Day 33 - 3 Nephi 19-24; D&C 129-132

• 2 weeks later...

3 Ne 19:9 they did pray for that which they most desired…the Holy Ghost

Jeffrey R. Holland

“As Christ had not yet appeared to them for this second day (and because the Father and Son could not permanently be with them—or us—in a telestial world), the next best companionship came from that member of the Godhead who can be with mortals permanently—the Holy Ghost. In their ministry these newly called apostles could not always have the daily, physical presence of the Savior with them. Nevertheless, because they were to lead the Church of Jesus Christ in righteousness and be witnesses of his name throughout the Nephite world, they would surely need the prompting, the protection, the revelation, and the comfort of that One who is the spiritual extension and telestial representative of the Father and the Son.

“In our own time the Prophet Joseph Smith was asked wherein The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints differed from other religions of the day. He replied that the distinction lay in ‘the gift of the Holy Ghost’ and that all other considerations ‘were contained in that gift.’ In light of these experiences—ancient or modern, Old World or New—perhaps all disciples of Christ, all members of his true Church, should pray for the influence and guidance of the Holy Ghost as that heavenly gift ‘which they most desire.’” (Christ And The New Covenant, p. 278)

Bruce R. McConkie

“This morning, if I might be guided by the Spirit, I would like to suggest to you a slogan which, in my judgment, is one which will guide and direct and control and influence in all the affairs of our lives, in all things both temporal and spiritual.

“In the Southern Australian Mission we thought we would choose a slogan that would guide and direct in our missionary affairs, and then in all else. We knew that when the Nephite disciples, the twelve, had prayed for that which they most desired, the record said they most desired that they might have the Holy Ghost. (See. 3 Nephi 19:9.) So we sought to make their goal our goal, and we chose the slogan, ‘Seek the Spirit.’

“Now we knew that Joseph Smith had said: ‘The Holy Ghost is a Revelator, and any man who has received the Holy Ghost has received revelation.’ So we thought if we could attune our souls sufficiently to the infinite, to be able to have in our lives the full exercise of the gift that had been given us in connection with baptism, that we would be guided aright in all things.

“I suggest this as the goal which all men in this world should follow-Seek the Spirit: desire above all things in this life to be guided by the Holy Ghost.” (BYU Speeches, September 29, 1964, p. 2)

Bruce R. McConkie

“The greatest gift a man can receive in this life is the gift of the Holy Ghost, even as the greatest gift he can gain in eternity is eternal life (D&C 14:7).” (Sermons and Writings of Bruce R. McConkie, p. 146)

Ed J. Pinegar

“Why would the Nephites desire the Holy Ghost so fervently? Elder Parley P. Pratt answered this question when he described the extraordinary characteristics of this remarkable power:

‘The gift of the Holy Ghost . . . quickens all the intellectual faculties, increases, enlarges, expands, and purifies all the natural passions and affections, and adapts them by the gift of wisdom to their lawful use. It inspires virtue, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness, and charity. It develops beauty of person, form and features. It tends to health, vigor, animation, and social feeling. It develops and invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual man. It strengthens, invigorates, and gives tone to the nerves. In short, it is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being.’ (Key to Theology, 1978, pp. 101-2)” (Especially for Missionaries, vol. 4, p. 2-3)

3 Ne 20:15 if the Gentiles do not repent after the blessing which they shall receive

The Gentiles spoken of are those of our generation. This passage is extremely important for us to understand because it applies to our day. The gospel has gone forth among the American Gentiles—this is the blessing which they shall receive. The warning the Lord gives applies to those Gentiles who live after they have scattered my people. The scattering of the descendants of Lehi has ended, so our generation is the generation to which these warnings apply.

Elder John Morgan

“If there is one point more clearly evidenced than another in all sacred history, it is that there shall come certain times and seasons in the history of this earth that shall be looked upon as the culmination of the events of the providences of our Father…we read the sayings of the Prophets and His own words in relation to the great events that should transpire in the latter days, that should so dwarf into insignificance the events of former days that the memory of them should almost fade from the mind of man. ‘As it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of Man,’ when He shall return to earth in power and glory and with authority to reign.

“The Latter-day Saints believe that there should be a day of preparation for this great event; and while the world but little comprehends this important fact or the connection that the Latter-day Saints have with it, yet to the Latter-day Saints it is a living reality. The day of the coming of these events is not far distant, and we are living in one of the most momentous ages of the world--an age prophesied of in the past as one in which the work of the Lord should be cut short in righteousness, wherein all things should transpire very rapidly, so much so that the peoples of the earth would be unprepared for them…One event has trod on the heels of another so closely that it has seemed almost impossible to keep them in memory; yet let any one take the history of these events and compare them with the words as recorded in the Bible, the Book of Mormon and the Book of Doctrine and Covenants, as well as the words of the living oracles, and there has been no event of any importance but has been clearly foretold.” (Collected Discourses, Vol.3, John Morgan, August 13th, 1893)

3 Ne 21:9 the Father [shall] work a work, which shall be a great and a marvelous work

Ezra Taft Benson

“Seven centuries before the birth of Christ, Isaiah foresaw and foretold the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ in these latter days. He declared it would be a ‘marvelous work and a wonder’ to all mankind (Isa. 29:14). When Jesus appeared to the Nephites in America, He confirmed the prophecy of Isaiah in these words: ‘For my sake shall the Father work a work, which shall be a great and a marvelous work’ among the people of the land of America in the last days (3 Ne. 21:9).

“April 6, 1830, in the state of New York, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had its beginning in this dispensation, a beginning that went largely unnoticed by the world. A small number of men and women, including the Prophet Joseph Smith, gathered in the home of Peter Whitmer, Sr., to witness and participate in the official organization of the Church. Today there are over 4 1/2 million members in eighty-one countries. We now look in retrospect on 150 years of the history of the Church and are led to exclaim with Isaiah, ‘Truly the work is marvelous and wonderful!’

“That the Church of Jesus Christ would have an inconspicuous beginning and then enjoy phenomenal growth was likewise predicted. Jesus used the comparison of the small mustard seed to describe the early beginning of His church. But eventually, He declared, that insignificant seed would become a great tree and many would find refuge in its branches (see Matt. 13:31-32).

“The prophet Daniel described the beginning and remarkable growth of the Church as a small stone which would become a great mountain and fill the entire earth! (see Dan. 2:34-35, 44).

“As men have attempted to assess the Church at a given period of time, in many instances they have not been able to see its forward movement and potential. The growth of the Church, like the growth of grass or trees, has been almost imperceptible to the eye, but little by little, line by line, precept by precept, the Church has matured.

“Simultaneous with the early development of the Church was a spirit of opposition and persecution. Wherever the tiny ‘mustard seed’ was planted, attempts were made to frustrate its growth. But notwithstanding all the efforts to destroy the work—even the murder of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother—the Church prospered and grew. There were those who thought the Church would fail with the deaths of the martyrs Joseph and Hyrum, but they did not perceive, as Daniel foretold, that this latter-day kingdom should ‘never be destroyed’ (Dan. 2:44).

“Just before the Prophet’s death, Brigham Young said, ‘The kingdom is organized; and, although as yet no bigger than a grain of mustard seed, the little plant is in a flourishing condition’ (History of the Church, 6:354).” (Conference Report, May 1980 Ensign, “A Marvelous Work and a Wonder”)

3 Ne 23:8 when Nephi had brought forth the records…he cast his eyes upon them and said

“A scripture from the Book of Mormon concerning record keeping has had a profound impact on my writing…’Bring forth the record which ye have kept. And when Nephi had brought forth the records, and laid them before him, HE CAST HIS EYES UPON THEM.’ (3 Nephi 23:7-8; emphasis added.) I sincerely believe that one day we too will be called to account for what we have written and taught. I want to be able to say to the Savior, when He casts His eyes on what I have written, that I endeavored to build the Kingdom and not tear it down. May we all so write!” (Regional Studies in Church History, New England, “Why Are We Here in New England,” by Keith W. Perkins, p. 13)

Spencer W. Kimball

“Your own journal, like most others, will tell of problems as old as the world and how you dealt with them…Your journal should contain your true self rather than a picture of you when you are ‘made up’ for a public performance. There is a temptation to paint one's virtues in rich color and whitewash the vices, but there is also the opposite pitfall of accentuating the negative.

“…Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life…What could you do better for your children and your children's children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?

“…Get a notebook, my young folks, a journal that will last through all time, and maybe the angels may quote from it for eternity. Begin today and write in it your goings and comings, your deepest thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies. Remember, the Savior chastised those who failed to record important events.” (Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, pp. 350-1)

3 Ne 24:1 the Lord…shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant

The “messenger of the covenant” is Jesus Christ. He is the last Elias to come with restorative power (see JST Jn 1:20-28). He is also the messenger of the temple covenants. Accordingly, his second advent will be heralded by a sudden appearance at the temple.

Joseph Smith

“The spirit of Elias is first, Ellijah second, and Messiah last. Elias is a forerunner to prepare the way, and the spirit and power of Elijah is to come after, holding the keys of power, building the Temple to the capstone, placing the seals of the Melchizedek Priesthood upon the house of Israel and making all things ready; then Messiah comes to His Temple, which is last of all.” (Teachings, p. 340)

Matthias F. Cowley

“When He comes in verification of Malachi's prophecy, He will come suddenly and in power and great glory. He will find a temple to come to. To do this, there must be a people called of God, instructed by revelation…in order to know where, when and how to erect, in keeping with divine approval, such a sacred edifice…Nothing short of a new Gospel dispensation, ushered in and perpetuated by direct revelation from the Lord, can fulfill the provisions of Malachi's prediction.” (Cowley’s Talks on Doctrine, p. 29)

Jeffrey R. Holland

“Christ, who is the great ‘messenger of the covenant,’ did come to the first temple in this dispensation, in Kirtland, Ohio, on April 3, 1836. He has, of course, come to other temples and will yet do so—particularly in Jerusalem and Jackson County, Missouri—as part of the culmination of his majestic second coming.” (Christ And The New Covenant, p. 294)

D&C 129:4–7. What Is the Significance of Shaking Hands?

If the messenger is a resurrected personage whose flesh one feels when shaking hands, the messenger is an angel from God. But spirits cannot clasp hands, since they do not have flesh and bones with which to do it. For spirits to pretend to an ability they do not possess would be deceit, and one who would attempt it would not be a “just man.” Therefore, the spirits of just men made perfect will not move when a hand is extended toward them.

The Prophet taught that when the devil is offered a hand to shake, “he will offer you his hand” (D&C 129:8). The mortal will feel nothing, because the devil is an unembodied spirit. He can therefore be distinguished in this manner from a righteous spirit or angel sent from God. The just man will not attempt to deceive (see D&C 129:7); an angel of Satan will not refrain from trying to deceive.

Beloved Emma Hale Smith - An Elect Lady
" My beloved Emma—she that was my wife, even the wife of my youth, and the choice of my heart" (History of the Church, 5:107)
"Thou art an elect lady, whom I have called" (D&C 25:3)

Scripture Reference: Doctrine and Covenants 132:51-56
51 Verily, I say unto you: A commandment I give unto mine handmaid, Emma Smith, your wife, whom I have given unto you, that she stay herself and partake not of that which I commanded you to offer unto her; for I did it, saith the Lord, to prove you all, as I did Abraham, and that I might require an offering at your hand, by covenant and sacrifice.
52 And let mine handmaid, Emma Smith, receive all those that have been given unto my servant Joseph, and who are virtuous and pure before me; and those who are not pure, and have said they were pure, shall be destroyed, saith the Lord God.
53 For I am the Lord thy God, and ye shall obey my voice; and I give unto my servant Joseph that he shall be made ruler over many things; for he hath been faithful over a few things, and from henceforth I will strengthen him.
54 And I command mine handmaid, Emma Smith, to abide and cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else. But if she will not abide this commandment she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord; for I am the Lord thy God, and will destroy her if she abide not in my law.
55 But if she will not abide this commandment, then shall my servant Joseph do all things for her, even as he hath said; and I will bless him and multiply him and give unto him an hundredfold in this world, of fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, houses and lands, wives and children, and crowns of eternal lives in the eternal worlds.
56 And again, verily I say, let mine handmaid forgive my servant Joseph his trespasses; and then shall she be forgiven her trespasses, wherein she has trespassed against me; and I, the Lord thy God, will bless her, and multiply her, and make her heart to rejoice.

Susan Easton Black, "Happiness in Womanhood," Ensign, Mar 2002, 12

The pivotal covenant that enables a righteous woman to reach her fullest potential is eternal marriage (see D&C 132:18–19). She desires to be married to a companion, an equal partner, who adheres to the Lord’s commands.

Emma Smith, the Prophet’s wife, is remembered as a woman who faithfully supported her husband. Emma was a woman of great faith and courage whom the Lord addressed twice in the Doctrine and Covenants: section 25 and again in section 132. Section 25 manifests the will of the Lord to Emma yet gives wise counsel for all women, especially wives in Israel (see D&C 25:16).

Emma’s divine calling was to be the wife of a prophet. In this responsibility the Lord said, "The office of thy calling shall be for a comfort unto my servant, Joseph Smith, Jun., thy husband" (D&C 25:5). She was counseled to use "consoling words, in the spirit of meekness" with him (D&C 25:5). Emma was to cleave to her husband, Joseph, and to "go with him at the time of his going, and be unto him for a scribe" (D&C 25:6). She was promised that for faithfully fulfilling her calling as his wife, he would "support [her] in the church" (D&C 25:9).

In addition to these instructions, Emma was told to develop her talents and help establish the kingdom of God. Her talents and duties included serving as the Prophet’s scribe as he translated the Bible, expounding the scriptures, exhorting the Church, writing, learning, and selecting sacred hymns (see D&C 25:6–8, 11). The Lord cautioned her that while fulfilling these responsibilities, she was to "murmur not" and was to "lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better" (D&C 25:4, 10). She was also admonished to "beware of pride" (D&C 25:14). If Emma proved faithful, she would receive "a crown of righteousness" (D&C 25:15).

The Prophet Joseph Smith loved Emma, and she comforted him, she increased her talents, she helped establish the Church, and she fulfilled her responsibilities as a wife. In his love for her, Joseph pleaded with the Lord on her behalf in March 1836: "Have mercy, O Lord, upon [my] wife and children, that they may be exalted in thy presence, and preserved by thy fostering hand" (D&C 109:69).

In a revelation recorded in July 1843, the Lord again spoke to Emma and commanded her "to abide and cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else" (D&C 132:54). She is also encouraged to "forgive my servant Joseph his trespasses; and then shall she be forgiven her trespasses, wherein she has transgressed against me; and I, the Lord thy God, will bless her, and multiply her, and make her heart to rejoice" (D&C 132:56).

The Lord warned Emma that despite her position as a called wife and worker in the kingdom, she must faithfully endure or, as the Lord had told her, "where I am you cannot come" (D&C 25:15).

Throughout her life as a wife, Emma experienced hardship, sorrow, persecution, and severe tests. Despite this, she was faithful to the Lord’s invitation: "Let thy soul delight in thy husband, and the glory which shall come upon him" (D&C 25:14). Emma’s responsibilities were many, and by comparison her weaknesses were few. The lessons from the Lord’s revelations to Emma are clear: a wife is to cleave to her husband and comfort him, serve in the Lord’s kingdom, and endure faithfully to the end.

Just prior to his death, the Prophet Joseph Smith invited Emma to write out a blessing that she would want from him. She wrote in part, "I desire with all my heart to honor and respect my husband as my head, ever to live in his confidence and by acting in unison with him, retain the place which God has given me by his side."

Ryan Carr, "When Emma Met Joseph," New Era, Oct 2004, 16

They were a striking couple. She was tall and thin and had black hair, brown eyes, and an olive complexion. She sang well and was educated to be a schoolteacher. He was tall, strong, and broad-shouldered. As a youth he learned to work hard on his father’s farm. They both liked to joke and have fun, but they could be serious when they needed to be.

Her name was Emma; his was Joseph. They married when she was 22 and he was 21. Despite trials and persecution, they stayed close through 17 years of marriage, until Joseph’s death in 1844.
Emma Hale, who had eight brothers and sisters, grew up in the untamed Susquehanna Valley in Pennsylvania. With her father, she enjoyed canoeing on the Susquehanna River and riding horses. Little did she know then that she would marry the great prophet of the Restoration.

In the fall of 1825, an acquaintance of the Hales, Josiah Stowell, hired young Joseph Smith and others to dig for silver. After a month of digging and finding nothing, Joseph persuaded Mr. Stowell to quit digging. While Joseph was working for Mr. Stowell, Joseph and his father boarded with the Hales. That’s when Emma met Joseph.

Over the next year, as Joseph and his father worked at various jobs in the area, Joseph and Emma talked in the evenings after work. She was an excellent cook and had a delightful sense of humor, which Joseph probably enjoyed.

Joseph soon decided to marry Emma. He told his parents: "I have been very lonely ever since Alvin died [three years before], and I have concluded to get married, and if you have no objections with my uniting myself in marriage with Miss Emma Hale, she would be my choice in preference to any other woman." Joseph’s parents, pleased with his choice, invited Joseph and Emma to live with them after the marriage so they too could enjoy Emma’s company.

About 15 months after they first met, Joseph and Emma married, and Joseph worked that summer on his father’s farm. With this marriage, Emma saw many great events, such as Joseph’s translating the Book of Mormon and organizing the Church, and also many trials, such as the deaths of 6 of their 11 children.
Emma endured the trials well. Joseph’s mother said of Emma: "I have never seen a woman in my life, who would endure every species of fatigue and hardship, from month to month, and from year to year, with that unflinching courage, zeal, and patience, which she has ever done."

Joseph was often separated from his wife and children. But mobs and persecution couldn’t separate Joseph’s heart from his family. While away, he wrote letters of love and encouragement to them. In 1838, for instance, he wrote from Missouri, where he was being held prisoner: "O my affectionate Emma, I want you to remember that I am a true and faithful friend to you and the children forever. My heart is entwined around yours forever an ever. …

"P.S. Write as often as you can, and if possible come and see me, and bring the children."

A few months later from the jail in Liberty, Missouri, Joseph wrote: "My dear Emma, I very well know your toils and sympathize with you. If God will spare my life once more to have the privilege of taking care of you, I will ease your care and endeavor to comfort your heart."

And the next year from Pennsylvania: "I feel very anxious to see you all once more in this world. … I pray God to spare you all until I get home. My dear Emma, my heart is entwined around you and those little ones. Tell all the children that I love them and will come home as soon as I can. Yours in the bonds of love, your husband."

Fortunately, before Joseph was killed, he and Emma were sealed for time and eternity in 1843 in Nauvoo, 16 years after they were married. This was the year Joseph received revelations from the Lord about eternal marriage (see D&C 131; D&C 132).

Joseph and Emma’s dedication to one another and to the gospel carried their marriage through years of trials and tribulations. And thanks to the Restoration, a temple sealing carried their marriage into eternity.

In a letter to Emma, Joseph Smith wrote, "Tongue cannot express the gratitude of my heart, for the warm and true-hearted friendship you have manifested . . . towards me" (History of the Church, 5:103).

Edited by KeithLBrown

3 Nephi 18 – Jesus institutes the Sacrament. We are to watch and pray always to be safe from temptation and from being led astray by Satan. Prayers are to be in Jesus’ name. We are to hold up our light to shine to the world. Taking the Sacrament unworthily brings damnation. He gives the disciples the power to give the gift of the Holy Ghost.

3 Nephi 19 – The disciples divide the people into twelve groups, each with a disciple teaching and ministering to them. The disciples are baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. They are ministered to by angels.

3 Nephi 20 – Jesus administers the Sacrament, using bread and wine He provides by a miracle. A remnant of the house of Jacob shall be gathered and brought to knowledge of the Lord. If the Gentiles do not repent, the Nephites will inherit the land. Jesus fulfills Moses’ prophecy of a prophet like unto him. The Nephites are the children of prophets. Jerusalem will again be inhabited by the Lord’s people.

3 Nephi 21 – Israel shall be gathered when the Book of Mormon comes forth. The Gentiles will be established as free people in America. Those who believe, repent, and obey shall be saved, those who don’t will be cut off and destroyed. Israel will build the New Jerusalem and the lost tribes will return.

3 Nephi 22 – Compare Isaiah 54. Zion and stakes will be established and Israel will be gathered in mercy and tenderness in the last days.

3 Nephi 23 – Jesus commands searching the Scriptures and says “great are the words of Isaiah”. He confirms that Isaiah’s words are true. He commands Nephi to bring forth the records and instructs him to add Samuel’s prophecies.

Section 129 – There are both resurrected and spirit bodies in heaven. We are told how we may distinguish the types of supernatural visitors we might encounter.

Section 130 – Both the Father and the Son may appear to man. Angels reside in the presence of God in the celestial realm, which is a great Urim and Thummim as the earth will become. All who enter the celestial kingdom are given a white stone with a new name inscribed. Joseph Smith was not told when the Second Coming would occur, but was told to stop asking for that information. Intelligence gained in this life will be to our advantage in the next. All blessings come from obedience to law. The Father and the Son have bodies of flesh and bone.

Section 131 – Celestial marriage is essential to exaltation. The “more sure word of prophecy” is the knowledge that one is sealed up to eternal life. One cannot be saved in ignorance. All spirit is matter, but can only be seen by purified eyes.

Section 132 – This is an explanation of the new and everlasting covenant, celestial marriage, and exaltation. Laws governing plural marriage are given.