes a desperate need to acquire the one thing that will give status; and with the recognition of the all-importance of that one thing, any scruples that may stand in the way of its acquisition are pushed aside, even murder being permissible as long as one is not found out.” (Since Cumorah, p. 363)

Bruce R. McConkie

“One of the great purposes of this mortal probation is to allow men to choose between the riches of the world and the riches of eternity. Those who set their hearts on the things of this world lose their souls. ‘Wo unto the rich, who are rich as to the things of the world. For because they are rich they despise the poor, and they persecute the meek, and their hearts are upon their treasures; wherefore, their treasure is their God. And behold, their treasure shall perish with them also.’ (2 Ne. 9:30.) ‘For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?’ (Mark 8:36-37.) Those who set their hearts on the things of the Spirit inherit eternal riches which consist of eternal life.” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, vol. P. 94)

Dallin H. Oaks

“The message of the modern prophets is the same as the ancient ones: If we set our hearts upon riches, we have set a worldly god ahead of the eternal God of Israel.

President Brigham Young feared that the Latter-day Saints would succumb to materialism. Less than two years after their arrival in the valley of the Great Salt Lake, he spoke these words to the people:

‘The worst fear that I have about this people is that they will get rich in this country, forget God and His people, wax fat, and kick themselves out of the Church and go to hell. This people will stand mobbing, robbing, poverty, and all manner of persecution, and be true. But my greater fear for them is that they cannot stand wealth; and yet they have to be tried with riches, for they will become the richest people on this earth.’” (Pure in Heart, p. 81)

Helaman 7:6 his heart was swollen with sorrow within his breast

Nephi is experiencing that sorrow and depression which every missionary feels at some point. He has just been rejected by those who should have known the truth. He returns to Zarahemla only to find the people in a terrible state of wickedness which has extended to the highest governmental positions. He bears a great weight on his shoulders as the prophet of the Lord charged with rectifying what seems to be a hopeless situation. Nephi and all missionaries feel this godly sorrow and can appreciate, in some degree, the emotions which the Savior felt. As He did, they feel ‘despised and rejected of men…and acquainted with grief’ (Isa 53:3).

“I am a sister missionary serving in my own country, Jamaica. Recently, I felt a great depression come over me. I felt alone, and I felt I had had no achievement as a missionary.

“Then I heard two sister missionaries talking about a passage of scripture where angels are sent to bear us up. I quickly turned to the Doctrine and Covenants and read this passage, ‘for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up’ (DC 84:88). I learned that Heavenly Father knew how depressed I felt and how important my calling was as a missionary, that I am called of God.” (C. Meikle, Church News, 11/12/94)

Bruce C. Hafen

“During my own missionary days in Germany, I discovered the mission-field version of opposition—we had our share of rainstorms, dogs, sad news from home, feisty ministers, concerned relatives, and problem missionaries. But few things hurt as much as losing a good investigator—they were so rare. Once, after weeks of fruitless, frustrating tracting in a new city, we found a golden family. They were a handsome young couple with two small children. How well they had received the first three lessons. How warm they were each time we came to see them. What a contribution we knew they would make to the struggling little branch. They seemed destined to become an ideal Latter-day Saint family.

“The night the fourth discussion was scheduled, we went bouncing up the stairs to the front door. Our anticipation of this evening had sustained us through days of discouragement. We rang the bell cheerfully. There was no answer. We rang again. Still no answer. We knocked. How strange it seemed. The lights in the house were on when we arrived. We stepped back from the house, threw a little pebble at a lighted upstairs window, and called, ‘It's us, the missionaries. We're here for the appointment!’ The light upstairs went out. Then the other lights went out. All was dark and silent. In shocked disbelief, we looked at each other and then began to cry. As we trudged back to our bicycles, I felt real pain in my heart. ‘How can they do this to us?’ I said to my companion, choking back the tears. He added, ‘How can they do this to themselves?’ It was one of those sad and lonely missionary nights when all the pep talks about having a positive mental attitude fade away like so much salesman's chatter. At such quiet times missionaries can face stiff opposition, feeling unloved, unneeded, and personally rejected.” (The Broken Heart, p. 71)

Boyd K. Packer

“I have come to believe that this is worth knowing, not only for teachers, but for everyone. If you get a little depressed during those dreary days, do not begin to think that you're psycho-something-or-other.

“For missionaries, this was well worth knowing. Occasionally a missionary told me in an interview, ‘I'm not doing very well. I just seem to be depressed and discouraged.’ Unless there was an unusual reason for these feelings, my answer was, ‘Well, I'm glad to hear that. At least now we know that you're normal. Enjoy the feeling—it probably won't last. And the first sunny day will do wonders for it.’

“We know from the Book of Mormon that there must be opposition.

‘For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my first-born in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad.’ (2 Nephi 2:11.)

“It helps a great deal if we realize that there is a certain healthy element in getting the blues occasionally. It is quite in order to schedule a good, discouraging, depressing day every now and again just for contrast.” (Teach Ye Diligently, p. 101–2)

Helaman 8:19-20 many prophets have testified these things

“One of the teachings of the Book of Mormon that is well known among the members of the Church is that the Bible has suffered a loss of many plain and precious parts. This fact was revealed to Nephi when he was given the vision his father had seen of the nations and kingdoms of the Gentiles. (1 Ne. 13).

“Other prophets frequently mentioned in the plates of brass include Zenoch, Neum and Ezias. (See 1 Ne. 19:10; Alma 33:16-17; Hel. 8:20; 3 Ne. 10:16.) The Bible itself testifies of the titles of 11 books which are no longer included and of others that are alluded to which do not include those mentioned in the Book of Mormon. (See Dictionary in the 1979 LDS edition of the Bible, “Lost Books” page 725.)

“Because the Lord has granted humans their agency, He has allowed these parts of scripture to be taken away. However, He has compensated for this loss by preserving other records to come forth in the latter days to ‘make known the plain and precious things which have been taken away.’ (1 Ne. 13:40.)” (Monte S. Nyman, Church News, 01/01/94)

Helaman 10:7 whatsoever ye shall seal on earth shall be sealed in heaven

Joseph Smith

“The doctrine or sealing power of Elijah is as follows:­If you have power to seal on earth and in heaven, then we should be wise. The first thing you do, go and seal on earth your sons and daughters unto yourself, and yourself unto your fathers in eternal glory, and go ahead, and not go back, but use a little wisdom, and seal all you can, and when you get to heaven tell your Father that what you seal on earth should be sealed in heaven, according to his promise. I will walk through the gate of heaven and claim what I seal, and those that follow me and my counsel.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 340)

Boyd K. Packer

“That sacred sealing power is with the Church now. Nothing is regarded with more sacred contemplation by those who know the significance of this authority. Nothing is more closely held. There are relatively few men who have been delegated this sealing power upon the earth at any given time—in each temple are brethren who have been given the sealing power. No one can get it except from the prophet, seer, and revelator and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“A clear statement follows regarding the sealing power as binding on all that we do for the living and the dead.

“’Whenever the fulness of the gospel is on earth, the Lord has agents to whom he gives power to bind on earth and seal eternally in the heavens (Matt. 16:19; Matt. 18:18; Hel. 10:3-10; D&C 132:46-49.)

“’All things that are not sealed by this power have an end when men are dead. Unless a baptism has this enduring seal, it will not admit a person to the celestial kingdom; unless an eternal marriage covenant is sealed by this authority, it will not take the participating parties to an exaltation in the highest heaven within the celestial world.

“’All things gain enduring force and validity because of the sealing power. So comprehensive is this power that it embraces ordinances performed for the living and the dead, seals the children on earth up to their fathers who went before, and forms the enduring patriarchal chain that will exist eternally among exalted beings’ (Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 2d ed., Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1966, p. 683).

“In the Church we hold sufficient authority to perform all of the ordinances necessary to redeem and to exalt the whole human family. And, because we have the keys to the sealing power, what we bind in proper order here will be bound in heaven. Those keys—the keys to seal and bind on earth, and have it bound in heaven—represent the consummate gift from our God. With that authority we can baptize and bless, we can endow and seal, and the Lord will honor our commitments.” (Ensign, Feb. 1995, p. 32)

DC 109 Historical Background

“Construction on the temple began 6 June 1833…The work on the temple was not without difficulty. Mobs threatened to destroy the temple, and those who worked on it by day guarded it at night…The walls were about four feet high in the fall of 1834, but rose quickly during the winter. By November 1835 the exterior plastering commenced; crushed glassware was mixed with the stucco to make the walls glisten. Under Brigham Young’s direction, the interior was finished during February of 1836. The sisters made the curtains and carpets.” (Church History in the Fulness of Times, 1989 Institute Manual, p. 163-164)

Heber C. Kimball

At this time the brethren were laboring night and day building the house of the Lord. Our women were engaged in spinning and knitting in order to clothe those who were laboring at the building, and the Lord only knows the scenes of poverty, tribulation, and distress which we passed through in order to accomplish this thing. My wife toiled all summer in lending her aid towards this accomplishment. She had a hundred pounds of wool, which, with the assistance of a girl, she spun in order to furnish clothing for those engaged in the building of the Temple, and although she had the privilege of keeping half the quantity of wool for herself, as a recompense for her labor, she did not reserve even so much as would make her a pair of stockings, but gave it for those who were laboring at the house of the Lord. She spun and wove and got the cloth dressed, and cut and made up into garments, and gave them to those men who labored on the Temple; almost all the sisters in Kirtland labored in knitting, sewing, spinning, etc., for the purpose of forwarding the work of the Lord. (N. B. Lundwall, Temples of the Most High [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1993], 14 - 15.)

The great sacrifice of the saints was rewarded with great spiritual manifestations.

“In addition to their great personal efforts, the Saints spent from forty to sixty thousand dollars on the temple. Because they were so willing to sacrifice in building the temple, the Lord poured out great blessings upon them. From 21 January to 1 May 1836 ‘probably more Latter-day Saints beheld visions and witnessed other unusual spiritual manifestations than during any other era in the history of the Church.’ Members of the Church saw heavenly messengers in at least ten different meetings, and at five of these gatherings different individuals testified that they had beheld the Savior himself. Many experienced visions, some prophesied, and others spoke in tongues.” (Church History in the Fulness of Times, 1989 Institute Manual, p. 164)

Joseph Smith

Sunday, March 27.—The congregation began to assemble at the Temple, at about seven o'clock, an hour earlier than the doors were to be opened. Many brethren had come in from the regions round about, to witness the dedication of the Lord's House and share in His blessings; and such was the anxiety on this occasion that some hundreds (probably five or six) assembled before the doors were opened. The presidents entered with the doorkeepers, and stationed the latter at the inner and outer doors; also placed our stewards to receive donations from those who should feel disposed to contribute something to defray the expense of building the House of the Lord. We also dedicated the pulpits, and consecrated them to the Lord.

The doors were then opened. Presidents Rigdon, Cowdery and myself seated the congregation as they came in, and, according to the best calculation we could make, we received between nine and ten hundred, which were as many as could be comfortably seated. We then informed the doorkeepers that we could receive no more, and a multitude were deprived of the benefits of the meeting on account of the house not being sufficiently capacious to receive them; and I felt to regret that any of my brethren and sisters should be deprived of the meeting, and I recommended them to repair to the schoolhouse and hold a meeting, which they did, and filled that house also, and yet many were left out.

…At nine o'clock a. m. President Sidney Rigdon commenced the services of the day by reading the 96th and 24th Psalms…He spoke two hours and a half in his usual logical manner. His prayer and address were very forcible and sublime, and well adapted to the occasion. At one time, in the course of his remarks, he was rather pathetic, and drew tears from many eyes. He was then taking a retrospective view of the toils, privations, and anxieties of those who had labored upon the walls of the house to erect them; and added, there were those who had wet them with their tears, in the silent shades of night, while they were praying to the God of heaven to protect them, and stay the unhallowed hands of ruthless spoilers, who had uttered a prophecy, when the foundation was laid, that the walls would never be reared.

…He admitted there were many houses, many sufficiently large, built for the worship of God, but not one except this, on the face of the whole earth, that was built by divine revelation; and were it not for this the dear Redeemer might, in this day of science, this day of intelligence, this day of religion, say to those who would follow Him: “The foxes have holes, the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man hath not where to lay His head.”

After closing his discourse he called upon the several quorums, commencing with the Presidency, to manifest, by rising, their willingness to acknowledge me as a Prophet and Seer, and uphold me as such, by their prayers of faith.

I then made a short address, and called upon the several quorums, and all the congregation of Saints, to acknowledge the Presidency as Prophets and Seers, and uphold them by their prayers. They all covenanted to do so, by rising… [Other church officers were then sustained]… The vote was unanimous in every instance, and I prophesied to all, that inasmuch as they would uphold these men in their several stations, (alluding to the different quorums in the Church), the Lord would bless them; yea, in the name of Christ, the blessings of heaven should be theirs...[A] hymn was then sungThe dedicatory prayer was then offered.(History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2: 418 – 419, italics added)

Howard W. Hunter

Consider the majestic teachings in the great dedicatory prayer of the Kirtland Temple, a prayer the Prophet Joseph Smith said was given to him by revelation. It is a prayer that continues to be answered upon us individually, upon us as families, and upon us as a people because of the priesthood power the Lord has given us to use in His holy temples. (“The Great Symbol of Our Membership,” Ensign, Oct. 1994, 4)

DC 110:2 We saw the Lord

For Joseph Smith to see the resurrected Lord was not a new thing. However, in previous visions, the Prophet never really described what he saw because the Father and the Son were so glorious as to “defy all description” (JS-Hist. 1:17, see also D&C 76:20-24). We should be thankful that in this account, the Prophet describes the indescribable—penned with language as sublime as any prophet of any age.

S. Dilworth Young

Here was the Lord, risen, glorified, and exalted. He had gone to his Father. He had received a fulness. He revealed himself as he was in 1836…

There is no doubt that Joseph Smith knew, loved, and worshiped the Lord with all his heart. He knew by seeing and by hearing that God lives and that Jesus is the Christ. His mission was to bear that witness so that we all could understand the truth of it, and understanding, accept and learn to part the veil and come into the presence of the Lord. All of us may know the same truths, by reading, pondering, and asking for the same knowledge. Let us fully realize these potent words:

Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am.” (D&C 93:1.)

Then, by doing as he says, we may find him and see him and know him as he is. (“What Joseph Smith Teaches Us of Christ,” Ensign, Dec. 1973, 44)

Alexander B. Morrison

How fortunate we are that the testimonies and revelations of the resurrected Christ in both the Old and New Worlds have been added upon in our day… (quotes D&C 110:1–4).

Questioning, doubt, and cynicism about the role and significance of Jesus, the reality of his resurrection, and even of his historicity increasingly have become the hallmark of our age. We observe with sorrow and sadness learned scholars who, in their cynical disbelief, make a mockery of Christ, denying his virgin birth and resurrection, deriding his laws and commandments, substituting pale and pallid situational ethics for the thundering, eternally relevant certainties of the Sermon on the Mount. With no hope of Christ’s return, with faith in his divine Sonship long since dissipated, the ultimate destination of their views is the trash heap of history, for God will not be mocked. Of such the Savior proclaimed, “They draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof” (JS—H 1:19). (“I Am the Resurrection and the Life,” Ensign, Apr. 1995, 40–41)

Brigham Young

Where are the individuals that can say that they know that Jesus lives? And who are the individuals that can say that his gospel is true and is the plan of salvation to man? I will let Christendom answer this question for themselves; but to me it is certain, that no man lives on the face of the earth, no woman lives, that can say this, except those to whom Christ has revealed himself. (1 Cor. 2:1–16; 1 Cor. 12:3.)

Though others may say in all good conscience they believe he lives—who knows the doctrine of the Lord Jesus Christ to be true? There is one class of people, and one only, that live upon the face of the earth, who do know it; and that class of men and women are those that keep his commandments and do his will; none others can say it. None others can declare with boldness, and emphatically, that Jesus lives. (“‘My Friend, My Savior, My Lord, My God’: Latter-day Prophets Bear Testimony of Jesus Christ,” New Era, Dec. 1979, 8)

M. Russell Ballard

How grateful I am for revelation that has enhanced my understanding of Heavenly Father, and His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, and their gospel. That knowledge has been a blessing in my life and in the lives of my family. Several years ago we sat together in the Kirtland Temple and tried to imagine what it would have been like for the Prophet Joseph and Oliver Cowdery to see in revealed truth “the blazing throne of God, whereon was seated the Father and the Son,” or to see “the Lord standing upon the breastwork of the pulpit” and hear Him say, “Your sins are forgiven you; you are clean before me; therefore, lift up your heads and rejoice.”

Can you imagine, brothers and sisters, how Joseph and Oliver must have felt as Moses, Elias, and Elijah appeared to them and committed keys, dispensations, and sealing powers—not unlike what occurred on the Mount of Transfiguration about 2,000 years before? (“Marvelous Are the Revelations of the Lord,” Ensign, May 1998, 32)

DC 112:10 Be thou humble; and thy Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand…

Gordon B. Hinckley

People ask me what my favorite scripture is. I say, “Well, I have several of them. One of them is this: ‘Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers’ (D&C 112:10).” There is no room for arrogance in our lives. There is no room for conceit in our lives. There is no room for egotism in our lives. We must be humble before the Lord. He has so declared, and if we will do it, He will hear our prayers and answer them with a blessing upon our heads. (Ensign, Mar. 1999, 73)

Dallin H. Oaks

Those who engage in self-congratulation over a supposed strength have lost the protection of humility and are vulnerable to Satan’s using that strength to produce their downfall. In contrast, if we are humble and teachable, hearkening to the commandments of God, the counsel of his leaders, and the promptings of his Spirit, we can be guided in how to use our spiritual gifts, our accomplishments, and all of our other strengths for righteousness. And we can be guided in how to avoid Satan’s efforts to use our strengths to cause our downfall. (“Our Strengths Can Become Our Downfall,” Ensign, Oct. 1994, 19)

Ezra Taft Benson

Pride is characterized by “What do I want out of life?” rather than by “What would God have me do with my life?” It is self-will as opposed to God’s will. It is the fear of man over the fear of God.

Humility responds to God’s will—to the fear of His judgments and the needs of those around us. To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts.

Someone has said, “Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man.” Of one brother, the Lord said, “I, the Lord, am not well pleased with him, for he seeketh to excel, and he is not sufficiently meek before me.” (D&C 58:41.)

The two groups in the Book of Mormon that seemed to have the greatest difficulty with pride are the “learned, and the rich.” (2 Ne. 28:15.) But the word of God can pull down pride. (See Alma 4:19.)

With pride, there are many curses. With humility, there come many blessings. For example, “Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.” (D&C 112:10.) The humble will “be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receive knowledge.” (D&C 1:28.) The Lord is “merciful unto those who confess their sins with humble hearts.” (D&C 61:2.) Humility can turn away God’s anger. (See Hel. 11:11.)

My beloved brethren and sisters, as we cleanse the inner vessel, there will have to be changes made in our own personal lives, in our families, and in the Church. The proud do not change to improve, but defend their position by rationalizing. Repentance means change, and it takes a humble person to change. But we can do it. (“Cleansing the Inner Vessel,” Ensign, May 1986, 7)

Read this on 7/31.

Helaman 4 – Nephite dissenters join forces with the Lamanites and stir up war. They succeed in taking Zarahemla and all the Nephite territory in the land southward. The Nephites were defeated because of their wickedness, mostly pride and lack of charity. Moronihah, Nephi, and Lehi preach. The repentant prosper. The Nephites regain half of their territory. The Church dwindles and the Nephites are weakened.

Helaman 5 – Nephi passes the judgment seat to Cezoram and devotes himself to preaching along with Lehi. Nephi and Lehi were told by their father that their names were chosen to invite them to emulate their namesakes, and he urged them to remember Christ as the foundation and bedrock. The brothers remember the words of their father, and bring many to repentance. They are captured by Lamanites and placed in the same prison Ammon and his brothers were put in by the servants of Limhi. They are starved. Their captors come to slay them, but they are encircled by fire and protected. The prison walls shake and there is a cloud of darkness. A still voice of perfect mildness from above commands repentance. The walls shake again, and the voice repeats its message. The walls shake for the third time and the voice again repeats its message. The walls shake yet again. Aminadab, a Nephite dissenter, sees the faces of Nephi and Lehi shining through the darkness and calls everyone’s attention to this (about 300 people are involved in this event). Aminadab tells the Lamanites they must repent and pray. The darkness disperses and all are encircled by fire. The Holy Ghost enters their hearts, and they go forth and minister.

Helaman 6 – The Lamanites are more righteous than the Nephites and minister to them. The Nephites repent. There is an era of peace and plenty for both groups. The land south is called Lehi, the land north is called Mulek. Cezoram is murdered while on the judgment seat, and his son who succeeds him is also murdered. The people grow wicked again (yet again, the problem stems from pride and material greed), and begin to murder, rob, and plunder to get gain. The Lamanites seek to destroy the Gadiantons, while many Nephites have joined with the Gadiantons, have taken their secret oath, and have made the covenants that Alma prohibited his son from revealing. These oaths and covenants were put into Gadianton’s heart by Satan (I wonder if these are the same that Cain and later Lamech were involved in?). The Spirit of the Lord begins to withdraw from the Nephites and pour out on the Lamanites. The Gadiantons take over the Nephite government.

Helaman 7 – Nephi is rejected in the land northward and returns home. He grieves over the evil that has taken over his people. He prays on his garden tower, and a crowd gathers. He calls on the people to repent or perish.

Helaman 8 – Corrupt judges, who are Gadiantons, are angered by Nephi’s preaching and stir up anger against him. Some people speak in his favor, while those opposed to him fear to attack him. He reviews the history of prophets testifying of Christ. By inspiration, he declares that chief judge Seezoram has been murdered by his brother and that both are Gadiantons.

Helaman 9 – Messengers find Seezoram dead. They are initially blamed for the killing, but are exonerated. Nephi is accused of conspiracy to commit the murder. By inspiration, he identifies Seantum as the killer, and Seantum confesses. Nephi is freed, and some accept him as a prophet.

Section 109 – The dedicatory prayer for the Kirtland Temple.

Section 110 – Jehovah appears in glory and accepts the Kirtland Temple as His house. Moses, Elias, and Elijah appear in turn and commit the keys of their dispensations.

Section 111 – The Lord looks to the temporal needs of His servants. He will deal mercifully with Zion and arrange all things for the good of His servants.

Section 112 – The Twelve are to send the Gospel and raise a warning voice to all nations and people. The Twelve are to take up their cross, follow Jesus, and feed His sheep. Those who receive the First Presidency receive the Lord. Darkness (apparently speaking of the spiritual) covers the earth, and only believers who are baptized shall be saved. The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve hold the keys of the dispensation of the fulness of times.