Day 31 - 3 Nephi 7-12; D&C 121-124; Articles of Faith

• 2 weeks later...

3 Ne 7:2-6 they did destroy the government of the land

The biggest mistake that a parasite can make is to destroy its host. The wicked secret combinations had proved the destruction of the government and thereby destroyed their main source of strength and authority. The Gadianton robbers much preferred to control the Nephite government from within rather than have to separate from the Nephites and fight them as opposing armies. But the regulations of the government were destroyed and with it went the authority of the combining judges. The lesson to us is to be careful not to let modern secret combinations destroy the government.

Joseph Fielding Smith

“Now I tell you it is time the people of the United States were waking up with the understanding that if they don’t save the Constitution from the dangers that threaten it, we will have a change of government.” (Conference Report, Apr. 1950, p. 159 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 402)

Joseph Smith

“Even this nation will be on the very verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground, and when the Constitution is upon the brink of ruin, thus people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean, and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction.” (quoted in Journal of Discourses 7:15 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 403)

3 Ne 8:5 in the first month, on the fourth day of the month, there arose a great storm

“The New Testament account of the crucifixion of Christ would seem to indicate that the Savior was crucified the very week he became thirty-three years of age. The Book of Mormon not only substantiates this account, but also provides us with an exact date of the crucifixion. According to the Nephite calendar system, the Savior was crucified ‘in the thirty and fourth year, in the first month, on the fourth day of the month.’ (3 Nephi 8:5.) Although we are not certain when the first month of the Nephite calendar would occur, if the Nephites were using the same calendar system as the Hebrews, the first month would be in the spring of the year sometime between about the middle of March and the middle of April.” (Daniel Ludlow, A Companion To Your Study of the Book of Mormon, p. 258-9)

Orson Pratt

“We find that the ancient Israelites on this continent had a sign given of the exact time of the crucifixion and a revelation of the exact time of the Savior's birth, and according to their reckoning, they made him thirty-three years and a little over three days old from the time of his birth to the time that he hung upon the cross.” (Journal of Discourses, 13:127)

Orson Pratt

“It is generally believed and conceded by the learned, who have investigated the matter, that Christ was born in April. I have seen several accounts--some of them published in our periodicals--of learned men in different nations, in which it is stated that, according to the best of their judgment from the researches they have made, Christ was crucified on the 6th of April. That is, the day on which this church was organized.” (Journal of Discourses, 15:257)

3 Ne 9:15 Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God

Ezra Taft Benson

“Imagine the feelings of the people when the voice asked, ‘Will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?’ (3 Nephi 9:13.)

“Then the voice identified itself: ‘Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God.’ (3 Nephi 9:15.) It was the voice of the very person who had been mocked and ridiculed and rejected by the wicked. It was the voice of Him whom the prophets proclaimed and for whom they were stoned and killed. It was the voice of the Master!” (A Witness and a Warning, p. 39)

3 Ne 10:15 many have testified of these things

“Up to the very moment when the terrible destruction began, the unbelievers were sure that the prophets had been wrong. They must have thought the prophets were negative, gloomy, and out of touch with reality. Then suddenly, in one great disastrous moment it became clear just how much in touch with reality the prophets had been. Unfortunately for tens of thousands of those who had previously scoffed, there was no time to reevaluate their skepticism.

“Is it that much different in our own day? We have been amply warned of the impending judgment, which will be every bit as terrible and devastating as that which occurred in AD 34. (See DC 29:14-21; 43:19-25; 45:39-42; 88:87-91; 133:41-49) Yet the world at large either ignores such warnings or condescendingly views the prophets as religious fanatics who are out of touch with the real world. In the preface to the Doctrine and Covenenats the Lord warned: ‘And the day cometh that they who will not hear the voice of the Lord, neither the voice of his servants, neither give heed to the words of the prophets and apostles, shall be cut off from among the people’(DC 1:14. Italics added.). Note also Mormon’s solemn words: ‘And now, whoso readeth, let him understand’ (v. 14).” (Book of Mormon Student Manual, 1981, p. 393)

3 Ne 11:3 they heard a voice…a small voice…did pierce them that did hear to the center

The voice is heard three times but it is not the voice of an angel nor is it that ‘still small voice’ of the Holy Ghost. The voice heard was that of Elohim. Ezra Taft Benson remarked, “How few people in all the history of the world have heard the actual voice of God the Father speaking to them.” (Witness and a Warning, p. 40) The voice of Elohim is described as being not a harsh nor a loud voice but penetrating so much so that it made their hearts burn and their frames shake. Elsewhere, His voice was described as a pleasant voice, as if it were a whisper (Hel 5:45).

Interestingly, the scriptures give us a description of the voices of all three members of the Godhead. The descriptions are remarkably similar. The voice of Elohim is ‘a pleasant voice, as if it were a whisper…a small voice [that] did pierce them that did hear to the center’ (Hel 5:46; 3 Ne 11:3). The voice of Jehovah is described as, ‘a still voice of perfect mildness, as if it had been a whisper, and it did pierce even to the very soul’ (Hel 5:30). The voice of the Holy Ghost is described by Joseph Smith as, ‘the still small voice, which whispereth through and pierceth all things, and often times it maketh my bones to quake’ (DC 85:6). Certainly, it is the Holy Ghost which speaks to us with a still, small voice to guide us through mortality, but the voice of God is one, just as the mind, will, and purpose of God is one. Therefore, if we were to hear the actual voice of the Father or the Son, it would sound much the same. It would be a small voice, a piercing voice, a mild voice, and a pleasant voice powerful enough to cause the heart to burn and the bones to quake.

“On the one hand, the voice of the Lord speaks softly, for it is a ‘still small voice,’ even ‘a still voice of perfect mildness’-‘a pleasant voice, as if it were a whisper’; it is ‘not a harsh voice,’ neither is it a loud voice, but rather a voice that pierces to the very soul of man, causing the heart to burn. On the other hand, the voice of the world speaks loudly, imitating thunder, or some great and strong wind, the crashing earthquake, or the raging fire. The voice of the Lord says, ‘Peace, peace be unto you, because of your faith in my Well Beloved.’ Indeed, it is the voice of the Lord that says to the righteous of every age: ‘I will not leave you comfortless,’ for ‘peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you.’ The finger-pointing voice of the world, in contrast, is but the echo of the voice of Satan-the slanderer, that ‘accuser of [the] brethren’-and it is the voice of accusation, of naysaying, of character assassination, gossip, and falsehood; it is the voice of ridicule and scorn, always speaking against the cause of Christ, promoting vice in the name of some virtue, and, like Korihor, speaking with missionary zeal.” (Mark McConkie, The Father of the Prophet, p. 135)

Graham W. Doxey

“My testimony is that the Lord is speaking to you! But with the deafening decibels of todays environment, all to often we fail to hear him…I was interested in someone’s observation: ‘With TV and radio and tapes, what young person has time to listen?…Listening is a challenge for us all today.” (Conference Report, Oct. 1991, p. 33 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 410)

Henry B. Eyring

“The still small voice is so quiet you won’t hear it when you’re noisy inside.” (Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 409)

Henry B. Eyring

“Now, I testify it is a small voice. It whispers not shouts. And so you must be very quiet inside. That is why you may wisely fast when you want to listen. And that is why you will listen best when you feel, ‘Father, thy will, not mine, be done.’ You will have a feeling of ‘I want what you want.’ Then, the still small voice will seem as if it pierces you. It may make your bones to quake. More often it will make your heart burn within which will lift and reassure.” (Ensign, May 1991, p. 67 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 409-10)

Marvin J. Ashton

“Small voices are heard only by those who are willing to listen. Soft and small voice communications with our associates make priceless friendships possible. I am appreciative of people who find no need to raise their voices as they try to impress or convince. It seems most people who argue and shout have ceased listening to what the small voice could powerfully contribute.” (Conference Report, Nov. 1987 Ensign, p. 20)

DC 122:1 the ends of the earth shall inquire after thy name

We sometimes forget how grand and sweeping are the writings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Nothing in the secular world could have predicted how the world would wonder and study the life and times of Joseph Smith. This phrase, “the ends of the earth shall inquire after thy name,” is really a reiteration of the promise of Moroni some 16 years earlier, “[Moroni] said unto me… that my name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues… among all people.” (JS-Hist. 1:33) How unlikely these prophecies must have seemed at the time!

“A few months back, I was visiting with a foreign scholar of religion who had a related question for me. It was this: ‘To what do you attribute the remarkable growth of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?’ Many people have been asking this question for a few years now. The bicentennial of the Prophet’s birth (December 2005), now just weeks away, has given many scholars an opportunity to ask these and similar questions in very formal settings: at symposia hosted by the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., by the New South Wales Parliament in Sydney, Australia, and by the National University of Taiwan in Taipei. When Joseph Smith was just a boy of 17, he said, an angel appeared to him and declared ‘that [his] name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people.’ This year in particular has seen that prediction born out. Secular scholars and Christians, Hindus, Muslims, and presumed atheists, in many nations and in many tongues, speak good of Joseph’s name. In Sydney, Dr. Kazi Islam, a Muslim and Chairman of the Department of World Religions, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, explained that he introduced Mormonism as a compulsory part of the Masters Degree in his Department ‘because of [his] profound love and respect for the ideals’ of that tradition Joseph Smith founded. Dr. Jason Lase, a Director General in the Indonesian Department of Religious Affairs, affirmed his belief that Joseph Smith was ‘a modern religious genius,’ who created what he called ‘one of the most stable and well organized religious organizations’ he has ever known. A few months later, Arun Joshi, a Hindu journalist from India, gave a remarkable talk at the Taipei conference, in which he related the experience of the First Vision to the conflicts in Kashmir and the Middle East, concluding, ‘the message of Joseph Smith is more relevant… today than ever before.’

“These are surely exciting developments, and it can be heady stuff for members of a previously marginalized relision of modest size to find their faith and founder the subject of symposia, celebration, and scholarly interest. Some have even predi cted a new world religioun will emerge out of these accelerating developments. ‘How do you account for this growth’?” (Terryl L. Givens, “Lighting out of Heaven: Joseph Smith and the Forging of Community,” 1-2)

Gordon B. Hinckley

My brethren and sisters, I have witnessed the fulfillment of these marvelous promises. In the temples in Europe I have seen the people of Finland, Sweden, and Norway, of Denmark, Belgium, and Holland, of Germany, Austria, France, and England and even from South Africa—pure in heart, noble, virtuous men and women of those lands seeking blessings under the authority which came through the Prophet Joseph Smith. In New Zealand I have seen the people of that land, of Australia, Tasmania, Samoa, Tonga, Rarotonga, Fiji, and Tahiti, with the smile of truth upon their faces as they sought blessings in the house of the Lord, each in his own tongue testifying of this great latter-day work.

I marvel at, and am grateful, for the breadth of the kingdom, its spread over the world, and I know that the end is not yet—that this stone which was cut out of the mountain without hands (D&C 65:2), as the prophet foretold, shall roll forth and fill the earth, touching the hearts and lives of the virtuous and the wise and the pure in heart, wherever it is taught—for it is the kingdom of our God. (Conference Report, October 1958, pp. 12-14)

D&C 124:49–55. When Enemies Hinder the Work

President Charles W. Penrose explained: “The Lord says that whenever he gives a commandment, no matter what it is about, to the children of man, and they go to with their might and endeavor to fulfil his commandment, and do that which is required of them, and they are prevented by their enemies, or by any other means, from accomplishing it, he does not require it any more at their hands. He accepts of their offering. That has applied in the past, and will apply
in the future, and we should remember it. If God gives a commandment, and we do not obey it, why he revokes it, and he revokes the blessings. If he gives us a commandment to do certain things, and we find ourselves unable to do them either by restricted laws or any other obstacles in the way of physical force, the Lord requires them no more but accepts our offering, and he will visit his wrath and indignation upon those who prevent his people from accomplishing that which he required at their

hands.” (In Conference Report, Apr. 1924, pp. 13–14.)

Just thought I'd bring this out as a point of interest. Well to me anyway:

D&C 124:132, There are several names mentioned. But in particular the name Thomas Grover is of significance to me. He is one of my ancestors.

Why are many called but few chosen?

Scripture Referemce: Doctrine and Covenants 121:33-39

33 How long can rolling waters remain impure? What power shall stay the heavens? As well might man stretch forth his puny arm to stop the Missouri river in its decreed course, or to turn it up stream, as to hinder the Almighty from pouring down knowledge from heaven upon the heads of the Latter-day Saints.

34 Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?

35 Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—

36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.

37 That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.

38 Behold, ere he is aware, he is left unto himself, to kick against the pricks, to persecute the saints, and to fight against God.

39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.

40 Hence many are called, but few are chosen.

President James E. Faust, "Called and Chosen," Ensign, Nov 2005, 53

Since the beginning of the world, history has recorded many examples of those who have not been in harmony with the prophets. In the early days of our dispensation, several of the Twelve, to their regret, did not stay loyal to the Prophet Joseph Smith. One of these was Lyman E. Johnson, a member of the original Quorum of the Twelve who was excommunicated for unrighteous conduct. He later lamented his spiritual downfall. He said: "I would suffer my right hand to be cut off, if I could believe it again. Then I was full of joy and gladness. My dreams were pleasant. When I awoke in the morning my spirit was cheerful. I was happy by day and by night, full of peace and joy and thanksgiving. But now it is darkness, pain, sorrow, misery in the extreme. I have never since seen a happy moment." He died in a sleighing accident in 1856 at the age of 45.

Luke S. Johnson was also called to the original Quorum of the Twelve in 1835. His spiritual resolve weakened over some financial speculation in 1837. Looking back later he said: "My mind became darkened, and I was left to pursue my own course. I lost the Spirit of God, and neglected my duty; the consequence was, that at a Conference held in Kirtland, September 3, 1837, … I was cut off from the Church." By December 1837 he joined the apostates in publicly denouncing the Church and was excommunicated for apostasy in 1838. For eight years he had a medical practice in Kirtland. Then in 1846 he and his family returned to the fellowship of the Saints. Said he: "I have stopped by the wayside and stood aloof from the work of the Lord. But my heart is with this people. I want to be associated with the saints; go with them into the wilderness and continue with them to the end." He was rebaptized in March 1846 and came west with the original company of pioneers in 1847. He died in Salt Lake City in 1861 in full fellowship at the age of 54.

My counsel to the members of the Church is to support the President of the Church, the First Presidency, Quorum of the Twelve, and other General Authorities with our whole hearts and souls. If we do, we will be in a safe harbor.

President Brigham Young said he recollected many times the Prophet Joseph Smith saying that he "had to pray all the time, exercise faith, live his religion, and magnify his calling, to obtain the manifestations of the Lord, and to keep him steadfast in the faith." All of us may expect some challenges to our faith. These challenges may come in different ways. You may not always like the counsel that the Church leaders give to you. They are not trying to be popular. They are trying to help us avoid the calamities and disappointments that come through disobedience to God’s laws.

We also need to support and sustain our local leaders, because they also have been "called and chosen." Every member of this Church may receive counsel from a bishop or a branch president, a stake or a mission president, and the President of the Church and his associates. None of these brethren asked for his calling. None is perfect. Yet they are the servants of the Lord, called by Him through those entitled to inspiration. Those called, sustained, and set apart are entitled to our sustaining support.

Elder David A. Bednar, "The Tender Mercies of the Lord," Ensign, May 2005, 99

1 Nephi 1:20 - And when the Jews heard these things they were angry with him; yea, even as with the prophets of old, whom they had cast out, and stoned, and slain; and they also sought his life, that they might take it away. But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.

The word chosen in 1 Nephi 1:20 [1 Ne. 1:20] is central to understanding the concept of the Lord’s tender mercies. The dictionary indicates that chosen suggests one who is selected, taken by preference, or picked out. It also can be used to refer to the elect or chosen of God (Oxford English Dictionary Online, second ed. [1989], "Chosen").

Some individuals who hear or read this message erroneously may discount or dismiss in their personal lives the availability of the tender mercies of the Lord, believing that "I certainly am not one who has been or ever will be chosen." We may falsely think that such blessings and gifts are reserved for other people who appear to be more righteous or who serve in visible Church callings. I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are available to all of us and that the Redeemer of Israel is eager to bestow such gifts upon us.

To be or to become chosen is not an exclusive status conferred upon us. Rather, you and I ultimately determine if we are chosen. Please now note the use of the word chosen in the following verses from the Doctrine and Covenants:

"Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?

"Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men" (D&C 121:34–35; emphasis added).

I believe the implication of these verses is quite straightforward. God does not have a list of favorites to which we must hope our names will someday be added. He does not limit "the chosen" to a restricted few. Rather, it is our hearts and our aspirations and our obedience which definitively determine whether we are counted as one of God’s chosen.

Enoch was instructed by the Lord on this very point of doctrine. Please note the use of the word choose in these verses: "Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency;

"And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father" (Moses 7:32–33; emphasis added).

As we learn in these scriptures, the fundamental purposes for the gift of agency were to love one another and to choose God. Thus we become God’s chosen and invite His tender mercies as we use our agency to choose God.

One of the most well-known and frequently cited passages of scripture is found in Moses 1:39. This verse clearly and concisely describes the work of the Eternal Father: "For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (emphasis added).

A companion scripture found in the Doctrine and Covenants describes with equal clarity and conciseness our primary work as the sons and daughters of the Eternal Father. Interestingly, this verse does not seem to be as well known and is not quoted with great frequency. "Behold, this is your work, to keep my commandments, yea, with all your might, mind and strength" (D&C 11:20; emphasis added).

Thus, the Father’s work is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of His children. Our work is to keep His commandments with all of our might, mind, and strength—and we thereby become chosen and, through the Holy Ghost, receive and recognize the tender mercies of the Lord in our daily lives.

President James E. Faust, "I Believe I Can, I Knew I Could," Ensign, Nov 2002, 49

To stay on the right track, we must honor and sustain those who hold the presiding priesthood keys. We are reminded that many are "called, but few are chosen." When are we chosen? We are chosen by the Lord only when we have done our best to move this holy work forward through our consecrated efforts and talents. Our efforts must always be guided by the righteous principles set forth by the Lord in the 121st section of the Doctrine and Covenants:

"No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;

"By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile."

Here’s where I got current (smile). I had decided that until I got caught up, reading and note-taking got priority over typing and posting.

3 Nephi 6 – The Nephites prosper. Pride leads to class distinctions. The Church is torn by dissension. Satan leads people to rebellion. Lachoneus Jr. is now chief judge. Prophets cry repentance and are killed. Those who kill prophets conspire to take over the government and establish a king.

3 Nephi 7 – The chief judge is murdered. The people fragment into tribes, and the government is destroyed. Jacob, an anti-Christ, becomes king of a league of tribes that departs northward. Prophets are stoned and cast out. Nephi preaches repentance, angels minster to him daily, and he raises his brother from the dead. Some repent and are baptized.

3 Nephi 8 – Samuel’s prophecy of events marking the death of Christ is fulfilled. Many die, and the surviving people lament their failure to repent.

3 Nephi 9 – The voice of Christ announces that many cities have been destroyed for wickedness. He proclaims His divinity and declares that the Law of Moses is fulfilled. He invites all to come to Him and be saved.

3 Nephi 10 – There is silence in the land for many hours. The voice of Christ laments the past unwillingness of His people to be gathered, and promises a gathering will occur. The more righteous part of the people were preserved.

3 Nephi 11 – The Father’s voice testifies of His Beloved Son. Christ appears and proclaims the Atonement. The people feel His wounds and cry Hosanna. He calls twelve disciples and sets forth how baptism is to be done. Contention is of the devil. Christ’s doctrine is that men should believe, be baptized, and receive the Holy Ghost.

Section 121 – The Prophet Joseph Smith is in Liberty Jail. He pleads on behalf of the Saints, and the Lord speaks peace to him. Those who falsely accuse the Lord’s people of transgression will be cursed – they will have no right to the priesthood and will be damned. Those who endure valiantly are promised glorious revelations. It is explained that many are called, but few are chosen due to worldliness. The priesthood is to be used only in righteousness.

Section 122 – Joseph Smith will be both mocked and heeded. All afflictions shall give him experience and be for his good. The Son of Man has descended below all.

Section 123 – Joseph Smith instructs the Church to collect and publish an account of their sufferings and persecutions. The same spirit that established false creeds leads to persecutions. Many among all sects will receive the truth.

Section 124 – Joseph Smith is commanded to make a solemn proclamation of the Gospel to the President, to governors, and to rulers of all nations. Various individuals are blessed for integrity and virtue. The Saints are to build a hotel and a Temple in Nauvoo. Baptisms for the dead are to be done in Temples, which the Lord’s people always build for holy ordinances. The Saints are excused from building the Temple in Jackson County because of persecutions. Instructions for the Nauvoo House are given. Hyrum Smith is called as patriarch. Various individuals are counseled in their labors and various officers are named.