Day 40 - Moroni 6-10; Summary and thoughts during Challenge

• 2 weeks later...

Moroni 6:4 they were numbered…and nourished by the good word of God

Gordon B. Hinckley

“We are becoming a great global society. But our interest and concern must always be with the individual. Every member of this church is an individual…Our great responsibility is to see that each is ‘remembered and nourished by the good word of God’ (Moro. 6:4), that each has opportunity for growth and expression and training in the work and ways of the Lord, that none lacks the necessities of life, that the needs of the poor are met, that each member shall have encouragement, training, and opportunity to move forward on the road of immortality and eternal life. This, I submit, is the inspired genius of this the Lord’s work.” (Ensign, May 1995, p. 52 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 513-4)

Gordon B. Hinckley

“It is not an easy thing to become a member of this Church. In most cases it involves setting aside old habits, leaving old friends and associations, and stepping into a new society which is different and somewhat demanding. With the ever-increasing number of converts, we must make an increasingly substantial effort to assist them as they find their way. Every one of them needs three things: a friend, a responsibility, and nurturing with ‘the good word of God’ (Moro. 6:4). It is our duty and opportunity to provide these things…The Savior of all mankind left the ninety and nine to fine the one lost. That one who was lost need not have become lost. But if he is out there somewhere in the shadows, and if it means leaving the ninety and nine, we must do so to find him….In my view nothing is of greater importance.” (Ensign, May 1997, pp. 47-48 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 514)

Ezra Taft Benson

“Keeping faithful track of each member you are called to home teach is essential. The Book of Mormon beautifully teaches this principle: (quotes Moroni 6:4).

“Brethren, may we remember all of our individuals and families and ‘number’ them each month and nourish them by the good word of God to keep them in the right way. We call upon quorum leaders to conduct spiritual monthly home teaching interviews, receive a report on the home teachers' activities, evaluate current needs, make assignments for the coming month, and teach, strengthen, and inspire the home teachers in their sacred callings. Such interviews with home teachers provide a setting for leaders to measure progress and better serve the individuals and members they have been called to serve. (Conference Report, May 1987 Ensign, p. 51)”

Moroni 7:8 if a man being evil giveth a gift…he is counted evil before God

The best example of this principle is the famous offering of Cain. Cain was evil. He followed Satan’s counsel in making an offering unto the Lord. Yet, he expected a full reward. He was surprised and angry to learn that the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering: But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect (Gen 4:4-5). In essence, Cain had been counted evil before God. Hereby, he became the great prototype of the evil gift-giver.

The story is told of a man who had been pressed for weeks by his wife and bishop to live the law of tithing. Finally, exasperated, the man went into the bishop’s office, slid the envelope across the desk, and said, “Here Bishop, here’s your damn tithing!” The bishop calmly slid the envelope back across the desk, replying, “well if that’s the way you feel about it, then you can keep your money. The Lord doesn’t want it.”

Brigham Young

“We say to the Saints, do not pay Tithing, unless you want to; do not help to build up this Temple unless you want to; do not put forth your hands to one day's work, unless you want to. . . . If you grudgingly put forth your means to help to gather the Saints, it will be a curse to you.” (Hugh Nibley, Brother Brigham Challenges the Saints, p. 460)

Alvin R. Dyer

“There are some, for vanity or other superficial reasons, that may seemingly offer a good gift, but only to deceive, and often as not, this simulation is made to cover something ugly and sinful which lodges beneath a false veneer.

“In the balance of innermost-thoughts and feelings lies the real person, to be evil or to be good. God recognizes no sense of good which is but a cloak of how the inner person really feels…Of these, the Master has said, when with assumption they shall come up for a crown or a place in His Kingdom, ‘Depart, for I never knew you.’” (BYU Speeches of the Year, Alvin R. Dyer, Mar. 16, 1965, p. 5)

Moroni 7:16 the spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil

Bruce R. McConkie

“Christ is ‘the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world.’ (D. & C. 93:2; John 1:9.) This enlightenment is administered to all men through the Spirit of Christ, or the Spirit of the Lord, or the Light of truth, or the light of Christ -- all of which expressions are synonymous. This Spirit fills the immensity of space, is in all things, and is not to be confused with the Personage of Spirit known as the Holy Ghost (or Spirit of the Lord). (Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 1, pp. 38-54.)

“The light of Christ is the Spirit of the Lord which leads men to accept the gospel and join the Church so that they may receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Men are commanded to ‘live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God. For the word of the Lord is truth, and whatsoever is truth is light, and whatsoever is light is Spirit, even the Spirit of Jesus Christ. And the Spirit giveth light to every man that cometh into the world; and the Spirit enlighteneth every man through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit.’ (D. & C. 84:44-46.) Those who hearken to this Spirit come into the Church, receiving ‘of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins.’ (D. & C. 20:37; 84:47-48; Alma 19:6; 26:3; 28:14.) Men are born again by following the light of Christ to the point where they receive the actual enjoyment of the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Mosiah 27:24-31; Alma 36.)

“It is because of the light of Christ that all men know good from evil and enjoy the guidance of what is called conscience.” (Mormon Doctrine, pp. 446-7)

Moroni 7:35 has the day of miracles ceased?

Spencer W. Kimball

“Making a stirring appeal following the bloody extinction of his people, the lonely Moroni, last survivor of a great civilization, looked down the stream of time to our own day when the Book of Mormon should come forth. Among other erroneous concepts then held, he predicted, would be the idea that ‘miracles are done away.’ (Morm. 8:26.)

“We who live now recognize the fulfillment of this prophecy. Fortunately, active Church members are aware of modern miracles-angelic visitations, gospel restoration, the Book of Mormon, for example. When we think of miracles, most of us think of healings under the power of the priesthood. But there is another, even greater miracle-the miracle of forgiveness.

“Indeed the day of miracles has not passed except for those who will not heed the call of the Lord and of his servants, who night and day warn and plead and implore. There is a glorious miracle awaiting every soul who is prepared to change. Repentance and forgiveness make a brilliant day of the darkest night. When souls are reborn, when lives are changed then comes the great miracle to beautify and warm and lift. When spiritual death has threatened and now instead there is resuscitation, when life pushes out death when this happens it is the miracle of miracles. And such great miracles will never cease so long as there is one person who applies the redeeming power of the Savior and his own good works to bring about his rebirth.” (The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 361-2)

Boyd K. Packer

“Who would dare to say that the day of miracles has ceased? Those things have not changed in 150 years, not changed at all.

“For the power and inspiration of the Almighty rests upon this people today as surely as it did in those days of beginning: ‘It is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief.’ (Moroni 7:37.)

“The prophet Moroni taught that angelic messengers would accomplish their work, ‘by declaring the word of Christ unto the chosen vessels of the Lord, that they may bear testimony of him. And by so doing, the Lord God prepareth the way that the residue of men may have faith in Christ, that the Holy Ghost may have place in their hearts.’ (Moroni 7:31-32.)

“There has come, these last several years, a succession of announcements that show our day to be a day of intense revelation, equaled, perhaps, only in those days of beginning, 150 years ago.

But then, as now, the world did not believe. They say that ordinary men are not inspired; that there are no prophets, no Apostles; that angels do not minister unto men-not to ordinary men.

“That doubt and disbelief have not changed. But now, as then, their disbelief cannot change the truth.

“We lay no claim to being Apostles of the world-but of the Lord Jesus Christ. The test is not whether men will believe, but whether the Lord has called us-and of that there is no doubt!

“We do not talk of those sacred interviews that qualify the servants of the Lord to bear a special witness of Him, for we have been commanded not to do so.

“But we are free, indeed, we are obliged, to bear that special witness…

Compared to the others who have been called, I am nowhere near their equal, save it be, perhaps, in the certainty of the witness we share.

“I feel compelled, on this one hundred fiftieth anniversary of the Church, to certify to you that I know that the day of miracles has not ceased. I know that angels minister unto men.” (That All May Be Edified, pp. 149-151)

Heber J. Grant

“When my appendix was removed it had broken and blood poisoning, so they said, in the third and last stage, had set in. There were nine doctors present and eight said I had to die. The chief surgeon in the Catholic hospital turned to President Joseph F. Smith, and said: ‘Mr. Smith, you need not think of such a possibility or probability as that this man shall live. Why, if he should live it would be a miracle, and this is not the day of miracles.’ That was the message delivered to me by Joseph F. Smith himself during his last sickness, and he said: ‘Our doctor friend who said it would be a miracle has passed away. I never saw you looking healthier in my life than you do today, Heber.’” (Conference Report, Apr. 1933, p. 10)

Moroni 8:15 awful is the wickedness to suppose that God saveth one child because of baptism, and the other must perish because he hath no baptism

LeGrand Richards

“It is strange, indeed, that so many churches should practice the principle of infant baptism when there is no account of any such baptisms having been performed in the church of Jesus Christ in primitive days, nor any instructions given that it should be done.” (Marvelous Work and a Wonder, p. 98)

Joseph Fielding Smith

“I remember when I was in the mission field in England, there was an American family there…. One evening as we sat in their home, the man's wife turned to me and said: ‘Elder Smith, I want to ask you a question.’ Before she could ask her question, she began to cry. I did not know what the matter was. She sobbed, and when she had composed herself enough to ask the question, she told me this story:

“When they went over to England, they had the misfortune of losing a little baby. They were attending the Church of England. They went to the minister and wanted to have that baby laid away with a Christian burial, as they had been attending the church. The minister said to her: ‘We can't give your child a Christian burial because it was not christened. Your baby is lost.’ That was a rather blunt way to put it, but that is the way she told the story; and that woman's heart had been aching and aching for two or three years. So she asked the question of me: ‘Is my baby lost? Will I never see it again?’ I turned and read to her from the Book of Mormon the words of Mormon to his son Moroni. I said: ‘Your baby is not lost. No baby is lost. Every baby is saved in the kingdom of God when it dies.’” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:52)

Joseph F. Smith

“…our beloved friends who are now deprived of their little one, have great cause for joy and rejoicing, even in the midst of the deep sorrow that they feel at the loss of their little one for a time. They know he is all right; they have the assurance that their little one has passed away without sin. Such children are in the bosom of the Father. They will inherit their glory and their exaltation, and they will not be deprived of the blessings that belong to them; for, in the economy of heaven, and in the wisdom of the Father, who doeth all things well, those who are cut down as little children are without any responsibility for their taking off… all that could have been obtained and enjoyed by them if they had been permitted to live in the flesh will be provided for them hereafter. They will lose nothing by being taken away from us in this way.

“…Joseph Smith declared that the mother who laid down her little child, being deprived of the privilege, the joy, and the satisfaction of bringing it up to manhood or womanhood in this world, would, after the resurrection, have all the joy, satisfaction and pleasure, and even more than it would have been possible to have had in mortality, in seeing her child grow to the full measure of the stature of its spirit.” (Gospel Doctrine, p. 453)

Joseph Fielding Smith

“Children who die in childhood will not be deprived of any blessing. When they grow, after the resurrection, to the full maturity of the spirit, they will be entitled to all the blessings which they would have been entitled to had they been privileged to tarry here and receive them.

“The Lord has arranged for that, so that justice will be given to every soul.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:55)

Moroni 9:9 that which was most dear and precious…which is chastity and virtue

Spencer W. Kimball

“The strengthening of family ties should become a rallying cry for Latter-day Saint families everywhere. So also should a return to chastity, our most valuable possession. Chastity and virtue are ‘most dear and precious above all things’ (Moro. 9:9), more valuable than rubies or diamonds, than herds and flocks, than gold and silver, or than automobiles and land. But, sadly, in many cases they are on sale at the cheapest shops and at the cheapest prices.” (Ensign, Nov. 1979, “We Need a Listening Ear”)

Neal A. Maxwell

“When we think of this constellation of reasons (why the Church is constantly concerned with freedom from sin), we can understand why it is not just recurring rhetoric when prophets like Moroni observe that the loss of chastity is the loss of that which is precious above all things. (See Moroni 9:9.) And why, so many times, the writers of the scriptures, observing their own people's decadence, have equated ripening in iniquity with the spread of fornication and adultery. (See Helaman 8:26.)” (Notwithstanding My Weakness, p. 100)

Moroni 10:3 remember how merciful the Lord hath been

Not everyone who has prayed about the Book of Mormon has received an answer. There are investigators who have prayed to know whether the Book of Mormon is true who adamantly declare that they did not feel a thing! They conclude that the book must not be true and that Moroni’s promise is hollow.

Yet, we know that the Lord keeps his promises. Therefore, any investigator who has not received an answer has not kept his part of the deal. Typically, the first response is to remind them that they must ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, but these are not the only requirements. Anyone challenging an investigator to pray about the Book of Mormon should never read verse 4 without also reading verse 3. Often, when an investigator does not get the desired response, it is because some of the steps in verse 3 were omitted.

The overall pattern is to read—remember—ponder—pray in sincerity and faith. None of these steps may be left out. If the individual has not read the Book of Mormon, and more importantly, remembered the Lord’s mercy throughout the ages, they have no promise. For many Christians, this will require that they ponder the Lord’s great mercy as revealed in the Bible—they must remember and ponder what the Lord has already done. Without these elements, even a sincere prayer and an intense prayer may yield nothing. Again, the indispensable elements are:

1) To read.

2) To remember the Lord’s mercy.

3) To ponder.

4) To ask with a sincere heart.

5) To ask with real intent.

6) To ask with faith in Christ.

No investigator in the history of the Restoration has ever completed all six of these steps without subsequently receiving a manifestation of the truth of the Book of Mormon.

Elder John H. Taylor

“It seems to me that this verse (Moro 10:3) is a preparation to the people who may read this holy book, that they shall have in their hearts a desire to know the truth, and to have brought to their remembrance the fact that God has been good to his children upon the earth; and that, irrespective of the many things that they have done which have been evil in his sight, God has been willing to forgive them, make himself manifest to them, and bear record of the truthfulness of his word. When we realize how good God has been to us, then desire and hope come into our hearts, and make us humble before God, and we rather feel that God will also be merciful unto us, his children, and bring testimony into our hearts. I dare say that whoever reads this holy book, and reads this first verse, will have a desire that God shall be merciful to, him, as he has been merciful unto his people before.” (Conference Report, Apr. 1924, p. 109)

Bruce R. McConkie

“[Moroni] is not, be it noted, asking us to draw a curtain around the Book of Mormon as though it were the only book of scripture ever to flow from prophetic pens. All things must be kept in perspective. He is asking us to ponder what is in the biblical record and to put the writings of Mormon in their proper relationship to all else that has come from the Lord. All these things are to be pondered.” (A New Witness For the Articles of Faith, p. 465)

Moroni 10:4 he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost

LeGrand Richards

“The strength of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the power by which it is making such rapid growth, is the individual testimony of its members. They have put this promise to the test, and the Lord has done his part. Why should one be satisfied with anything less than an individual testimony, in light of the promises made by James and Moroni…

“The promised ‘marvellous work and a wonder’ is here among men. The message and the work may be accepted or rejected. The choice is yours. You may never again, in this life, judge such an important matter. Your decision will follow you with its consequences through time and throughout the eternities to come.” (A Marvelous Work And A Wonder, p. 416)

Milton R. Hunter

“This dynamic witness has come to me, as it has to thousands of other people who have followed Moroni's injunction. As a result of a gift from God through the power of the Holy Ghost, I know as positively as I know any other fact with which I am thoroughly acquainted that the Book of Mormon is true. It is a divine and sacred record of the history and religion of the ancient Americans. This knowledge is so thoroughly entrenched in my entire being that with all my heart, strength, and might I bear testimony to the divine authenticity of this holy book.” (Conference Report, Oct. 1965, p. 83)

Bruce R. McConkie

“Now I am one who knows by the power of the Spirit that this book is true, and as a consequence I also know, both by reason and by revelation from the Spirit, of the truth and divinity of all the great spiritual verities of this dispensation. For instance:

“I know that the Father and the Son appeared to Joseph Smith -- because the Book of Mormon is true.

“I know that the gospel has been restored and that God has established his Church again on earth -- because the Book of Mormon is true.

“I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet, that he communed with God entertained angels, received revelations, saw visions, and has gone on to eternal glory -- because the Book of Mormon is true.

“I know that the Bible is the word of God as far as it is translated correctly -- because the Book of Mormon is true.

“I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the kingdom of God on earth, the one kingdom with legal administrators who can seal men up unto eternal life -- because the Book of Mormon is true.

“To my testimony of the Book of Mormon I add that of the Lord God himself, who said Joseph Smith ‘has translated the book, . . . and as your Lord and your God liveth it is true.’ (D&C 17:6.)

“In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.” (Conference Report, Apr. 1968, p. 21)

Joseph Smith

“Search the scriptures…and ask your Heavenly Father, in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, to manifest the truth unto you, and if you do it with an eye single to His glory nothing doubting, He will answer you by the power of His Holy Spirit. You will then know for yourselves and not for another. You will not then be dependent on man for the knowledge of God; nor will there be any room for speculation.” (Teachings, p. 11-12 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 531)

Trying to summarize and post my feelings on my entire reading experience will take some thought and time. I will add to this as I think of things.

But repentance was so prevalent through the reading. How often during the Book of Mormon times were the people called to repentance? Over and over again. Yet there was a pattern. They would repent and become prosperous people only to start hardening their hearts again.

I've mentioned this a couple of other times..but I so grew to love Nephi. I've never felt in the past when reading and learning about him really a connection other than a figure in the Book of Mormon. This time was so different. I truly felt what a great man he was. When the time comes, he will be one at the top of my list of people I have to meet.

Edited by pam

I just wanted to thank those that took part. While each of us had our own "style" as to how to respond it's those differences that helped me learn and understand much more this time.

The challenge is completed! We’ve spent 40 days feasting on the Scriptures that were given to us as a result of the Restoration. Praise to the man, indeed! How can we not praise and love the Prophet for bringing us so much more depth and richness of the Word of God?

Moroni 5 – The manner in which the Sacrament wine is to be administered is set forth. Please note that changing times and circumstances resulted in the update in D&C 27, approving the change to water.

Moroni 6 – The repentant non-members are baptized into the Church and fellowshipped, while repentant Church members are forgiven. Meetings are conducted by the power of the Holy Ghost.

Moroni 7 – Moroni records in this chapter his father’s teaching. Mormon invites his hearers to enter into the rest of the Lord. For prayer or good deeds to be counted for righteousness, they must be done with real intent. The Spirit of Christ enables us to distinguish good from evil. Anything that persuades men to do evil, deny Christ, and/or not serve God is of the devil. The prophets declare the coming of Christ. Miracles occur and angels minister by faith. We need to have faith, hope, and charity, and pray for these things.

Moroni 8 – An epistle from Mormon to Moroni. He declares that infant baptism is an abomination, since children under the age of accountability are innocent through Christ’s Atonement. He speaks of the things that lead to salvation: faith, repentance, meekness and lowliness of heart, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.

Moroni 9 – Another epistle from Mormon to Moroni. Both the Nephites and the Lamanites are depraved and degenerate. He speaks of the tortures and murders each group commits against the other. He prays for Moroni’s well-being, that grace and goodness may rest upon him forever.

Moroni 10 – Moroni exhorts his readers to pray to the Father in the name of Christ, asking to know the truth of the Book of Mormon, and that knowledge will be given by the power of the Holy Ghost. The gifts of the Spirit are given to the faithful, and always accompany faith. Moroni says his words will speak from the dust. He exhorts his readers to come unto Christ, be perfected in Him, and sanctify our souls.

Our 40-day journey through the pages of the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price have come to an end. I wanted to especially thank Seanette for her revised schedule which allowed me to read the Pearl of Great Price 5 times in this 40-day period. I also want to thank everyone who accepted the challenge and actively participated in sharing their thoughts on the readings with us that we all might be edified and gain an increase in our understanding.

For those who joined us and perhaps for one reason or another were not able to complete all of the reading, please don't be discouraged. Though we had a goal in mind to read the three Standard Works in their entirety in a 40-day period, for me at least, the greater goal was to get people motivated and interested in reading the Scriptures on a more regular, consistent basis. The Scriptures are there for our learning and the only way we can achieve that learning is through reading and studying them faithfully. Leaving the Scriptures sitting on the shelf and never opening them except maybe on Sunday at Church, really and truly profiteth us nothing. In a sense the book becomes a sealed book, and we cannot learn from a sealed book.

With this reading I have now read the Book of Mormon 8 times in its entirety, the Doctrine and Covenants 9 times, and the Pearl of Great Price 13 times. Each time I read the pages of these blessed volumes I learn more and more. As I grow older and apply what I read to my own personal life, these Scriptures become alive and take on a whole new meaning depending on where I am in my progression in life's journey at the time of reading. I look forward to reading these pages many more times in the days ahead.

Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah! May his name ever be had for the good that he did as a humble servant in the Lord's vineyard to bring forth the fullness of the everlasting Gospel for us to learn and prosper from in these the latter days.

Edited by KeithLBrown